View Full Version : April 25-27 Grand Prix of Houston Sanctioned by NASA Texas

jeffburch
12-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Details please.
Anybody?

jb

Waco Racer
12-18-2007, 11:47 PM
This refers to the Charity race organized by MSR Houston raising awareness and $ for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

David Love AI27
12-19-2007, 12:56 AM
This refers to the Charity race organized by MSR Houston raising awareness and $ for the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

Let me know the details on fundraiser... I can't seem to be able to get a car sponser but could raise a couple of $Ks from local business for a good cause... Need details on how much exposure...

Waco Racer
12-19-2007, 10:13 AM
You can start here or call Leslie at MSRH.

http://www.grandprixofhouston.com/content2007/release_10_04_2007_msr.html

jeffburch
12-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Cool thx mon.
I sent an email asking for the poop.
I will report back here.

jb

AI#97
12-19-2007, 12:08 PM
confused....is it at MSR or the Grand Prix course with K walls? And it mentions "SCCA-Licensed" drivers....isn't that a big problem with NASA?!!! I would be interested in this event for sure.

Waco Racer
12-19-2007, 02:16 PM
It is the Grand Prix circuit. The PR guy probably doesn't know the difference between NASA and SCCA. I wasn't involved with registration last year so I don't know what licenses they will allow. The entry fee is around $5000. There is no TV coverage and it is 1 class, run whacha brung. Out of reach for the average Club Racer but cool for me because I get to "Race Direct" with the big boys and girls. I am in race control with all of the camera angles and I got to be in the starters stand at the beginning of the ALMS race. :P

AI#97
12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
It is the Grand Prix circuit. The PR guy probably doesn't know the difference between NASA and SCCA. I wasn't involved with registration last year so I don't know what licenses they will allow. The entry fee is around $5000. There is no TV coverage and it is 1 class, run whacha brung. Out of reach for the average Club Racer but cool for me because I get to "Race Direct" with the big boys and girls. I am in race control with all of the camera angles and I got to be in the starters stand at the beginning of the ALMS race. :P

Well, count me OUT!!!

jeffburch
12-19-2007, 04:04 PM
$5K per car? :shock:
What was/is the race length?
Does this get you VIP treatment for the whole weekend?
ALMS/CCWS tickets?

jb

Waco Racer
12-19-2007, 04:31 PM
2 20-30 min practices on Fri.
1 practice & 1 qual. on Sat.
30-40 min race on Sun.

IIRC

Yes to everything else.

AI#97
12-19-2007, 05:11 PM
$5K per car? :shock:
What was/is the race length?
Does this get you VIP treatment for the whole weekend?
ALMS/CCWS tickets?

jb

And how about a BJ from some of the hot track chicks?!! I can almost buy a CMC car for that price!

Adam Ginsberg
12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
And how about a BJ from some of the hot track chicks?!! I can almost buy a CMC car for that price!

Matt - you're missing the point. It's a CHARITY race. The $5000 goes to a CHARITY...and you aren't a charity case. Yet.

Rob Liebbe
12-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Matt - you're missing the point. It's a CHARITY race. The $5000 goes to a CHARITY...and you aren't a charity case. Yet.

Basket case maybe, but definitely not a charity.

:D

Sorry - couldn't resist.

David Love AI27
12-19-2007, 10:26 PM
You can start here or call Leslie at MSRH.

http://www.grandprixofhouston.com/content2007/release_10_04_2007_msr.html

Thanks, Any clarification on the eligible cars and lisences would be great... I think I will need a taller gear...

AI#97
12-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Basket case maybe, but definitely not a charity.

You have no idea!!!

Todd Covini
12-19-2007, 11:50 PM
I spoke to Leslie at length last month.
She is the organizer/promoter of the charity race and right person to talk to.
Entry fees last year ranged from $5k to $20k.
We discussed the notion of having an entire field of same class of racers, but would need to get over the $5-$20k entry fee.
We discussed some options & ideas, but none could meet hers and our needs. It doesn't seem possible.
There's a limit on the # of cars on track and they can likely pull enough members to have a field of paying charitable donations.
They'll have better paddock space this year and in a more visual area.
The entry does include VIP lounge/balcony for the weekend and a number of other perks. However, as Clifton mentioned, it really is out of our league right now.

She has my # and knows what we can do (pull an AI/CMC contingent from around the country) but not at the expense of disallowing some of their premium members.

We'll revisit in Jan & Feb. Shannon & Leslie both know our hopes, dreams, wishes and budget.

-=- Todd

David Love AI27
12-20-2007, 10:40 PM
I can raise the funds... Will NASA drivers be eligible or do I have to rejoin SCCA and go back to school???

Todd Covini
12-20-2007, 11:07 PM
The charity race is sanctioned by NASA.
NASA drivers & licensing rules apply.
i.e.- NASA welcomes all other competition licenses.

-=- Todd

jeffburch
12-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I got a response from Leslie.
Below is a cut/paste
jb

ps
26000/9500=2.74
Was there only 2.74 cars last year?
===============================================

MSR Houston Annual Charity Race

MSRHouston and NASA are excited to announce that we will once again be holding our Annual Charity Race against Breast Cancer during the 2008 Houston Grand Prix. We would like to remind everyone that all proceeds from the sale of tickets and race entries will be donated to Susan G. Komen to benefit breast cancer research. MSR Houston is currently accepting donations, hospitality suite reservations, and taking registrations for those wishing to race during the Charity Race.

Overview for this year's race:

For those wishing to participate in the charity race, a detailed race schedule will be available at a later date, but we can say that we have negotiated a better time slot during this year's event. Each driver will be given 4 tickets to the hospitality suite, blue parking passes for themselves, and three parking passes to the green lot for their guests. There will be practice on Friday, qualifying on Saturday, and the race mid-morning Sunday. The requirements to drive in the event are as follows: you must have full race apparel, a current SCCA or NASA license (MSR Houston has three day schools posted in order to acquire a license if you do not already have one), and the desire to race in the Houston Grand Prix. Price Per Entrant $9500.00.

The MSR Houston hospitality suite tickets are currently available for sale. We would like to emphasize the convenience of the suite as well as the amenities that you will receive with your ticket purchase. Amenities include air conditioning, excellent views of straight away and turns 6, 7, 8, and 9; direct view of large Jumbotron as well as 6 televisions located throughout the suite, private restrooms, planned meals, drinks, cash bar, 2 balconies, comfortable seating, and much more. Each ticket includes one parking pass to the Green Lot at Reliant. Please remember that there are a limited number of tickets available and once all tickets are gone we cannot receive any more or make any exceptions to the number of guests. Price per two day ticket $500.00

MSRHouston and NASA would like to thank all who participated in last year's race, and we are proud to say that we were able to raise money for a worthy cause while providing a unique experience for all who were involved. We raised over $26,000.00 last year for this great cause, and we hope to more than surpass last year's donations as well as provide an even more rewarding experience. Please feel free to contact us at anytime with inquiries regarding our event or race information.

Leslie Mitchell
Office: 281-369-0677
Mobile: 281-627-0661
leslie@msrhouston.com
Amber Robinson
Office: 281-369-0677
Mobile: 281-726-9631
amber@msrhouston.com

AI#97
12-29-2007, 12:15 AM
I got a response from Leslie.
Below is a cut/paste
jb

ps
26000/9500=2.74
Was there only 2.74 cars last year?

Three may have started....but given what happened to Jay, his car may have ended up only counting as .74... either way it sucked for sure. :(

Honestly, I think you would have a better show if you sold tickets for $50/head and had $500 entry fees for the drivers, then had a pro/am driver dinner later to sell raffle tickets for go fast goodies that are donated and the proceeds of raffle ticket sales goes to the charity. Get a beer vendor to donate kegs and sell them at $10 cup. $500-600 from 100 people is a hell of a lot more than $9500 from 2 or less people! Apparently the marketing moguls never passed economics! :lol:

mitchntx
12-29-2007, 09:04 AM
I agree, Matt.

I typically donate 4 figures a year to local charities and would consider this one if it were a $950 donation to race.

Todd Covini
12-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I have non inside info, just offering what I saw last year.

There were twenty-something cars last year. Primarily MSRH member cars. Miatas, BMWs, Porsche's and AJ Brass's Mustang.

I believe MSR has to pay full boat for the VIP suite, which was really sweet. It was the entire floor and balcony of the Reliant bldg. Catering (food/drink/tables) for over 100 easy. Nice affair. Nice view. Great spot for the weekend.

Anyway, there are a lot of fees that go into running a race. Not everything goes to charity...only the cream...and ChampCar is there to take their share, I'm sure.

I'm with you guys on the "power in #'s, and that's what Leslie and I talked about last month. She knows the concept is out there. I told her to treat us as "Plan B" and if she can't get 25 racers to pay $9500 each, we'd do our best to help her out. I conveyed that we could likely guarantee over 30 AI/CMC racers from around the country with enough notice and a reasonable charitable donation (entry).

I'll revisit with her later in January.

If you guys have other ideas to raise the funds, let's work them offline and approach Leslie with a proposal as a concerted effort.

Shortcutsleeping
12-31-2007, 01:00 PM
So...

ANY racecar can enter? I'm interested and likely can raise the sponsorship. Thanks for the info so far, please keep posting if you find out more.

Costas
cars and such...

GlennCMC70
12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
need a crew? :D

Shortcutsleeping
12-31-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm sure I'll need LOTS of crew! 8)

I'm just curious how it will all work. Guess I'll dig around on the website and call the rep and chat with them.

Hmmm.....

Costas
cars and such...

Shortcutsleeping
12-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Damn curiosity...

I just called and talked to Leslie for a long time and the event is open to ANY licensed (logbooked) car for scca or nasa.

Glenn, were you serious? I did the dallas grand prix years ago and am not afraid to 'canyon race' and it seems like a good cause and all....

Costas
cars and such...

GlennCMC70
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
i never kid about racing.
houstons not a big drive for me at all. it would be really cool to do it at least once. i offered several times for Lou, but things never lined up to make it happen.
at least keep me in mind and in the loop w/ your plans.
you got my email addy i'm sure.

RichardP
12-31-2007, 04:42 PM
I'll crew if you need the help. It's local for me...

Richard P.

jeffburch
12-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Plus LG should be there with the new GT2 Corvette.
Plus ALL the ALMS, CCWS, and MX5.
What others?

jb

Todd Covini
12-31-2007, 06:17 PM
L'il Tony loved it last year.
There were MonsterTrucks, Mustangs, Miatas, Ferraris, Cadillacs and best of all....NASA was there! :lol:

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/214260.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/214261.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/7708/214262.jpg

Todd Covini
02-23-2008, 01:29 PM
This morning's Houston Chronicle says the Champ Car race is cancelled due to the openwheel unification on Friday. So...no openwheel racing at the Houston Grand Prix for 2008, however the weekend event is still on and they are working with ALMS to still hold their races "and looking for other support series to run the weekend." :shock:

Call into Shannon this afternoon.

-=- T

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 01:34 PM
keep us updated.

Todd Covini
02-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Statement here:

http://www.grandprixofhouston.com/

Fbody383
02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
This is exactly why the public doesn't care about open wheel racing in the states.

Tony George and his ilk think it's about the business of THEM making money. I swapped some email with them after the F1 fiasco at Indy several years back and am convinced the fans are way down the list on priority.

The NHRA may not care much about amatuer racers at national events but they make it fun for the paying fans.

You want to see a crowd? Put all the Champ Car/IRL hoopites sideways on the front straight and let Grave Digger and Max D make a couple passes.

jeffburch
02-23-2008, 03:16 PM
LOL! Gravedigger.
One of the reasons TG let F1 walk was he has NASCAR there.

So, when will our phones ring?
They must wanna beg us to come put on a real show for them now.
I'll come if they pay ME the 8 grand.
8)
jb

AI#97
02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
LOL! Gravedigger.
One of the reasons TG let F1 walk was he has NASCAR there.

So, when will our phones ring?
They must wanna beg us to come put on a real show for them now.
I'll come if they pay ME the 8 grand.
8)
jb

Shit! I'm cheap...I'll do it for $6k!!!! :lol:

RichardP
03-04-2008, 11:35 AM
however the weekend event is still on and they are working with ALMS to still hold their races

The whole event has now been canceled for this year...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5588578.html

http://www.grandprixofhouston.com/

Richard P.