PDA

View Full Version : need some honest feedback.

GlennCMC70
06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
i want to know the primary reasons why some of you miss a few events a year and some miss most all the events a year.
this is an attempt on my part ot see if i/we can resolve some issue you guys may have that seem to keep some racers away.
please list an my reason you have for staying away.

i don't need this to turn into a bitch fest, i just want to see what "I" can do to improve the overall experience you guys have at the track.

to start, i'll list my issues.

1- too many events at the same track('s). we should find a way to run all tracks 2 times before we run any single track 3 times.

2- rising entry fee costs.

jeffburch
06-19-2007, 10:31 PM
I have diverticulitis.

dw

marshall_mosty
06-19-2007, 10:54 PM
1. Family commitments
2. David Donovan is too fast and I can't catch him
3. Kidding... I'd love to make every event, but I make what I can.

I start every season thinking, "I'm going to run all 6 (or 7) and something always comes up to squash that idea.

My '07 season is as follows:

Feb: Check
Mar: Check
April: Nope... Garrett was born (Family commitments)
June: Nope... Gage is having nasal surgery (Family commitments)
August: Check (haven't been to TWS since '04)
October: Check (won't miss the finale)

All in all, I'd love to run each track once. If we go to any track more than once, change the direction... it keeps everyone on their toes.

Al Fernandez
06-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Great thread Glenn, thanks for starting it. The best way for you, us (all the AI/CMC leaders) and NASA to improve is to know for sure what drives our drivers.

For me, there are two reasons why I'd miss an event:

1) Family commitments. I can try to push things around, but things happen that are well beyond my control, and racing takes a back seat to family.

2) Budget...I have a pretty firm budget, and if I blow it on big repairs it might mean sitting out a few.

Location doesnt really play into it for me. If we raced at one track every time I'd still go every time. HPDE-eske events just arent the same to me as real wheel to wheel. Now, if that one track was 400 miles away I'd probably end up missing one or two events because my budget would get hammered (there's a days off work budget too!)

ShadowBolt
06-20-2007, 07:45 AM
I have diverticulitis.

dw

There is always one $martass in every group.

J

AllZWay
06-20-2007, 08:17 AM
So far I have been able to make all events and the plan is still to make the remainder.....

but my primary reason for missing will be cost.

I have a set budget set aside for racing so as not to limit my families vacations...etc..

So the biggest problems would be failures.
The new Hans rule was almost a killer.

The travel to Houston 3 times and TWS twice is a huge deal from my location....but do still plan at this point to make them all..... provided nothing big breaks. :fingerscrossed:

mitchntx
06-20-2007, 08:29 AM
For me, it's a matter of priorities.

Oh I had this pesky thing called "work" that kept me occupied for the last 8 months or so, but mainly it's getting my house in order.

This is a nice diversion that can become all consuming.

cobra132
06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Oil pressure, if I have it I'am there. My plan/goal is to make every event. FMR

gt40
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I really don't want to turn this into a whine session or apity party. I haven't been making events because of both time (working a lot of overtime, which keeps me out of the garage,) and money (lost my job in January.)

As soon as I get more of both, I'll be back! I've still got August and October left. :roll:

(In the meantime, I've been having a blast instructing for TWSMC!)

GlennCMC70
06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Oil pressure, if I have it I'am there. My plan/goal is to make every event. FMR

i like your additude.
i cant stand the thought of missing an event.

Todd Covini
06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Family
Time
Money

It's like the fire triangle, remove one of them and I can't go racing.
Location and finishing order are irrelevant...I'd travel to race at the same track regardless.

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
06-20-2007, 01:42 PM
no one here has mentioned things like:
how the series is run.
how the events are run.

so i take it that those complaints have been resolved?
i wonder if some guys stopped coming because there was nothing to complain about?

jeffburch
06-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Maybe because it's negative.
Or it doesn't result in anything positive.
Waste of time.

For me, I'm gunning for the big race.
See ya at Mid Ohio.
Me not running a full regional schedule leaves limelight for others.
I also wanted to see other tracks (Road Atlanta/Hallet).
Yes, regional management leaves alot to be desired. Big deal.

jb

NASA13
06-20-2007, 05:06 PM
The light aint lime for me if someone who may faster is sitting at home JB.

I still dislike Houston immensely and its mgmt, and would not go there ever if we didnt race there every race.

Budget is a big deal for most of us, entry fees are a little high. Gas is real high, trucks exploding is the highest expense for me.

Also the car count has not been so good which snowballs. I dont want to race in CMC against 3-5 cars so I will skip etc etc. Then I become part of the problem. We need enthusiasm and new guys to fill the pipelines again.

Bring in some more guys like Spinny, who hunted down everyone in the state with a car and talked them into racing with us. It is hard work but it pays off in car count.

GlennCMC70
06-20-2007, 06:09 PM
well said Cory. i too want every CMC/AI car in all the land to come out.
i think part of the publicity problem is once again NASA TX. i remember them saying they were going to handle it this year. i havent seen anything from them and i will mention it to them at this event.
at this point i'll end this and say i just wanted to see if it was something i was doing or wasnt doing. the vibe i get is this is just part of the cycle we (will) go thru. '04 was like 5 points collecting drivers (CMC), '05 was 15, '06 was 23. '07 is only half over, and i do not count it out yet, but we are still 10 short of last year. i guess after 2 years of gains in car count, we were due a hick-up. hopefully alot of folks have taken a well needed break this year and we will see those guys return. i know David F is building a car that should be ready next year. i recieved an email just today of another intrested person who is looking to run CMC/AI. we have Jerry w/ the old #17 who will be hopefully working off his last HPDE this coming event. Steve Mulder will be back. i expect big numbers for TWS in Aug. but more than that, i see really big things for 2008. i see new tracks. i see new names. and i see a new sence of community in this group that i saw back in 2004-5. i picked CMC because it was cheep. i stayed and continue to come back because of the friendships i developed since then. i want to see every driver who have ever raced in CMC since 2004 come back this year and race w/ us. i want to see 30-40 car fields in 2008. the series will not grow w/ you sitting at home. i have raced w/ drivers from all over the country @ Nationals, and Texas is the cream of the crop. a mid pack guy here is a top dog in alot of other regions. dont come out only to win, come out to race w/ the best CMC field in the country.
hope to see you all this weekend.

GlennCMC70
06-20-2007, 06:12 PM
someone needs to kidnap Lewis Tanner and bring himand his slow ass out for a race weekend.
yes, i'm calling your ass out Lewis. you aint got nothing for me son.

how was that?

David Love AI27
06-20-2007, 06:50 PM
I try to make 'em all with or without a race car... I like hangin out with you guys...

Update:

CMC 10: I'm going to tear it down completely and freshen engine, replace transmission and upgrade all suspension parts. Planning on first race start in '08

AIX 27: Plan to have it at TWS event.

CMC ??: Picking up 3rd gen for Jason. Plan for first start in '09

Jason should get approved to race at the TWS event. So with Amber in NC, LiiR could still be running 2 cars throughout the '08 season.

Reasons I don't attend were already stated.

As for the series, it is run as good as any other... I came here to race so show me the rules, tell me where to be and lets go racin'...

ShadowBolt
06-20-2007, 08:31 PM
I wish I could make it this weekend. I just have too many things to get done to be able to make it. I have no driving suit, gloves, or shoes among other things. I make five or six TDE events a year so I can't see why I can't make that many races. What is the entry fee for a weekend?

I have to say this and I feel bad saying it seeing how I have not run a singe event with CMC, but MSRH is a POS. I absolute hate it! I really like MSRC. MSRH is 240 miles TWS is about 100 and MSRC is 180 from my house so not only do I not like MSRH but getting there and back in a motorhome pulling a trailer is not all that fun. Before the race car I always ran DE's from Oct. to the first of June. The event at TWS the first of June this year and last were hotter than Hell. I really like to run in cool weather. Easier on me and the car.

Jerry

Adam Ginsberg
06-20-2007, 08:40 PM
i think part of the publicity problem is once again NASA TX.

This isn't some new revelation, Glenn. It's been discussed with NASA TX since 2003.

i remember them saying they were going to handle it this year. i havent seen anything from them and i will mention it to them at this event.

ROTFLMAO....yeah, a nice waste of turning good oxygen into carbon dioxide. Save your breath....it's the same story year after year.

It's not just publicity....it's how people are treated. Anyone pay attention to the high turnover of NASA personnel?

Until the Matus' get out, nothing will change. AAMOF, I predict it will get worse before it gets better - which is when NASA TX gets turned over to someone that really cares by actually doing the right thing, not just blowing smoke up people's asses.

That, coupled with several folks that flat out made this whole thing not fun...well, you get the idea.

GlennCMC70
06-20-2007, 09:40 PM
i didnt think i made any "new revelation" comments. i was in fact stating the obvious.

so we should just not say anything?

the problem is each and every racer should care about their own series. as for those who made this series not fun, they are gone for whatever reason and will be unwelcome if they come back and act the same way. there are many of us left, plenty for a good series, and my attempt here was to focus on them.

and Jerry, you gotta get over this heat thing. drink plenty of water and you will be fine. durring the heat of the battle, you dont even realize the heat. come down and do HPDE (or at least come hang w/ the group) and lets work off on getting your provisional comp license signed. no reason you shouldnt be ready for MSRC in Oct to go wheel to wheel. once you do it, you will wonder why you waisted all those years in HPDE. i know, i did it for 5 years.

Rob Liebbe
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Usually, other commitments in life - work and family, not that there's anything wrong with that - are what keep me from an event. This weekend it may be torn ligaments in my knee. But how much flexibility do I really need in my right knee anyway? Todd already volunteered everyone else to do my heavy lifting.

Entry fees being a bit high would be my only complaint that NASA has any control over.

Gas prices and my POS tow vehicle etc. are out of their control.

NASA13
06-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I will come racing if Liebbe comes Racing.
Rob, come to the track and I will show you my scars on my knee to prep you for your surgery.
The Surgery hurts far worse than the injury. I have a dead guys ligaments in my clutch knee. This explains why I lose control of my car sometimes.

mitchntx
06-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Cry me a freaking river ...

50 years old, 280lbs, arthritic knees and I'll kick your collective asses.

Bring it ...

NASA13
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM

Bring it ...

oh Mitch, you are plenty fast, but far too polite to kick any collective asses.
I wish you would though. :lol:

<patting Mitch on head>

You did say ,"no more Mr. Nice Guy" at Hallett.
Should be interesting.

mitchntx
06-21-2007, 10:46 AM

Bring it ...

<patting Mitch on head>

Should be interesting.

My car has been way too white for way too long.

Maybe a little red, a little silver and a little yellow paint will spruce it up a bit.

michaelmosty
06-21-2007, 11:00 AM

Bring it ...

<patting Mitch on head>

Should be interesting.

Maybe a little red, a little silver and a little yellow paint will spruce it up a bit.
Wow, I'm the first two colors listed! :shock:

(Note to self)
Stay in front of Mitch
Stay in front of Mitch
Stay in front of Mitch
Don't lap Mitch :wink:

mitchntx
06-21-2007, 12:13 PM

Bring it ...

<patting Mitch on head>

Should be interesting.

Wow, I'm the first two colors listed! :shock:

(Note to self)
Stay in front of Mitch
Stay in front of Mitch
Stay in front of Mitch
Don't lap Mitch :wink:

How do you like your donuts? Left side or right side?

dirwin
06-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Work, Work, Work, Family, Work, Work, Work, Family, Work some more.

Bottom line, this year has just gotten away from Dave and I both.

We started the year really thinking we would run for points all year, now we just decided to skip nationals. Things change. Glenn, it has nothing to do with you, NASA Texas, other drivers (except maybe Jeff B :D kidding). Just ran out of time.

Only complaint, and it doesn't stop us from coming, but 3 trips to MSR-H required 2 different 3 weeks stops at the body shop afterwards. I don't care for that track.

gt40
06-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Only complaint, and it doesn't stop us from coming, but 3 trips to MSR-H required 2 different 3 weeks stops at the body shop afterwards. I don't care for that track.You guys aren't saying anything that might make me want to race at MSRH. I think I'll just stip those races until something changes.

Looks like TWS is my last shot at racing this season.

GlennCMC70
06-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Robert, you should make up your own mind about MSR-H. i hate the drive, i hate doing it 3 times a year. i like the racing we have there as its normally pretty close.
just dont let the others here fill your head w/ fear.

jeffburch
06-21-2007, 05:42 PM
I like the track.
Not a cookie cutter road course.
Pretty technical with the kinks in the braking zones.
Plus the jump!
And the long horseshoes.
Fast 4th gear sweeper leading into a chicane.
Tough track to get right.
They just screwed it up with their fancy pit road.
I'm sure the surface hasn't been redone and is like a cobblestone street in the slow lefthand horseshoe.

My 1st time there, I went off at the jump.
Backwards out into the paddy.
Short shift/Lift going over the jump Grasshoppa.

jb

gt40
06-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Robert, you should make up your own mind about MSR-H. i hate the drive, i hate doing it 3 times a year. i like the racing we have there as its normally pretty close.
just dont let the others here fill your head w/ fear.We'll see. With all the changes to the car (entirely new front susp.) I'd rather have its debut at TWS, where I can better evaluate the thing.

Todd Covini
06-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Careful....TWS can bite too! :oops:

dirwin
06-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I have no problems with the track. Kinda flat other than the jump and like Jeff said, very technical, difficult to get right and the challenge of hitting the marks is fun.

I guess I should have been more clear, it's the inverted starts, and the wad up that results from trying to force 3-4 wide through turn one on the first lap. That's what I don't like about MSR-H.

j3ffbrooks
06-22-2007, 02:48 PM
how the series is run.
how the events are run.

i wonder if some guys stopped coming because there was nothing to complain about?

I think Adam hit the nail on the head.

Heck, I'm moving to CA so I don't have to give NASA TX my money.

I really did lose motivation to race because of how NASA is run in TX.

:roll:

GlennCMC70
06-22-2007, 10:44 PM
how the series is run.
how the events are run.

I think Adam hit the nail on the head.

Heck, I'm moving to CA so I don't have to give NASA TX my money.

I really did lose motivation to race because of how NASA is run in TX.

:roll:

i look forward to your compairison on TX vs Cali.

Lewis Tanner
06-25-2007, 05:19 PM
When the Matus' are gone, I'll be back. If they never leave, I won't be back. Simple as that.

Looking forward to Barber.

NASA13
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
LEWIS!
There you are! We miss you buddy.
Dont forget Pit Happens 2008

Cody Powell
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
LEWIS!
There you are! We miss you buddy.
Dont forget Pit Happens 2008

Pit Happens 08' woohoo I'll be there!

Mitch and JB I sent you guys some PM's on the RM website with no answer, what's up with that. Punks :P

Corey, Dave, Morgan, Boudy how you guy's doin?

Cody

donovan
06-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Cody,

Awesome, just finished up racing at MSR-Houston!!
Another fun weekend in the racecar.

How is Raybob doing with the body work, Whats the story with Tommy's car for sale?

DD

GlennCMC70
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
i noticed Tommy55 was the newest registered user on the CMC forums.

Cody Powell
06-25-2007, 11:20 PM
RayBob has a lot of black duct tape on his car, does that count as body work?

You never know with Tommy, his car was pretty beat up after LaJunta and I was trying to talk both of them into CMC, we will see.

I am worried about our little region here as well and how to grow it. The group leader for spec 944 is pretty aggresssive and creative when it comes to promoting his class.

I think they will have between 8-10 cars by the end of the year and some of those guys might have choosen CMC, I think they are pretty similar classes. We only have one maybe two in the pipeline for CMC this year giving us 7. I think there is a misconception that 944 is cheaper, if it is it is not by much.

I would love to make one of your races next year, will you guys do any in the Dallas area? That is about as far as I like to tow.

mitchntx
06-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Hopefully, there will be 2 or 3 in the DFW area at 2 different tracks.

It looks like I can get some cheatin' bastard seat time at Eagle's Canyon in September ... and get paid for it! 8)

mitchntx
06-26-2007, 04:31 AM
Mitch and JB I sent you guys some PM's on the RM website with no answer, what's up with that. Punks :P

Cody

Sorry ... I'll answer here.

I agree ... watch out for Corey on and off the track.

jeffburch
06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I am worried about our little region here as well and how to grow it. The group leader for spec 944 is pretty aggresssive and creative when it comes to promoting his class.

I think they will have between 8-10 cars by the end of the year and some of those guys might have choosen CMC, I think they are pretty similar classes. We only have one maybe two in the pipeline for CMC this year giving us 7. I think there is a misconception that 944 is cheaper, if it is it is not by much.

Wow!

4 banger Porch versus 8 cylinders of American Thunder!

Sounds like Cory's Reach Around Racing Club has a Rocky Mountain chapter.

jb

dcapps
06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
My buisness travel schedule has been the enemy of racing this year. Also, the car buisness is busy during the summer so it's tough to take off sometime.

As far as MSR-H goes, I like it ok, but would rather race there only 2 times per year max. Alvey and Irwin have had work and travel issues but we are all hoping to be at more races in the future. We've got so much work in the cars and haven't had a chance to enjoy them.

Todd Covini
06-27-2007, 09:39 PM
When the Matus' are gone, I'll be back. If they never leave, I won't be back. Simple as that.

Looking forward to Barber.

Lewis...I appreciate the honest feedback, but I think this is silly.
I might not agree with the way France is being run, but if I ever get a chance visit the 24 Heures de Le Mans....I'm there!!!

Let's see that Mustang bad-boy on track!
Swallow your pride!

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
06-27-2007, 09:48 PM
i too think its trivial to not race for those reasons. theres alot of work in your car for it to just sit so much.
these things that NASA TX do for us should have no relation to the reasons we race.
CMC = cheap
CMC = close competition
CMC = a really good bunch of guys/gal(s)
CMC = cheep

none of those things are in the control of those you have issue w/.
your too good a guy and driver to not be racing w/ the best CMC region in NASA.
unless this is not really why your not racing w/ us. could it be another reason?

Todd Covini
06-28-2007, 12:24 AM
unless this is not really why your not racing w/ us. could it be another reason?

Fraidy Cat?

http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Cat%20Scared.jpg

Al Fernandez
06-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Really the problem is he's a closet F-body guy and he doesnt want the rest of the C-C crew to find out... 8)

AI#97
07-13-2007, 02:29 AM
It's 2am and I can't sleep so I was catching up on 5 months of "being banned reading"...

Reasons for missing 3 events in order of actual importance...

1. Empty engine bay because driver stuck gearshift into first instead of 3rd at a DE event in November...ooops!
2. MF'ing Divorce...also known as budgetary issues! :roll:
3. Low energy level to spend time and money on a dusty racecar sitting on jackstands in the middle of the garage while tripping over a transmission, driveshaft and a slew of other engine parts.
4. through 10... Missing, let me know if you find them....
11. Management....I now realize it's as good as it gets and have reset expectations much lower....and the fun level somehow went up. classifying it as just not giving a shoo didley poo. Yes, I typed shoo didley poo.

$0.02 about MSRH and the new configuration:

.01 It's a racetrack, we race on it and I usually start at the far back. I am happy to have another track than just cresson and TWS to race on. Excited about Eagle's Canyon and can't wait to race on it too. Wouldn't mind going back to Hallet...much.
.02 Don't know what you guys are complaining about the new wall but I ran within a couple tenths of my best lap times there and I think the surface is faster than last year. No donuts or wrinkles and I hold the gas to floor going over the launch...if you lift you're a pansy! :wink: :P

Suggestions about management:

1. It's the only game in town. SuperRookie has learned that and no longer expects anything ground breaking.
2. They seem to suddenly be listening to suggestions. We should continue to make suggestions.
3. They are short staffed and need to hire from a "more experienced" base of employees. High School kids don't have the know how to handle things.
4. Promotion of the Region....needs serious improvement for ALL CLASSES. Racers shouldn't be the only means of promotion ideas. This is a tough task and requires a lot of effort.
5. Don't act like the only game in town....this is getting better as Jay actually thanked me for showing up in Houston and sounded like he meant it. Again, showing improvement.
6. Strive to be the best region...they need to figure that one out by working with National and finding out what makes other regions successful and then strive to keep things consistant. Go with what others have already figured out works. Just because Rick S. has a highly successful HPDE program in this region doesn't mean that NASA can't too.

That's about it....hope that wasn't too negative. :D

Todd Covini
07-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Good points, Matt!
(Watch you language.) :lol:

-=- T