PDA

View Full Version : Sucking oil into cylinder #5

marshall_mosty
05-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm in the process of changing head gaskets, water pump, and radiator to try and solve the cooling issues that plagued me so far this year. (250+ degrees at the March Cresson event wasn't right. :shock:

When I pulled the lower intake and heads, the intake runner for cylinder #5 was wet with oil/sludge. The only thing I can think that would cause this is my motor is pulling oil from the PCV circuit and pooling in the upper intake. I guess cylinder #5 is the first place this "lost" oil will go.

I'm trying to remedy the problem by putting an expansion chamber between the PCV and the upper intake. The PCV will be plumbed to the bottom of the chamber and the upper intake hose will be plumbed to the top of the chamber. Therefore, if any oil is being sucked through the PCV, it will collect in this chamber.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/3889/170603.jpg

Of course, I'm using what I have available... and at this point, it's baby bottles! If this works, I'll probably do something a little more "high tech" down the road.

Sound like this might be the solution?

jeffburch
05-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Uhh Beavis, that'll melt, is too small, and the holes need to be on the same end (top).
Plus, if I put that on MY car, it would be sucked flat pronto.
I would look for a metal reinforced can made for this ap at Jegs or HRPWorld or the like.

See how heavy your brake booster is?
Vacuum will distort it.
Also, see tire vac thread.

Good luck Poppa!
:)
Baby bottle!
Priceless.
;)
jb

marshall_mosty
05-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to use this on a temporary basis to test my hypothesis. Eventuall I'll probably go with an oil separator from a compressed air system, or something of the like.

I'm just trying to narrow everything down right now. I'll probably plumb it inside the car to keep the heat down. Once all the epoxy has dried, I'll try the vacuum pump and see if it can withstand 26" of Hg.

rpoz27
05-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Marshall,

Try this - AMW PCV Catch Can

http://www.motorsporttech.com/fbody_engine01.asp

A buddy of mine is the one who designed these. They are well made and work as advertised. I think he sells them cheaper than MTI does. At least, he did when I got mine. Let me know if you want me to find out.

marshall_mosty
05-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Misty,
Thanks for the info. I'm going to see what I can cobble up before spending that kind of $$$.

If I end up wanting to go that route, I'll let you know.