PDA

View Full Version : Live from Mid-Ohio (Updates)

Todd Covini
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
We'll try to update y'all on the current events here.
I'm typing from the hospitality tent and have talked to some of our guys here to try and post updates. (Feel free to cc: the other forums as needed.)

Everyone is having challenges getting here.
A Calif hauler lost 6 trailer tires on the way out.
The 7's only Calif. hauler blew 3.
Many folks couldn't keep trailer tires on their rig no matter where they were from.

From the Texas crew, Adam lost one...and so did Mitch.
Corey is stuck in Kentucky right now with fuel pump issues. He's at a truck stop and waiting for a dealership to deliver a new one.

At the track, Kirsch just nosed into a tire barrier. Looks worse than it is...he'll be fine.

Yesterday, Schlender broke a K-member at the PS rack and nosed into the tires. Pulled it out last nite and got it welded up...going back together today. Agent 47 lost a belt and ended up in the grass and did some minor damage to his splitter. (Man that car is cool!)

Looking across the paddock there are 4+ Texas flags. I've heard that Texas has the biggest overall regional participation!!!

There was an informal party in the Texas paddock last nite with ~30 of all the AI/CMC folks coming by for a beer. The FRRAX guys came by as well. Good to see last year's AI Champions (Rocco & Andrews) and all the other early arrivals. Beer was flowing...fireworks were going off (I thought those RM guys were going to get us kicked out!) and they even started a Texas hold'em game in Battlestar Galactica and Kirsch apparently cleaned up.

Weather's nice today...was rainy the past few days and so far they predict great conditions from here on out!

More folks expect to test today...they're offering half day rates now.
We'll try to update you daily until we crown our 2007 National Champions!

-=- Todd

AllZWay
09-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the updates.... Keep them coming.

When does everyone hit the track for something real?

michaelmosty
09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the updates Todd!!

James, official practice is all day Thursday and then Friday and Saturday are the qualifying races.

Glad to hear Texas is the center of the racing world up there, again. :D

mitchntx
09-13-2007, 06:23 AM
20 minutes after leaving Glenn's house, I look in the mirror and say, "Uh-Oh, someone has lost a tire."

"HEY! ... THAT'S MY TIRE!"

I follow it for about a mile as it weaves in and out of I30 traffic in Grand Prairie. It hit no one and no one hit it.

Sheered all the lugs off. Must've not torqued the lugs enough, I guess. I did use my DeWalt cordless ...

6 new lugs and a roadside repair job and 2 hours later, we are again MO-bound.

Rest of the trip was uneventful. Lot's of rain and lots of fog.

We arrived about 1pm local time and Todd/David a couple hours later. BS Galatica later that evening and then Agent 47. Boudy early on Tuesday morning and Jeff later that day.

Corey is here and sleeping like a baby while we all unload his junk.

Kersch's car is looking good once again after a couple hours of "tender" massaging.

Tommy's Firebird is on track and up to speed.

We hit the track in about an hour for the first time.

Temps are in the upper 40s at night and the middle 70s during the day. Nice!

Updates to come when possible.

PS ... the hospitality tent has awesome bagels, cookies and coffee!!!!

AllZWay
09-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Anyone have or know the day to day schedule?

I see mylaps is starting to show some track activity, but not sure the schedule.

michaelmosty
09-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Here is the day to day schedule.

http://nasachampionships.com/pdf/EventSchedule.pdf

GlennCMC70
09-13-2007, 04:06 PM
'sploded a clutch disc today.
1.5 hours R&R. missed 2 laps or so of the session it happend in.
next outing, dropped 4 seconds. :wink:

ShadowBolt
09-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Are you saying the clutch was slipping or you just got that much faster by mastering the course?

JJ

michaelmosty
09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
What are the lap times everyones running?
What are the times for the next closest competitor to the TX region? 8)

AllZWay
09-14-2007, 08:02 AM
What are the lap times everyones running?
What are the times for the next closest competitor to the TX region? 8)

From what I saw yesterday during their practice times..

Glenn and Jeff were in the 1:42 range.... most competitors were in the 1:45+ range.... and several in the 1:47+ range.

As for AI... I only watched DD... and he was in the 1:39 range.

y5e06
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
lap times etc.
http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=249854

today's qualifing results (CMC & FFR mixed in)
http://mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=653987

y5e06
09-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Friday's Qual Race results
http://mylaps.com/liveresult/liverun.jsp?p=overall&id=721

GlennCMC70
09-15-2007, 06:38 PM
positions 1-3 are tied i'm told. lap time will be the tie breaker.

GlennCMC70
09-16-2007, 10:12 AM
the grid is me, jeff, nick, and cody.

evarner
09-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Sorry to hear of some of the pain those experienced on the way to and at the events. Definitely bites to have problems just getting there.

So, all GM cars in CMC up front for the Championship race eh? Not surprising at all. Go Boudy and Reuth!!!

My hero of the weekend is David Donovan!! You are the Iron Man for sure! Sorry to see/hear the touble in T1 amigo while making the pass!!!! You did well and I know I'm really proud of YOU!

Rob Liebbe
09-16-2007, 11:46 AM
is the audio feed working for anyone. i had it running earlier now all I can get is music -HELP

Nick
09-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Lunch break music.

Great run David!

Rob Liebbe
09-16-2007, 12:01 PM
OK maybe, but i had two computers running simultaneously and one was getting race broadcast and the other was getting music off the same link at the same time. Then they both went to music.

evarner
09-16-2007, 12:12 PM
is the audio feed working for anyone. i had it running earlier now all I can get is music -HELP

That's all I'm getting atm.

evarner
09-16-2007, 12:16 PM

That's all I'm getting atm.

Working now.

Rob Liebbe
09-16-2007, 12:19 PM
ok - blood pressure and heart rate coming back down.

AllZWay
09-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Yep....mine is okay, but I guess the schedule is off.

evarner
09-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Silly Miata's!! Cars everywhere and into each other. Hope the drivers are ok, but with 52 cars taking the Green flag... chaos!!!!

AllZWay
09-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Yep...they are living up to the Spec "pinata" mantra. :D

ShadowBolt
09-16-2007, 01:29 PM
So, all GM cars in CMC up front for the Championship race eh? Not surprising at all.

Next year maybe it will be called the CC Challenge? Mustangs nowhere to be found. My Mustang is way better than I am (right now) but I do worry that if I get better I will not be able to run with the GM boys.

JJ

y5e06
09-16-2007, 02:01 PM
whooo! congratulations Jeff B!

Rob Liebbe
09-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Good clean racing as way have come to expect from Jeff and Glenn - congratulations to the new National CMC Champ, Jeff Burch. Glenn takes third, congratulations.

evarner
09-16-2007, 02:03 PM
So, all GM cars in CMC up front for the Championship race eh? Not surprising at all.

Next year maybe it will be called the CC Challenge? Mustangs nowhere to be found. My Mustang is way better than I am (right now) but I do worry that if I get better I will not be able to run with the GM boys.

JJ

No mention at all during the race of any Mustang.. wait!! One did go off-track.. he got mentioned. Friggin unbelievable!!!!

I sent a new definition of "parity" to the World Word Classifications and Records.

cobra132
09-16-2007, 02:04 PM
WOW! That was great. Congrats JB and GL. FMR

Nick
09-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Congrats to Jeff and Glenn!

marshall_mosty
09-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Congrats to both Jeff and Glenn for their CMC efforts.

In talking with Michael, it seemed as if David was an easy 2nd or 3rd place if his brakes didn't fade away to zero... good run, regardless.

Wirtz
09-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Wow, amazing news. Great job to everyone that made the trek up there. Congratulations all around!

Jeff

ShadowBolt
09-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Great Job Jeff and Glenn!

JJ

y5e06
09-16-2007, 03:34 PM
whooo! congratulations Jeff B AND Glenn L!

AI#97
09-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Donovan is my new hero!!! I woke up late and got linked into the live results and audio feed on about lap 2 and was jumping up and down like mad when I heard David was on Burnett's ass and going for Second!!!! Great job!!!

evarner
09-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree! David is da man!!!

Everyone have a safe trip home!

mitchntx
09-16-2007, 07:19 PM
:cry: :whine: :weep:

Having actually been there, I would agree, David is a very nice person and well deserved a good finish.

He had 2nd all but wrapped up.

And everyone sends accolades to David. But Holly is the backbone. She is awesome.

As for the race, Stone #50 took out 3 Mustangs with a bone-head move. Two Mustangs were on the hook and the 3rd was toast.

Poe couldn't keep the car on the pavement.

So, it appears the platform is limited by the drivers.

So I guess there will be another fire sale of CMC Mustangs. ;)

Consequently, the Speedcast guys recognized TALENT and placed cameras accordingly.

8)

Al Fernandez
09-16-2007, 08:05 PM
I've only heard a small fraction of the stories and even with that it sounds like a hell of an event. :lol: Congrats to everyone that made it up there for your efforts and to Jeff and Glenn on their well deserved finishes.

AJ@PST
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Congrats Jeff and Glenn from everyone at PST!
Well Done!

Fbody383
09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Way to go guys!

Now get home safe.

michaelmosty
09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
I just made it home from an awesome weekend!!!

Ya'll are all correct in that David D. is the freakin MAN!!!! He passed 3 or 4 people going into the first turn, what an awesome sight. Then he was all over 2nd place until the brake issue. Dave made all of TX proud. :)

Congrats to all of the TX CMC drivers!! There was intense racing throughout the entire field for the entire race. What a great weekend, I can't wait to see some of the footage.

j3ffbrooks
09-17-2007, 12:12 AM
In Vegas waiting for my connecting flight as of 10pm Sunday night.

My return flight got booked a day early so when I got to the airport I was 24hrs late. Looks like I will be rolling in to West Sacramento about 3am. :roll:

The racing was great this weekend. Fortunately, nothing spectacular happened in terms of contact. Good racing for the most part.

Burch really held off Powell in the last race. Glenn was fast all weekend and tried hard to get up to the front and contend with 1st and 2nd.

AI racing was equally exciting with Donovan fighting for 2nd. It was all his as the lead car was loosing tires halfway through the race. He was fighting brake issues in the start of the weekend and thought he had it fixed.

Fun stuff this weekend. Looking forward to next year.

Maybe I'll even be racing.

AllZWay
09-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Definitely awesome job by all those that raced.... I enjoyed listening and watching online.

Big Time congrats to Jeff as the new CMC National Champ.

gt40
09-17-2007, 10:30 AM
A big congratulations to both Glen and Jeff, and my sympathys to David. It was difficult both watching and working the race.

GlennCMC70
09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Robert - where were you working at?

gt40
09-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Robert - where were you working at?Saturday morning I was flagging at Station 5 (start/finish on the back straight.)

Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday, I was flagging at start/finish on the front straight.

I threw the checkered flag for both the AI/AIX and CMC/F5 races. :D

GlennCMC70
09-17-2007, 03:28 PM
i guess you saw my wild tank slapper sunday afternoon. :shock:

gt40
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
i guess you saw my wild tank slapper sunday afternoon. :shock:Yep! Thanks for the entertainment!

Sadly, no photos of the AI or CMC races -- too busy working and keeping an eye on you guys. Starting stand on the front straight is responsible for the track from T14 to T1.

What pictures I have will be going up on the Texican Racing web site Real Soon Now. I'm culling out all the crappy shots still.

gt40
09-17-2007, 05:39 PM
So where's Burch's video?

jeffburch
09-17-2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/07-Nats_start.mpg

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/wall-o-glass.mpg

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes!
Camaros Rule!!!!

jb

ShadowBolt
09-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Camaros Rule!!!!

jb

Ya think?

AllZWay
09-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Camaros Rule!!!!

jb

Can I start my 3rd gen's have too many advantages over us heavy 4th gens whine yet? ;)

WTG JB...

michaelmosty
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Camaros Rule!!!!

jb

Can I start my 3rd gen's have too many advantages over us heavy 4th gens whine yet? ;)

WTG JB...
I know James, those heavy 4th gens. only got 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place. :wink:

evarner
09-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Camaros Rule!!!!

jb

WTG JB...
I know James, those heavy 4th gens. only got 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place. :wink:

ROFL!! And out of nowhere he hits one... going.. going.. going.. out of the park!!

Wait!! Michael.. uh.. aren't you supposed to be drinking the grape-koolaid like everyone else? Shame!

Adam Ginsberg
09-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Eric - you sold your CMC ride, hence you don't race any longer, so why come on here and stir up the pot? Good lord, enough already.

Congrats to EVERYONE who made it to the Nats, regardless of finishing position. It takes a great deal of time, energy, personal and family sacrifice, support, and yes, money, to get to the Nats.

Huge thanks to Boudy and Argent Labs for their support and help - I couldn't have made it to Mid-Ohio for 2 years without it.

evarner
09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Eric - you sold your CMC ride, hence you don't race any longer, so why come on here and stir up the pot? Good lord, enough already.

Congrats to EVERYONE who made it to the Nats, regardless of finishing position. It takes a great deal of time, energy, personal and family sacrifice, support, and yes, money, to get to the Nats.

Huge thanks to Boudy and Argent Labs for their support and help - I couldn't have made it to Mid-Ohio for 2 years without it.

Looks like you had fun running in the back. Could you even see the leaders? Don't you have a solid-welded-in cage? You should have been up front without all the chassis flex.

evarner
09-18-2007, 10:39 AM

Looks like you had fun running in the back. Could you even see the leaders? Don't you have a solid-welded-in cage? You should have been up front without all the chassis flex.

Ok, that was a little harsh. But, you know what I mean.

Gratz to those that made it there and back.

michaelmosty
09-18-2007, 10:43 AM

AMEN!!
Thanks to all TX racers that made the journey and proved what an awesome group of drivers we have! :D

michaelmosty
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Yikes :shock: I was just trying to give Proctor a hard time, not start WW3.

Adam Ginsberg
09-18-2007, 10:58 AM

Horrible finish this year for me this year, no doubt about it. No excuses, no BS - it sucked. Last year's Championships, at least for me, was much better.

Wow - I didn't do well this year, and you poke fun at me for it? Making fun of a persons finishing position shows a complete lack of respect for someone willing to make the sacrifices to be there. Corey and Boudy didn't run as far up front either...guess they should be laughed at as well.

I made the effort, spend the $$, did the ~2600+mi round trip drive, sacrificed....and was there, 2 years in a row - clearly, the same cannot be said for you.

How disappointing, Eric.

mitchntx
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
:shock:

Eric is on terror! No sacred cows ... everyone is a target. Eric, you have left your mark on CMC, coming into the series and leaving it, also. Too bad they aren't both positive.

I personally appreciate your setting the bar really high, causing everyone else to work hard to get to that level. Others have eluded to the commitment it takes to get to where you easily found yourself. Just think where'd you be with a similar commitment and a better attitude?

We had to work our asses off just to get to that bar. And you seem to want it handed to you with a silver spoon. Life typically isn't that easy. Maybe someday you will grow to understand that. I hope so

Throughout the weekend, everyone was stepping up. Fast lap on Thursday was a back of the field on Sunday. I witnessed a lot of cross-platform and cross-region sharing of information. It was a beautiful thing to witness and what the whole weekend should be.

Beyond the racing, kudos to all for being PEOPLE first and racers second.

jeffburch
09-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow.
Some of you here don't have a sniff of a clue what is required to run up front in CMC.
Just friggin clueless.

Mostly unpacked here. Off for a little nap.
Pics/vids maybe later today.

jb

marshall_mosty
09-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Alright children... bite your tongue and just say something positive...

AI#97
09-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Probably should be in another topic but given the CMC finishing order this year at Nat's, what is it going to take to put a mustang on the podium again? I would actually like some input from you CMC guys who are looking to improve.

MW

Fbody383
09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow.
Some of you here don't have a sniff of a clue what is required to run up front in CMC. Just friggin clueless.

<raises hand> Nope, not yet. Jeff, great job... looking forward to meeting you.

Alright children... bite your tongue and just say something positive...

I'm POSITIVE I want to get this car together for 08!

Congratulations to all that drove/rode/crewed/supported,etc at nationals. Looking forward to more pictures, videos and outrageously embellished stories.

Now, where's Boudy? I need to buy a seat.

GlennCMC70
09-18-2007, 12:38 PM
whats it take to run upfront?
colective info sharing. i got help from Nick Steel and many others. i've help guys like James Proctor, Cody Powell (#2 at Nats), and many more. the FRRAX.com site is nothing but f-body guys and gals helping one another w/ set-up. maybe i'm missing it, but i just dont see the same "team spirit" from the ford camp.

AI#97
09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
whats it take to run upfront?
colective info sharing. i got help from Nick Steel and many others. i've help guys like James Proctor, Cody Powell (#2 at Nats), and many more. the FRRAX.com site is nothing but f-body guys and gals helping one another w/ set-up. maybe i'm missing it, but i just dont see the same "team spirit" from the ford camp.

I suppose I would have to go read the CMC rules and have a better understanding of what CAN be done to the mustangs. I would think the philosophy for a CMC stang would be similar to an AI car with regards to spring rates and such but from the pictures at nationals that were posted on Nasaforums the f-bodies looked as though they were cornering VERY flat. All the mustangs looked like they were HEAVING over in the corners. I would say there is a ton of "tuning" left in the stangs but you are going to have to run spring rates that are going to over power the currently available over the counter shocks.

I guess what I am saying is that the A-sedan guys figured out how to make stock mustang suspensions work so how do we find out their secrets...?

Adam Ginsberg
09-18-2007, 01:48 PM
I guess what I am saying is that the A-sedan guys figured out how to make stock mustang suspensions work so how do we find out their secrets...?

Comparing A/S to CMC is like comparing apples to tugboats. Read up on the CMC and A/S rules, and you'll understand what I'm talking about....they are pretty far apart WRT suspension setups.

GlennCMC70
09-18-2007, 01:48 PM
why limit yourself to the valving in over the counter shocks?
even the OEM replacement Bilstien shocks are re-valvable. i keep explaining this to the Ford guys, but i guess it falls on deaf ears.
i does not have to be a rebuildable type shock to get re-valved.
there is a lot to be gained w/ re-valving. but i would run the spring rate i needed to make the car work even if the shocks could not be matched to them. spring rate is the #1 priority. then swaybars, then shocks. after that, its camber and caster adjustments. play w/ toe to fine tune.

another thing, if your tire pressures are .... say.. more than 3 PSI different front to rear, you need a front or rear spring change.

why do i mention all this? because its a common list of things i hear from the Ford camp that makes me wonder WTF.

marshall_mosty
09-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Koni DA’s are an option for the Mustang crowd. They can take conventional rates in the 1000+ range since the motion ratio is somewhere around 0.40 for the stock location.

I don’t think the Mustang crowd has done much development work with spring rates and damper settings like Glenn and Mitch (and probably a bunch of other GM guys). Most everyone goes out and buys the H&R “Race” or “Super Race” springs and call it a day.

You can buy spring rates for the front and rear of the Mustangs in every rate imaginable.

More can be done with sway bar tuning, aero tweaks, and bump steer that few have taken the time to do… but I bet Glenn and JB have. 

There are 100 things that you can do legally to a Mustang platform to maximize it’s ability. Look at any one Mustang CMC car and you may only find 70 of those possible improvments… some, like EV’s car, less.

I’m patting Eric on the back by saying he did SO extremely well with such a non optimized chassis. Unfortunately for CMC 17, the rest of the world passed that chassis by. That isn’t to say that Jerry can’t make it competitive again, both in setup and driver talent.

So basically what I’m say is that a Mustang is a better “out of the box” racecar than a GM. Most Ford drivers became complacent with the early success of their platform and failed to continue to improve on what, at that time, was perfection. Now the platform is lagging behind the GM camp who has not yet become complacent.

JMHO YMMV

michaelmosty
09-18-2007, 02:09 PM
So basically what I’m say is that a Mustang is a better “out of the box” racecar than a GM.
JMHO YMMV

:shock: Put the pipe down!!

AI#97
09-18-2007, 02:43 PM
So who has an explanation for Rob's performance over the f-bodies at TWS???? :wink:

AllZWay
09-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Yikes :shock: I was just trying to give Proctor a hard time, not start WW3.

hehe.... I know, I was just trying to poke fun too. :lol:

GlennCMC70
09-18-2007, 04:05 PM
So who has an explanation for Rob's performance over the f-bodies at TWS???? :wink:

i had very old tires on for the Sat qual and race. i also had an AI car that seems to have it in for me.
but Rod won fair and square.

Tex89
09-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes!
Camaros Rule!!!!

jb

I can't get these to work. can you send them to me via YouSendit.com

David

AI#97
09-18-2007, 05:54 PM

jb

Did that guy NOT know he lost the rear glass?!

GlennCMC70
09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
would it mattered if he did?

Nick
09-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Why did the glass come out and what can be done to prevent it?

GlennCMC70
09-18-2007, 07:19 PM
his hood flew off. as it flipped, the point hit the rear glass and shattered it. that was 3/4 the way thru 4th gear on my car.

AI#97
09-18-2007, 07:26 PM

I would imagine he would get black flagged for dumping more broken glass on the track or would be disqual'd for missing body parts! :lol:

Wirtz
09-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Wow, drag racer start there. Must have been the crinkle wall Toyos...

You flinched! Wimp, you had a helmet on and everything ;)

Post more when you can, same goes for all of you Nats runners, I wanna see more of the fun.

Jeff

jeffburch
09-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Fri qualifier

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/07_Nats_Fri_Med.wmv

Thanks for the bandwidth Robert King!

jb

AI#97
09-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Fri qualifier

http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/07_Nats_Fri_Med.wmv

Thanks for the bandwidth Robert King!

jb

Any idea why the video freezes at 6:30....? sound still plays though?

Also, what was it like for you guys dealing with slower traffic for the first time?! :wink:

jeffburch
09-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Mmm, no.
I nuked the file and will bake another.
Up soon.
jb

GlennCMC70
09-18-2007, 09:30 PM

I would imagine he would get black flagged for dumping more broken glass on the track or would be disqual'd for missing body parts! :lol:
if you can find the rule for missing body parts, post it up.
we all thought the same but was told its untrue.

once the glass blew out, that was the end of it. it was a non-issue after the first lap.

Chuck
09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Congrats on the big win Jeff!!! And also to everyone that made it to nats.

Hey Glen, how about this rule:
CMC rule 8.5.6 ...The car must be run with the hood, doors, and trunk completely closed and securely latched.

Chuck
CMC Mustang #14

jeffburch
09-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Retry the above link.
Has same file name so overwrite or delete old one.
jb

mitchntx
09-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Congrats on the big win Jeff!!! And also to everyone that made it to nats.

Hey Glen, how about this rule:
CMC rule 8.5.6 ...The car must be run with the hood, doors, and trunk completely closed and securely latched.

Chuck
CMC Mustang #14

He DID run with all those parts ... for about 1/2 a lap.

The rule doesn't say a racer has to FINISH with all those parts.

BUT, you still have to make weight at the end.

Rob Liebbe
09-19-2007, 07:48 AM

A little luck, some chassis tuning and testing, fresh tires, a lot of time on that track, extreme driver talent, increased racing/passing confidence (no comments from Burch - I heard what you said in your video - I really am getting better), learning to use slower cars to my advantage, oh Yeah and MUSTANGS RULE!!!! 8) Michael, Corey, and Todd also consistently qualify well and race well. My performance at TWS may be a fluke, and I'm sure that Glenn will not be caught behind like that again. See you in October.

I do believe that the Camaros have a better basic platform than Mustangs. I made my choice and could change if I wanted to, nobody is holding a gun to my head and making me run a Mustang. I also don't think that anybody puts more time and effort into CMC car setup than Glenn, Jeff and Mitch. There is no easy way to get around that fact. Just think how fast they could make a Mustang with the same effort. In fact that might be a good challenge and or opportunity for LAW Motorsports. Why not be a full service builder and also offer the Ford platforms. I know there are reasons, but it sure would be interesting. Heck I'll even offer up my car as their test vehicle.

Anyway, for me this is a hobby and all about having fun.

GlennCMC70
09-19-2007, 08:09 AM
thanks for all the positive comments guys.
the fact is, we have been open tracking / racing 4th gens since 1999. we have almost 9 years playing w/ these things. i dont think anyone in our group has that type of time invested in thier platform. if they did, they would be the guys everone was talking about. we also got alot of guidance from LGM in the early days, so to say we did it on our own would not be fair.
you can also link every 4th gen in the country that runs CMC w/ success to the FRRAX.com web site. we are a large community of 3rd and 4th gen Camaro owners who focuse on open tracking and road racing. that site also is more newbie friendly than most other RR oriented sites (C-C.com) that have a large Ford population.

anyways. i'll drive anyones car. i would love to see how hard these Fords are to drive.

mitchntx
09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
I also don't think that anybody puts more time and effort into CMC car setup than Glenn, Jeff and Mitch. There is no easy way to get around that fact.

Very kind words, Rob.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this platform parity thing and wondering about it. I've concluded that like everything else, it ebbs and flows. CMC history kind of plays that out.

The time Glenn and I have spent is not so much in building/rebuilding the cars, rather experimenting with stuff easily changed at the track, like tire pressures, wheel spacers, rear springs and sway bars.

We have gotten to a point where we know what to expect from a specific change under certain conditions.

It's not like we've gone out and rented tracks for a day. This was all data collected while doing open track events, like we all do. Nothing special about a pressure gauge, pyrometer and a piece of paper. You just can't get out of the car and go socialize ... it's a commitment.

One of the things that was stolen in my truck break-in was 3 years of notes on what changes were made, given a specific set of circumstances and the end results of those changes. That was irreplaceable data.

Sunday morning, Corey and I had a conversation about his car's ill-handling. I tried to help, but it was obvious that Mustangs respond differently ... WAY differently ... to similar changes in an F-car. Sorry, Corey. Maybe we should talk.

You are right, Robert. I need to learn more about Mustangs.

ShadowBolt
09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
anyways. i'll drive anyones car. i would love to see how hard these Fords are to drive.

Don't say it unless you mean it. I'll trade rides with you at MSR Houston next month. I know I'm not very good yet but I'm willing to swap rides in practice to see what kind of time difference you would have in the Mustang. CMC 17 will have the welded in cage and a new (wider) seat by then.

JJ

cjlmlml
09-19-2007, 02:54 PM
How about some Mid Ohio pictures getting posted in the gallery?

NASA13
09-19-2007, 04:10 PM
I think I can shed a little light on the GM vs Ford Debate.
I have driven my car and Morgans car back to back with my car set up and performing properly.

GM Definitely is easier to drive. GM definitely has handling and design advantages. GM is dominating the series. BUT GM also currently has almost all the dedicated hard working drivers racing them.

GM is also HEAVY. Awkward. Much more difficult to work on. Much harder to navigate in traffic and on starts and terrible in some trail braking situations.

I showed up at Nationals with one set of tires, that I wasnt that impressed with. Top 9 had 3 or more sets.
I had old rotten brakes that would not slow the car.
I still have not checked alignment since my wreck.
Car is very squirrely at speed.
I had old cracked rotors.
I had a practically open diff until Saturday.
I struggled with the cold temps and screwed up my tires pressures almost every race. I qualified with 48 psi in the front.

With all these compromises, I still ran competetive lap times from time to time.
I have not worked on my car since Hallett and I was still mid pack at nationals.
I am certain that I can make my car go fast enough to catch Jeff. I am not so sure that I can control the car for 40 minutes without a mistake.
It is a tough car to drive at the limits for extended periods of time. I am working on that and expect to see my lap times improving next year as I explore the limits of my car and tuning.

Considering how different the platforms are, they are EXTREMELY close. We are racing within tenths now and how much ballast can we add to an F body? I never even use my 50 lb weight advantage either, so how can I complain. I come off at 3200 all the time.
I think the mustang has an advantage at Hallett and other short tracks, and I think TWS is almost not worth attending. But I have never ran TWS with 3.42 gears either.?? Lots of questions and no one really working hard on the mustang chassis answers.

I think GM is a faster, easier turn key solution for CMC , but I believe a well set up mustang could be faster and much easier to run in traffic and tons easier to work on if anyone ever spends the time developing the chassis to the max.

I will stick with the mustang for now, and drive Morgans F body everytime he lets me. I will let you know if I see a serious performance advantage that is not caused by my lazy wrench turning.

If we are seriously concerned about keeping the series legitimate, then we all have to work TOGETHER and see who has an advantage.
If GM doesnt believe there is an advantage ,then they should not mind sending out some fast ford drivers in thier cars to prove it and vice versa.

In Shifter Karts, when someone accuses you of having a better chassis or engine, there is only one way to settle it. SWITCH. Best driver will prevail.
This series is not just about drivers though. Best set up and hardest working crews will win. I am here to learn how to drive. I dont have much interest in the set up and that clearly shows. When I really want to win in this series, I will have to learn how to tune my damn car.

That is my story. Take it for what it is worth.

jeffburch
09-19-2007, 04:28 PM
How about some Mid Ohio pictures getting posted in the gallery?

web album
jb

http://picasaweb.google.com/TexasCMC3/20070918NASANats?authkey=cD3xzTonvg8

GlennCMC70
09-19-2007, 05:14 PM
i see your 3200 and raise you a 3250. my car comes off most tracks after a 20 race at 3250. long gone are the days of 3210-3220 for me. in fact, the car was 3250 post race for the championship race. i put 15lbs of ballast in and we were cut 10 minutes short in the race. i have the lightest 4th gen in just about the whole country and i'm no where close to getting it to 3200 post race.

we tried letting a Ford guy drive an F-body, and he shit inside the trans after he "jumped" his own ride. :roll:

mitchntx
09-19-2007, 06:25 PM
I think I can shed a little light on the GM vs Ford Debate.

If we are seriously concerned about keeping the series legitimate, then we all have to work TOGETHER and see who has an advantage.
If GM doesnt believe there is an advantage ,then they should not mind sending out some fast ford drivers in thier cars to prove it and vice versa.

we tried letting a Ford guy drive an F-body, and he shit inside the trans after he "jumped" his own ride. :roll:

Yeah, I'm kind of leery to let someone from the dark side "test" parity at this point.

Nice try, though ... 8)

AI#97
09-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of leery to let someone from the dark side "test" parity at this point.

Nice try, though ... 8)

Can't get ANY love around here!!! :lol:

NASA13
09-19-2007, 08:00 PM

I said a fast ford driver Glenn.

Sorry Todd, it was too easy.

Cody Powell
09-19-2007, 08:37 PM
You know Corey is a lot brighter than he looks.

I think he said it as well as anyone and he knows it is true.

My pig came off at 3305 (turns out that was a good thing) I did that for a few different reasons but mostly if you get them down to minimum there is no weight over the rear.

Corey you can drive my car anytime(just let me out first).

I can tell you that a HUGE reason I did well this year was because of Glenn, Mitch and Jeff being so completely honest and straight forward everytime I asked them a question and I asked a ton. You guys are really genuine people and deserve anything you accomplish not just in racing but in life.

Thanks again
Cody

NASA13
09-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Corey you can drive my car anytime(just let me out first).

Thanks again
Cody

Pussy!

Todd Covini
09-20-2007, 12:30 AM
What-eva.
I'm still too tired to type or care about parity between Varner & Landrum :roll:

More importantly...
I had a blast at Nationals.
I learned a ton at Nationals.
I partied & enjoyed my vacation at Nationals.

You guys are all in trouble if I get serious about my car prep 'cause I'll spank you all.

8)

-=- Todd

jeffburch
09-20-2007, 06:04 AM
If a frog had wings........

jb

Todd Covini
09-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Congrats on the win, Jeff!
You deserved it.
You jumped thru all the prep & tech hoops and came out on top!

-=- T

jeffburch
09-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Sat qualifier
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/07_Nats_Sat_Med..wmv

jb

ps
where's your video?

GlennCMC70
09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Sat qualifier
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/07_Nats_Sat_Med..wmv

jb

ps
where's your video?

i didnt run a camera of my own all weekend.
take note of the 8 minute mark and the FFR that F'ed me (i was all in Jeff's mirror) and almost killed himself. not only did i loose the ground i worked to gain back on you (Jeff) i ended up loosing a position out of it. that guy was so slow and unpredictable, he should have packed up and went home or he should have been forced to do TT instead. i think he was over 10 seconds per lap off the pace. CMC only had a couple drivers off the pace and that was only like 2-3 seconds. one of the few times i'll publically call another driver a fuck tard of thier driving ability.

aaahhhhhhhh, that felt nice to let that vent.
:evil:

Rob Liebbe
09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
I felt the same way last time I was at Mid-Ohio except it was a fuck tard in a Sunbeam Tiger - I seriously considered punting him off the track and that was just an open track event.

GlennCMC70
09-28-2007, 12:13 PM
here is a link to the audio of the race.
right click and save as.
http://drivenasa.com/championships/2007%20NASA%20Championship%20Race%20Group%20A.mp3

jeffburch
09-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Pretty funny moment that made the commentator giggle a little bit was GL going by his position with the cars ass hanging out.
Car goes by with tires squeeling up a storm.
Pretty neat.
jb

GlennCMC70
09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
it was a major tank slapper. i saw the left and right wall about 3 times each. i didnt lift though! :P

Cody Powell
09-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Since I can't reply in the other forum, that is one good lookin' fellar from Colorado in that pic on your home page.

jeffburch
09-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Everyone,
I'm only sharing.
Thought you all might find it interesting the big man has time to recognise the racers.
I know that every competitor here has one of these in their future.
Corny I know but I truly mean it.
jb
http://www.texicanracing.com/nasatx/JeffBurch/KunzmanLetter_07_Nats_crop.jpg