PDA

View Full Version : Race weekend schedules for 08'?

AI#97
12-26-2007, 09:18 AM
So what is the plan for this year regarding race formats for 08'? Four 20's or Two twenties and a 40 minute?

Just asking now to see if anything is changing.

Thanks!

Al Fernandez
01-02-2008, 09:10 AM
The big annual NASA Tx staff meeting is the 19th. After that we'll have more info on race day schedules I am sure...but...

Any desire for a change from last years format?

AI#97
01-02-2008, 12:04 PM
The big annual NASA Tx staff meeting is the 19th. After that we'll have more info on race day schedules I am sure...but...

Any desire for a change from last years format?

Not really looking for a change per se, but just a confirmation of format.

If I were to make a suggestion, seeing that the car counts in other classes have dwindled, how about combining more groups and having 30 minute races instead of 20's...? More track time is always Mas Bueno!

Wirtz
01-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Al, if you are looking for feedback;

Seems like the schedule was working out ok last year. I do like the idea of making a mix for 20 and 40 minute races, maybe for Sunday only? As noted elsewhere on the forums, making sure that plan is announced in advance seems to be key. I also think if the standard is a 20 minute race, then if we do a 40 minute race, the points should be reflective of the longer duration.

Jeff

rpoz27
01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
I know that the not combining groups last year made for some touch and go schedules from a control point of view. There was lots of magic performed to keep us on time or at least close.

GlennCMC70
01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
i'm w/ JW on this one (not the first time its been suggested).
normal points for a single 20, but when we do a 40 in place of 2 20's, it should be double points. that way the # of points for the year remains consistant regardless of the number of "races" we run.

i also think the drops should be bumped back up. it seems we put to many people out of the points chase w/ the low number of drops.

ShadowBolt
01-02-2008, 01:11 PM
If a 40 minute race gets us on the road home sooner on Sun. then I don't mind it. If the time is the same (or close) I would rather run four races each weekend. Once the field gets strung out positions don't change much in a 40 minute race after the first 20 unless someone goes off track.

JJ

GlennCMC70
01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
there is always a chance of a full course yellow. that will get them bunched up. then look out for those who have used up their tires!

jeffburch
01-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Maybe a compulsory full course yellow in all 40min races.
:P
jb

y5e06
01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
If a 40 minute race gets us on the road home sooner on Sun. then I don't mind it. If the time is the same (or close) I would rather run four races each weekend. Once the field gets strung out positions don't change much in a 40 minute race after the first 20 unless someone goes off track.

4x20 default is my preference. I also prefer standard points regardless of length (too mistake prone, I guess).
However, of course, a couple weekends with one 40 each really is reasonable considering those competitors scheduling nationals.

only six regional race weekends for the whole year. getting on the road early is of very minor concern. I don't think any accomodation for leaving 'early' should be considered when deciding at the race format or length.

GlennCMC70
01-02-2008, 01:48 PM
the last 40 we ran everyone was asked if they wanted a "Competition Yellow" and the vast majority was against it.

AI#97
01-02-2008, 02:02 PM
the last 40 we ran everyone was asked if they wanted a "Competition Yellow" and the vast majority was against it.

Since none of us have ever tried it, maybe we should try that once...? It would have to be pretty well organized though so it doesn't last 10 minutes while the field bunches up behind a pace car...crowd would get pretty bored with that!

Let's have a 1 hour race where at the 30 minute mark, you change course direction and invert the field?! :lol:

Wirtz
01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Again, just in case anyone is taking feedback; consider this a no vote for comp yellows. The whole point of a 40 minute race is learning how to manage the car, the traffic, and the mental concentration for the longer duration.

Leave the bogus comp yellows for the guys that need to worry about TV ratings. This should be about true road racing, pure and simple.

I also agree with Glenns thoughts on the number of drops. I intend to run the whole season next year, but agree it would make more interesting for a larger number of people with a few extra drops.

Jeff

mitchntx
01-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Feedback ...

Last race of the season, all racers grid and race for a 40 or 50 or 60 minute race. The RM region did this and it was a hoot.

Grid according to class, rolling start, spaced out some so that the first lap gets everyone strung out some.

y5e06
01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Last race of the season, all racers grid and race for a 40 or 50 or 60 minute race. The RM region did this and it was a hoot.
what? we didn't do this? I could have sworn that last race was at least 60 minutes long. sure seemed like it with that #28 way off up in the distance

sorry for the off topic hijack

Waco Racer
01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
seeing that the car counts in other classes have dwindled

That is not the case in 2008. There are many new cars and drivers that are planning to race with NASA Texas next year. ST, PT, GTA, Legacy, SM, GTS, SN, HC, and SRX7 should/will all have increased car count. We may even have some Spec E30. There will also be a sports racer series joining NASA Texas. Please think long and hard before you consider wanting to combine with other groups. AI/CMC worked hard to get thier own group.

Would 3 - 30s be a consideration for anyone? SM did it in August and seemed to enjoy it.

AI#97
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
seeing that the car counts in other classes have dwindled

That is not the case in 2008. There are many new cars and drivers that are planning to race with NASA Texas next year. ST, PT, GTA, Legacy, SM, GTS, SN, HC, and SRX7 should/will all have increased car count. We may even have some Spec E30. There will also be a sports racer series joining NASA Texas. Please think long and hard before you consider wanting to combine with other groups. AI/CMC worked hard to get thier own group.

Would 3 - 30s be a consideration for anyone? SM did it in August and seemed to enjoy it.

Never said WE would combine with other groups but groups that are fielding less than 10 cars should combine with similar speed groups of similar size.

As for the new cars joining....Santa must have been good in the offseason?!

Todd Covini
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Yes. Let's be careful combining with other groups.
We have gone to great lengths to get our own run group. :twisted:

I think 3 thirty minute races is a good compromise.
IMO...40 minute races get sooo strung out that I'm just itchin' for a reason to throw a competit...er....debris flag from control.

-=- Todd

Boudy
01-02-2008, 10:51 PM
As for the new cars joining....Santa must have been good in the off season?!

Nah... Just a new batch that isn't pissed off yet... They may not last long.

Boudy

Waco Racer
01-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey, I don't piss off that many people. Usually 1 at a time. This week - Matt White. :twisted:

Matt - I don't need suggestions for other groups, just yours! Oh, wait, are you racing this year? :evil:

:wink:

AI#97
01-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey, I don't piss off that many people. Usually 1 at a time. This week - Matt White. :twisted:

Matt - I don't need suggestions for other groups, just yours! Oh, wait, are you racing this year? :evil:

:wink:

Piss me off...? Take a number and stand in line. At least a friendly sparring match with you doesn't cost me $275/hr....

and to answer your question if I am racing this year...yes! Don't make me go to nationals representing another region Amigo. :shock:

Waco Racer
01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Piss me off...? Take a number and stand in line. At least a friendly sparring match with you doesn't cost me $275/hr.... :shock:

OUCH!!

and to answer your question if I am racing this year...yes! Don't make me go to nationals representing another region Amigo. :shock:

GOOD! & May I suggest a nice South American Region.

AI#97
01-03-2008, 12:03 PM

I heard Brazil is nice this time of the year and the women are rather easy! That's not a bad idea! :lol:

Todd Covini
01-03-2008, 12:34 PM

I don't think there is a NASA Tennessee just yet. :roll:

Al Fernandez
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Jeff (and others!) YES feedback is always appreciated, by me anyway. I might not agree with it, might not act on it, but always appreciate it :D

I actually like the longer runs...unless they turn into a hot lap session. That last race where James was between 0-2 car lengths behind me for 40 damn minutes was awesome. I've also been on the track where I've been all alone for the same time...and that sucks.

OK....we'll discuss w/NASA re timing options and try to settle on a mix between sprints and mini-enduros. Maduros? 8) After that is settled we'll re-look at the drops and see if that needs to be adjusted to help keep people in the hunt.

jeffburch
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
What is the drop percentage presently? 10?

What is the proposed %?

jb

RichardP
01-03-2008, 03:53 PM
What is the drop percentage presently? 10?

What is the proposed %?

jb

Section 9.1 of the CMC rules specifies dropping 20%.

Richard P.

Wirtz
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
If you are running alone during the longer runs and bored, then just wait up for someone to play with. Especially if it is me that is behind you ;)

AllZWay
01-03-2008, 04:42 PM
If you are running alone during the longer runs and bored, then just wait up for someone to play with. Especially if it is me that is behind you ;)

No kidding... He could have just let me by and not been bored.

AI#97
01-03-2008, 05:17 PM

I tried that at the last event in Race 2....I am a little surprised I didn't get a pit lane speed violation! Must have been doing about 85mph! :shock: :lol: :oops:

GlennCMC70
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Drop %'s:
2005-2006 = 20%
2007 = 15% (was announced prior to the season start.
2008 = more than likely at least back to 20%.

the intent behind the 15% was to limit drops that would only cover a single weekend and no more. this allowed a missed weekend due to whatever reason and still allowed you to be in the hunt for season points. we had a slight drop in 2007 points collecting drivers and that reduced the number of people who where in the "chase for the cup" due to too many 0's in thier points. i would like to see that number increase and even help prevent a run-a-way like 2007. its best when it comes down to the final race of the final weekend.
2007 also started off w/ the intent of 2 20's and a single 40 for the whole season. that lasted thru April '07 TWS. from that point on we ran 4-20's. the point is w/ has planned for a big reduction in total points races for 2007. in 2005 we had 24 races. 2006 we had 26 races. 2007 we had 20. 2008 we will have xx.

Al Fernandez
01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
hehe Jeff, what makes you think the reason I'm running in circles alone is not because I cant catch up to the guy in front of me? :lol: And James, I was anything BUT bored during our races. I thought you'd be "big picture" racing, what with that Toyo contingency looming overhead...but no, not you! 8)

Right, excellent points Glenn. I would like to set it up so that you get one more race than a full weekend as drops. In other words, you can miss one weekend, and have one mechanical and still competing for a season championship. However the number of races and percentage comes down to...that'd be my goal.

BlueFirePony
01-15-2008, 11:36 PM
That would suit me since I WILL be missing the first event :x

Regardless though, 2008 for me is all about learning and having fun.

-being the 40 year old rookie is a LOT better than being the 40 year old virgin ..or so I keep telling myself :wink:

ShadowBolt
01-15-2008, 11:42 PM
You should try being the 50 year old rookie