PDA

View Full Version : NASA Texas 2008 Schedule

jeffburch
10-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Can someone post the official schedule that was in the drivers packets please.

thx,
jb

Waco Racer
10-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Feb. 9 - 10 MSRH
March 15 - 16 MSRC
Apr. 19 - 20 TWS 2.9 Enduro
June 21 - 22 Hallett
Aug. 2 - 3 TWS 2.9
Oct. 18 - 19 Eagles Canyon

jeffburch
10-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Darn.
I will be at Road Atlanta March 15 & 16.
Will the track record at MSRC fall?

jb

Al Fernandez
10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Cliff, are the details of the enduro as being saturday or sunday finalized? Also, the April TWS event (and hence the enduro) will be counter clockwise and August clockwise or the other way around?

Waco Racer
10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
I am hoping to have the Enduro information finalized this week. Truthfully it will probably be next week because of my:
1. Day job
2. Side work
3. Daughter's basketball try-outs (I'm coaching)
4. Lack of sleep in the last week.

Right now it looks like Sunday and 4, 6, or 8 hours. The April event will most likely be CCW and August CW because most fuel fillers are on the driver's side or rear of the car.

drierson
10-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Is the MSRC event going to be the 1.7 or the 3.1 layout?

oz98cobra
10-29-2007, 04:30 PM
I hope it can be the 3.1 - other orgs have raced this config, so it's not as if it's an unknown quantity!

AI#97
10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Right now it looks like Sunday and 4, 6, or 8 hours. The April event will most likely be CCW and August CW because most fuel fillers are on the driver's side or rear of the car.

for reference, mustangs are on the passenger side! :!:

AI#97
10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Also, I second the 3.1 at Cresson. Lets do something different!

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Also, I second the 3.1 at Cresson. Lets do something different!

I'll 3rd that ...

RichardP
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
I am hoping to have the Enduro information finalized this week.
Right now it looks like Sunday and 4, 6, or 8 hours.

I've heard speculation that it could be into the evening with lights and stuff, especially if it's one of the longer races. I'm thinking that Saturday evening would be better for that. Everyone is there for the weekend so sticking around to race or to help out one of the teams racing would be a bunch easier...

Richard P.

Adam Ginsberg
10-29-2007, 07:47 PM

I've heard speculation that it could be into the evening with lights and stuff, especially if it's one of the longer races. I'm thinking that Saturday evening would be better for that. Everyone is there for the weekend so sticking around to race or to help out one of the teams racing would be a bunch easier...

Amen to that.

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Richard P.

While I would like to run at night, doing so pretty much eliminates Pontiacs from the field

Adam Ginsberg
10-29-2007, 07:55 PM
While I would like to run at night, doing so pretty much eliminates Pontiacs from the field

Last I recall, the Pontiacs permitted in CMC were full on DOT legal street cars at one time. So...that means they had headlights. Was yours some one-off special that didn't come with headlights, nor any means to wire them up???

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Not sure ... but mine is an off the shelf Firebird.

But I doubt anyone who owns one in current race trim will spend a grand on refurbishing all the "pop-up" infrastructure to participate in a single race nor will they hack up a perfectly good $600 bumper cover to accommodate after market lights to run in a single race.

It's obvious that there is a disparity between platforms ...

jeffburch
10-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Alright, hold it right there.
STFU!
Barely 24 hours from the "feel good event of the season" and here we go.
Geez.

jb

y5e06
10-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't plan on running the enduro w/ my car. that said it wouldn't be too difficult to pull the bumper cover, weld a couple 1x1 or 1.25x1.24 square tubes upright onto the bumper beam. Cut two matching squares into the bumper cover (or the the hood, dependong on which side you place the tubes) and fab up a light bracket out of 3/4x3/4 or 1x2 to mount a handful of cheap (harbor frieight? $8.99) off road lights. Slide 'em in, secure with a couple pins, add some wiring and viola! It will look like a rally car but still be functional.

y5e06
10-29-2007, 08:42 PM
oh, obviously all cars would need a waver/understanding on allowing this non-stock, non-CMC modification

Adam Ginsberg
10-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't plan on running the enduro w/ my car. that said it wouldn't be too difficult to pull the bumper cover, weld a couple 1x1 or 1.25x1.24 square tubes upright onto the bumper beam. Cut two matching squares into the bumper cover (or the the hood, dependong on which side you place the tubes) and fab up a light bracket out of 3/4x3/4 or 1x2 to mount a handful of cheap (harbor frieight? $8.99) off road lights. Slide 'em in, secure with a couple pins, add some wiring and viola! It will look like a rally car but still be functional.

Now that's the spirit, Morgan. Can we get an AMEN mah bruthas??!!

y5e06
10-29-2007, 08:47 PM
wish we had that edit button.
typos are obvious, but anyway:
3/4 x3/4 slides inside the 1x1 and like wise for 1x1 into 1.25x1.25

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
oh, obviously all cars would need a waver/understanding on allowing this non-stock, non-CMC modification

Exactly ... how could one go back to CMC/CMC-2 with those mods? Remember hood-gate?

The intent was not to get into a pissing contest but rather to point out to those who are making decisions to have ALL the facts up front.

I want to participate in the enduro. I don't want to ...

a) build a purpose built car
b) build my current car out of future competition

And Jeff ... I still feel fine. I think it appropriate to get details discussed early and up front as opposed to lobby to change things when decisions are already published. The timing is coincidental.

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 09:04 PM
wish we had that edit button.
typos are obvious, but anyway:
3/4 x3/4 slides inside the 1x1 and like wise for 1x1 into 1.25x1.25

On second thought ...

... get that waiver and then cut 12" x 12" holes in the hood to accommodate the rally lights.

Then, remove them for future competition with nice heat extractors in the hood and probably 10lbs off the nose!

:D
8)

I'm adding this to do to my 20 gauge aluminum, flat, exhaust collector that is 80" wide, the length of the car and 1/4" thick.

jeffburch
10-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, you 2 don't do have your past moments.

jb

mitchntx
10-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, you 2 don't do have your past moments.

jb

Well he started it, dad. :wink:

jeffburch
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
:roll:

jb

Waco Racer
10-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Since the race is at TWS the race has to be finished and cars off of the track by 5:00 or they will charge extra $$. There will be some points races that weekend as well. The thinking is to use Saturday for those and to allow teams to get their cars working right then have the Enduro on Sunday. I would like to hear some counter-points to having the Enduro on Saturday if the interest is there.

I thought I saw some fuel doors on the driver's side of some Mustangs. Is there a difference between the Fox and the SN95?

Waco Racer
10-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I will check on the 1.7/3.1 question. Jay did say in the Sunday morning meeting at MSRC in March that the 3.1 was a real possibility.

Wirtz
10-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Some thoughts on the enduro from my experience running the 6 hour enduros in SCCA;

- Don't require lights. It is not only a CMC / AI thing. Alot of other possible classes will want to play, and the # of entries would be limited by requiring this. I also think it would be fun to try racing in the dark, but considering this will be the first enduro for many, adding something like night driving would be pretty hard-core.

- SCCA ran a traditional regional with an extra practice session for the enduro cars on Saturday. Also ran Qually for the enduro Saturday. Good since many drivers were in cars they didn't know too well.

- Sunday was a 30 minute warm up in the morning, then the Enduro starting around 10:30. I think I still have the entry form / schedule / sup rules for the last few if someone would like to check it out.

- If the enduro is TWS, I would recommend the CCW direction due to the pit entrance and exit. The pit exit especially. It's hard to see when going CW, but CCW has more space and better sight lines for both the car exiting the pits and those coming down the straight.

- Plan for a nice work party to say thanks for those willing do work corners and all the other needed functions for that length of time.

Jeff

GlennCMC70
10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
one thing to keep in mind too, is there will surely be additional class grouping for the regular NASA races to allow for the time in the schedule.

marshall_mosty
10-30-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm very interested in the Enduro... just need to clear some stuff one the home front for that weekend.

BryanL
10-30-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm interested but I don't know if anyone can fit in my car and I don't know if anyone would let me drive their car with my lack of experience.

Real curious what the schedule would look like for that weekend. Seems like a 6 hour run that has to be over by 5 would pretty much be the whole day when you add in practice? Would some people decide not to come if there were only 2 points races on saturday?
Has the SCCA ever run an Enduro on Friday and then the regular race weekend?

Really need to look at the enduro rules. First thought is do you have to run in race legal trim for a certain class? Meaning could you pull the restrictors and run another tire other than Toyo's?

Bryan

donovan
10-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm interested but I don't know if anyone can fit in my car and I don't know if anyone would let me drive their car with my lack of experience.

Real curious what the schedule would look like for that weekend. Seems like a 6 hour run that has to be over by 5 would pretty much be the whole day when you add in practice? Would some people decide not to come if there were only 2 points races on saturday?
Has the SCCA ever run an Enduro on Friday and then the regular race weekend?

Really need to look at the enduro rules. First thought is do you have to run in race legal trim for a certain class? Meaning could you pull the restrictors and run another tire other than Toyo's?

Bryan

I read about the guys in Cali doing one last year, they left the cars in CMC trim and just kind of made it a CMC Enduro... kind of a race in a race, seem like that would be the fun thing to do...

DD

GlennCMC70
10-30-2007, 12:36 PM
the only NASA class cars we would run against are H2/3 cars. there are not many of those here. there are a few SCCA class's, but i'm not worried about any SCCA drivers i've met, so who cares.

oz98cobra
10-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Here's my 2 bits worth on the Enduro thing.

1/ I am concerned with only 6 rounds total in the regional championship next year that we would cut one round in half to run an enduro.

2/ I have had some experience with long distance racing in the past either as crew or as driver/rider - it is a completely different animal to the sprint racing we do on normal race weekends. I don't think it wise for anyone to attempt to run say regular championsip points sprint races on Saturday and a 6 hour enduro on Sunday in the same car. Therefore car prep is less of an issue as you either prep your car for regular spint racing or prep it for the enduro.

3/ A 6 or 8 hour enduro is going to attract a whole other group of racers to our event from a lot further afield (at least it should if marketed right), but most of the regular racers will still want to race for championship points - so I don't see any reason why an enduro could not be run on Saturday afternoon/evening, and the additional entry fees will more than cover the cost of renting the track and corner workers for a longer period into the twilight. This will give enough time to offer enough regular championship races and the enduro during the weekend?

4/ Running an enduro into the night is just plain cool and adds a whole extra dynamic and appeal that wouldn't be there in an all daylight race.

5/ Perhaps the best plan as far as our group is concerned is for a few car owners who are keen and willing to enter their cars in the enduro instead of the regular races form teams with say 3 drivers from our group, and prep the cars accordingly. Those who are not driving the enduro can all find jobs as crew.

6/ Enduros are tough on equipment, but the good news is that there is 2 months break to get the car back up to scratch before the June event.

oz98cobra
10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh and yes, we did build AI75 with the ability to run working headlights and even indicators just in case we need to run any night events - but having said that, we are very unlikely to run the car in an enduro event next season.

We would need to consider adding trans and diff coolers to start with? Maybe sometime in the future?