PDA

View Full Version : running order for next event at MSRH

ShadowBolt
10-17-2007, 07:14 PM
My son is going to do Racecraft and I am going to race. I hope there will be at least one session between our sessions? I want him to be able to do Racecraft in CMC 17. Can anyone tell me the running order?

JJ

GlennCMC70
10-17-2007, 07:28 PM
get w/ Clifton Winklman. he will get this info before anyone here. also, if you explain the situation, he will possible allow him to move to a different run group for you guys to do this.
Clifton Winkleman = cwinkleman@sbcglobal.net

ShadowBolt
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
THANKS Glen!

Jerry

GlennCMC70
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
just doing what anyone here would have done.

marshall_mosty
10-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Typically, HPDE1 finishes sessions at least one group before the AI/CMC group.

Since I instruct group 1, Clifton is typically sympathetic towards the schedule... however, there was one time my student dropped me off in the AI/CMC paddock and there weren't any cars around... they were qualifying. I missed the "weigh after qual" board since I was so late and had to start from the back. bummer for me.

ShadowBolt
10-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Typically, HPDE1 finishes sessions at least one group before the AI/CMC group.

Since I instruct group 1, Clifton is typically sympathetic towards the schedule... however, there was one time my student dropped me off in the AI/CMC paddock and there weren't any cars around... they were qualifying. I missed the "weigh after qual" board since I was so late and had to start from the back. bummer for me.

Marshall,

My son has many years of running HPDE's. He should be in HPDE4 doing Racecraft. My question is when will HPDE4 and CMC run in relation to each other?

JJ

michaelmosty
10-17-2007, 11:40 PM
If HPDE 4 is right before us then at least your tires will be up to temp. :D

marshall_mosty
10-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Missed the "Racecraft" part of that. Michael is right, at least based from experience it is Group 1 (HPDE 1/2) then Group 2 (HPDE 3/4) and then the AI/CMC group.

That will suck if you are needing to qual and be on grid for a good position since everyone lines up starting when HPDE 3/4 goes out. I've even put my car in line with the HPDE 1/2 guys and leave it there for the 40 minute duration of 1/2 and 3/4 so I can be first going out to qual.

ShadowBolt
10-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Maybe he can run in HPDE1/2 and still do Racecraft. I sent Clifton a e-mail so we will see.

JJ

Adam Ginsberg
10-18-2007, 08:59 AM
That will suck if you are needing to qual and be on grid for a good position since everyone lines up starting when HPDE 3/4 goes out. I've even put my car in line with the HPDE 1/2 guys and leave it there for the 40 minute duration of 1/2 and 3/4 so I can be first going out to qual.

IMO, you should rethink your strategy.....

ShadowBolt
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Please excuse my dumbass but what difference does it make if you are first or last on track to qual? Is it just getting behind someone's slow ass? Since I'm the slowest that would not be a problem for me.

Jerry

marshall_mosty
10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
First on track and it's green from the pits. You can have a bunch of smooth sailing for a nice hot lap. Going out last will put you in the middle of slower traffic quickly.

marshall_mosty
10-18-2007, 12:21 PM

IMO, you should rethink your strategy.....

I didn't say that was my "all the time" strategy, only when I was feeling peppy.

mitchntx
10-18-2007, 02:41 PM
First on track and it's green from the pits. You can have a bunch of smooth sailing for a nice hot lap. Going out last will put you in the middle of slower traffic quickly.

You know ... this brings up a point that has always put a burr under my saddle. Not pointing ANY fingers ...

This is qualifying, not racing. Too many times I hear about coming across slower traffic and not getting a clean lap.

Not everyone can go out first. Using the above mentality, we will have folks beginning to line up for qualification on Friday night. Why can't folks concede a lap and let faster traffic go and NOT MAKE THE LFYERS GIVE UP THE LINE?

It seems to happen more often towards the end of a session when there are some on a "cool down lap" chugging around the track. Pay attention to your mirrors and give a racer a break. The back side at Houston is especially vulnerable.

I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around. If I give the line and a lap, I expect the same courtesy the next time the situation arises.

/soapbox

AI#97
10-18-2007, 02:46 PM

You know ... this brings up a point that has always put a burr under my saddle. Not pointing ANY fingers ...

This is qualifying, not racing. Too many times I hear about coming across slower traffic and not getting a clean lap.

Not everyone can go out first. Using the above mentality, we will have folks beginning to line up for qualification on Friday night. Why can't folks concede a lap and let faster traffic go and NOT MAKE THE LFYERS GIVE UP THE LINE?

It seems to happen more often towards the end of a session when there are some on a "cool down lap" chugging around the track. Pay attention to your mirrors and give a racer a break. The back side at Houston is especially vulnerable.

I'm a firm believer in what goes around, comes around. If I give the line and a lap, I expect the same courtesy the next time the situation arises.

/soapbox

soooo, the short version is you are looking for point byes?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

GlennCMC70
10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
at Nationals, they used practice times to grid us for Qual. this worked out very well. i think everyone was happy w/ it.

mitchntx
10-18-2007, 03:33 PM
soooo, the short version is you are looking for point byes?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For you Matt ... make sure you note which finger I use ... 8)

Adam Ginsberg
10-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Please excuse my dumbass but what difference does it make if you are first or last on track to qual? Is it just getting behind someone's slow ass? Since I'm the slowest that would not be a problem for me.

To follow up a little more on what Marshall mentioned....if you get up to grid early enough, you get out first and can make haste at a fast qual lap.

Many times, I'll grid DFL, and will wait until everyone has left the grid.....and wait even further until they are on the back side of the course. There's many variables to this ( who went out first, what other group we are racing with, newbies not yet up to our lap times, how long the track is, how many cars in our run group, etc ), but there are merits to gridding last.

AI#97
10-18-2007, 04:05 PM

Just give me 3 fingers and I will read between the lines! Wouldn't want you to get DQ'd for obscene gestures while on course! :wink:

ShadowBolt
10-18-2007, 05:07 PM
So much to learn, so little time. I hope I don't get in anyone's way. I try to ALWAYS give the line to the faster car. This was the way Wayne taught at TDE events but exactly the opposite of what was taught at Apex.

Just honk and don't use the chrome horn on CMC17!

JJ

AI#97
10-18-2007, 08:22 PM
So much to learn, so little time. I hope I don't get in anyone's way. I try to ALWAYS give the line to the faster car. This was the way Wayne taught at TDE events but exactly the opposite of what was taught at Apex.

Just honk and don't use the chrome horn on CMC17!

JJ

Two trains of thought really. If you are MUCH slower than the other traffic, then yes, it is courteous to get off line EARLY and allow the faster cars by. Applies to both HPDE and racing.

Now if you are only marginally slower, hold your line and the passing car will make the move. You are now racing and your space is your space. It's good to be courteous but you have your own race to consider. It will also teach you to be a defensive driver when you are trying to hold off a competitor behind you.

Personally, I prefer slower cars to hold their line...just don't race me to the apex!! :wink:

mitchntx
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Personally, I prefer slower cars to hold their line...just don't race me to the apex!! :wink:

We're talking racing now, not qualifying ...

Matt, i usually do just as you say. You've witnessed it and heard you make a specific comment about it at TWS.

However, don't dive bomb me if I'm in a race with other in class cars and you are all by yourself.

Courtesy extends both ways.

michaelmosty
10-18-2007, 11:42 PM

Just give me 3 fingers and I will read between the lines! Wouldn't want you to get DQ'd for obscene gestures while on course! :wink:
You want 3 fingers? :shock:

marshall_mosty
10-19-2007, 05:13 AM
Nice Michael.... I wouldn't expect anything less, what a shocker.

AllZWay
10-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Nice Michael.... I wouldn't expect anything less, what a shocker.

In my best Beavis imitation...huhhhh.. He said shocker.....huuhhhh.

:D

BryanL
10-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Man, all you guys have it so easy with all your fingers.
My hats off to the Shocker though.

Bryan "4 Finger Racing Team"

AI#97
10-19-2007, 12:22 PM

We're talking racing now, not qualifying ...

Matt, i usually do just as you say. You've witnessed it and heard you make a specific comment about it at TWS.

However, don't dive bomb me if I'm in a race with other in class cars and you are all by yourself.

Courtesy extends both ways.

Noted....however, if I have someone like Marvel on my ass....all bets are off! I learned that lesson the hard way last year at TWS and it's one instance that decided the championship...

CMC isn't so bad with points but the difference in AI between a first and a second place finish is a 20 point swing in the points which can end up being a huge difference!!! Courtesy may get put to the back burner in that specific situation!! :wink:

GlennCMC70
10-19-2007, 12:25 PM
do we really need to hash this out once again?