PDA

View Full Version : right side restraint FYI!!! everyone needs to read this!

GlennCMC70
08-16-2007, 07:48 AM
go to the following link and read page 2. all of it! :evil: :evil: :evil:

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/cmcbb/viewtopic.php?p=16326#16326

marshall_mosty
08-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Very nice... glad I spent $70 on a net in January.

AI#97
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
did you honestly expect anything different? What about HANS requirements...should have learnd that lesson then! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jeffburch
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
True, but a HANS doesn't depreciate.
I didn't throw $900 out the car window.
jb

michaelmosty
08-16-2007, 04:49 PM
If something flew out of your window then obviously your window net doesn't meet the intent of the safety requirements.
Please have this fixed before the next event. :P

AI#97
08-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I love how you guys are throwing this word "intent" around when it clearly is meaningless...

And Glenn, maybe I didn't read the entire post but what is the point we are trying to make here...? Nets ok? Halo Ok? Halo only if built into the seat? Not going back to CMC site to read the skivvy so give me the cliff's notes por favor!

Thanks!

GlennCMC70
08-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I love how you guys are throwing this word "intent" around when it clearly is meaningless...

And Glenn, maybe I didn't read the entire post but what is the point we are trying to make here...? Nets ok? Halo Ok? Halo only if built into the seat? Not going back to CMC site to read the skivvy so give me the cliff's notes por favor!

Thanks!

go to the CMC site and read about it. it too much to re-post it here.

plus, it does not affect you as you bailed on Nat's and your selling the car.

jeffburch
08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

jb

AI#97
08-16-2007, 09:12 PM

Thanks!

go to the CMC site and read about it. it too much to re-post it here.

plus, it does not affect you as you bailed on Nat's and your selling the car.

uhm.....it would be nice to know if the car I am selling is still going to be legal or not. :roll:

GlennCMC70
08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
sounds like it would be worth your time to register then.

or start your own thread over on the AI forums.

mitchntx
08-16-2007, 09:24 PM

It's meaningless til you show up at tech and the subjective becomes reality.

Cliff notes:

Bolster is acceptable and written in the rule using the term "bolster"
Bolster means support according to the dictionary.
If the bolster moves with some effort it won't pass intent.

So is it a support as it is written or really a restraint?

The obvious answer is a restraint is a restraint. OK, I can deal with that. But bolster leaves it WAY too wide open. So those of us took the rule as it was written, were proactive and supposedly in compliance by the deadline are now out of compliance.

In CMC, if it's not in the rules you can't do it. It should read if you can't read minds, your screwed. And they wonder why this series isn't growing by leaps and bounds.

So, it appears I'm done for the season.

mitchntx
08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
For you older guys ...

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/mp3clips/newmoviespeeches/moviespeechcoolhandluke152492529.mp3

y5e06
08-17-2007, 09:00 AM

Shesssh, it is a $75 net. Not hard to install. just put it in and quit your bitchin'. I had to pull the dash, weld in a couple tabs, and put everything back together. only takes a few hours. You've got TWO whole months

In my opinion it was clear what the intent was. The rules were written poorly. But if you installed that ultra shield type side bolster thinking it would actually do ANYTHING for driver protection in a crash, well, thats just just bad judgement. And, again, in my opinion if you installed the bolster it was knowingly done to satisfy the rules and not for the sake of any real substantial safety improvement.

I had the side bolsters on hand since last year and I went ahead and bought a net as it is quite obvious the bolsters are flimsy at best.

AllZWay
08-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Very nice... glad I spent $70 on a net in January.

I just bought the net also.... I have some Kirkey "bolsters".....but after seeing the video of the bent ones.... I chose a net anyway.

jeffburch
08-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I just got a 5/16 stainless U-bolt. Will fab a backer plate.
I'm gonna fasten it to the firewall and run the strap thru an a/c vent hole hopefully.

I concur with every point made by MD!
Need cheese.

jb

marshall_mosty
08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I just got a 5/16 stainless U-bolt. Will fab a backer plate.
I'm gonna fasten it to the firewall and run the strap thru an a/c vent hole hopefully.

Damn good solution JB!

michaelmosty
08-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm sure the manufacturers have tested their nets and they have results that they work for side to side head movement but I have always had a wierd feeling about their safety. I might be the only person in the world thinking this but....

I don't see how this net will do much to protect your head IF YOU WEAR A HANS.
I have my net as tight as I can to my seat and when I am fully belted in w/ HANS attached I can not move my head and touch the net. I know that during a crash your body moves in ways you never thought possible but I feel that the HANS limits your head movement so the net will never come into play.

Regardless of my thoughts I had no problem spending the $75 to get the net and comply with the rules. I feel that the HANS will hold my head in place 1,000 times better than the net.
Am I the only crazy person that thinks this? :)

jeffburch
08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
HANS will limit forward extension of your noggin only.

jb

michaelmosty
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
When fully belted in I can't turn my head and see out of the passenger side window. On a cool down lap I have to pull the quick-disconnect to look at the person next to me to make sure I am getting a thumbs up and not a finger. :lol:
With the belts over the HANS fully strapped in it limits my head movement every direction not just forward.

y5e06
08-17-2007, 12:39 PM
http://hansdevice.com/core/media/media.nl?id=177&c=337809&h=ead85e43f16fb06f151e&_xt=.pdf

page 5.

Hans is for frontal impacts.

side nets & restraints are to control side forces and guide/control driver's body from those movements.

mitchntx
08-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Shesssh, it is a $75 net. Not hard to install. just put it in and quit your bitchin'. I had to pull the dash, weld in a couple tabs, and put everything back together. only takes a few hours. You've got TWO whole months

In my opinion it was clear what the intent was. The rules were written poorly. But if you installed that ultra shield type side bolster thinking it would actually do ANYTHING for driver protection in a crash, well, thats just just bad judgement. And, again, in my opinion if you installed the bolster it was knowingly done to satisfy the rules and not for the sake of any real substantial safety improvement.

I had the side bolsters on hand since last year and I went ahead and bought a net as it is quite obvious the bolsters are flimsy at best.

Point taken, Morgan.

My plan was to install a net in the off-season when I had plenty of time to remove the dash, do about 1/2 dozen other things while I'm there and then reinstall everything.

Couple that with the fact that I'm neck deep helping that Landrum cat prep for Nationals, it's really only a couple weeks. So, don't be so quick to pass judgment before you have all the facts.

Before the rule was written, less than 10% of the racers had ANY kind of right side head restraint. And all was well. The net was available and encouraged, but everyone had made decisions concerning safety based upon their own level of awareness.

Watch the video and if your awareness changed, then God speed.

But now everyone is Mr. Safety and condemning those who don't conform to some arbitrary and subjective standard.

It's not the increased safety I'm against, it's arbitrary and subjective nature of "intent", "interpretation" and "implementation".

If I weld a piece of roll cage tubing to the cross bar, cut a mounting plate and bolt it to the side bolster and then weld the tubing to the mounting plate, the "bolster" will no longer deflect which is the "new" standard. Does that meet intent?

I'm OK with the bolt on bolster. I'm also OK not wearing a HANS. It's MY personal choice.

Now before you proclaim the stupidity of such a statement, make sure your own house is in order, like wearing shoes with the soles coming unglued, holes in gloves, lacking every conceivable tube allowed in a roll cage, skimped a little on a fire system, electrical wiring running along steel braided hoses, etc., etc., etc.

You see ... we ALL make choices and decisions based upon a level of comfort. We all have access to the same set of rules and same level of education. Don't impose your standards on me.

mitchntx
08-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Shesssh, it is a $75 net.

Not any more ... price them today.

Supply, meet demand ...

GlennCMC70
08-17-2007, 03:00 PM

Point taken, Morgan.

My plan was to install a net in the off-season when I had plenty of time to remove the dash, do about 1/2 dozen other things while I'm there and then reinstall everything.

Couple that with the fact that I'm neck deep helping that Landrum cat prep for Nationals, it's really only a couple weeks. So, don't be so quick to pass judgment before you have all the facts.

Before the rule was written, less than 10% of the racers had ANY kind of right side head restraint. And all was well. The net was available and encouraged, but everyone had made decisions concerning safety based upon their own level of awareness.

Watch the video and if your awareness changed, then God speed.

But now everyone is Mr. Safety and condemning those who don't conform to some arbitrary and subjective standard.

It's not the increased safety I'm against, it's arbitrary and subjective nature of "intent", "interpretation" and "implementation".

If I weld a piece of roll cage tubing to the cross bar, cut a mounting plate and bolt it to the side bolster and then weld the tubing to the mounting plate, the "bolster" will no longer deflect which is the "new" standard. Does that meet intent?

I'm OK with the bolt on bolster. I'm also OK not wearing a HANS. It's MY personal choice.

Now before you proclaim the stupidity of such a statement, make sure your own house is in order, like wearing shoes with the soles coming unglued, holes in gloves, lacking every conceivable tube allowed in a roll cage, skimped a little on a fire system, electrical wiring running along steel braided hoses, etc., etc., etc.

You see ... we ALL make choices and decisions based upon a level of comfort. We all have access to the same set of rules and same level of education. Don't impose your standards on me.

what he said.

i made a choice based on the written rule. a bolt on bolster of questionable strength is not different than the choice between a 2.5lb hand held fire exstinguisher and a 10 fire system. some picked the 2.5 lb hand held based on price.
some here picked a net, some picked a bolster. to me the bolster would disapate some of the engergy. possibly just enough to be a non-issue. a bolster does not expire. i had plans of getting a new seat w/ head restraints, just not this year. now some of that seat money will go towards a net to replace my bolster.

jeffburch
08-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Everytime I complain the coffee is too weak I hear "well at least I made it"

How are these other examples of choices made regarding safety equipment relevant?

They're just diversionary.
Like siblings blabbing to their parents.
"But Jeffy got to stay up late when he had friends over"

jb

mitchntx
08-17-2007, 04:32 PM

How are these other examples of choices made regarding safety equipment relevant?

jb

So your choices are all correct and those that I make are questionable?

Oh ... teach me Yoda. :roll:

jeffburch
08-17-2007, 05:29 PM

jb

My choices aren't the issue, and
"Those" implys more than one.
The choice in question is the ONE made to strap on the side bolsters that are now deemed inadaquate. Albeit retrospective.
Please stay on the topic of this thread.

jb

mitchntx
08-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Understood, Yoda

Cya

jeffburch
08-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Yoda
Great.
I'll add that one to my list.

jb

mitchntx
08-18-2007, 12:23 AM
If this was affecting you, Mr. Burch, I doubt you'd be so magnanimous and cavalier.

AI#97
08-18-2007, 01:44 AM
The choice in question is the ONE made to strap on the side bolsters that are now deemed inadaquate. Albeit retrospective.

jb

My point of requesting a REAL definitive answer...which probably won't occur for a few more months... is that if my new $900 seat will comply or not. I am fairly certain it will given the right side RESTRAINT is engineered into the total seat structure and not some flimsy add on. From the wording used in the other post, it appears they are looking to use some sort of Force test..ie and SFI standard test??? Whole other can of worms because with enough force you can bend ANYTHING.

Secondly...looking at most of the net installs at TWS, I am not certain it would do jack squat to protect your neck in a side impact. Most of the nets were located around the elevation of most of your shoulders well below the plane of the brain bucket which I would think would be worse.

I will add this much. For a couple years and most of last season that after a race, my neck hurt for a few days from all the lateral forces acting on my fat head and helmet. With the HANS and now the right side restraint, I had ZERO neck pains after TWS which has some pretty high cornering G's....mostly to the left! :wink:

AllZWay
08-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I will add this much. For a couple years and most of last season that after a race, my neck hurt for a few days from all the lateral forces acting on my fat head and helmet. With the HANS and now the right side restraint, I had ZERO neck pains after TWS which has some pretty high cornering G's....mostly to the left! :wink:

I'll second that.... my neck used to be sore after a race weekend before I bought my HANS, and now it doesn't hurt at all afer a weekend.

jeffburch
08-19-2007, 06:22 PM

jb

Weak in you, the force is.
Your whining quit.
The side bolster you bought meets spec not.
You learn the lesson.
For your x-wing only buy at approved Jedi supply. Yeesssssss.
Y

RichardP
08-19-2007, 07:30 PM
The side bolster you bought meets spec not.

The truth speak you not. It did and still does meet "spec." "Intent" does it not...

So we have these wimpy little bolt on wings that were only intended as head rests to combat neck fatigue and were never intended to be safety devices. It's reasonably obvious to most people that these things aren’t really strong enough even though they appear to meet the letter of the rule. They were installed by several people as the cheapest and easiest way to meet the new rule.

What if we take one of these bent sheet metal parts and weld a rib to the back side of it? That would be pretty easy to do and it would still be easy to install. I could get that done really cheap (and it is how I was planning on meeting this rule). It would be easy to make the wing four times as strong. Is that good enough? What if I make it 10 times as strong???

Of course the real issue is that tech inspector A at one event is going to say, “sure, that’s just fine,” while tech inspector B at another event is going to say “no way, I can still bend it.”

It’s not easy to write good rules and this one could still use quite a bit of work…

Richard P.

mitchntx
08-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the validation, Richard.

If this was affecting you, Mr. Burch, I doubt you'd be so magnanimous and cavalier.

What, no useless and meaningless quip for Mr. Pederson?

jeffburch
08-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the validation, Richard.

What, no useless and meaningless quip for Mr. Pederson?

Strong with young Pedersen, the force is.
Calling with a spot on their team, team Renegade is.
Also, effect yoda how does it not, hmm? Herh herh herh.
Not, yoda pilot x-wing aswell do I, hmm?
And very well I might add. Herh herh herh.
Y

GlennCMC70
08-19-2007, 09:21 PM
for all you who think this is about belly aching over nothing, would you have the same opinion if it was you in my shoes?

i didnt think so.

Boudy
08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I too installed the cheapo head thingy from Smiley's and I too am installing a net this week.

Boudy

Boudy
08-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Mine's in, I'm done! Got a kitchen pass so I went back to the shop. Took all of 1.5 hours.

Yoda made me do it.

Boudy

ShadowBolt
08-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Mine's in, I'm done! Got a kitchen pass so I went back to the shop. Took all of 1.5 hours.

Yoda made me do it.

Boudy

Pics?

Boudy
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Although Yoda turned me on to a u-bolt w/backing plate for the firewall, there was a cross bar just inside the hole in my dash so I didn't need it. The lower strap is tethered to the shoulder rest with a fabbed piece of aluminum strap bent and riveted and then routes around the back of the seat to the main vertical bar on the driver's side. The center strap connects to the bar intersection just behind my shoulder. The top strap is also tethered to the cheapo head rest and then to the main upper hoop.

Boudy

http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/boudy/Graphic1.jpg

jeffburch
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Yery nice Young Boudreaux.
Strong with you, the force is. Yeesssssss.
As soon as possible, order Yoda a replacement.
Y

Credit: http://www.yodaspeak.co.uk/index.php

ShadowBolt
08-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Very nice indeed. Only issue for me is that is where my gages are mounted.

JJ

Boudy
08-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I had a temp gage there as well so I just moved it over a few inches.

Boudy

AI#97
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Y

Don't you already have one of the seats like mine that has the "restraint" built into it? Am I somehow missing the fact that this won't be legal unless I ALSO put in a net? :?

Alright Glenn, I read the entire darn post on CMC forum...what was the epiphany you were given today other than a warning to "shut up mr. director..."?

GlennCMC70
08-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Y

Don't you already have one of the seats like mine that has the "restraint" built into it? Am I somehow missing the fact that this won't be legal unless I ALSO put in a net? :?

no you are not missing anything.

Argent Rob's car meets the rule in two ways. the aluminum "bolster" or the net is all that is required. Robert has both now.
i also have a net at my disposal as we speak. it will be going w/ us to Nationals as a "just in case".
JB's seat is legal w/ out the net, he is also adding the net as a double safety.

any more clear now Matt?

call me if you need to.
214-869-9603.

AI#97
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
any more clear now Matt?

call me if you need to.
214-869-9603.

Would have to see a picture of what Yoda has in his car...I am a visual type guy that has to see to understand mostly because I was under the impression Jeff had a seat identical to mine with the 1/4" aluminum bolster and welded in channel similar to what Richard was speaking of. Frankly, if you can bend it I would love to see it! :shock:

I suppose what I would like to see is a well written rule that might include descriptions of what is acceptable along the lines of " a 'halo' structure similar in construction to Ultrashield Race Products Seat Model RRSS". I imagine in time we will see something like that in the rules however, let's all work toward what is going to be acceptable in Tech in October! :wink:

GlennCMC70
08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
if your seat is as described, you are legal. have no worries.

Boudy
08-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Yoda has the Lightweight RR w/Halo which is basically and upgraded Deluxe.

Boudy

michaelmosty
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Who plays C3PO at your little get-togethers. :P

jeffburch
08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Who plays C3PO at your little get-togethers. :P

Your inquiry says things about you.
Forward his number if you like, I can.
Y
http://www.yodaspeak.co.uk/yoda.png

mitchntx
08-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Spy photo of Yoda and Robert (R2D2) installing the right side restraint in the 55 car ...

http://devan1.tripod.com/Pics/YodaR2.jpg

jeffburch
08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Nostalgic photo of LaW Motorsports proprietors
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/gilligans-island-10051869.jpg
Y

ps, RB=R2D2= :lol: :lol:

mitchntx
08-22-2007, 12:11 PM
I have referred to Glenn as "my little buddy" on several occassions.

GlennCMC70
08-22-2007, 12:40 PM
i sit here and restrain myself and i still get bagged on. :roll:

mitchntx
08-22-2007, 01:24 PM
ps, RB=R2D2= :lol: :lol:

H/W prop

Boudy
08-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey!!! So my mom's 4'6" and I like to eat.

R2D2 :roll: :roll:

Now continue bitchin' about the rules and stop with the fat jokes.

Boudy

Rob Liebbe
08-23-2007, 07:34 AM

Boudy

So...short jokes are ok then?

AllZWay
08-23-2007, 08:03 AM

Boudy

So...short jokes are ok then?

:D... I was thinking more short than fat joke.

Boudy
08-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Hmm... This thread has just lost its luster. We should probably move on now!

Boudy

Rob Liebbe
08-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Boudy

"luster" as in chrome-dome or shiny head - You're not going bald too are you?

Boudy
08-23-2007, 12:24 PM

Boudy

Gets a crew chief, wins a race, now he's a comedian... This group is just falling apart!

Robert

AI#97
08-23-2007, 12:39 PM

Boudy

Gets a crew chief, wins a race, now he's a comedian... This group is just falling apart!

Robert

Actually it sounds like they are ganging up on you!! ;)

jeffburch
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Naaaa,
just good luvin' and he knows it.

jb

AllZWay
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Naaaa,
just good luvin' and he knows it.

jb

Yep.... we kid 'cause we care. :D

Boudy
08-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Actually it sounds like they are ganging up on you!! ;)

Yeah, it's my turn for a while. hehe...

Boudy

Rob Liebbe
08-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah its all about the love!!!!!

You don't see us gangin' up on Lyons - do you?

Let's see if that wakes Chris from his slumber.

GlennCMC70
08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
yep, when we arent giving you shit is when you need to worry. who do we not give shit to though? :roll:

Rob Liebbe
08-23-2007, 07:52 PM
True, everyone has received a few turds.

Todd Covini
08-24-2007, 03:20 AM
You guys have too much hair.
Leave me out of it.

Rob Liebbe
08-24-2007, 07:24 AM
You don't have enough hair and you evidently have insomnia.

2:20 am posts?!?!?!?

mitchntx
08-24-2007, 09:29 AM

jb

:roll:

michaelmosty
10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Digging up an old thread.
I am looking to change side nets during the off-season, the Simpson net I have barely fits and I'd like to get another style.

I remember seeing some of the cars (not sure which ones) that have some sort of ratcheting system on their side nets. I would like to look into this one.

Any suggestions on a new net is appreciated.
BTW, I will be selling my Simpson net if anyone is interested. It would work good but the straps are just a little short for my application.

jeffburch
10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/?ID=19

jb

BlueFirePony
10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Michael - I've got the C5R one that JB linked.
It was kind of a pain to get the top lined up properly but I think now it should be fine.

mitchntx
10-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I installed one in the teal car this weekend.

What a royal PITA! It's unbelievably difficult to retro-fit and to get correct.

A seat mounted head restraint is by far the way to go.

Al Fernandez
10-28-2008, 06:41 AM
Meh...it only took me a couple of minutes worth of adjusting straps, attaching a bracket with my handy Miller 220V hot glue gun, tighten the ratchet and thats it. I'll agree a seat mounted brace is much better, but for the time and money it took me I have no regrets. That said I dont have the foggiest what brand I used. I'll check for you when I get back stateside next weekend.

mitchntx
10-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I guess when you see it, you'll understand.

It has a quick release mechanism. The strap that wraps around the knee bar isn't long enough for the quick release to clear the dash! :shock:

FWIW, it's a TeamTech mesh style.

AllZWay
10-28-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/?ID=19

jb

I have this same one... Works well and took about 10 minutes to install.

It took longer to cut the hole for my dash than to install it.

David Love AI27
01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I am trying to install new seat... old one had an approved side bolster, replacement seat is not same and can't accomodate bolster... I have a net but it is old... what is date requirement??? and if there one does anyone know where I can get net to be delivered by Friday morning???

HELP!!!

jeffburch
01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=C5R+Net&Category_Code=WN
Tell Ken to next day it.

Maybe call AJ and sweet-talk someone to fetch ;) :idea:

jb

BryanL
01-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I believe AJ is coming to Houston so that might help.

David Love AI27
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I've ordered from Ken before and I'll be getting sliding tethers from AJ... like to spread the love around...

Anywhooo thanks for the reminder about IO Port... called in the order, net will be here tomorrow...

Thanks again

by the way, the net I have is from 2000...

Adam Ginsberg
01-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Believe it or not, there is no expiration date associated with the side restraint nets. Why? Simple - there's no SFI tag required. Some net's have them, some don't...nets made for Sprint cars have them.

Check CCR section 15.17.9. You'll note there's no SFI specification mentioned.

AI#97
01-29-2009, 10:53 AM

so if I had a sewing machine and the 1" nylon strap....I could make my own?!

David Love AI27
01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Believe it or not, there is no expiration date associated with the side restraint nets. Why? Simple - there's no SFI tag required. Some net's have them, some don't...nets made for Sprint cars have them.

damnit... oh well now I got two of them suckers

Hood
01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
No worries David, I need one for my Firebird.

Adam Ginsberg
01-29-2009, 04:35 PM
so if I had a sewing machine and the 1" nylon strap....I could make my own?!

Well....provided it met the requirement in the CCR's (check out reference diagram 15.17.9-1 on page 68 of the 2009.4 CCR's), I suppose so - but that's not an official ruling.

This is another excellent example of why it's so critical to thoroughly read the CCR's. People should be reading them several times a month - seriously. As well as downloading them every month, since NASA makes regular changes (usually, changes throughout the year are minor).

Racers can save a few $$$ if they really understand the CCR's. If you show up at an event, and didn't know that window nets expire every 5 years, and yours is 6 years old, NASA can fine you $50 for the violation - $$ out of your pocket that didn't need to happen.

Replace items as required, but, with the RS head restraint, it doesn't need to be replaced on any schedule, as there's no expiration date for it. David Love could have saved himself some $$ and hassle if he'd read the pertinent section of the CCR's (not a dig or ding on you Dave, just an example).

What's very curious is the CCR's specifically mention the "Safety Solutions C5R Driver Net". If you look up that item on the web, it states, "SFI-37.1 Rated". Indeed, there's a 37.1 SFI spec - "Roll Cage Nets", SFI puts an expiration of 2 years on a 37.1 item (similar to harnesses, window nets, etc). But, the CCR's never makes ANY mention of the SFI spec, therefore, no expiration exists.

David Love AI27
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
David Love could have saved himself some $$ and hassle if he'd read the pertinent section of the CCR's (not a dig or ding on you Dave, just an example).

you are correct, sir... I damn near failed high school cuz I hated to read and never did my homework (not kidding)... this is why I'm all over everybody's cars at the track, just trying to see what others are doing and copying... why the heck do you think I ran AIX... less rules, less to read...

And for all the newbies, take a close look at the "frontrunners", they know the rules inside out...