PDA

View Full Version : need fat a$$ seat

ShadowBolt
05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
As the new owner of CMC 17 I need a wider seat. Any ideas where to pick up one on the cheap and fast? Since it has a Corbeau now I'm thinking about a Corbeau FX1 WIDE. I may run with Apex this Sat. and the seat is goint to hurt like Hell! Also I was going to move the old drivers seat to the passenger side. How bad will it screw with the car if I move the battey box to the back floorboard?

Jerry

Al Fernandez
05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Maybe the previous owner can give you the data from the last time it was corner weighed? Otherwise...my guess is it might help given the fact that these cars tend to be nose heavy. At this point I wouldnt worry about it either way if I were you, just do what you need and worry about little details like this when you're battling it out with Glenn for world wide supremacy. :D

oz98cobra
05-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Moving the battery to the rear right seat area is very desirable in a CMC car! Go for it!

Besides, you'll need a passenger seat on Saturday so we can check you out at Apex to make sure you belong in the speedy group. Several of our instructors are current or recent CMC racers - we can put one of these guys with you and help shortcut the learning curve.

ShadowBolt
05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Maybe the previous owner can give you the data from the last time it was corner weighed? Otherwise...my guess is it might help given the fact that these cars tend to be nose heavy. At this point I wouldnt worry about it either way if I were you, just do what you need and worry about little details like this when you're battling it out with Glenn for world wide supremacy. :D

Doing battle with Glenn? I thought all I had to do was outrun Jeff Burch? I used to do that all the time in a Ford P/U truck while he was in a C5!

Just kiding Jeff,

Jerry

ShadowBolt
05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Moving the battery to the rear right seat area is very desirable in a CMC car! Go for it!

Besides, you'll need a passenger seat on Saturday so we can check you out at Apex to make sure you belong in the speedy group. Several of our instructors are current or recent CMC racers - we can put one of these guys with you and help shortcut the learning curve.

Lord knows I need to shortcut the learning curve.

J

jeffburch
05-08-2007, 03:14 PM
JJ,
Call AJ @ PST @ MSRC.
Take it a day early.
Buy a new Cobra GT Extra Fat and have him install it.
Move the other over aswell.
BTW, you don't need the passenger seat for NASA Comp School.

Also, just because the car is new doesn't necessarily mean some areas might not need attention. It might behoove you to give her a once over. Get her up and get to know her real well :wink:

jb

ShadowBolt
05-08-2007, 03:30 PM
JJ,
Call AJ @ PST @ MSRC.
Take it a day early.
Buy a new Cobra GT Extra Fat and have him install it. :wink:

jb

I just looked that those seats on the web site and they cost almost as much as I paid for the car! Corbeau has a wide for $344.00. I'll call AJ and see what he says.

Thanks,
Jerry

mitchntx
05-08-2007, 03:32 PM
I still have the clunker that I pulled out of my car.

It's not pretty, but it will work.

ShadowBolt
05-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I still have the clunker that I pulled out of my car.

It's not pretty, but it will work.

Are you saying you have a fat a$$ seat available?

Jerry

mitchntx
05-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I doubt you'll find one fatter in CMC or AI.

It's a sprint car seat ...

http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/mitch/DMSeat/

I was going to cut it up and make restrictor plates out of it. There is $100 worth of aluminum in the seat.

ShadowBolt
05-10-2007, 01:05 PM
The seat does not look that bad but how hard is it going to be to mount since I will need it mounted to an adjustable seat brkt? If I purchase another Corbeau I can use the current mount for the wide seat and install the old seat on the passenger side without it being adjustable. My son and I are both going to drive the car and he will need the seat closer than I. The $100.00 worth of alum. that is in the seat is not a problem since I buy over two million dollars worth of it each year.

www.picofab.com

We have four punch presses, a laser, ten press brakes, and four guys TIG welding every day. I bet I could replace the alum. in the seat with some good flat sheet 5052 or 6061.

Jerry

jeffburch
05-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Non FIA cert'd seats must have a back brace.
There are adjustable back braces out there (IO Port Racing, etc.).

I wish you could see the new seats that I and Nick Runyon just ordered from Ultrashield in Tyler, Tx.
http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prod.php?id=49
Both were custom fitted to each of us.
Mine took 3 months to show up.
Maybe you could look them over and start a sideline?
Have you ever seen a LaJoie seat?
http://www.joieofseating.net/
OMG!
The new rule regarding right side head support is coming up soon.
I suggest you research all your options prior to purchasing.
We got the roadrace seats with the head restraints.
I will prolly add the right side net also.

Good luck,
jb

ps, also see http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=15055

ShadowBolt
05-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Jeff,

I'm sorry to sound so dumb but are you saying that I need to get a seat with some king of head restraint. If I purchase a Corbeau wide like I was going to for $344.00 I would not be able to use it in a NASA race?

I just found out I have to add a NASCAR door bar to the cage in CMC 17. I don't know how in the Hell I will be able to get in it after that?

Jerry

jeffburch
05-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Mmm, you need to re-read your homework assignment young man!
There will be a pop quiz first thing monday morning.

Yes you would but at the very least are gonna need the right side net.

See http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/docs/2007%20CMC%20Rules.pdf

and http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?t=2168

and http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf

I needed a new seat and went with the head restraint type due to the new rule.
Otherwise, the right side net will be required per the new rule.
Maybe some of the Austinites on here can point you to someone to do the door bar.
Also, somewhere in the CCR it says that you must be able to get out of the car in 10 seconds.
Mitch Warren may also have a suit that will fit. Plus he does cages so maybe a call to him is in order.
We're all here to help.

jb

ShadowBolt
05-10-2007, 03:36 PM
We're all here to help.

jb

I've been blown away by offers of help already! I can't wait to get to an event.

Thanks,
Jerry

mitchntx
05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
We have four punch presses, a laser, ten press brakes, and four guys TIG welding every day. I bet I could replace the alum. in the seat with some good flat sheet 5052 or 6061.

Jerry

I think you have just become my new best friend ...

Jeff,

I just found out I have to add a NASCAR door bar to the cage in CMC 17. I don't know how in the Hell I will be able to get in it after that?

Jerry

You just need a 2nd door bar. If you remove the door skin and side impact beam, you need NASCAR style door bars.

Mitch Warren may also have a suit that will fit. Plus he does cages so maybe a call to him is in order.
We're all here to help.

jb

Glenn and I could probably help you out. We like the barter system ...

Can you hook us up on 1 3/4" DOM tubing? 0.120 and 0.090 wall thicknesses?

GlennCMC70
05-10-2007, 04:28 PM
.120" and .095" x 1 3/4".
we need some stuff cut out of aluminum sheet. we need to talk.

jeffburch
05-10-2007, 04:31 PM
:D

jb

ShadowBolt
05-10-2007, 05:08 PM
.120" and .095" x 1 3/4".
we need some stuff cut out of aluminum sheet. we need to talk.

Glen, Mitch,
We don't do anything that does not start out as flat sheet but I will call my suppliers and see what we can get the tubing for. How many feet do you need? It comes in 20' lengths. I called Westbrook (the highest place in the free world and the only one's answering their phones after 5:00 PM) and they quoted me $107.40 per 20' piece of the .120 wall. I'll find out tomorrow if we can do better......I'm sure we can.

On the aluminum parts you need, do you have any drawings? Auto-Cadd, Solidworks or Pro-E? My cell number is 512-658-7640. E-mail is jjordan@picofab.com

Jerry

GlennCMC70
05-10-2007, 05:17 PM
no drawings yet. we will talk @ the next NASA event. we need a few things done.