PDA

View Full Version : Round 2- What to do?

Todd Covini
02-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Spring Break is the week after our Round 2 weekend.
As such, we're thinking of a family vacation which starts off with MSR.
While I'm at the track Sat/Sun, what is there to do in Granbury for the wife & kids?
Anything around the Ft. Worth area that isn't too far from the track that they can do a day trip to?
Anyone actually live in Granbury that might know?

-=- T

donovan
02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/dinosaur_valley/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4503_094r.pdf

Its just south of the track.

DD

AllZWay
02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Not real close.... but it is a cool place. We took the kids just after it opened up.

http://www.greatwolf.com/LandingPage/Grapevine.4col.4.altmsg.html

jeffburch
02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Some sort of dinosaur fossil park near Glen Rose.
Fossil Rim state park.

jb

marshall_mosty
02-15-2008, 05:22 PM
The Ft. Worth zoo is nice as well.

Rob Liebbe
02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Lots of stuff in Ft. Worth - Tarantula Steam Train, Stockyards, Science and Natural History Musuem, Kimbal Art Museum, Water Gardens, Zoo, Old Town, IMAX, Botanic Gardens (where Kim and I got married), etc. Kim and my boys will be there that weekend too, then they are going up to Lake Texoma for the week of Spring Break.

BryanL
02-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Granbury does have a little downtown with some antique shops and junk like that.
Like the others said there is plenty to do around FW. Arlington is just 15-20 minutes away as well and there is Six Flags. Further west in Grand prairie is the wax museum, horse races at Lonestar Park.

Just depends on how old the kids are and what they like to do. TCU might have baseball or softball games going on?

They aren't going to be at the track checking your tire pressures/temps? you know the heat is on you now to get the Ranchero on the track with James.

Todd Covini
02-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the excellent input. I'm passing it all on.

The kids are 9 & 5...and my wife will never be AI/CMC wife of the year.
She's the best and let's me do my thing but the deal is contingent upon her never having to do anything associated with racing. (I can't even get a foot to help with bleeding brakes!) She's more of the outdoorsy type and would rather hike, bike or run somewhere.

This fact (and others) truly is what is behind our "Wife of the Year" award because I so respect & am jealous of the racing wives & families who all come out to support what we do.

I just sent Liz Wirtz' award in the mail this week for her outstanding efforts last year. Hope to see more families out there at Round 2!!!

-=- Todd

PS- I'm off to check on the body shop!!!

mitchntx
02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Along with Dinosaur Valley State Park that David pointed out, there is a drive through wildlife refuge. I think this is what Jeff eluded to.

www.fossilrim.com

Took my kids to it when they were 10 and 8 and they had a blast.

Granbury is a tourist trap, the square is filled with over-priced and worthless doo-dads. It's geared towards bus loads of blue-haired retired groups, each seeking to spend their children's inheritance.

Ft. Worth would probably be a better place.

Rob mentioned the Ft. Worth Museum of Science and History ... an awesome place. And the Ft. Worth Zoo and the Botanical Gardens are all along University near I30. Easy to find and easy access.

BryanL
02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
For hiking you need to go to the Fort Worth Nature Center. Its between eagle mountain lake and lake worth. I think you pay a few bucks and they have all kinds of trails with lots of wildlife. I live right by it and can help you with directions and places to eat if need be.
There is plenty to do to keep busy for 2 days but you may be dealing with spring break crowds.