PDA

View Full Version : interesting 2008 plans.

GlennCMC70
11-10-2007, 11:31 PM
i started a new CMC 4th gen build today (94 Formula). as i was making lists for things that will be needed for the build, i got to wondering what if.....
the car still has the OEM shocks and brakes (10" single piston fronts!). i have a pile of stock springs. why not build this like a true show room stock class car and use some of those parts. ya know, gut it (including A/C under dash), put a cage in (6 point), use an OEM muffler ect.....
so, for those of you looking to get a piece of me in 2008, you may have your chance for at least one event as i'll try a weekend in a stock car.

dont take this as any shit talk or something. i was just wondering how much of a difference there is w/ all the work i've been putting into the cars i've built/helped build. this would be a good test to see if its worth it.

just trying to liven up the place, its been quiet in here.

Fbody383
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
i was just wondering how much of a difference there is w/ all the work i've been putting into the cars i've built/helped build. this would be a good test to see if its worth it.

It will certainly help validate the Driver/Car ratio that CMC seems to live on. If you can keep it on the back of the pack or better, it proves up the "cheap, do-it-yourself race car."

Since you're being generous... why don't you try it in a Fox body?

Al Fernandez
11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
That is one hell of a plan Glenn. It'll be interesting to see the results...the $2008 CMC Challenge eh? :lol:

marshall_mosty
11-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Didn't Mike Patterson jump into Steve Mulder's #8 CMC camaro before it was fully complete and run at MSR-C? How did he fare? I remember mid-pack.

GlennCMC70
11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
he had a very light car, max'ed brakes, and the same spring rates i ran at the time. the car was pretty much maxed. it did have a bad Opti durring that event that wasnt found till a few weeks later. had the motor been healthy, he would have done very well. it would stumble above like 4000 RPM.

AllZWay
11-12-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't think Mike's results were very useful, since the car ran super hot and the opti crapped out.

I really think that a bone stock car would do better than you think.

Your driving style would have to change a little to the characteristics of the car...... and you would probably have to work to get rid of the bad push that is normal with a stock F-body, but with some spacers and air pressure changes.... I bet you could make it decent.

mitchntx
11-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I had the privilege of meeting Mike Pettiford and Bill Pichardo of SCCA fame this weekend. Mike was driving a T2 Camaro and Bill was hustling a SSB V6 Camaro around.

Following those guys through a T3 at TWS kind of corner made the cars look like a skiff in 20' swells :lol:

AI#97
11-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Got a better challenge for you Mr. Landrum...put me in the stocker and you in your race car! Then we might have some fun!!! :wink: :lol:

GlennCMC70
11-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Matt, i'm not sure how to say this other than just saying it.
you would get your ass handed to you for at least your first entire weekend in CMC. its just that big of a change from what you drive to less HP and more weight, less tire and brake, no downforce and having to slide the car way more than i've ever seen any of our AI cars do this year.

no way i'll put anyone from AI in one of my car to race. its a big change. trust me.

put your self in anyone else's CMC car who would let you and see if you can get close to the CMC track record. i say if you try, you will get out of the car and just mutter "WTF?!". prove me wrong, and i'll revisit the conversation w/ you. untill then, no thanks. i'm not saying you cant learn the change and learn it quick, i'm saying you aint gonna do it w/ my (LAW) cars. at an HPDE, sure, not a race weekend.

mitchntx
11-13-2007, 10:33 PM
I thought LAW cars were OUR cars ... :?

Lots of I's, me's and my's in this thread.

GlennCMC70
11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
i intended it in no other way than how you thik it should be. the (LAW) was my attempt to correct myself and include all of LAW.
dont read into it. just read it.

mitchntx
11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
:lol:

Todd Covini
11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-09/25627918.gif

GlennCMC70
11-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Thats Hot! :roll:

AI#97
11-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Matt, i'm not sure how to say this other than just saying it.
you would get your ass handed to you for at least your first entire weekend in CMC. its just that big of a change from what you drive to less HP and more weight, less tire and brake, no downforce and having to slide the car way more than i've ever seen any of our AI cars do this year.

no way i'll put anyone from AI in one of my car to race. its a big change. trust me.

put your self in anyone else's CMC car who would let you and see if you can get close to the CMC track record. i say if you try, you will get out of the car and just mutter "WTF?!". prove me wrong, and i'll revisit the conversation w/ you. untill then, no thanks. i'm not saying you cant learn the change and learn it quick, i'm saying you aint gonna do it w/ my (LAW) cars. at an HPDE, sure, not a race weekend.

Glenn, I am just razzing you man! I think driving a CMC car would be a pain in the ass without ABS...but keep in mind, I drove my car in CMC trim for 2 years, albeit 200lbs heavy doing DE's and track events. As a measure, I was running mid 24's at cresson. Granted on 17" toyos and ABS but not THAT far off the pace.

Like I said Glenn, just razzing you to make sure the inflation pressure on your head is still in the yellow, but approaching red!!!! :wink: We gotz to make sure your helmet still fits!! It's all good fun!

I will say that I am interested, and looking at the reality of building a 3rd gen or 4th gen for CMC. Just got to figure out how to make it happen and it may take a couple years.

mitchntx
11-14-2007, 07:44 AM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-09/25627918.gif

Between them, there isn't a complete kitty ...

GlennCMC70
11-14-2007, 08:26 AM
glad you didnt get upset w/ my comments Matt.
there are some REALLY good deals on 3rd and 4th gens out there right now. Bryan Linert has a 4th gen that perfect for CMC. runs and drives great.
if you do the work, you can be in CMC for $5K.

AI#97
11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
glad you didnt get upset w/ my comments Matt.
there are some REALLY good deals on 3rd and 4th gens out there right now. Bryan Linert has a 4th gen that perfect for CMC. runs and drives great.
if you do the work, you can be in CMC for $5K.

Remember Glenn, this is the NEW me!

Trust me, I have been looking. That 88 Iroc I posted in the FS forums is a CLEAN 5.0 TPI 5spd car with a little over 100k miles. at $3k it's a great buy and could serve as a daily for a while. I just don't need two race cars!! :lol:

GlennCMC70
11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
what on your AI car will not allow it to be back peddled to CMC?

y5e06
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Trust me, I have been looking. That 88 Iroc I posted in the FS forums is a CLEAN 5.0 TPI 5spd car with a little over 100k miles. at $3k it's a great buy and could serve as a daily for a while. I just don't need two race cars!! :lol:

given the discussion going on else where and the fact 5.0L GM cars are not CMC2 legal yet, maybe just stick to the 4th gen versions. As GL mentioned, the deals on some LT1 cars are getting rediculous. I can all but restrain myself from picking up another car just for the heck of it. They're almost free!
Having two race cars can't hurt, just think of it as a 'backup car'

AI#97
11-14-2007, 10:20 AM
what on your AI car will not allow it to be back peddled to CMC?

List is TOO long to even start! Mostly stock parts that have been cut out of the car, front K-member, A-arms, rear upper control arms and mounts, dash, core support, roof structure, engine-complete...would have to buy a takeout with iron block, headers, transmission, front nose, loose the wing, lots of material removed in the rear of the car, stock bumpers?, hood hinges, lose the lexan....and probably 15 things I am not thinking of. In other words, there is NO going back.

I would be better off selling mine, then making an offer on an existing CMC car or having you guys build me a copy of yours.

Or sell mine, build an $8k car and have funding for racing for 3 years!!! :shock:

Al Fernandez
11-14-2007, 10:41 AM
"need" and "race car" should never be used in the same sentence. :lol: Of course you dont need another race car. You dont need a Ford GT, or a night...in with Jessica Alba...

...but it'd be nice

AI#97
11-14-2007, 11:30 AM
"need" and "race car" should never be used in the same sentence. :lol: Of course you dont need another race car. You dont need a Ford GT, or a night...in with Jessica Alba...

...but it'd be nice

Just so you know, jessica alba has herpes...got it from some hockey player and I don't want or need that!!!

so I would use a different hot chick in future references! :lol:

Things I NEED first are a new house that if luck works...has a 3 car garage. Then all will be good!! :wink:

Waco Racer
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Matt - This one is still available. Better hurry before I sell my pinata.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2325

y5e06
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Matt - This one is still available. Better hurry before I sell my pinata.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2325

Corey and I have known the seller for a number years. This car came out to some HPDE's back in '05. He put a new cage in it back in '06 w/ plans for CMC that never materialized.
White '92, fully gutted with factory dash, has a 'peppy' 355. 305 came out of a stock firebird a few years back for a strocker swap. believe it has stock brakes though. used to have pin on fiberglass good but I think he swapped it for a CMC legal piece. Owner is an SAE master mech so the mechanicals are solid. Haven't seen the car in a while since he moved for Austin to lampasas.