PDA

View Full Version : And the hits just keep on comming!!! I am damn lucky...

AI#97
11-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Well, add me to the list of folks that have had enclosed trailers broken into. They got all my tools, my generator, all my spare and new brake pads, a big spool of wire for the generator.....AND...

As dumb f'n luck would have it, I had to leave the race car in the trailer to finish my little project at the house for the last couple of weeks. Well, they broke the ignition out of the car, took my $10 fire extinguisher, got my wide band computer and overturned my 400lb tool box onto my fiberglass nose for the car. Overall, I am DAMN lucky but what pisses me off the most is all the brake pads. I only had about 300 in tools in the box, but had a lot more in pads and MM alignment tools. Several other trailers have been hit in the complex and the cop that came out got real suspicious of the kid watching over the place.

So...the trailer is for sale and I am going for one I can store in the side yard at the house. Donovan, let's talk trade and some cash if your serious. You are lucky enough to have space at your place to store it so it needs a good home there.

I am going to see if I can figure out a way to get rid of the ignition key set up on the car and bypass all the anti-theft stuff but honestly, having it still in the car is probably the reason they ended up leaving it and the trailer cause it became useless to them. I suppose they may have been coming back to finish it off so it's good I got it all out of there tonight.

Anyway, I guess I am being REALLY calm about this so far because getting all pissed off and worked up about it isn't going to fix anything.

well....really calm rant is now turned off....

MW

mitchntx
11-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Matt.

donovan
11-20-2007, 02:27 AM
Matt that sucks...

I will call you tomorrow.

DD

jeffburch
11-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Sorry to hear this Matt.

Cocaine is a powerful drug

jb

Mason
11-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Matt,

Really sorry to hear about the break-in.

Daron figured out how to loose the ignition on the '97. Not sure if that's applicable to your newer car, but give him a call.

Mason

AllZWay
11-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Matt that really sucks.... I effn hate thieves. :evil: :evil:

y5e06
11-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Dang, Matt. You've got to be burning up right now. good thing they didn't get the car. Any kind of insurance to cover the losses?
Just when I was contemplating an enclosed & keeping at a storage lot your misfortunes come along. keeping w/ a steel deck sounds like a good idea if you can't keep an eye on it at home.

AI#97
11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
You know, honestly, I am not really steaming that much because I know this could have been MUCH worse. I still have 99% of what was in the trailer dollar wise so it's not too bad. Even the cop last night was telling me " you are awefully calm about this!"... Getting pissed isn't going to fix anything so just come up with plan B and keep things moving. I need to concentrate on getting this thing ready for January dyno and Early Feb race right?!

The stuff that's gone can easily be replaced and thankfully, I didn't leave my HANS in the car like I usually do.

The funny thing is that the downsizing plan to an open trailer to keep at the house was started to prevent something like this....just a few days too late... :cry:

Al Fernandez
11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
That really sucks man. Like you said, it could've been worse though. So what happens with this kind of thing, I mean...doesnt the storage place have some sort of responsability for the safety of your stuff?

mitchntx
11-20-2007, 12:51 PM
I found out the hard way that some stuff just isn't covered under my home owners policy.

I also discovered that my standard home owners/auto policy does not extend to the enclosed trailer nor it's contents.

A flat bed trailer can be covered, but not an enclosed ... according to Germania, my home and auto carrier.

I went to these guys (thanks Marshall)

http://www.heacockclassic.com/site/

For $500/year I have $15K on the trailer, $15K on the car and $2500 on contents, all agreed value with $1K deductible.

Any accident is covered, fire/theft/vandalism is covered. As long as the car is NOT moving under it's own power, it's covered, even while at the track.

It's not a great deal, but I don't worry quite as much as I used to about it, especially while travelling.

jeffburch
11-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Well you musta been steamed a little.
You mispelled comming!

:D

jb

AI#97
11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
For $500/year I have $15K on the trailer, $15K on the car and $2500 on contents, all agreed value with $1K deductible.

Any accident is covered, fire/theft/vandalism is covered. As long as the car is NOT moving under it's own power, it's covered, even while at the track.

It's not a great deal, but I don't worry quite as much as I used to about it, especially while travelling.

I thought about that but given I usually don't leave anything in it, I figured no and just got the standard theft/vandalism policy from State Farm...$120/yr. Sadly, the trailer is the ONLY thing that wasn't touched in this mess.

As far as recourse against the facility....sure, you can try but part of their contract usually states they aren't liable and you have to acknowledge that when you sign it. The cop did seem very interested in the young manager at the site as a suspect and said a detective will be in touch with me about it given the hole in the fence the property claims is where they came in through wasn't large enough in my opinion at 10:30pm to get my generator through it. Starting to sound like a possible inside job and a few other details make it seem that way as well the more I think about it.

Oh well, time to move forward! Yay... :cry:

mitchntx
11-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I felt most vulnerable while trvelling. I've had friends who had their rig stolen while they slept in a Motel.

And there was a huge caution sent to all racers at Mid Ohio that thieves tend to come to pit areas and steal stuff while the pits are vacant, like when on the track racing. Could be just internet folklore, but it sounded just plausible enough to me to get the insurance policy in place before I left.

AI#97
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
I felt most vulnerable while trvelling. I've had friends who had their rig stolen while they slept in a Motel.

And there was a huge caution sent to all racers at Mid Ohio that thieves tend to come to pit areas and steal stuff while the pits are vacant, like when on the track racing. Could be just internet folklore, but it sounded just plausible enough to me to get the insurance policy in place before I left.

well, my biggest fear was that they would get my address of the plate number and come to the house to get a second chance. Given I have other stuff in the house that doesn't need to make it into the hands of thieves, I had an alarm installed today that also has a cellular call out. My insurance policy so to speak. The other "insurance policies" are carried with me at all times and I pity the stupid M/F'r that tries this when I am present.

Anyway, hope none of you ever have to experience this. All told, the loss is about $3500 in support gear...and yes, now I am a little steamed! :evil:

Todd Covini
11-27-2007, 11:07 PM
All kidding aside, I truly am sorry to hear this happened to you Matt.

-=- T