PDA

View Full Version : CMC rules - how did THIS sneak in under the radar?

mitchntx
12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
7.7.3 Inspection and Testing

NASA tech inspectors and CMC Officials have the right to inspect anything in sight at any time the vehicle is at the track. NASA tech inspectors and CMC Officials shall have the right to request disassembly or any other procedure required to verify vehicle compliance with these rules including a dynamometer re-certification, or running of monitoring equipment.

So much for a no tear down rule ....

jeffburch
12-13-2007, 08:34 PM
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/MWplaysthe%20blues.jpg

Todd Covini
12-13-2007, 09:36 PM
That is so last year.

Todd Covini
12-13-2007, 09:41 PM
The no tear down rule still remains and to my knowledge there wasn't a teardown in 2007. BUT...in recent years there were some in various regions who were starting to take the interpretation that inspecting air filters or throttle bodies or removing valve covers was a variation of a "tear down".

Hence the tweaking of the rules. Principle remains...adjustment to reflect reality was required.

-=- T

mitchntx
12-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh, it's all good.

But I just never "dissected" that section very much.

It just struck me as odd that folks still refer to the CMC class as having a "no tear down rule" and it's pretty plainly stated right there that that's a false assumption.

Todd Covini
12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't know of a teardown nationwide in the series since it's inception.

But...I do know of compression checks, boroscopes, valve cover liftings and other checks which didn't require racers to go home with a box full of parts at the end of a weekend.

Connect the dots.

-=- T

mitchntx
12-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Todd, I'm not saying it's happened or gonna happen. and I'm OK with it.

It just jumped out at me today and it's the first time I applied the "no tear down" rule mentality to it.

This is THE hole in which a NASA or CMC official could jump in and force someone to remove a valve cover or head or ...

Again, I'm not saying it's happened, a likelihood or the sky is falling. Have another egg nog ...

Todd Covini
12-13-2007, 11:05 PM
More people should read the rules on a weekly basis like you do, Mitch.
You're a pillar in the motorsports community.