PDA

View Full Version : Transponder question

tomlinmgt
11-19-2007, 02:30 PM
What's the story on transponders? I found one wired to the fuel pump that I thought was a relay when I removed it all back a few years ago. It's an AMB Tran X260dp. Looked up transponder info in the general rules and it stated "most NASA chapters that utilize transponders all run the same system". Is mine gonna' be compatible with whatever receiver system NASA uses? Does it need to be wired with a dedicated on/off switch or can I just leave it wired to the fuel pump? In regards to placement on the vehicle, seems I remember they need a clear, unobstructed view of the track surface. Anything else I should know? Front of car, rear of car, distance from ground, etc?

Thanks,
Michael

jeffburch
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Yes. Compatable.
Front of car.
Wired on all the time (with ignition).
If you put it on a switch, you'll forget.

jb

mitchntx
11-19-2007, 03:14 PM
I have mine wired to the gauges switch. I thought there might be times when I DIDN'T want my lap times recorded. I can turn off the gauges for a few seconds and then right back on. And a dash full of dead gauges is a good indicator that the transponder is off.

I read the same thing about mounting in a place unobstructed view of the pavement and did mine as such.. But I've seen a couple tie-wrapped to a roll cage and they seemed to work just fine.

As far as placement goes, anywhere on the car is fine. However, if you are coming to the line door handle to door handle with a competitor, yours on the rear bumper and his on the front, guess who will be declared the winner? ;)

BTW ... good to see you back, Michael

Al Fernandez
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Is it ok to mount it to the end of a power antenna assembly and then mount that to the front bumper? :wink:

tomlinmgt
11-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks Mitch (and Jeff). Glad to be back. That damn road racing bug has been itchin' somethin' fierce....or maybe it's that mid-life crisis I see comin' over the horizon....whatever it is, I can't wait to put the car on the track and get in on the fun. Look forward to seein' ya'll again.

Michael