PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt size for 302

tomlinmgt
12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
What size serpentine belt for the non AC, non smog pump 302 with underdriven pulleys?

Thanks,
Michael

Adam Ginsberg
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
You'll have to take an educated guess. Use a string to go around all the pulleys, go to VatoZone, and get ~3-4 belts. One that matches the string length, one that is slightly shorter, one slightly longer.

More than likely, you'll make several trips trying to find the right length.

Rob Liebbe
12-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Then keep an extra with you at all times.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
or better yet, write it under the hood somewhere w/ a marker, and in your "CMC car build data" book and keep it w/ you at every event.
it would also be a good idea to have a list of cars that particulare belt is OEM from.
trust me, i've learned the hard way.

michaelmosty
12-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Chances are your belt won't match any other CMC Mustang. Everything is different depending on crank pulley, w/p, alt., p/s, and blower puller. :lol:

Tell us what pulley setup you have and we can see if anyone has that same one to help you with belt length.
FWI, I have 3" crank pulley, SN95 p/s pulley, and stock others.

RichardP
12-02-2007, 09:22 AM
I took my stock belt and cut it once. I then threaded the belt around the pullies like I wanted and clamped the free ends with a big vice grips. If you clamp it right, you can even load the belt in the tensioner to get it in the correct range.

The clamped belt can then be correctly measured by the auto parts store’s tool for measuring belt length. I’ve done two belt setups this way and have nailed the correct length the first time with a single belt purchase.

Richard P.

marshall_mosty
12-02-2007, 11:15 PM
I’ve done two belt setups this way and have nailed the correct length the first time with a single belt purchase.

Why does this not suprise me... :D