PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell partition/box construction

tomlinmgt
11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm building the box that isolates the fuel cell from the cabin. I see specific construction guidelines for the box that contains the bladder, but nothing for the box that isolates the metal top cover of the bladder(what sits flush with the floor and where the fuel filler neck is) from the cabin. Planning on making it out of galvanized steel and putting a hinged and dzus fastened lid on it, but can't find any details in regards to if it can be riveted or has to be welded, has to be completely sealed from leakage, etc. My preference would be to rivet it together, find a fuel resistant sealer to seal the seams, and seal the lid with a fuel resistant molding of some sort. Fun as this project may be, I only want to do it once, so any additional compliance issues that need to be addressed here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Adam Ginsberg
11-22-2007, 12:25 PM
OMG - he still exists!! ;) Glad to see you getting back underway, Michael.

FWIW - the cell in my car has a sheetmetal enclosure that is secured via dzus fasteners. It has a single hinged flap to cover the filler, also secured via a dzus fastener. It's NASA and SCCA legal.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure it can be disassembled/removed for easy cell inspection and removal.