PDA

View Full Version : Honey, I wrecked the Porsche

cjlmlml
06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118186544305536109.html?mod=weekend_leisure_bann er_left

Fbody383
06-15-2007, 01:56 PM
"In some cases, drivers say they got into trouble after shutting off the car's traction control system to get a more "authentic" sports-car experience."

I was at Bondurant several years ago and had dropped in behind my instructor and we were catching another guy in our group. He goes around the corner and over the hill and we see dust as we go over the hill. So much dust that you can't see a bright yellow corvette. He had gone late, late then off. Good news is he was ok and bought the insurance... only cost him $6k.

That got the entire group the traction control talk, from Bob.

David Love AI27
06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
I have only been instructing for a couple of months and already been with a couple of these idiots.... I bet this thread will bring out some great stories...

Best one for me was the guy who couldn't drive his brand new GT-40 and was overly impressed with his "ridealong" in my Neon... commented to his dad "Dad, that car is FAST!!!" dad responded with "What car?" Son: "that Neon!!" Dad was pissed and son never got better... maybe he needed better instructor or a baseball bat to the head... anyway... now when I'm around an exotic car on the highway, I get out of the way...

mitchntx
06-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Student: "I'm so nervous and scared."

Me: "There is nothing wrong with a good healthy respect for a Vette on a tight road course."

Student: "I keep feeling like I'm gonna spin out."

Me: "eally? How fast did you driver your Suburban on 114 to get here?"

Student: "I drive about 70-75."

Me: "Lady, your doing just 1/2 of that now. Trust me, you aren't gonna spin out at 40mph."

GlennCMC70
06-15-2007, 10:12 PM
me in the passenger side of a C5. ownwer driving.
owner: i gotta pull into hot pit, i'm getting car sick."

i thought i was gonna loose it when i said "sure, do whatever you need to do." :roll:

mitchntx
06-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Five cars in a choreographed pack going into T3 at TMS at 125 and the passenger begins screaming and grabs my right arm.

After getting everything back under control I said, "Lady, don't grab me, please." And she was pretty hot, too.

ShadowBolt
06-16-2007, 07:45 AM
"In some cases, drivers say they got into trouble after shutting off the car's traction control system to get a more "authentic" sports-car experience."

I was at Bondurant several years ago and had dropped in behind my instructor and we were catching another guy in our group. He goes around the corner and over the hill and we see dust as we go over the hill. So much dust that you can't see a bright yellow corvette. He had gone late, late then off. Good news is he was ok and bought the insurance... only cost him $6k.

That got the entire group the traction control talk, from Bob.

I don't think I understand. Does Bondurant make you run with T/C on? How can you learn driving a car that the computer drives for you? I have never done a session with T/C or A/H on in the four years I've been doing DE's. I instructed twice for Rick with TDE and none of my students (I only had Green and Blue students) would turn off T/C in their C5's (since I drive a C6 I always get the new Vette students). I got very frustrated with them! I have always thought I would like to go to Bondurant but if you have to run with T/C on I'll stay away and save my money.
aybe I misunderstood the post?

Jerry

Waco Racer
06-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Student: "I'm so nervous and scared."

Me: "There is nothing wrong with a good healthy respect for a Vette on a tight road course."

Student: "I keep feeling like I'm gonna spin out."

Me: "eally? How fast did you driver your Suburban on 114 to get here?"

Student: "I drive about 70-75."

Me: "Lady, your doing just 1/2 of that now. Trust me, you aren't gonna spin out at 40mph."

Hey Mitch, was this when you were instructing Mixon? :)

AI#97
07-13-2007, 02:46 AM
First student I ever had!!

968 P-car, big bend full tilt and go STRAIGHT off.

Me: "so, what just happened?!"
him: "we went off..."
Me: "Why?"
him: "well, I hit the brakes and sort of forgot to turn in..."
Me: "I am already starting to rethink this instructor thing!"

I used to work with a bunch of seriously rich guys that drove lambo's, GT's both Ford and Porsche, M5's, Maserati's and Merc's of really impressive HP numbers! NONE of them could drive and most had been to Bondurant on junkets. They could all quote the 0-60 specs of their car and what a great deal they got on it or how rare it was but not one of them could drive.

I had a standing bet with a couple of them that if they could get within 2 seconds of my best lap at Cresson I would buy them a set of tires. Mr. Ford GT brags about a "flying" 1:26. I laughed as I told him the CMC record!

It's an interesting correllation that money doesn't equal brains or driving ability!!! :lol:

ShadowBolt
07-13-2007, 07:26 AM
It's an interesting correllation that money doesn't equal brains or driving ability!!! :lol:

Ever heard of the "Doctor Killer" airplane? Beechcraft Bonanza's are called that because you can have enough money to buy the airplane but not know how to fly it!

JJ

cobra132
07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
While I agree with you, no "doctor bashing". There are exceptions to every rule. :wink:

ShadowBolt
07-13-2007, 10:39 AM
While I agree with you, no "doctor bashing". There are exceptions to every rule. :wink:

No doubt!

JJ

Fbody383
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Does Bondurant make you run with T/C on? How can you learn driving a car that the computer drives for you? I have always thought I would like to go to Bondurant but if you have to run with T/C on I'll stay away and save my money.
Maybe I misunderstood the post?

Jerry

Jerry,

Sorry this took so long to get back - I missed the thread traffic. Every level of driver you can imagine at a weekend DE is at Bondurant. Including the guy that goes around you on an OUT/IN lap or without a point-by. They're just spending more to do the class.

I ran four days with the TC off - I didn't ask, I didn't tell. I was also listening to the instructors, respecting the facilities/rules and not repeating mistakes.

My take on their TC philosophy is that if you're not going to put the car in the right place and pointed in the right direction, Bondurant would rather have the car gather itself up. They made a comment, probably on the first day, that laptimes with TC versus without were nearly identical.

Here's my short story on Bondurant. I thoroughly enjoyed the school. The broad range of student skills meant I got less one-on-one instructor time than most - I think I was scored highest in the overall group. If you're thinking about going to a 'name' school, tell them YOUR expectations when you register and don't be shy about asking for a discount if they don't deliver. I have the in car video of the guy going off and learned at the 'butt chewing' that Bondurant had been behind me giving a ride; he made positive comments about my line and pace. I had two seat bolsters and a telescoping steering column fail and I ran the Formula Ford out of gas. Mechanic said, "You must have been hammering it." I replied, "That's why I'm here."