PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gift ideas

ShadowBolt
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
My wife wants to know what I want for Christmas. I was thinking about a winch for the race car trailer incase the car can't be loaded under it's own power. Any idea how how large I would need and what brand would work well to load a dead CMC car?

Also I thought about a Video Camera. Wht is a good unit for in-car video?

JJ

jeffburch
12-07-2007, 09:48 PM
That's what we're there for.
Manuel labor. :roll:

jb

Wirtz
12-08-2007, 02:48 AM
Hehe, JB is right, however;

I have a winch on my trailer and I really like having it. There have been a number of times I have moved project cars without their own power, or my old car that was too low to open the side door on the trailer deck, or...

Anyway, I think the winch is somewhere around 7000#, but don't quote me on that. It does not need to be super high load assuming your not trying to pull a car up missing some suspension. One thing I like about my setup is we put a trailer plug near the back of the trailer, and then the controler has a 10' lead on it that plugs in. Easy to walk next to the car while pulling it up. Also, my winch does not have a freewheel, but they make it even easier for extending the cable out to the car. My winch is mounted below the deck of the trailer. Nice to keep it out of sight. The cable is fed up through a slot cut in the deck, and there is a metal pulley wheel for it to wrap around.

jeff

michaelmosty
12-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Jerry, my camera is a Sony handycam. I got it about 2 years ago for ~ $250. I also have the Cokin wide-angle lens that DD told me about and the whole setup works great and I have never had any problems.
I would look for a camera w/ a remote. I keep mine attached w/ velcro right by the shifter and start it right as we go out on track.

mitchntx
12-08-2007, 10:36 AM
The one in my enclosed is this one ...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200197824_200197824

However, had I to do it all over again, I'd get this one ...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200183124_200183124

Ramsey offers a wireless control device. WARN doesn't even offer an extension cable.

mitchntx
12-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh and remember, don't make the winch stronger than the floor your mounting it to.

David Love AI27
12-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a manual boat winch... I have used it more than I wanted to... very inexpensive but it works

Boudy
12-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I'd be happy with a winch to come to the track with me. :lol: :lol:

But on the other hand, I'd opt for a nice video camera.

Boudy

AI#97
12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
my old open trailer had a warn 1500lb winch with about a 50' cable, pulled my car up it, slowly but surely. I also carried a turning block that would double the purchase if the car was really difficult to get up on the trailer.

Since I am now back to the open trailer world, I am going to be winch shopping for Xmas myself.

AI#97
12-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Don't know how often you guys talk to John George but he's been selling the crap out of race parts. I am going to get my fire system here....

http://chicane23.com/chicane23/specials.php