PDA

View Full Version : ***NASA Rule Change- Effective JULY 1, 2007***

Racebrat
06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Clifton and I were talking this weekend and he asked me to get this out to the discussion boards ASAP so that everyone could be made aware of the new rule. This change will not go into effect until AFTER the NASA Texas June event at MSRH. The first event under the new rule will be Aug at TWS. I got a note from AJ at PST the other day that he will be stocking these nets soon so if you need one, go see him.

CCR 15.17.9 Head Restraint – Side Impact
As of July 1st, 2007 it is required that all drivers employ a right-side impact head restraint system. A seat with a “bolster” to keep the head from moving to the right side in an impact is acceptable. A side-impact head-net restraint system, such as the Racetech RTViperRP is also acceptable. Note- all side-impact head-net restraint systems must have a quick-release mechanism to aid the driver in case of a necessary egress via the
passenger side.

Note- it is recommended that a side net wrap around the seat and function to help stop the shoulders, head bolster (if applicable), and seat from moving sideways in an impact. It is best to follow the manufacture’s suggestions for installation of any safety device.

Please let Clifton or I know if you have any questions.

Thanks and we'll see everyone soon!

A

GlennCMC70
06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
us TX CMC/AI directors have already had talks about this behind the sences.
guys this is a "must do". i do not think there will be any grace period given for this.
AJ has marked the first net for me. i should have it installed this weekend if all goes as planned.

Racebrat
06-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks Glenn- I knew y'all were talking it up behind the scenes but he wanted out there for all to see. You are correct. There will be no grace period given for this. That is why we are trying to get all the info out now.

Thanks again guys- see ya real soon!

A

y5e06
06-11-2007, 01:16 PM
For those that have already bought, installed, or shopped for the nets are there any opinions on the pros/cons of the various manufacturers?

AllZWay
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
For those that have already bought, installed, or shopped for the nets are there any opinions on the pros/cons of the various manufacturers?

I am also curious. The Simpson seems pretty small and would look ineffective and I have seen other with a bigger net....but don't really know anyone using either.

GlennCMC70
06-11-2007, 02:05 PM
i dont like the Simpson one at all. its like 2 straps that come to a point.
the one PST will offer is like the fine mesh seem on some types of window nets. at the least, i'll bring mine w/ me if i have it by then.

gt40
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
How many of you guys are going to use a bolster attached to the seat? Is the one sold by Ultrashield sufficient?

GlennCMC70
06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
How many of you guys are going to use a bolster attached to the seat? Is the one sold by Ultrashield sufficient?

i bought one for my seat. there is a vid here linked somewhere in another thread about this that shows why i decided to not use it. i'll see if i can link it.

here it is.
http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14120#14120

mitchntx
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM

I installed the bolster. No regrets.

donovan
06-12-2007, 08:15 AM
This is what I am doing.

New Window Net on the driver side, I have an 20x18, new net is 16/24x18, covers more of the opening better(angled front), I am moving the existing 20x18 to the passanger side (currently no net):
http://www.mrproducts.com/detailimg.php?id=152

Right side Head Restraint:
http://www.mrproducts.com/detailimg.php?id=156

Left side Head Restraint Net:
http://www.mrproducts.com/detailimg.php?id=274

I have used M&R Products in the past and really like the quality of there stuff, over two other brands I have used.

DD

Al Fernandez
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Excellent comments, keep them coming in.

There is no "right" answer other than to have some restraint that meets the CCR in place prior to showing up at the August event. Seeing what others have done is very helpful though so once you've decided, let others know so they can benefit. :D

marshall_mosty
06-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I purchased the Simpson net and it fits well with the seat and other structure. It is in the head area, so it fits all the design requirements (I think).

It does taper to a point, but you would never get up that far in the net (unless you're plasticman). My net is wrapped around the seat and attached to the main hoop left side downbar on the lower link and directly above the vertical plane of the net on the upper portion of the main hoop.

Racebrat
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I've seen Marshall's set-up. It looks great and is probably similar to what will go in my hubby's car.

Just curious- how many of y'all are already wearing a HANS or similar?

A

donovan
06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
HANS - Yes!
I think I was the first on in Texas AI/CMC to have one...

DD

rpoz27
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Had the HANS before my car was done. Worn it from day one.

marshall_mosty
06-12-2007, 05:13 PM
HANS from Feb. '06
Right side net from Feb. '07

mitchntx
06-12-2007, 05:42 PM
My HANS is being worn by some crack head in Ft. Worth.

:x

AllZWay
06-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I haven't bought a Hans yet... still waiting on a good deal on one.

I do wear a neck brace that I was required to race on dirt with.

Al Fernandez
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
June will be my last event without a right side and general head and neck restraing. On the h&n I was hoping for some more competition to bring down prices, but that doesnt look like its happening. Oh well...

For those of you that dont follow F1, this video shows several views of Robert Kubica's crash this last weekend in Montreal. He was released from the hospital less than 24hrs later with a mild concussion and a sprained ankle. He drove himself away and expects to race this weekend at Indy. Wow! Those guys wear Hans devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ag0zhbYp4

gt40
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ag0zhbYp4Video's gone. :(

Guys, keep in mind that a HANS Device doesn't do much for side impacts.

Adam Ginsberg
06-13-2007, 05:46 PM
It's been put back. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ7iKXfLXs)

jeffburch
06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I got this;
"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management "

jb

chris-CMC#35
06-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Try using the link in Adam's post - it just worked for me.

-chris

gt40
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Try using the link in Adam's post - it just worked for me.

-chrisNope -- it's gone again.

There's a couple of links over on Corner-Carvers in the '07 Canadian GP thread that were working this morning...

Adam Ginsberg
06-14-2007, 12:09 PM
That's pretty frustrating. I don't know Canadian laws, but in the US, photographers have significant rights (http://www.kantor.com/useful/Legal-Rights-of-Photographers.pdf) when it comes to what is, and isn't permitted.

Al Fernandez
06-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah, looks like the FIA is out shutting down videos of this as they crop up. Too bad really because it is a horrible looking hit, says a lot about the technology going into those cars to survice that kind of impact. I watched it live and thought he was done for.

Todd Covini
06-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Al...as my teammate, I insist that you wear my HANS for the June event.
In the immortal words of Mikey, "Try it, you'll like it!!!"

-=- T

Racebrat
06-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Al...as my teammate, I insist that you wear my HANS for the June event.
In the immortal words of Mikey, "Try it, you'll like it!!!"

-=- T

Here, here, Todd! I've been trying to get KC into one for 2 years but he butts heads with me constantly....says he's too claustrophobic....anyone else have this issue? What about a rapid exit....do you feel the "dracula" collar on the HANS will impeed you from getting out in a hurry? Rapid exit in case of fire is my biggest fear...

Todd Covini
06-15-2007, 09:58 AM
I'll have my HANS/helmet and gear at the track for free trials that whole weekend.

In the car, I feel more solidly planted with the HANS. It allows me to put more force on the straps and really locks me in the seat with the horsecollar. Without it, I feel like the 2 straps are minimal now.

Regarding egress, I can pop outta that thing pretty quickly. You do it enough times it becomes habit. Those of us with fat necks, do have a bit of a pain sliding it on and off and there really isn't a larger model to help that. But again...do it enough and it becomes the norm.

I heard a dyno operator last month say "I can't get into or out of these dang roadrace cars...you gotta do it. I get claustrophobic...I'm used to the single door bar down low on all the drag cars that come in. I don't know how you guys do it!?!?! Why do you need all those bars in the way?

I smiled and thought of the HANS.

-=- Todd

Al Fernandez
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm in Todd.

Pretty weak to use the "claustrophobic" excuse when avoiding the hans when you drive a Miata. How come he aint claustrophobic now? :lol:

gt40
06-18-2007, 05:45 PM
"HANS = claustrophobic." I usually point out that a coffin is more claustrophobic!

cobra132
06-18-2007, 07:28 PM
I bought an Isaac head and neck restraint and like it. Its real easy to get out of. The data looks good. Cost is about the same as the Hans. I'll be at MSRH this weekend, check it out. FMR

gt40
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
I bought an Isaac head and neck restraint and like it. Its real easy to get out of. The data looks good. Cost is about the same as the Hans. I'll be at MSRH this weekend, check it out. FMRThe ISSAC was (and still is,) at the top of my list, only since it isn't SFI-certified I got a HANS instead.

michaelmosty
07-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Is there an update on the group purchase for the side net from PST?
Thanks for any updates. 8)

GlennCMC70
07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Is there an update on the group purchase for the side net from PST?
Thanks for any updates. 8)

i'll be seeing AJ tomorrow, i'll find out.

GlennCMC70
07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
the PST net will not be ready in time for the new rule requirement. i'm waiting on a call back from AJ about getting a net from another vendor and pricing. if you plan on getting a net, start working on getting one. i'll post up here w/ whatever AJ tells me.

mitchntx
07-12-2007, 06:28 PM
the PST net will not be ready in time for the new rule requirement. i'm waiting on a call back from AJ about getting a net from another vendor and pricing. if you plan on getting a net, start working on getting one. i'll post up here w/ whatever AJ tells me.

I saw AJ this afternoon and explained to him that many were waiting on the PST right side restraint.

If it wasn't gonna happen, he needed to speak up and let folks know because many are out of compliance as of 2 weeks ago.

He said he would post up any alternative in the morning.

AJ@PST
07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
PST will have a net solution tomorrow. We are sorry that we could not put this together earlier. Thank you to those who waited.

We have a line on a new net that we were trying to help launch. The new net has a trick quick release mechanism that we are waiting for SFI to approve. This has taken some time and still is. The new net will not be available in time for the August TWS event. So we are moving on temporarily and persuing a deal for either the safety solutions net or the teamtech brand net. I will have pricing tomorrow and will post up soon with that information.

mitchntx
07-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Or tonight ...

AJ@PST
07-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I really hate to keep people waiting. You all know what I know...

AI#97
07-13-2007, 01:00 AM
For those that want to do the seat with a helmet Halo, I will add this... Houston was the first Race event that I had the custom seat I had made from ultrashield with the right side support built into the seat. It is a perfect fit and comfort and control while getting beat in the car was superb. If you are thinking of doing the same thing, their lead time was 12 weeks from the day of my sitting with helmet and HANS on and it was well worth the day off and drive to Tyler to get this seat made. Night and day difference from the old Kirkey seat which has now been moved to the right for added fun.

Please note that in my case, I had the right side support shortened 2" from what was "stock" and I was smart in doing so because it would have blocked the passenger side mirror from view.

Given these guys are in Tyler, it makes it all very easy to get your butt planted the right way!!!

GlennCMC70
07-13-2007, 01:09 AM
i drove to Tyler back in 2001 to have a pair of seats made. the one i have now in my CMC car and the one that ended up in Steve Mulders car. Mitch, Daron Cooke, Nick Runyun, Jeff Burch have also purchased seats from them based off my word and been happy.
Argent Labs is now a dealer for these. i'll be getting the same seat Matt and Nick got after this season.
the point? i've been very happy w/ my Ultra Shield seat as have many others.

AJ@PST
07-13-2007, 02:36 PM
PST net options -

Teamtech - 165.00
Safety Solutions C5R - Polyester - $95.00

Teamtech is a mesh center and the Safety Solutions is 100% ribbon. I am sorry that we could not do better on this. When the net we were working on is approved I will post up.

Thanks

jeffburch
07-13-2007, 04:22 PM
i drove to Tyler back in 2001 to have a pair of seats made. the one i have now in my CMC car and the one that ended up in Steve Mulders car. Mitch, Daron Cooke, Nick Runyun, Jeff Burch have also purchased seats from them based off my word and been happy.
Argent Labs is now a dealer for these. i'll be getting the same seat Matt and Nick got after this season.
the point? i've been very happy w/ my Ultra Shield seat as have many others.

Well actually I went to http://www.vickracing.us/

Only because it's the only game in the area on custom fitted race seats.

If I could have gotten fitted locally for a LaJoie, I might have put up the money.

Todd Covini
07-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I bought a Cobra seat from PST last season and then the seat installation was custom fitted for me. Pedals, height, set-back, angle, HANS everything was taken into consideration. Fits like a glove!!!

What was my take-away? If you have the opportunity to be custom fitted for a seat or seat installation by a pro, do it! The comfort level in the car really raises confidence in the car and really makes a difference!!!

-=- Todd

...now about those nets....

ShadowBolt
07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
PST net options -

Teamtech - 165.00
Safety Solutions C5R - Polyester - $95.00

Teamtech is a mesh center and the Safety Solutions is 100% ribbon. I am sorry that we could not do better on this. When the net we were working on is approved I will post up.

Thanks

I will be on a tight schedule after vacation to make TWS. I will have a week to get a new seat installed and this net. Any how-to's on installing the right side net in a 89 POS........I mean Mustang?

JJ

GlennCMC70
08-16-2007, 07:50 AM
looks like the new rule is already getting changed.

go tot his link and read page 2.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?p=16326#16326