PDA

View Full Version : New car being build - Rule changes for '08

chicane23
12-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Hello All,

I have a friend in Okla that is building an '06 Mustang to run in AI and he is needing a bit of guidance with rules.

Since I have been out of the loop for a few year can someone please outline the new items for '08 for both the CCRs and the AI rules?

I know of the following new rules, is there anything else?

1. Right Side Driver Nets
2. Hans Device - mid year
3. Wheel change 18x9.5

He also has cage questions, does he still send them to Jonathan H.?

Bryan wrote: We would like to tie in the x door bars to the base plate box made for the main hoop. It does not say anywhere that the door bars have to be attached to the hoop, but in the “typical cage diagram” it shows to the main hoop. I’ve attached a couple of pictures for reference to the subject. It would just give us a better angle for the “X”.

Thank you,
JG

mitchntx
12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
John, how'ya doin'? We gonna see you in 08?

We have clarified that an "attachment point" is the attachment plate. So, attaching to that "box" should be OK.

Curious ... I've seen these boxes installed on several cars. Is there a specific reason for it? floor contour possibly?

AI#97
12-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I would send all build questions to JWL on the national board. A local ruling WILL get overruled at a National or other regional event....

Not to keen on that main hoop "plate"....is that a fairly strong point on the 05's...?

donovan
12-19-2007, 01:15 PM
I sent JWL a email about the cage, I too would like to see a National comment on this. I'm thinking that it would be okay but to make sure that its okay at Nationals I passed it on.

I will let you know what I hear.

DD

Wirtz
12-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Reason I know of for using boxes like that is it is one way to be able to drop the main hoop down to get full welds all around the other bars, then lift it back into place and build the box under the hoop. Just another option to doing things like cutting through the floor or using a come along to bend the legs inward to make the top welds.

I'm not sure on the absolute strength of it vs just using a plate on the floor board, but I have seen alot of cars built like that over the years.

Those welds look nice. Nice fab work.

Jeff

mitchntx
12-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I suspect that the Ford platform is much like the GM in that the real strength is in the sill and not the floor. It's the reason we run floor plates up the sill and weld.

I also suspect Mr. Wirtz is correct in that it allows the fabricator to weld up the diagonal and down tubes easier.

My concern is there being a 3 edged "knife" that would split the floor pan in the event the cage was actually used. But, again, I'm not familar with the floor sub-structure of this version of Mustang.

I do know that when asked NATIONALLY about mounting of tubes to the bar or floor plate, the floor plate was preferred. And that brought about clarification that the whole mounting plate was considered the mounting point.

chicane23
12-19-2007, 03:43 PM
John, how'ya doin'? We gonna see you in 08?

We have clarified that an "attachment point" is the attachment plate. So, attaching to that "box" should be OK.

Curious ... I've seen these boxes installed on several cars. Is there a specific reason for it? floor contour possibly?
Hello Mr. Mitch, I'm doing just fine Sir. I hope all is well with you too.
I will come out and watch a few races this year just to see how everyone is doing. I plan to help a few different people out this next year if they get their cars together.

Yes, that is correct and you can see it picture #2.

Not to keen on that main hoop "plate"....is that a fairly strong point on the 05's...?

Are you talking about the attachment point in the top corner?

AI#97
12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Nope, that "box". Sorry. I know in my car that header that runs along the front of the back seats really doesn't do much but on the 05's might be more structural.... didn't you remove that on your BIW...?

chicane23
12-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Nope, that "box". Sorry. I know in my car that header that runs along the front of the back seats really doesn't do much but on the 05's might be more structural.... didn't you remove that on your BIW...?

Ok, that was my question in the first place. ;-)
I did something different! see attached picture.

donovan
12-19-2007, 06:37 PM
From Email:

Guys-

The configuration suggested is OK. If you read the CCR carefully, it
says that all required bars must terminate on a plate, which is often
impossible with door bars so this configuration is actually preferable.
Please do make sure that the bars are high enough to offer good
protection to the driver and an anti-intrusion plate is never a bad idea.

Thanks to all of you for your support and have a safe and happy holiday
season.

-JWL

mitchntx
12-19-2007, 07:26 PM
hmmm ... imagine that ... :roll:

8)