PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL MSR-H thread ...

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Random thoughts ...

Jerry/Eric ... classic AI/CMC Texas prank. Well done, sirs. The 5 way race between Morgan, Micheal, Jerry (Eric) ... Jerric ... me and Steve was a very nice, clean and FUN battle for the whole freaking race. What a great time.

No major incidents/contact this weekend ... kudos to all the drivers making it through the six flags type entrance to T1.

Kudos to MSR-H for adding a LOT of safety in the track.

Was it just me or did this weekend seem particularly mellow? Everyone seemed to have a positive attitude, a great smile and had a grand time. It's been the best experience I've ever had with this group.

Congrats to the champs ... Matt White, David Donovan and Glenn Landrum.

The race for 2nd place in CMC was a heated battle and not decided till the last race of the last weekend.

Congrats to James Proctor ... 2nd in season points, ROTY AND lap record holder of MSR-H (new configuration)

marshall_mosty
10-29-2007, 05:10 AM
I'm glad to hear that everything went well. I talked to Michael yesterday and he informed me about the Jerry... er I mean Eric trick... Pretty sneaky. :)

He said that he was suprised that "Jerry" had stepped it up so much and was dogging his rear the whole race, just to have Eric pull up during the cool-down lap and give a wave...

Looks like I missed a good one this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the banquet and next season.

evarner
10-29-2007, 07:24 AM
It was great seeing everyone out at the track! All you guys rock and provided a great time, honest emotions and above all - very professional driving on-track.

I would like to thank Jerry for giving me the opportunity to drive CMC17 once again. The main reason for driving the car was to see the difference between the types of cages... bolt-in vs. very nice welded cage. One of the first things I noticed was the lack of "noises" the whole car made with the new cage. The car felt "solid"!! You could actually hear the motor and transmission. As far as handling goes? We adjusted the tire pressure to allow the front to have more grip to help get the front in and through mid-corner and left it neutral or slightly oversteer on corner-exit. Very predictable!

Jerry is fast and will only get faster. The brake booster is shot in CMC17 making things interesting going into braking zones. Once that's repaired, look for him to be right in the mix of things. Trust me... it will be "him" next time on your bumper. :D

The idea also popped up to try and get me in the car without anyone noticing. We worked with NASA and directors to make it happen. One thing we didn't want screw up was the points chase. Everything worked out well and only wish there would have been a camera rolling in the cars and in the stands.

Great job Mitch, Michael, Morgan and Steve!!!! That was the most fun I've had in a long time. You all were great!!! I think I cut Mitch off one time and do apologize for that one (I was still shaking the rust off). Mitch is fast and was determined to get in front of the "rookie"!! If he had known it was me, he would have long gone. :D Michael pulled out all the stops and late braked so far into T3 to keep me from passing... all I could say was "daaaayyyyuuuummmm!" under the helmet. We had less than a few inches bumper to bumper a few times. :D

Again.. great times and fun!!! You guys are the best and it really showed!!

Thank you all!!!

____
Eric F. Varner

evarner
10-29-2007, 07:25 AM
One more thing.

Congratz to all the champions this year!!!!!! Well done!

Al Fernandez
10-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Well said Mitch, this was really a fantastic weekend by any measure. A BIG congratulations to our 2007 Champs: Matt White, David Donovan, Mitch Warren (cant forget yourself Mitch!) and Glenn Landrum.

When we got there and walked the new layout I have to admit I was concerned both for the new turn 1 and 16/17. As it turns out the added room in 16 and 17 didnt result in people abusing it, but it certainly resulted in fewer beached cars and no incidents of gravel on the racing surface. What's best in my eyes is the added runoff at the exit of the carousel as well as turns 5 and 9. Could these be the reason we had fewer off track excursion? I know they helped me a couple of times.

The Jerry/Eric stunt was awesome. My gut was hurting I was laughing so much. As if that werent enough, Jerry saves the day again later...As fifteen of us are standing in the parking lot to the restaurant wondering what to do since the restaurant's credit card machine is broken, Jerry comes walking up and says "No problem, I have three grand in cash in my pocket"!!! :lol:

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Ooops ... I forgot ... :oops:

It was fantastic to see Daron, and Mason out in the new beast.

I had a opportunity to watch R2 from the tower and that car is a rocket.
Matt White ... you better put yer game face on.

David Francis ... it was great to see you as well. Thanks for stepping up as "official" photographer for the day.

James and Micheal brought a couple "crew chiefs" out (sorry, I'm TERRIBLE with names) and they were a HUGE help to the group all weekend.

This group's attitude this weekend "set the hook" on several guys out scouting the series. Todd was able to impress a few in the Fo-Cuss. I think the on and off track actions by all were a large part of that.

Geez guys ... I certainly hope we've turned a corner here ...

AllZWay
10-29-2007, 08:40 AM
I had a great time and laughed so hard all weekend. The Jerry/Eric stunt will definitely live as an all time classic.

It seemed I raced Al all weekend and it was awesome. Great driving Al....too bad I could only best you once all weekend.

As for the year.... it seemed I was racing every week around Michael and Morgan.....you guys are awesome and alot of fun both on and off the track.

Congrats to the champs in every class!!!

I would like to specially thank Mitch and Glenn for all their assistance this year. Without you guys assistance, my car would be no where near competitive.

I would also like to thank Jeff Burch for his assistance and words of encouragement this year and thanks to all the class directors that work hard to make the series work.

GlennCMC70
10-29-2007, 09:05 AM
i had a really fun weekend too. i had a little case of the nerves sat morning, w/ the worry of a DQ, but that cleared once the green flag dropped. i cant tell you guys how proud i am to race here. i've raced guys from all the other regions, but Texas in the most fun and has the best group of racing tallent.
Eric and Jerry's joke was awsome. everyone was just like "i aint gonna let that rookie school me!" and had they known it was Eric, they may have just let him go. i hope this opened some eyes as to how you should just race your race no matter who is behind you.
anyways, i had a really great weekend. Todd/Al - thanks for the Coke and smile. :D i'm still finding sticky stuff this morning. i took a shower last night to get it all off, and once again this morning, just to stick my phone to my ear and it was instantly a hands free device. i'm fearing those pics of me on the hood. i think i just got a blackmale attempt in my inbox. :shock:
looking forward to 2008 w/ a whole bunch of new faces who have been working thru racecraft for the last few events. looks like a nice step up in car count for next year. if we can get all our 2005-2007 points collecting driver to a single evnet in 2008, we should have like 50-60 cars!

i also gotta say, things are just getting better w/ NASA TX. new changes are coming for 2008 and it should be another year of steps in the right direction on thier end too.

Eric - it was good to see you at the track having fun. its been a long time since i saw that from you. i hope you return for 2008.

look for the Official points in a couple days. look for a report from Todd/AL/David in a couple days. look for a date on the Banquet in the next couple weeks.

Fbody383
10-29-2007, 11:02 AM
David Francis ... it was great to see you as well. Thanks for stepping up as "official" photographer for the day.

Crap... already given a job...

This is a great group of guys. The camera batteries were pooping out on me for the Sunday race but there are some pics of qualifying and post race and pit antics at PhotoBucket. Just do a search for the nasaphoto account.

Here's my favorite; you can't see any cats but there is a starling... :wink:

Sorry, if the picture's big... i'll type this small to make up for it.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff9/nasaphoto/MSRHouston10272007004.jpg

ShadowBolt
10-29-2007, 11:05 AM
What a weekend! I really don't know how it could have been any better. Even though I hated to lose the chance to race one of the races, it was worth it to watch the battle Eric was in. I would have loved to have been able to know what was going through the minds of the rest of the drivers. Either the rookie was a cheating bastard or was a sandbagging SOB. The best quote was Michael Mosty right after getting out of his car....... "Dude, you put that car in places I've never seen a car put in". That was classic. Then he saw Eric climbing out of the car and realized I was in my street clothes. What a hoot. Watching the battle was almost as much fun as driving. For weekend racers you guys are pros! It is an honor to race with you all. I sure hope Eric is correct and I can get up to speed soon. It seems like a mountain to climb being so much slower than all the rest of you. I want more than anything to be in a battle like I watched on Sat!!!

Thumbs up to all the series champions.

I have only been around the group a few times and I assumed it was always the way it was this last weekend. There is absolutely no reason for it not to be this way! I have been treated as well as any new guy could hope to be and I thank you all for it. I know a lot has been said and posted about platforms and other crap but for me I just want to race side by side for any position. I hope Eric comes back to the series and we have many more weekends like this one.

JJ

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 11:17 AM
there are some pics of qualifying and post race and pit antics

Some of my favs ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff9/nasaphoto/MSRHouston10272007032.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff9/nasaphoto/MSRHouston10272007029.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff9/nasaphoto/MSRHouston10272007027.jpg

BryanL
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Congratulations to all the champs and winners of the races over the weekend.
I too had a really great weekend. Other than being real tired and quiet it was perfect. No doubt that it makes the weekend so much better because of the group and how everyone treats each other. You guys do a good job of making a wannabee rookie welcome. I am really looking forward to next year.

Drove the car in the trailer under its own power without any weird noises and completed every session so I am :D Now I only have to go a 1,000 laps without anything happening to be considered an IRONMAN!

I also need to extend a big thanks to Glenn and Mitch for really spending so much time getting me involved with the group and looking after me so much. I know I certainly need the help. It has been such a big help to me from the beginning of talking about what kind of car to get, to trying to run a Lincoln Continental off the road on I45 at 11 o'clock last night.

GlennCMC70
10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
...... to trying to run a Lincoln Continental off the road on I45 at 11 o'clock last night.
if you had a working radio you would have been able to play along too. and we shall never speak of this again. OK? :wink:

PS - Houston is the King of DUMB ASS drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F me, what a bunch of stupid retards. how do you guys who live there not kill at least one person per day? would anyone be willing to take on for the team?
just for reference sake, this is tanget #1.

AI#97
10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Congrats to all and I must say this was probably one of the funnest race weekends we have had in the two years I have been doing this. Kudos to all and Congrats to all our regional champions and that goober Burch for his outstanding effort at nationals!!!

Certainly has been a wild year overall and I feel absolutely fortunate for having been able to race with this group this year.

Sunday's race with Daron was an absolute blast! Finally, the teacher and the student were able to go have fun on track with equal beasts!!! That car is going to be wicked fast when they complete the aero and start working on tuning it. I think I am going to have to do some more work on mine to stay ahead! Between Mason/Daron, Donovan and others, I think next year in AI could be as close as CMC has been this year. Time will only tell.

I LOVE the new track config!!! Once I popped that damn cone out of the way in turn 1, it became extremely fun! The run off area at the carousel was used a couple times and that curb isn't as bad as it looks! :oops:

Only looking forward to next year and finding a way to make nationals to make good on what I kept getting told this weekend. Thanks for the ego boost guys! I really appreciate it.

oz98cobra
10-29-2007, 05:22 PM
thanks Mitch - it was great to finally be able to race the car after spending the best part of a year building it! We are very happy with the way it's worked out - so much custom fab and untested systems in that thing and the only part that missed a beat was the ABS pump failed (a part we had not messed with). Looking forward to getting some front aero on the car and getting the suspension sorted.

It looks like AI in Texas is going to be better than ever next year - Frank and David K lift their game every time they drive and will be doing more car improvements over the winter - Mr Lyons says he will be back with a new motor - Skip says he is going to make his black 05 AI legal - rumour has it that a well known HPDE/Time Trial blue 05 Mustang will appear in AI trim come February - and many AI cars are sprouting mysterios shiny new black wings - so we should have a good sized field of very competitve cars next season!

Congrats to all of this year's champs!

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
to trying to run a Lincoln Continental off the road on I45 at 11 o'clock last night.

He had a fender, so I gave him 3/4 car width. ;)

I was driving angry!

AI#97
10-29-2007, 06:54 PM
to trying to run a Lincoln Continental off the road on I45 at 11 o'clock last night.

He had a fender, so I gave him 3/4 car width. ;)

I was driving angry!

Yeah, going through downtown in that f'n mess, a guy in a new altima tried forcing his way in at the last minute on me and I put the right front tire down the side of his car from the front of the rear door all the way to the bumper. Sort of nice when the tires stick out from the body about 3"!!! Stupid ass just kept on going. I am sure he got a nice surprise when he got home.... :lol:

ShadowBolt
10-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Jay listened to traffic on XM and decided to go 610 around the city and then back to 45. He never even had to slow down.

Jerry

AllZWay
10-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Jay listened to traffic on XM and decided to go 610 around the city and then back to 45. He never even had to slow down.

Jerry

That is the way I always go now.... I don't think it is a great time saver, but usually is a little easier.

Although...Houston collectively has to have the largest group of tard drivers anywhere.

Boudy
10-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Where do I start???

Hats off to the Champs, you guys did a great job.

Thanks to the entire group for a great season and a ton of support. It's great to run here in Texas.

Thanks to Mitch for allowing me to race his car in R2 when my motor went on vacation. That was a real treat, although frustrating as hell. I'm just not the driver yet who can adapt to any car in 2 labs and it was so different from mine I couldn't get a handle on it in 20 minutes. I do have torque envy though... damn that horse pulls.

Thanks to Jeff, Adam, and Glenn for flying the Argent Lab colors and bringing home results that any sponsor could hope for. A National Championship, 2 Regional Championships, and Track Records all over the country. You guys are putting my little piss-ant company on the map and I only wish I could do more for you.

Finally, thanks again Jeff. You made me focus on my car, most often against my will, and take the steps to go faster. True Champion in my book. PITA too... :lol:

Boudy

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks to Mitch for allowing me to race his car in R2 when my motor went on vacation. That was a real treat, although frustrating as hell. I'm just not the driver yet who can adapt to any car in 2 labs and it was so different from mine I couldn't get a handle on it in 20 minutes. I do have torque envy though... damn that horse pulls.

My pleasure, Robert. You have been a big help to me and LAW Motorsports.

You need to make sure you contact the officials and get those points you snagged assigned to you. Not sure if it would make a difference. But, they are your points, none-the-less.

Todd Covini
11-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Great weekend guys & gals!
I think we're really getting into a rhythm and the weekends start to humm.
We've still got some work to do on procedure, but Al and I had lunch this week and will continue to improve.

I had a ton of fun doing the impound emergency exit test! 10 drivers...all in full gear...3 officials...front...middle...back. On the whistle, all drivers were able to exit their cars in 10 seconds. Congrats to all of you! I really expected somone to get hung up (more than they did).

Further kudos on the driving and lack of contact. After seeing T1, I really thought we'd get some contact but you guys did a great job!

More in a bit....it's been a busy week for race stufF!

-=- Todd

BlueFirePony
11-05-2007, 01:21 PM
It was great being around all of you last weekend. I learned a lot by talking and watching and look forward to participating next year.

I want to thank Todd and Al for taking the time to discuss class placement, and Frank, Daron and others for answering my (what probably seemed endless) questions. I think I've been asking Daron questions for 2 years on-and-off now so hopefully I'll make him proud next year :)

Brian

GlennCMC70
11-05-2007, 01:26 PM
It was great being around all of you last weekend. I learned a lot by talking and watching and look forward to participating next year.

I want to thank Todd and Al for taking the time to discuss class placement, and Frank, Daron and others for answering my (what probably seemed endless) questions. I think I've been asking Daron questions for 2 years on-and-off now so hopefully I'll make him proud next year :)

Brian

so what class are you shooting for?

Al Fernandez
11-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Welcome aboard Brian, and never think there is such a thing as too many questions! :D

That car of yours is gorgeous and mean fast, so whatever class it ends up in it'll be great for the others to race against.