PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for lifter ticking

michaelmosty
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
I am looking for suggestions on what to do with my motor. At Hallett when I went off w/ no brakes my right foot rolled onto the gas pedal and red-lined the motor for the duration of my journey (maybe 5 seconds). Ever since then when I start the car up in the morning there is quite a bit of valve-train noise for about 3 seconds, some of ya'll may have noticed this at the last few events. After that everything seems to run alright and function properly.
I run Amsoil 20w50 racing oil and the oil pressure stays b/w 35-50 during a race.
When I built the motor before the 2006 season I put in new lifters and valve springs. Might either of these need to be changed???

With the extra time before the Houston event I feel this is the time to make repairs if necessary. Any suggestions and input is always greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am going to put on a larger p/s pulley and also wanted to change to the larger reservoir to keep the unit cooler. I saw that Corey has one that looks like a thick hose extension. How do I make this change?

Thanks everyone!!!

BSharp
05-04-2007, 03:38 PM
The main reason for the reservoir mod is to keep fluid from spilling out during right hand turns. Drain some of the fluid out. Put a rag in the reservoir, cut the neck then install a peice of fuel tank filler hose over the neck and put the park you cut off on top and secure with hose clamps. You will need to measure the OD of the filler neck, I do not remember. The hose only needs to be about 3 inches.

NASA13
05-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I changed lifters when they got noisy after warm up and after races. despite my accumulator. they were old.
If you have an accum then use it for pressure before start up.
if not change oil and if that dont work change the lifters.
If that doesnt work then change your head gasket a few times...wait nevermind. stupid head gasket and cracked head.