PDA

View Full Version : Transponder problem

ShadowBolt
12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
I have the TranX Pro DP-I transponder on my car. I was at MSRC Friday teaching Marshall, Michael and Bryan a thing or two about driving (just kidding of course) and when I went in to get my lap times the guy said he did not have anything from my transponder. Michael looked at it and said there was a light that should be on when the unit has power to it. It worked at the last event I went to but that was before I cut everything out and installed the Painless system. I checked the wires running to the unit and power is going to it and the other wire is grounded. The light is NOT on. Any ideas?

Jerry

AI#97
12-31-2007, 10:22 AM
I have the TranX Pro DP-I transponder on my car. I was at MSRC Friday teaching Marshall, Michael and Bryan a thing or two about driving (just kidding of course) and when I went in to get my lap times the guy said he did not have anything from my transponder. Michael looked at it and said there was a light that should be on when the unit has power to it. It worked at the last event I went to but that was before I cut everything out and installed the Painless system. I checked the wires running to the unit and power is going to it and the other wire is grounded. The light is NOT on. Any ideas?

Jerry

Reversed polarity?

AJ@PST
12-31-2007, 03:05 PM
The polarity may be a problem. Also double check the ground for the transponder. If both check out OK let me know and I can help by sending it back to AMB for service. Don't wait until the last minute to check out the problem because the turn around time from AMB is unpredictable.

ShadowBolt
12-31-2007, 03:46 PM
There is a black and a red wire. I assume the red is positive (at least that is how I have it wired). I used my multimeter and pushed the probes into the wires (black into black and red into red) and I'm showing battery voltage.

Jerry

ShadowBolt
01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Should the light stay on all the time?

JJ

marshall_mosty
01-02-2008, 04:01 PM
If the unit has power, then yes. I have mine on a toggle with the EFI system. If the car is running, the transponder is on as well.

ShadowBolt
01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks Marshall.

JJ

jeffburch
01-02-2008, 05:19 PM
VatoZone has a RF keyfob tester on the parts counter.
Next to the fob batteries.
I wonder if you took the transponder in there with a 12vdc power source and powered it up, the tester would see it?

Sounds like (regardless of the red led) it went nightnight.
Not the 1st I've heard of.

jb