PDA

View Full Version : How to rebuild T-5

David Love AI27
09-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm looking for manual/video or other instructional information on rebuilding a T-5 tranny. The cop car has a 4 speed that makes a growling noise in 4th gear. Bought and old T-5, new input housing and rebuild kit.

michaelmosty
09-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Check out hanlonmotorsports.com. They sell a T-5 rebuild video that makes it easy to fix anything you need. I rebuilt my tremmec from their video and it was very easy. Put down a tarp in your living room and it works great w/ the VCR. :D

marshall_mosty
09-27-2007, 07:28 AM
David,
I second the T-5 video. You can borrow mine if you would like. I can either mail it to you or send it with Michael for the MSR-H event in Oct.

I watched the video once all the way through and then watched it a second time while taking step by step notes on a pad of paper (wife won't let me rebuild the tranny in the living room.... Michael is single. 8) )

I then took my notes to the garage and started pulling it apart. I laid everything out in exploded form so I would have the orientation of all the parts.

They really aren't that bad, however you will need a set of good snap ring and c-clip pliers, both of which I bought a AutoZone. Also, if you are going to replace the bearings on the cluster gear, you will need a press to do so.

I would suggest buying the 5th gear reinforcement plate which is availble from Astro Performance. Also, the 0.91 5th gear is nice for TWS.

Good luck, it's much cheaper to do that type of work yourself. The "black art" part of it is VERY exploited by tranny shops. It's really not. A dial indicator is nice to set preload on the cluster gear if you aren't using new bearings.

Give me a call if you have any questions. I just had mine all the way down since this last race.

(940)736-9043

donovan
09-27-2007, 08:56 AM
I second the Hanlon Video... I have been doing my own for two years now... When you are as hard on T-5's as me it just made since to rebuild it myself.

I did pay for one to be rebuilt by a reputable guy, it was the shortest lasting one yet... nothing that the guy did or didn't do, but just seemed like a waste when I could have done it myself.

DD

GlennCMC70
09-27-2007, 05:18 PM
seems like a vid that shouldbe digitized and hosted somewhere, or at least put on a DVD to help preserve the quality due to the freqency it seems to get watched.

donovan
09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
I tried to back up the VHS to digital with a couple different methods I have here and its got some type of protection on it that would not allow me to view the recording, just the sound comes thru...

I'm going to try it again with another software package.

DD

jeffburch
09-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Macrovision!!!!!!!!
:lol:
jb

David Love AI27
09-27-2007, 05:54 PM
David,
I second the T-5 video. You can borrow mine if you would like. I can either mail it to you or send it with Michael for the MSR-H event in Oct.

I watched the video once all the way through and then watched it a second time while taking step by step notes on a pad of paper (wife won't let me rebuild the tranny in the living room.... Michael is single. 8) )

I then took my notes to the garage and started pulling it apart. I laid everything out in exploded form so I would have the orientation of all the parts.

They really aren't that bad, however you will need a set of good snap ring and c-clip pliers, both of which I bought a AutoZone. Also, if you are going to replace the bearings on the cluster gear, you will need a press to do so.

I would suggest buying the 5th gear reinforcement plate which is availble from Astro Performance. Also, the 0.91 5th gear is nice for TWS.

Good luck, it's much cheaper to do that type of work yourself. The "black art" part of it is VERY exploited by tranny shops. It's really not. A dial indicator is nice to set preload on the cluster gear if you aren't using new bearings.

Give me a call if you have any questions. I just had mine all the way down since this last race.

(940)736-9043

got press, dial indicator and good set of snap ring pliers... single with plenty of room on living room floor... send video with Michael and I'll have something to do during the cold winter months... thanks

marshall_mosty
09-28-2007, 09:08 PM
David,
No problem... I'll give it to Michael on Sunday to put with his pit boxes for MSR-H.