PDA

View Full Version : Post up what fire suppression systems you guys are using...

AI#97
12-06-2007, 11:09 AM
your experience with them.

Mine was "selectively removed" in the burglary and I am going to replace it with something better if funds allow. Would like some input on which ones you guys are using. There is one that has a pretty cheap refill which I am considering but don't know what size to go with or whether or not to get two small units for individual trigger...?

Thanks!

cobra132
12-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I worked in the burn unit at Brooke Army Medical Center for 2 years. I have a 10lb safecraft unit with 3 nozzels at the fuel cell, interior and underhood. Its extra weight, buts thats ok. FMR

y5e06
12-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I have the 10lb firebottle halon system
http://s2.pegasusautoracing.com/2007/027.pdf
one nozzle above fuel tank, one in drivers comp, one in engine bay.
purpose of the system is to allow driver to escape a burning car, not to save the car. I have no idea why anyone would want one of those dinky hand held extinguishers.
It is extra weight but.... since it is technically not balast you can place it where you want. And in CMC I put it on my rear bulk head *behind* the main roll bar. (cmc requires ballast ahead of roll bar)

also a month or two back on Spike's MuscleCar, Lou S. pulled the trigger on his 10lb system. I was impressed. I've never seen a system discharge and wondered what it was like. It put out quite a bit of volume and ran for near 30s if I recall. Very interesting.

jeffburch
12-06-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm considering AFFF.
Good prices here;
http://efiretech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FTSS&Category_Code=MSFC

jb

AllZWay
12-06-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm considering AFFF.
Good prices here;
http://efiretech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FTSS&Category_Code=MSFC

jb

That does look like a nice option.

mitchntx
12-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Safecraft 10lb Halon here as well.

And, if it gets discharged, I believe Natwell Welding Supply can refill them.

AI#97
12-06-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm considering AFFF.
Good prices here;

jb

Those are the systems I am looking at...and those are good prices. Recharges at $55 seems like a good plan too. Also, the bottles aren't pressurized all the time, only the charging cylinder of CO2....I think.

I am looking at two 5 lb bottles. One for the hood and fuel tank, then another for the driver compartment on a separate pull....and still going to have a small 2.5lb hand held as a further backup. I have seen too many times that a small under hood fire ends up douching the interior of the car and driver too. It's a luxury that only costs a few dollar more.

My original system somehow leaked and didn't make a mess, but I never noticed it...Neither did TECH!

David Love AI27
12-07-2007, 04:48 PM
got a liter of ozarka under the seat

marshall_mosty
12-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm using a 5L ESS AFFF system. Four nozzles (2 engine bay, 1 driver, 1 fuel cell area).

I believe CC.com is going to have a GP on these soon, if not right now. PM "Boyce G" for details on the cc.com site.

Anyhoo, I got mine for under $400 and the only pressurized anything is the CO2 cartridge. The bottle has 2 gallons (roughly) of distilled water and AFFF "stuff".

I set mine off by accident wiring it up and let me tell you, a 5L system goes for a long, long, long time. Lots of suds at the end of that little experience. Probably a 15 second blast of "fun".

AJ@PST
12-09-2007, 08:10 PM
SPA has come up with a new application to suppress fires. It has been tested and released in the European market but is not yet tested for DOT here in North America. The fluid is a cross between AFFF and Halon. It is enviromentally friendly and does a hell of a job of crushing a fire without flare ups. I have personally seen the test footage. We are hoping to be able to start stocking the new systems in the first quarter of '08.
-Just a little of new news that I recieved at PRI :wink:

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will pass on additional information when I recieve it.

My Experianced Opinion:
I would not trust my car, life, and investment to a CO2 cartridge that has to pressurize and mix fluid in a chamber before it suppresses a fire. I trust the pre-mixed and pre-pressurized systems. It leaves less chance of Murphey showing up in the process it takes an ESS system to fire.

My Additional Sales Plug:
SPA 4.0L 6-Nozzle AFFF Manual Steel Bottle Suppression System from PST = $275 (everyday low Price, No G.P. Needed) Plus it can be locally serviced by PST for less than $100 for routine fluid change.

AI#97
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
There's some input I am looking for! Good stuff AJ and I might be headed your way soon. I like that price point!

AJ@PST
12-10-2007, 12:22 AM
http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/news/detail.asp?newsID=10

Above is the link to the news release on the fire fighting medium that I had previously described. It is not out yet in the US but will be soon.

If anyone is ever interested in a demonstration I can sometimes arrange a system discharge. We have to do that when refilling an out-dated bottle that is still full. AFFF does have a shelf life of 2-3 years before it starts to solidify. It is important to change the fluid so that it still flows through the nozzle without clogging it.