PDA

View Full Version : Rule Proposal: Fox Mustang weight reduction

RichardP
10-02-2007, 11:08 AM
There is a big question of parity within the different models eligible for CMC competition. The difference in performance potential between Ford and GM is certainly a sticky situation that is not at all easy to address.

One thing that is a little clearer to address is the parity between the different Ford models. The Fox and SN95 chassis are almost identical and most of the relevant parts can be shared between the cars by the update/backdate rules. The one glaring exception to this rule is the body work and it’s effect on track width. The SN95 cars are effectively allowed a performance enhancing track width increase just because of the different shapes of the factory bodywork.

This is a situation that is not healthy for CMC. The Fox platform Mustang is the oldest eligible CMC car and was produced for the greatest number of years in the greatest volume. That effectively makes it the cheapest and easiest to find car to start a CMC build. At this point, however, no one who is paying attention would think that starting with a Fox platform is a good decision. That effectively raises the price of admission for CMC because there is a perception that you need a much newer car in order to compete.

This of course ignores the CMC drivers that currently have CMC Mustangs. To say that there is a bit of angst among this group would be a gross understatement. I know for a fact that there are people with CMC Fox Mustangs that are currently looking to move all of their parts over to newer chassis just to have a chance to be competitive. That’s really not what CMC is supposed to be about.

I propose at least a 50 lb base weight reduction for all Fox Mustang platform CMC cars to help with the parity issue between Ford platforms. The Fox Mustang is the easiest of the CMC cars to get down to the current minimum weight. I don’t believe most drivers will have a problem getting to a new lower minimum weight and I don’t believe there will be any additional costs to be absorbed by the competitors for this change.

Richard P.

mitchntx
10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to this ...

... IF ...

... in 2008 the pendulum swings the other way, then the 50 is added back in 2009.

50lbs is a LOT of weight.

So the proposal is ...

3100 for FOX
3150 for SN95 and 3rd gens
3200 for 4th gens

The HP/TQ charts will have to be rewritten.

Fbody383
10-02-2007, 11:31 AM
The Fox platform Mustang is the oldest eligible CMC car and was produced for the greatest number of years in the greatest volume. That effectively makes it the cheapest and easiest to find car to start a CMC build. At this point, however, no one who is paying attention would think that starting with a Fox platform is a good decision. That effectively raises the price of admission for CMC because there is a perception that you need a much newer car in order to compete.

Having owned a 90 5.0 car in the past I was leaning that way primarily due to acquisition cost and aftermarket support. If I hadn't stumbled across a 4th gen Fbody for $500, I might have ended up in a 3rd gen or the Fox.

I think Richard has a valid point, you grizzled veterans will have to come up with any rules changes - or not.

michaelmosty
10-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I would love to see 50 lbs. come out of the Fox for next year. This has my vote! 8)

AllZWay
10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't know that I would be against the 50lbs.... but why isn't there just a width limit that would effectively make the SN95 and Fox equal.

They way the rule is written now, certainly doesn't seem fair to the Fox cars.

michaelmosty
10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
What is the front track-width on the 3rd and 4th gen cars? Also what spacer (if any) are you running?
Just curious. :)

AllZWay
10-02-2007, 12:05 PM
What is the front track-width on the 3rd and 4th gen cars? Also what spacer (if any) are you running?
Just curious. :)

1/2 inch up front....none in the back. I don't know actual widths.

mitchntx
10-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I asked the track width question as well and was told it would be too much effort to police. :roll:

donovan
10-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I asked the track width question as well and was told it would be too much effort to police. :roll:

This is done in AI... cars were DQ's at Nationals for it...

DD

mitchntx
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I know ... hence the "rollie-eyes"

y5e06
10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Given the original post, if weight adjustment is a condiseration, I'd prefer:

3150 for FOX
3200 for SN95 and 3rd gens
3250 for 4th gens

michaelmosty
10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't agree with adding weight to the cars, this will just cause more wear on every part of the car.
I know the 4th gens are harder to get to minimum weight but it has been done on multiple occasions. When Steve Mulder's car made its first appearance at MSR-C last year I remember they had to add around 100 lbs. to it just to make weight.
The lighter the better.

mitchntx
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
When Steve Mulder's car made its first appearance at MSR-C last year I remember they had to add around 100 lbs. to it just to make weight.

Remember, Patterson only weighs 72 lbs ... with driving gear!

AllZWay
10-02-2007, 01:41 PM

It can't be that hard.... I could use a .25cent piece of string and do it. :D