PDA

View Full Version : HANS mandatory by 2 June 2008

Adam Ginsberg
12-16-2007, 11:26 PM
As per the 2008.4 version of the NASA CCR's:

15.17.8 Head and Neck Restraint
Use of a head and neck restraint system or device carrying an SFI 38.1 certification is mandatory for all drivers as of June 2, 2008. References and information can be found in “Appendix D,” section #29.0 of the CCR.

29.0 Appendix D

29.1 Head and Neck Restraint Systems
29.1.1 General
There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here: http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not fulfill the use mandate.

29.1.2 Installation and Replacement
Any systems used MUST be installed and used according to the manufacturers directions. The driver is ultimately responsible for the proper installation and use of these devices. It should be noted that “webbing based” systems should be replaced at least every three years or sooner if the manufacturer specifies such. Any device that shows signs of wear or abrasions should be sent back to the manufacturer for repair or should be replaced. “Homemade” repairs are not allowed.

This was copy released within the past day or so, as I DL'd the 2007.26 version on Friday.

As a rule of thumb.....ALL competitors should DL the CCR's at least once a month throughout the season. I've seen changes put out by NASA National without any announcement, and being caught off guard.

GlennCMC70
12-16-2007, 11:37 PM
nice. thanks.

ShadowBolt
12-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Great. Getting in and out of the car is not that easy on this old, fat man without some crap around my neck. I can't wait to see how much harder this makes it. I was sure hoping this was not going to be mandantory. Why don't we just restrict the cars to 30 mph and no one will ever get hurt.

Firesuit on
JJ

y5e06
12-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Great. Getting in and out of the car is not that easy on this old, fat man without some crap around my neck. I can't wait to see how much harder this makes it. I was sure hoping this was not going to be mandantory. Why don't we just restrict the cars to 30 mph and no one will ever get hurt.

Firesuit on
JJ

sheshh, have you tried getting in & out with one yet? Buy it, wear it, get used to it.
if you have that much of a problem get the quick release tethers. There is even a new model of those out that is supposidly better. I have the old style.

Waco Racer
12-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I wear a HANS with the quick release tethers. As I come off of pit road into the pits I pull the tethers and when it is time to get out of my car (Spec Miata) I have no problems.

Rob Liebbe
12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know of a HANS dealer/installer in the Houston area?

AllZWay
12-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I bought one with quick release tethers, but I have not released that way once. I have never neede too.... I didn't even do it in the exit test at the last event.

Honestly guys... you never even notice it is on once you get used to the change in the way the belts feel to you as a result of the chest part of the Hans.

BTW... there is no real trick to installing the anchors to your helmet. You check, double-check and triple check your measurments that you are in fact drilling in the correct spot. It is a 15 minute job tops.

michaelmosty
12-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I have the quick-release tethers on mine and I usually pull them on the cool down lap so I can look over at other drivers.
As far as an emergency test I never pull them.
I think this is a great rules addition. It does feel different when you first race with it but after 1 event you won't even know it is there.

FWIW, I wear my HANS all the time even during seperate practice days. If I didn't wear it I would probablly feel uncomfortable.

Adam Ginsberg
12-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Honestly guys... you never even notice it is on once you get used to the change in the way the belts feel to you as a result of the chest part of the Hans.

James, Morgan and others are spot on....once you use it, it will become like any other safety item...you won't race without it. I use it in practice, qual, and of course, racing.

BTW... there is no real trick to installing the anchors to your helmet. You check, double-check and triple check your measurments that you are in fact drilling in the correct spot. It is a 15 minute job tops.

Amen to that. Back in 2005, I did a write up (http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=23374) on how to install the bolts on a helmet. It's not difficult at all.

Additionally, Hubbard and Downing have released a new set of tethers that allow you to move your head much more than the earlier releases. Cost is ~$75, and should be available in late Dec/early Jan. I'm getting mine from AJ @ PST as soon as they are available.

Fbody383
12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
I was sure hoping this was not going to be mandantory. Why don't we just restrict the cars to 30 mph and no one will ever get hurt.
Firesuit on
JJ

Jerry, I have a HANS in the closet and don't even have a helmet yet but know I wouldn't race without one and I believe a sanctioning body with these rules should enforce them diligently. HNRs have proven very effective in reducing injuries.

That said, I am coming to believe there are non SFI 38.1 products that are at least equal in performance to the HANS and may actually provide better lateral protection. Whether or not they will ever be allowed will continue to be debated over the next several year; perhaps Kunzman and crew will share their thoughts on why the 38.1 is required, maybe not.

**FLAME ON**
As the rookie, take this as you want - if you are disconnecting HANS tethers, loosening belts or deactivating other safety devices while still on track, you're being foolish. If you've seen my posts on NASA FORUMS on this topic and you are "going to sue NASA, when I crash, for making me..." please, let me know who you are.
**FLAME OFF**

David

AI#97
12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Personally, I prefer to wear mine as it spreads the load from the shoulder belts....also had ZERO effect on my during the exit test.

marshall_mosty
12-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Had a HANS since the first race of '06... Wouldn't even think about driving the car on track without it. I'm intested in seeing what people think about the new tethers. Head rotation is the only real gripe I have, but you get used to it. Just use your mirrors.

Plus, a $900 hunk of carbon fiber is dead sexy around the neck. 8)

AI#97
12-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Had a HANS since the first race of '06... Wouldn't even think about driving the car on track without it. I'm intested in seeing what people think about the new tethers. Head rotation is the only real gripe I have, but you get used to it. Just use your mirrors.

Plus, a $900 hunk of carbon fiber is dead sexy around the neck. 8)

With a Halo seat, head movement is restricted more than the tethers anyway! :wink:

Waco Racer
12-17-2007, 12:58 PM
I have the quick-release tethers on mine and I usually pull them on the cool down lap so I can look over at other drivers.

Don't let me catch you, or anyone, doing this. In the paddock is ok but not before!

michaelmosty
12-17-2007, 01:22 PM

Don't let me catch you, or anyone, doing this. In the paddock is ok but not before!
Effictive June 2008.

ShadowBolt
12-17-2007, 01:32 PM

Why would Michael not be okay taking off something that is not (at this point) required in the first place?

You all may be right but I just am not crazy about it. Not being able to move my head and look side to side is not going to feel right. Yes I do know how to drive with mirrows, I drove trucks for three years with no way to see down the sides without them. Tony Stewart still does not like having to wear a Hans. He says now that it helped him at Daytona this year and was glad he had it on, but he still does not like the way it restricts you.

JJ

AI#97
12-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Tony Stewart still does not like having to wear a Hans. He says now that it helped him at Daytona this year and was glad he had it on, but he still does not like the way it restricts you.

Who? Thought all those Nascrap guys just looked forward and turned left anyway...why would they need to turn their heads?

ShadowBolt
12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey, Tony is way more than just a Nascrap guy! Ever see him at the 24 hours of Daytona? That guy can drive anything.
Plus he bitches and gripes about everything. Gotta love a guy like that. Oh by the way John McEnroe was my fav. tennis player.

JJ

AI#97
12-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey, Tony is way more than just a Nascrap guy! Ever see him at the 24 hours of Daytona? That guy can drive anything.
Plus he bitches and gripes about everything. Gotta love a guy like that. Oh by the way John McEnroe was my fav. tennis player.

JJ

So you love Mitch then...? Heck, you probably would have liked the old me!!! :lol: Now I just shut up and drive...lost my primadona card!

Waco Racer
12-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Why would Michael not be okay taking off something that is not (at this point) required in the first place?

JJ

As Michael said, effective June 2, 2008.

ShadowBolt
12-17-2007, 02:24 PM

JJ

So you love Mitch then...? Heck, you probably would have liked the old me!!! :lol: Now I just shut up and drive...lost my primadona card!

I do love Mitch. Most of the things he bitches about I agree with. As slow as I am I do not have a primadona card.

JJ

jeffburch
12-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Well I've seen sponsorship from Secret deoderant.
Maybe ya'll can get the "Big O'le Purple Box" of maxies to pony up some samples in exchange for some quarter graphics.
"They've Got Wings" (similar to the Redbull campaign!)
Dry up ladies.
:P :P :P
8)

jb

mitchntx
12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
You crack me up, Jerry.

All these "kids" that don't remember the rebel 70s is because they weren't born yet. I don't remember them for "other reasons". :wink:

I thumb my nose at the establishment ...

ShadowBolt
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
You crack me up, Jerry.

All these "kids" that don't remember the rebel 70s is because they weren't born yet. I don't remember them for "other reasons". :wink:

I thumb my nose at the establishment ...

Damn right Mitch.
I was listening to some good 70's music on XM yesterday......Humble Pie Rockin at the Fullmore. I do remember the music but not much of anything else.

JJ

Adam Ginsberg
12-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Damn right Mitch.
I was listening to some good 70's music on XM yesterday......Humble Pie Rockin at the Fullmore. I do remember the music but not much of anything else.

What's the old saying....."Those that remember the 70's weren't there."

Boudy
12-17-2007, 04:43 PM

JJ

Matt: That's been my motto for a while.

Boudy

http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/boudy/%2343%20Legends%20(3).JPG

Todd Covini
12-18-2007, 11:44 AM
What a cute car! :wink:

Boudy
12-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Cute or not, the Legends turned Mid-Ohio 3 seconds a lap faster than CMC at the Nationals.

HANS has announced a Sport HANS for under $700 retail. Same unit, just a little heavier. Could be an option for the budget minded.

Boudy

jeffburch
12-18-2007, 11:55 AM
Huh?
http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=661446

jb

Boudy
12-18-2007, 12:11 PM
OK, 3 seconds faster than my slow ass...

rb

AJ@PST
12-20-2007, 04:35 PM

James, Morgan and others are spot on....once you use it, it will become like any other safety item...you won't race without it. I use it in practice, qual, and of course, racing.

Amen to that. Back in 2005, I did a write up (http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=23374) on how to install the bolts on a helmet. It's not difficult at all.

Additionally, Hubbard and Downing have released a new set of tethers that allow you to move your head much more than the earlier releases. Cost is ~$75, and should be available in late Dec/early Jan. I'm getting mine from AJ @ PST as soon as they are available.

It will be Mid-Jan before the new tethers are available. The tethers are great! I tried it at PRI. The photo is one that I snagged while at the event. There is also a new sport series device that will be more cost effective for those on a budget. Please see our home page for links to more HANS information.
http://www.performancespeedtech.com/documents/ChoosingandfittingyourHANS.pdf
http://www.performancespeedtech.com/documents/HANSOwnersManual.pdf

Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding HANS products and other safety items.

Adam Ginsberg
12-24-2007, 02:14 AM
DL the CCR's again - they are now on v2008.5.

Al Fernandez
01-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I spent a couple of hours this weekend installing new belts, and adjusting everything to work with my new hans. It did take a while to get everything (seat, belt length, mirrors) all back to where I want them. I have to say I was surprised at how motion you have with the hans and the old style tethers. With those new ones AJ is selling you probably wont have any motion restriction.

Adam Ginsberg
01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
CCR revision is now 2008.7.

GlennCMC70
01-28-2008, 10:08 AM
just a couple days ago it was 2008.6.

any idea what was changed?