PDA

View Full Version : Houston... we have a problem... maybe...

marshall_mosty
08-12-2007, 01:34 PM
As most of you know, during qual on Sunday at TWS, I though my motor went south. I had a huge vibration and when I pulled into the pits, there was a bunch of mechanical sound that I knew shouldn't be happening. I put the car on the trailer and called it a day.

Well, I pulled down the short block last night to find all eight cylinders intact with the rings and bearings all where they should be. All the rocker arms were in place and I don't think any of the pushrods are bent. #1 had an oily sparkplug, so those rings were probably starting to let some oil by and cause the smoking.

I had a bit of white speckle on the #5 combustion chamber and top of piston. It's powdery so I don't know what that means. I can easily wipe it off.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/10438/188148.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1280/10438/188149.jpg

I'm going to go on and rebuild this one since it was starting to smoke a bit on downshifts (junkyard rebuild can only go so long).

I'm going to tear into the transmission next as it is the only other thing that spins when the engine is running that would (could) make that kind of a noise.

I'll throw a new SFI balancer on also just to make sure I have everything taken care of.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was certain I would see some type of mechincal carnage when I pulled the PS head off last night...

Sometimes having everything look fine when you know it isn't is frustrating because now I have to go chase the failure somewhere else.

marshall_mosty
08-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Bingo... Ding, Ding, Ding... We have a winner Johnny!!!

3rd gear went snap, crackle, and pop... Took the cluster gear with it. Thankfully I have another 3rd gear, but will need to find a cluster gear.

The motor is also all the way down, so I'm going to take the time to build the motor the car has always wanted... a 331.

I don't have a camera right now, but you guys all know what grinded up teeth look like, so I'll spare the details.

See you guys in '08!!! My car might have to go on a binge and gain a bit of weight :( :twisted:

AllZWay
08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Put that sucker back together now... You have two months.

marshall_mosty
08-13-2007, 10:44 PM
James,
I'm trying... only time (err. my wife) will tell. :)

mitchntx
08-13-2007, 10:47 PM
James,
I'm trying... only time (err. my wife) will tell. :)

Do I need to get her on the phone again?

marshall_mosty
08-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Do I need to get her on the phone again?
Sure Mr. Ginsberg. 8)

mitchntx
08-14-2007, 07:42 AM
:lol:

marshall_mosty
08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Decided to rebuild the existing shortblock back to a 302 and use the 331 funds elsewhere.

Engine parts on order... hopefully Houston is a go!

AI#97
08-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Decided to rebuild the existing shortblock back to a 302 and use the 331 funds elsewhere.

Engine parts on order... hopefully Houston is a go!

I was starting to get worried! Both you and Donovan show up with aero one weekend then suddenly BOTH are talking 331's... Man, AI is starting to come back to life!!! :shock:

marshall_mosty
08-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Matt,
A 331 is definately in the works... just not right now. I'd like to live the "skinny" life before putting mandatory ballast in the car.

I should still be able to put down my needed 300/317 numbers with the 302 to make my minimum 2850. 8)

AI#97
08-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Matt,
A 331 is definately in the works... just not right now. I'd like to live the "skinny" life before putting mandatory ballast in the car.

I should still be able to put down my needed 300/317 numbers with the 302 to make my minimum 2850. 8)

I still don't see how the heck you are 200 lbs lighter than me! 50 or 60 in the driver seat yes, but where on earth is the rest?!!!! And you have an iron bottom end?!!! :? :? :? :cry:

marshall_mosty
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
If it doesn't make the car stop, accelerate, turn, or provide safety... it is removed.

ShadowBolt
08-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Marshall,

Unless you cleaned off the top of that piston it looks to me like it was running way lean? The white stuff could be the spark plug melting from heat if I'm right and it is lean. I would want to know what the white stuff was and what caused it. It's not normal.

JJ

AI#97
08-14-2007, 06:22 PM
If it doesn't make the car stop, accelerate, turn, or provide safety... it is removed.

Yes...and lexan and fiberglass and carbon fiber and all... sure there is still 10lbs of sound deadening in my car but still not seeing the rest. I guess there is just that much more steel in the newer cars like some have suggested elsewhere.

marshall_mosty
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Unless you cleaned off the top of that piston it looks to me like it was running way lean? The white stuff could be the spark plug melting from heat if I'm right and it is lean. I would want to know what the white stuff was and what caused it. It's not normal.

Jerry,
I'm going to bump the fuel pressure after the rebuild. For some reason, my motor goes very lean from 3K-4K... don't know why. Below 3K is fine and above 4K is fine...

Since I have to redyno anyway, I'll tweak the fuel and see what happens. I couldn't tell that it was detonating and the spark plugs were all nice amber colored electrodes (except the oily #1 cylinder).