PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake logistics for dyno testing

marshall_mosty
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking of building a cold air intake for my car that passes the air past chilled tubes, lowering the inlet air temp to the motor.. How will this be policed at both the annual dyno, track, and random dyno certs.

I would like to address any stumbling blocks prior to designing this sytem.

Todd Covini
08-21-2007, 10:06 PM
You're heading into uncharted waters.
I've always said that the AI ram-air intakes are adding unknown HP to the AI cars...and cold air pre-coolers could very well bring the issue to a head.

Send a note to JWL...he'll float it to the other AI series directors for a read.

(I'll be waiting with baited breath. 8) ) :D

-=- T

PS- Let me know if you want me to work it or if you will, Marshall.

marshall_mosty
08-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Todd,
Thanks. I just shot JWL a PM on the NASA Forums site.

Todd Covini
08-21-2007, 11:36 PM
He's probably going to be pretty busy this week.
I wouldn't look for an answer until next week the earliest.

-=- T

BSharp
08-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Ram air setups do not really work well on MAF systems. The turbulance creates havoc with the mass air meter at anything other than WOT. I have seen this plenty of times with systems that brings in air in from under the bumper or fog light hole. This is not the case if filter is just move to another place such as the inner fender.

AI#97
09-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Ram air setups do not really work well on MAF systems. The turbulance creates havoc with the mass air meter at anything other than WOT. I have seen this plenty of times with systems that brings in air in from under the bumper or fog light hole. This is not the case if filter is just move to another place such as the inner fender.

I have run houston with and without a ram air setup and the difference is that without, I top barely top out 4th gear going into the sweeper towards bus stop. WITH a small...2.5 inch in headlight setup I have to grab 5th about 200 yards prior to braking. I am interested to see what the new 5" setup will be like!!! :wink:

Marshall....I find it funny you keep adding weight back to the car!! :lol:

marshall_mosty
09-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Matt,
I'm having to manage the weight/benefit ratio... All the nice gizmos weigh something. I guess I could go to a glass hatch or lexan windshield at some point...

Hopefully I will pick up a few HP with this last rebuild so I can just move up my minimum weight a bit.

AI#97
09-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Matt,
I'm having to manage the weight/benefit ratio... All the nice gizmos weigh something. I guess I could go to a glass hatch or lexan windshield at some point...

Hopefully I will pick up a few HP with this last rebuild so I can just move up my minimum weight a bit.

One thing you may want to look at is a picture of John Lindsey's car at nationals. It was hosted on one of the big picture posts and had the entire nose off the car. He has a ducted box going into the radiator and has his brake ducts and his ram air intake plumbed to the radiator box. I am guessing that he has a VERY smoothed nose with NO holes in it. I am sure this prevents a lot of drag but I would be worried about cooling with such a small opening.

Adam Ginsberg
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
One thing you may want to look at is a picture of John Lindsey's car at nationals.

That would be Patrick Lindsey's car, AKA Ryan Flaherty's original AI car.

AI#97
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
One thing you may want to look at is a picture of John Lindsey's car at nationals.

That would be Patrick Lindsey's car, AKA Ryan Flaherty's original AI car.

Ooops! All those Lindsey's look alike to me! :lol:

RichardP
09-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Ooops! All those Lindsey's look alike to me! :lol:

Actually, I didn't think they looked at all alike... :wink:

Anyway, his AI car was really sweet. I got to look at it pretty well since it was apart basically the whole weekend. Four different LS engines and not a single timed lap completed. Ouch. Lots of stuff on his car that I would like to implement on my car. His other car was really sweet too. I didn’t get to see much of it.

Anyway, Patrick had a really bad weekend. Two national championships and was clearly one of the favorites for the third but walked away with a big goose egg when the smoke from tech cleared. A staggering amount of money and nothing to show for it…

Richard P.

donovan
09-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Anyway, Patrick had a really bad weekend. Two national championships and was clearly one of the favorites for the third but walked away with a big goose egg when the smoke from tech cleared. A staggering amount of money and nothing to show for it…

Richard P.

Update: 0(Zero) National Championships... He was DQ'd in the other two classes... to much HP on the dyno Monday!

That sucks... Wow...
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=17628
DD

AI#97
09-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Four different LS engines and not a single timed lap completed. Ouch. Lots of stuff on his car that I would like to implement on my car.

Funny how during the S-talk from a few months back I made the point that choking a badass motor wasn't good! I feel bad for the guy but it sounds like he needs a different crew working on the motor.

Would you care to elaborate on a few of the neat things he had that you liked?! :wink:

RichardP
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Would you care to elaborate on a few of the neat things he had that you liked?! :wink:

Uhhh... No. All you had to do to find out all you wanted about his car was show up to nationals. :D

Richard P.

Todd Covini
09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Ouch. :shock:

michaelmosty
09-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow, after reading alot of the back and forth bitching in the post about Pat it makes our disagreements feel like pre-school. :)