PDA

View Full Version : Inverted Starts -Poll Inside

cjlmlml
03-16-2006, 11:01 AM
What does everyone think of the way we are running inverted starts?

Calif lines up AIX AI CMC inverted,

as opposed to the way we do it now where it isnt separated by classes.

I like it the way it is and we have never really had problems till last event at MSRC.

Do we have too many cars to do it as we have been doing it?

Or are people not being careful enough and getting impatient?

I recommend we discuss this and put it to a vote.

SmackDaddy
03-16-2006, 04:29 PM
I think it would affect AI the most. As a CMC driver, I'm game either way.

I also think the slower AI guys should move over out of the way for the faster CMC guys. <joking!!>

donovan
03-16-2006, 05:02 PM
I would prefer to see it more like the West Coast does it...

Split class inverted starts.

DD

GlennCMC70
03-17-2006, 07:27 AM
split class inverted.

cjlmlml
03-17-2006, 10:32 AM
According to the list Todd posted on yahoogroups, there was no contact between the different classes AI AIX CMC, it was all within class.

I am not really buying into the safety issue 100%

SmackDaddy
03-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Oh, there was contact between AI and CMC.... it wasn't reported though. ;)

cjlmlml
03-17-2006, 12:18 PM
There is one incident of AI/CMC contact I am aware of , all the others were within class , that is my point

CMC17
03-17-2006, 03:29 PM
There is one incident of AI/CMC contact I am aware of , all the others were within class , that is my point

Keep it the same!!! I don't have a problem running over....er... passing AI cars.

Mike Bell
03-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I'd like to see it left up to the AI/AIX drivers, either way works for me.

michaelmosty
03-18-2006, 11:30 PM
I am good with how it has been. I open for trying the other way and see how everyone likes it.

BTW, who is SmackDaddy?

Mike Bell
03-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Varner's alter-ego.

michaelmosty
03-18-2006, 11:38 PM
I should have known that. haha

micah
03-20-2006, 03:48 AM
Until I get more seat time @ the tx tracks I prefer the top 20 quals to start from the paddock, cars on jack stands with no tires on them.

mitchntx
03-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Until I get more seat time @ the tx tracks I prefer the top 20 quals to start from the paddock, cars on jack stands with no tires on them.

This is the best suggestion.

Or just cars whose number add up to 8 ...

CMC17
03-20-2006, 10:41 AM

This is the best suggestion.

Or just cars whose number add up to 8 ...

Funny! Hey!! Wait a minute!

1+7=8

:P

Todd Covini
03-23-2006, 01:20 AM
The West Coast didn't always do it the way they do.

When they were at the same stage of the series life, they did it as we are now. (to quote Mr. Marvel "Ask me how I know") When the fields got bigger (CMC first)....the two groups were segregated (after repeated CMC requests) and (gasp :shock: ) CMC started out front because there were over 25 CMC cars and less than 7 or 8 AI cars.

As you can imagine some of the ultra fast AI cars in the smaller run group starting from the back weren't too happy about this, and some of those same sour grapes have begun to plant seed here in Texas.

What's different today is that both AI and CMC series both in Calif and Texas have matured, grown up, gotten bigger. The AI group is somewhat larger out there now...and we're seeing the same growth rate for AI & CMC here in Texas, as we have twin brothers (AI & CMC born on the same day.)

It's just a matter of time before segregating the two groups will make sense in Texas, but for now, it's looked at on an event by event basis. Let's not force the series to grow up too quickly...it really isn't a safety issue provided everyone is courteous to others on the track...it's part of the "teenage years"! :D

FYI..."courteous" in this context means that faster cars are aware that slower cars are on track and slower cars are aware that faster cars are on track. Patience and strategy are two way streets for both AI & CMC.

David Love AI27
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Keep it the same!!! I don't have a problem running over....er... passing AI cars.

just be aware that the #27 AI car has been widened

Mike Bell
03-24-2006, 03:36 PM
we're seeing the same growth rate for AI & CMC here in Texas, as we have twin brothers (AI & CMC born on the same day.)

Typical revisionist history BS. I sir, beg to differ. :lol:

MikeP99Z
03-24-2006, 04:54 PM
I agree wtih Mr. Bell (2003 AI Champ).

I'm also still waiting for my 2003 AIX trophy.

CMC17
03-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree wtih Mr. Bell (2003 AI Champ).

I'm also still waiting for my 2003 AIX trophy.

Maybe you will get something that resembles your name on that trophy.

MikeP99Z
03-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Point being that AI was in Texas in 2003.

That first event I noticed a "blue" Mustang sitting on top of the hill with a big-ass number 16 on it. My first two thoughts were:

1. Cool, he's got big-ass numbers on his car like I do., and
2. Cool, I have someone's ass to kick this weekend. :lol:

CMC17
03-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Point being that AI was in Texas in 2003.

That first event I noticed a "blue" Mustang sitting on top of the hill with a big-ass number 16 on it. My first two thoughts were:

1. Cool, he's got big-ass numbers on his car like I do., and
2. Cool, I have someone's ass to kick this weekend. :lol:\

Point taken. I was being facetious towards the Championship trophies. My name was spelled wrong.

AI rocked in '03! At least that's what I gather from Mr. Bell when he kicked everyone's arse that showed up and won the title. lol!!! <humor>

Mike Bell
03-24-2006, 07:53 PM
And then Patterson promptly broke his car. Been a common story for him. :)

MikeP99Z
03-25-2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah, those weren't charming events. Broken clutch one weekend, and broken torque arm mount another.

This year wasn't charming either.

Mike Bell
03-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Sorry Mike, been rough and I shouldn't have kicked sand at ya. Just think how much you've helped me along the way, now I got a car with a big ole 18 on the side lol.

Look forward to seeing you at the track next month!

chris-CMC#35
03-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Given that I have typically been up front in the inverted starts :wink: I'll add my two cents.
Cent one: please let me know if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever held up an AI car (during a start or any other time), or unfortunately most of the CMC cars. :cry:
Cent two: I like things the way they are.

-chris

oz98cobra
03-30-2006, 04:38 AM
As the newb to CMC/AI racing, I can't make informed comment about inverted starts from a first hand experience point of view, however, since the West Coast has already grown up ahead of TX and we have seen how and when they handled the situation, should not we be able to leverage that experience and state up front something like "as soon as there are x number of cars in AI/AIX, we will run split class inverted starts"?

This way there can be agreement up front, less chance of sour grapes, and the subject won't dog us all year. We all agree it is coming, and we have a yard stick to go by, so why not set the criteria now and it will become a non-issue?

Thats my rookie 2 cents worth

Mike Bell
03-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Or maybe venue specific? As mentioned above, MSR Cresson is a tight little course on the 1.7 circuit, maybe we should try this next race event and then decide if we like it or should delay it? I really don't see where this should make a bit of difference to a CMC driver.

Rattlesnake to Ricochet is a tight section for almost a third of the course.

AI#97
03-30-2006, 09:29 PM
This will be my one and only post on this subject....hopefully taken in a positive manner.

I would prefer the separate "invertedness" for the simple fact that given the race is only 8-9 laps in length, it would give each group the full 8-9 laps to race within their class...

Let's try it and see if we like it! I would LOVE to get a 3rd race in this next event.....

<-----runs and hides for cover :)

mitchntx
03-31-2006, 11:50 AM
I have no problem with a split class start, inverted or not.

Anything to slow Mr. SchuVarner down ...

CMC17
03-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I have no problem with a split class start, inverted or not.

Anything to slow Mr. SchuVarner down ...

I'm all for anything that makes me faster.....er I mean the split grid is fine with me either way.

MikeP99Z
03-31-2006, 03:40 PM
I figured CMC17 would be slower this year with that A-frame home roof attached to his car. (Or so it appears in his pic).

CMC17
03-31-2006, 04:12 PM
The A-frame wasn't cutting through the wind like I had hoped. I went for the extreme wind tunnel design. :lol: