PDA

View Full Version : PST and Shock Services

AJ@PST
12-20-2007, 04:19 PM
PST is waiting to recieve a new Roehrig Shock Dyno!

We will be a full service center for the Penske, Bilstein, and Moton variety of shocks. What other types of other brands besides the obvious Koni would best serve this community?

The shock dyno is the final basic piece of suspension measurement equipment that our shop has been lacking.
We currently have the following services available:
-Intercomp Racing Scale Pad and Corner Weight System
-Biesbarth Optical and Wireless Alignment System
-Level Surface Plate for repeatable setup environment
-Test Track
Next step - 7 Post Shaker Rig? :wink:

Testing and a dependable setup numbers will always make the difference in any type of spec racing.

donovan
12-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Pencil me in for the 7 post... 8)

Glad to hear you will have a shock dyno... I know that I was not sure about a shock I had a couple years ago and had it rebuild mail order... it would have been nice to have it tested locally or at least validated that it needed to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the update!
DD

AI#97
12-28-2007, 12:58 PM
speaking of shocks.... AJ, are there any manufacturers out there that are making a triple adjustable reservoir shock for Fox/SN95 mustangs?

I happened across a TEIN rep a few months back and they seemed to be salivating WAY too much on the import tuner crowd.

Thanks.

MW

AJ@PST
12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes there are manufacturers that will make that. First one to mind is Penske. The price is $1225/shock. This is available in piggy back or hose mount. The trick of it is in the front and I have a source for that. This company will build a strut for me that we can use Penske internals in. This company does not charge the amount penske does for engineering so I use them for most all of my custom strut jobs.

Contact me for more specific information.

RichardP
12-28-2007, 02:04 PM
speaking of shocks.... AJ, are there any manufacturers out there that are making a triple adjustable reservoir shock for Fox/SN95 mustangs?

For the rear, any standard racing shock can be adapted easily by selecting the proper length/stroke. Pick what you want and get your wallet out…

The front is a little more interesting. Anze Engineering (http://anze.biz/) makes racing struts using Penske guts and they have an application for Mustangs. They are serious parts and multiple SCCA National Championships have been won with them. For NASA stuff, they don’t make as much sense. They are way out of bounds to be legal in CMC. In AI, I believe if you are spending that kind of money you should be optimizing a dual a-arm setup with a conventional shock.

Also, shocks/struts at this level are going to be wasted money unless you are going to do significant high level testing which will likely include multiple revalvings.

Richard P.

AI#97
12-28-2007, 03:12 PM

For the rear, any standard racing shock can be adapted easily by selecting the proper length/stroke. Pick what you want and get your wallet out…

The front is a little more interesting. Anze Engineering (http://anze.biz/) makes racing struts using Penske guts and they have an application for Mustangs. They are serious parts and multiple SCCA National Championships have been won with them. For NASA stuff, they don’t make as much sense. They are way out of bounds to be legal in CMC. In AI, I believe if you are spending that kind of money you should be optimizing a dual a-arm setup with a conventional shock.

Also, shocks/struts at this level are going to be wasted money unless you are going to do significant high level testing which will likely include multiple revalvings.

Richard P.

yep to every point! Sort of weighing the options based on cost and availability...

This is likely going to be my last year in AI and I am trying to put together a stout package for Nationals in 08. I have had to miss out the last two years for various reasons and I don't want to short change myself a third time. Will be doing limited events this year to tune and refine the car but keep costs down.

Looking at shocks or wheel/tire upgrade for an advantage at NATS but may not do either and just concentrate on fine tuning the package I have already to see if I have anything for Jay Andrew.

AJ, thanks for the ballpark pricing to help decisions!

AJ@PST
12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Yep, Anze is who I was speaking of on the alternative to Penske engineering costs. He builds a nice strut.

The triple adjustable rears will be just a standard eye to eye race shock. I also agree with Richard on the SLA front end. It is the way to go.

One other thought-
You might want to look at the 2-Way 8300 Penske shock ($995 for piggy back). It is the same body and build. The difference is in the adjustment knob. You can always upgrade to the high speed compression if desired. You can get very close on adjustments utilizing just compression and rebound if the shock is valved correctly.