PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Willful destruction of vehicle

Pages : [1] 2

Rsmith350
02-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Well guys, Operation: Willful destruction of vehicle is under way. Tore out the entire back interior and will start on the front tomorrow. Have a shopping cart that I'm piling everything into. Gonna weigh it after I'm done just out of curiosity. Will post pictures soon. :lol:

AllZWay
02-17-2008, 06:18 PM
The tearing apart is fun....but the building back is better. :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
02-17-2008, 08:03 PM
update ross! How goes it?

Well the motor is prep'd and ready to be put together on my Ford, All interior is out, dash included. Got a set of used tires, wheels are off, brakes look good. Hopefully she will be ready for Cresson DE's. now for a seat and a 4 point cage...

Proctor how's your car doing?

AllZWay
02-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Proctor how's your car doing?

It is going to live. My Dad worked on it all week and then we worked on all day on Saturday.

It has a new fender, door and different radiator. The quarter is still really ugly, but is pushed back out and looks like a quarter again.

The k-member looks , but I won't really know for sure until I get it to the alignment shop to see if we can get the alignment back in place.

I think I will make Cresson for sure now.

Rsmith350
02-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok so yeah she looks real bad right now and I found some cancer that went through the sheet metal on the A-pillar. Interior is gone except for dash and the carpet under the seats. Motor and Tranny come out next Sunday and new TPI motor should go in the next week. Not looking good for Cresson and I've almost decided that I'm not bringing her out at all until I'm happy with it. God this is alot of work! So here are some pics of the progress.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0008.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0010.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0014.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0015.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0016.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0017.jpg

So there it is....more to come later.... I hope :lol:

Rsmith350
02-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh yeah.....All that white crap behind the taillights....that's about half an inch of dirt!!! It's amazing what you find in a 21 year old car! There was a wadded up t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants BEHIND the speakers in the back!

Jeremy Gunter
02-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Glad to hear it's doing well proctor. I was in the process of telling Ross how I thought you could be a major chance for the championship this year on your way to gut check, turned my head towards turn 1 and heard him go OOOOOOoooo... I hated to see it happen, but was happy when I saw you jump the fence... Hope to see you there!

Ross, Get off your lazy bum and get to work, priorities Rosco, valentines day is over, she got her chocolate, now your car needs the attention... :P or you could just rent another Malibu in Dallas :D

looking good so far... BTW Richard Painter is a stand up guy, hes finishing up my heads early this week...

Rsmith350
02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a 21 year old car sir!!!......it's alot of work! And it's just me!

Rsmith350
02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
FOUND- Random hoses.....six shop rags, a coupon for 25 cents of ground chuck from 1992 (probably expired), t-shirt stating "I love Texas", sports section from 2000 in radiator. All found in engine compartment of 86 Camaro! LOL :lol:

michaelmosty
02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
The carpet looks to be in great shape. :shock:

Rsmith350
02-18-2008, 01:52 PM
LOL shuuudup!! :lol: Wait till you see the pics of the UNDERSIDE of this bucket! It's enough to give you a coronary...I know I almost did!!

Todd Covini
02-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Save the "I love Texas" T-shirt....we can find uses for that at Nationals.

Rsmith350
02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
oops sorry Todd it got used for a shop rag already :lol:

Al Fernandez
02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Progress...progress!! (meanwhile my car hasnt even made it out of the trailer! :oops: )

Russ How bad is the rust? Are you going to have to cut/fab/weld or can you get away with just treating it?

Jeremy...mus-turds have that glued on sound deadening stuff right? You going to take the torch to it? 8)

Rsmith350
02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
not real bad, It's just a few spots but they are THROUGH the A-pillar. will take pictures on Thurs.

AI#97
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh yeah.....All that white crap behind the taillights....that's about half an inch of dirt!!! It's amazing what you find in a 21 year old car! There was a wadded up t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants BEHIND the speakers in the back!

Funny you say that! If you ever see the top gear episode where they came to america to Buy cars for a vacation, Jeremy bought a camaro and found a crap load of old nasty clothes behind the truck panels. My guess is to stop a lot of the rattles and noises in the f-body!

Rsmith350
02-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I just realized something, I'm putting a FI motor in a carbureted car. I'm gonna need to run a return line! Geez...this motor swap is getting more complicated by the second! Break out the rule book :cry:

Rsmith350
02-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Funny you say that! If you ever see the top gear episode where they came to america to Buy cars for a vacation, Jeremy bought a camaro and found a crap load of old nasty clothes behind the truck panels. My guess is to stop a lot of the rattles and noises in the f-body!

Either that or some really cheap baffling for the speakers. I pulled about 12 pounds of speaker wire and RCA's from the back hatch. Redneck version of "pimp your ride". Check out the retarded side molding someone slapped on there in the first picture I posted :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
stop complaining, you wanna race don't ya!

Shoulda bought a mustang! :P

Rsmith350
02-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Piss off!

I wouldn't drive a "mudstain" if you gave it to me! :lol:

michaelmosty
02-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Mudstains are gonna whoop your azz. :shock:
Drive it like you drove the Malibu!! :lol:

AI#97
02-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Well, Jeremy's might be running this weekend. Hope that's enough motivation for you to get yours running! ;)

Rsmith350
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
My F-body needs no motivation other than to whup some "my little pony" butt!!! This next week the new "heart" goes in...just needs a little touch of soul now!!! Muah hahaha!! :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
02-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Ross got himself a cougar, not a Camaro, looks good till you get it down to nothing but skin...

Rsmith350
02-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Go ahead and laugh it up buddy! Made some real progress on here yesterday. The new TPI setup goes in Sunday, the tranny is already at the shop getting new gears installed and the T2r differential should be here by Monday. My running gear will be set soon. Roll cage material is on it's way as well as the harness. Gonna wait till next month to tackle all the suspension stuff. I'd say I'm on track for a fully functioning race car in two months or so :wink: Oh yeah and I've spent approx $2500 including the car so far. I also just scored access to a paint booth so it's gonna be lookin slick too! :P

Adam Ginsberg
02-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I just realized something, I'm putting a FI motor in a carbureted car. I'm gonna need to run a return line! Geez...this motor swap is getting more complicated by the second! Break out the rule book :cry:

It might be beneficial to keep it carbed for now. There's a 305 carb spec package in the CMC rules.

Rsmith350
02-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Too late :D already pulled the motor and have the Tpi setup going on it Sunday. I have everything I need now. Isn't near as hard as I thought it was gonna be. Freakin myself out for nuthin. With the condition of the motor I would have spent just as much building the spec motor as I have for the TPI. Plus I get the added bonus of more torque and better throttle response. It's gonna take a little bit and I'll probably be running another damn rental car for Cresson but I planned way ahead of time and I'll have an actual sports car for this one. :twisted:

Fbody383
02-22-2008, 02:17 PM
...but I planned way ahead of time and I'll have an actual sports car for this one. :twisted:

Malibu SS? :shock:

Rsmith350
02-22-2008, 03:00 PM
LOL! No gonna be a pontiac solstice. Figure I can screw with the Lotus guys some more :lol: Already passed'em in the Malibu!

AI#97
02-22-2008, 03:05 PM
LOL! No gonna be a pontiac solstice. Figure I can screw with the Lotus guys some more :lol: Already passed'em in the Malibu!

Be VERY watchful of the tranny temps and leaks... If you can get an S197 v6 stang, I might be pursuaded to let you use up these Kumho V710's I have for a small fee...that is if we don't have Jeremy's car running by then! ;)

Rsmith350
02-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Be VERY watchful of the tranny temps and leaks... If you can get an S197 v6 stang, I might be pursuaded to let you use up these Kumho V710's I have for a small fee...that is if we don't have Jeremy's car running by then! ;)

I think I can speak for every GM guy here and say that even a rental mustang is against the religion. But seriously....do those cars have problems? I can always grab something else. I've never seen one in my shop for anything other than oil changes and tires.

AI#97
02-22-2008, 03:31 PM
the story is the trans gets hot during Open Track events and starts acting funny. Same goes for the V8 Mustang GT autos, but the V6 does fine. :?

The little 2 door Chrysler/Benz does pretty good and heard good things about the G6's. Most of this comes from the OT instructors that travel and rent cars in the city they go to.

Just be careful so you aren't dealing with burned up cars! :lol:

Rsmith350
02-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I was thinking of getting the little Chrysler Crossfire. These cars are new to the fleet, it's a shame they're gonna get thrashed :lol:

Fbody383
02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Here's a rent-a-car for you:

http://www.autoblog.com/media/2006/03/gt350h.jpg

Rsmith350
02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
You can actually get those from Hertz LOL! The new syle though. Only $560 a weekend.....no thanks :?

Rsmith350
02-22-2008, 04:33 PM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006-ford-shelby-gt-h-unveiled.html

Jeremy Gunter
02-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Well the motor is about 50% back together, Pulled the dash out, Paneled up the Firewall and found a guy with a CRAP LOAD of parts for a mustang for damn near nothing... I have a set of used tires, wheels are cleaned up, and found a local shop that has agreed to $10 a wheel tire changing... I am hoping to have her DE ready for MSR-C...

Did you order some extra roll cage material for your FORD buddy? How much was it? who's building yours?

Glad to see you are working through the issues Ross, We have been talking about this since the day we met, but on two wheels instead of four... Offer still stands if you need a good Hispanic voice to help you out one weekend...

jeffburch
02-22-2008, 10:09 PM
Ross & Jeremy.
Nice work guys!
Thanks for the updates.
I enjoy following your progress and am sure others here do as well.
Keep them coming.
thx,
jb

p.s.
I'm dickin with plug wires and valve adjustments.
I have a noisy lifter and don't wanna dig it out and replace. Uhg.

Rsmith350
02-23-2008, 10:08 AM
JB- that sucks, no fun. Feel free to jump in at any time if you know of somethin' we're gonna run into during the build. That goes for all you guys watchin this thread. Thanks ahead of time :)

Jeremy- Roll cage stuff is coming from Jeg's, pre-bent, mild steel, comes cut longer than necessary just in case. Have to two guys that are gonna help me out with it. Both repair CNC machines for a living. One of the guys has done four LT1 swaps in his own vehicles and is gonna guide me through my swap. I still have to pull all the a/c crap (drier, blower motor, condensor out) Trying to avoid pulling the dash. If I do that It won't be ready for Cresson. Cause I'll end up getting the rest of the roll cage, re-do all the gauges, etc. Gotta do this in steps. There's never enough time :?

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 10:17 AM
JB- that sucks, no fun. Feel free to jump in at any time if you know of somethin' we're gonna run into during the build. That goes for all you guys watchin this thread. Thanks ahead of time :)

Jeremy- Roll cage stuff is coming from Jeg's, pre-bent, mild steel, comes cut longer than necessary just in case. Have to two guys that are gonna help me out with it. Both repair CNC machines for a living. One of the guys has done four LT1 swaps in his own vehicles and is gonna guide me through my swap. I still have to pull all the a/c crap (drier, blower motor, condensor out) Trying to avoid pulling the dash. If I do that It won't be ready for Cresson. Cause I'll end up getting the rest of the roll cage, re-do all the gauges, etc. Gotta do this in steps. There's never enough time :?

STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP
STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP
STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP

the stuff from Jegs in not DOM tube. it is ERW. ERW tube is not NASA (or SCCA) legal. trust me, i've tryed all those options before i built my cage and thus many more since then.
and its worth repeating. your cage must be made of DOM tube, not ERW. ERW is not allowed.

AI#97
02-23-2008, 10:21 AM

First problem is the mild steel cage....MUST be DOM tubing. The MS is good for drag racing and that is it. Before you start buying parts, I suggest reading and re-reading the CCR's and CMC rules a couple of times.

MS Bars are find for HPDE but for racing, they need to be DOM...much stronger. Kirk Racing Products build proper bolt in kits that can be welded up to work as well for lower costs.

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 10:21 AM
also, another way of checking your getting DOM tube (besides the lack of a seam inside the tube) is the price. DOM .120" wall 1.75" tube runs about $5 per foot.

AI#97
02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
also, another way of checking your getting DOM tube (besides the lack of a seam inside the tube) is the price. DOM .120" wall 1.75" tube runs about $5 per foot.

That's a GREAT price...I think I paid closer to $6/ft from smiley's in 2005!!!

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 10:24 AM

First problem is the mild steel cage....MUST be DOM tubing. The MS is good for drag racing and that is it. Before you start buying parts, I suggest reading and re-reading the CCR's and CMC rules a couple of times.

MS Bars are find for HPDE but for racing, they need to be DOM...much stronger. Kirk Racing Products build proper bolt in kits that can be welded up to work as well for lower costs.

let me correct you Matt. DOM comes in mild steel as well as CM. mild steel is not the problem, its the ERW part.

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 10:26 AM
our last order from them was $4.80 per foot for .095" wall mild steel. CM tube will be alot more, and .120" wall a little more than .095".

jeffburch
02-23-2008, 11:40 AM
I saw a AutoPower bolt in cage for sale cheap somewhere recently.
Yup, get the printer ink and paper stocked up and put the CCR in a notebook so you can take it with you wherever you go.
I've exchanged a ton of emails with you Ross and have mentioned the CCR.
I'd prep the car for DE at Cresson. Strip/gut and get the drivetrain sorted.
We know your anxious but it may be a tough chew what you've bitten off.
Pace yourself.

jb

Also, what's the BFD with pulling a mandrel thru the tubing anyway?
How does this make it SOOOooo much better/stronger?
DOM and ERW are the same stuff.
How the heck is pulling a mandrel thru it such a big deal?
I've never understood this.
I think it is nothing more than social distinction between drag racing and SCCA high brow rules makers. You know, those guys we're always criticizing. Most of NASA's CCR is a plagiarized copy/paste of the SCCA GCR anyway.
I understand the pipe vs. tubing but this........... :roll:

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 11:55 AM
listen to Jeff.
myself and Mitch have built complete cars in 6 weeks working mostly weekends only. i dont remember getting any awards for it.
get it done, and do it right. your better off getting it mechanicly sound and spend some time in HPDE. there is normally a nice long break in the summer to tackle some big tasks. shoot for end of the year to be ready to run w/ us.

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 12:08 PM
the gist of it is DOM is stronger.
good info here:
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=2886

Fbody383
02-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Trying to avoid pulling the dash. If I do that It won't be ready for Cresson.

Just pull the dash... put the dash bar in where it belongs.

Ross, the last 1 3/4" X .120 I picked up was, IIRC, $4.91 a foot, in rough 20's, from Steel Supply Inc. on Telephone just north of BW8.

http://www.steelsupplyinc.com/

Rsmith350
02-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Holy crap guys.....THANKS!!! That sh*& was going to be welded in next week. Glad I said something. JB-Glenn you are absolutely right...i need to chill out on this thing and take my time. That could have been a REALLY expensive and time consuming screw up! Went home sick today from work so looks like I will have a sit down with the rule book for awhile. I need to step back and take a fresh look at this. I think Cresson may be out anyway due to personal obligations so this would be a good time to fine tune the game plan. Thanks again guys for all your help and advise. There is no trophy for who gets there car done first? :? oops.

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 07:43 PM
we (Mitch and myself) did this one for Nick R. its fully CMC legal.

let us know if we can help.

Rsmith350
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Nice work sir! Super clean! Do you happen to remember how much tubing it took to make that one?

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 10:36 PM
about 115'.

Rsmith350
02-23-2008, 10:41 PM
My god! That's alot of tube you laid! Did you take it out to dinner before? :lol: No but seriously...That's $600 in material plus what about 2 days of labor?

GlennCMC70
02-23-2008, 11:32 PM
uuummmmm, more like about 80hrs.

Rsmith350
02-23-2008, 11:38 PM
UUmmmmmm.......holy crap!

jeffburch
02-24-2008, 10:01 AM
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2218&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

jb

Rsmith350
02-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Again...you are a lifesaver! Thanks JB

Jeremy Gunter
02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
I am dreading getting the sound deadening/Glue out of my floor board.......

jeffburch
02-25-2008, 06:23 PM
I have a piezo map gas torch that would work great.
I use it to knock slag off race tires before I store them in Bev's closet.

jb

GlennCMC70
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
i useda heat gun and a putty knife. worked really well w/out the fire department getting involved.

Jeremy Gunter
02-25-2008, 06:31 PM
FIRE FIRE

Rsmith350
02-25-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm using a mini blow torch and a putty knife....the heat gun sounds alot safer. Don't want to have a burnt shell to rebuild :shock:

Wirtz
02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
When I stripped my 3rd gen, I took a air chisel and blunted the tip with a file. Then set it on a low air setting and used it to zip off long strips of the goo at a time. Most of it semi chips off. Then at some point I needed to use acetone on a rag to remove the last little bit that was on the sheetmetal.

There is always the dry ice idea too. But no matter, I always ended up needing to wipe things down to get the last bits off.

Jeff

Rsmith350
02-29-2008, 06:32 PM
OK. Here is the next segment in the never ending saga. The cancer on the A-pillar....done alot of painting but never had to repair sheet metal. It's all the way through the surface in spots. What are my options....tack-weld, cut and weld a new piece in? (seems too small for that) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Gunter
02-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I would attach pics if possible....

ShadowBolt
02-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Let me know if you need somw pieces of sheet metal. I will hook you up.

Jerry

Rsmith350
03-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Ok so after a stint of being sicker than a freakin dog I was back to work on the beater again today. Have the motor mocked up....Not going to be these colors but it looks good the way it is....and no this oil pan is not going on there. Found out after stripping the ground effects off that most of them are trash and the car has been wrecked in the front and someone did a PISS poor job of fixing it! Needs front fenders, chin spoiler and most of the side skirt stuff (fiberglass does not hold up well!!) Still haven't formulated a game plan on the rust on the top but maybe some of ya'll can help now that I have pictures. :wink: So here is the latest in the never ending saga.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0050-2.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0029-1.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0032-1.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0033-1.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0038-1.jpg

There was literally ten pounds of dirt inside each skirt!!!!!

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0030.jpg

Till Thursday...same beater time.....same beater channel :roll:

GlennCMC70
03-02-2008, 11:04 PM
if those valve covers are not factory, they are not legal.
just an FYI.

Rsmith350
03-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah those are just there to look pretty at the moment....... but thanks

GlennCMC70
03-02-2008, 11:51 PM
as for the rust, just bondo the holes up.

Jeremy Gunter
03-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Those are cute pictures of that bowtie motor...

Rosco, I feel for ya bro, you are a lot deeper into your body than I have had to get...

AI#97
03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
if those valve covers are not factory, they are not legal.
just an FYI.

just asking a question here, but why on earth is that a problem? I recommended to jeremy that he speak to you about this because of the plastic valve covers that come stock on the mod motors. There is a plastic "baffle" in them to prevent raw oil getting sucked into the PCV system. In time, the glue gives way and the baffle falls off and gets chewed up in the valvetrain. I suppose you could drill them and put pop rivets in them but why is an aftermarket valve cover really that big of a deal? Again, just asking questions here...

Thanks!

Al Fernandez
03-03-2008, 08:40 AM
I sort of agree with Glenn; the damage doesnt look extensive enough to cut and replace, but I wouldn't use generic bondo...step up to something a little more solid:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=21824&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=516&iSubCat=518&iProductID=21824

or

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=21830&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=516&iSubCat=518&iProductID=21830

GlennCMC70
03-03-2008, 08:42 AM
its a big deal cause its not allowed. there are many things w/ gegards to my 4th gen that just make sence to do, but are still not allowed.

as for the motor pics, its beeen pointed out that there is nothing in those pics thats legal.
nice one. :)

Rsmith350
03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
as for the motor pics, its been pointed out that there is nothing in those pics thats legal.

Ok ya'll...the motor in the picture has stuff we had laying around for an LT4 build. If you notice...NOTHING is bolted down. Pic is for entertainment purposes only. Haven't finished powder coating the stock stuff and the Canton pan isn't here yet. I learned my lesson from the almost roll cage screw up (thanks Glenn and Burch!) The CCR stays with me at all times when making decisions now.

Thanks Al...gonna go pick up some of that...it's perfect.

AI#97
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
as for the motor pics, its been pointed out that there is nothing in those pics thats legal.

Ok ya'll...the motor in the picture has stuff we had laying around for an LT4 build. If you notice...NOTHING is bolted down. Pic is for entertainment purposes only. Haven't finished powder coating the stock stuff and the Canton pan isn't here yet. I learned my lesson from the almost roll cage screw up (thanks Glenn and Birch!) The CCR stays with me at all times when making decisions now.

Thanks Al...gonna go pick up some of that...it's perfect.

One person's fiasco is anothers step into AI!!! ;) come on in and play!

Rsmith350
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
UPDATE:

Just picked up an entire 1LE brake system with master and booster!!! woo hoo. Racecraft here i come!

AllZWay
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Your moving on along.

I also wouldn't worry about a little rust like that. Just bondo and be done with it.

Rsmith350
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
it's getting there...seems like the more time that passes the more I'm coming upon great deals! Thanks to everyone who has helped out and given advice! I would be up s&*% creek without you guys helping.

Proctor good to see you back up and running!!

Jeremy Gunter
03-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Racecraft at cresson Rosco? for real?

I have my car back together, small items are still being delivered and picked up and I haven't even started the motor.... BUT, if all goes well, I hope to be DEin at cresson in my new girlfriend, Katrina...

Regarding valve covers, I know it's not allowed, the money shouldn't be spent there, and maybe there is a chance to get more oil, somehow, somewhere, cooling, or some sort of power/weight advantage... and I know all the steps to try and get a rule changes, permission, or a pass... but my point is, I "think" it's dumb.... especially when there is a chance that it could prevent, as Matt mentioned, a motor catastrophe... but hey, the rules are the rules, and I don't plan on breaking them just to save a motor... Plastic is lighter anyways... advantage #1 weight, up high, above the front axle...

I am sure there are a lot of little things "we" as CMCers could do to help prolong the life of our drivetrains, but the rules may say otherwise. And the money doesn't need to get any higher than it already is...

Just my non-licensed 2c...

GlennCMC70
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
lets say that all the top 5 (and only the top 5) cars each year run trick carbon valve covers.
now we all know those dont win races. they dont mean anything than a lighter wallet. at this level of the game there is 100 times the amount of lap time reduction in tire pressures and alignment specs than what these valve covers will net you. but because the top 5 have them, thats why they win and no one else does. so the #6 car will get them. thats waisted money.
this level is for totally green drivers to come into the series and learn the craft of racing. that includes learning that carbon valve covers dont amount to a hill of beans. but the only way they will learn that is to not run them and to see they are getting beat by those who dont run them.
apply this line of thought to just about the entire rule book.
like i said before, there are many examples of things i think are dumb, but many have went before you and many have failed to make the changes they wanted.

my #1 example - wheels. i see no reason to not allow 3 piece wheels that are bolted. there is no advantage as long as they weigh 17lbs or more. but try as i may, i cant get them to allow CCW's, Kodiacs, Forglines, or bla bla bla.

8.34. Wheels/Tires
8.34.1. All cars may use any one piece or two piece wheel that weighs more than 16lbs.
8.34.2. Maximum wheel size is 16”x8” for CMC and 17”x9.5” for CMC-2.
8.34.3. Maximum tire size is 255/50R16 for CMC and 255/40R17 for CMC-2. The only tire brand and model allowed is the Toyo Proxes RA-1.
8.34.4 Wheel spacers are allowed and wheels may have any offset.

jeffburch
03-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Front alignments, especially store-bought alignments are overrated and should be against the rules IMO.
Just kidding.

That wheel rule will be irrelevant in the future with the 17" wheel.
Of course with wheels always getting bigger, by the time we go to 17", no one will make any.
Not kidding.

jb

Rsmith350
03-03-2008, 08:48 PM
It seems to me (with my extensive knowledge that it's along the lines of what Glenn was saying

this level is for totally green drivers to come into the series and learn the craft of racing.

I liken this series to stock car racing with more than just left turns :shock:
It's like they are forcing you to learn your car and realize that there is a hell of alot more to racing than a big motor. For guys that are super green and never raced ANYTHING that is probably a great idea and will help out alot when and if they decide to move to a higher class. I have racing experience (two wheels, and drag but still) and I've learned a HELL of alot since I started this monster project. I'm with Jeremy in the fact that once we get some experience in this level I'd like to go to AI. It's killin me not building this motor the way that I want to. I think that is most guys though. Just my 2c from an unlicensed inexperienced driver :wink:

GlennCMC70
03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
i'm w/ you. my street car is what my CMC car wants to be when it grows up.
450 rwhp LS1 w/ 315's on 17x11's w/ 4 pot Brembo's and full LGM suspension. its just begging to be gutted and caged and go run AIX.
i went from that to CMC and it was hard not mod'ing the thing.

BUT, my god! did the CMC car cause me to have to learn to drive. and that is the real intent of this series. its about the driver, not the wallet. i gave up wallet racing when i quit drag racing.

Jeremy Gunter
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Point taken... but 4th gen stock wheels have never been rumored, in isolated cases, to implode, "due to a some Tea Sipper engineering student deciding to put glue inside the valve cover...." :lol:
and there are alternative options if they were designed by a tea sipper...

here is my point, regulating the rules is necessary, in fact it's the only way in this class, but providing non-performance enhancing alternatives, that are cost effective, and are believed to prolong the life of the drive-train, seem to be worthy of consideration to the rules. Use terms like, same weight, or same Volume, or same manufacturer's mold... like the Canton pans with part numbers... anything to give someone an alternative over faulty....
What about synthetic oils? nothing in the rules say we can run them, they don't come on/in the car from the factory, they are believed to increase performance, and they also prolong the drive-train's life, over conventional lubricants... yet because it's not enforced, it's not against the rules? I'm seriously trying to prove a point, not to be caddy...
So if I "an individual with a CMC car, and license" protested someone for using Synthetic Lubricants, would they be DQ'd? what about the entire field?

I know I'm not the first, but I bet ya a set of Toyo's I'm not the last... :roll:

Why am I worried, I can run whatever in DE... :?:

GlennCMC70
03-03-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm going to DQ every driver i see putting gas in the tank. no where in the rules does it say you can actually PUT gas in the tank.

Todd, Adam....... is this my own self created Hell?

I'll tell you what was told to me. sit back and run for 1 year. if after that year you still don't get it, you never will. I'm not saying your points are not valid, in fact they are. as many have before you. its the can of worms deal. i only want one worm......... I'm pretty sure i can open the can and only let one out........ right? where do we draw the line.

I'll tell ya a little story here. the story of the "might as wells".
way back in 2000 i wanted to do a head sway on my 98Z. i had $1000 in a set of heads and a set of head gaskets - that's all it was going to cost me. during dis-assembly i broke a head bolt off 2" below the deck! crap! only way to fix it was to pull the motor and take it to a machine shop. upon arrival i was informed that they would only do it w/ the motor completely torn down. crap! block was not fixable, so on to a replacement block. machine work needed for the replacement block. might as well balance the rotating assembly. its dumb to balance w/ stock pistons. might as well get a set of Diamond Pistons. might as well get rid of that puny little 221 dur .480" lift cam and go w/ the 240 dur .600" lift cam. might as well put a quality harmonic balancer. might as well get all ARP studs. might as well get rid of the $1000 heads and go w/ a set of CRD ported heads (CRD - thing Daytona Prototype!) thru LGM. oh crap now i need SVO 30's! get rid of the OEM head gaskets and go w/ Cometics. no since in keeping this motor corked up w/ the B&B TriFlow cat back, lets go duals w/ a Dr Gas X and Pro Flow bullets.

the "might as wells" stopped a $7000. not bad for a $1000 head swap, huh?

so where do we draw the line? at what point is the cut off for cost effective?

AI#97
03-03-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm going to DQ every driver i see putting gas in the tank. no where in the rules does it say you can actually PUT gas in the tank.

I'll tell you what was told to me. sit back and run for 1 year.

J and I had a long conversation tonight and I gave him the Glenn story and the Matt story about both of our rookie "know it all years" and suggested the same thing. Concentrate on seat time and leave all the brain work on other things that are "inside your circle of influence".

Of course, I may have created a monster!!! :lol:

AI#97
03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
so where do we draw the line? at what point is the cut off for cost effective?

Any chance we can get you a seat on the AI rules board?! :wink:

Todd Covini
03-03-2008, 11:32 PM

J and I had a long conversation tonight and I gave him the Glenn story and the Matt story about both of our rookie "know it all years" and suggested the same thing. Concentrate on seat time and leave all the brain work on other things that are "inside your circle of influence".

http://www.duq.edu/facultyhome/fredbortz/KidSciBooks/lindar.jpeg

I'm so proud of you two I'm welling up inside. :lol:

AI#97
03-03-2008, 11:45 PM

You get a new wig?! :P

Al Fernandez
03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
It really is amazing Todd.

Somewhere in here are about thirty threads that have the exact same discussion, only Glenn/Mitch/Matt are asking the questions and Todd/Adam are answering. Ditto the CMC Natl board except there you'll find about fifty! :lol:

And just for the record, you can submit a request for a rule to be re-evaluated at any time. At the end of the year we request suggestions explicitly (and put them all on a list with Pending Rejection status :wink: )

Jeremy Gunter
03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
ok ok, I get it... but I still think it's DUMB!

I'm glad to know that the big mouths of today, were also the big mouths of yesterday...

I can't argue with no, so just keep telling me no, and let me whine and cry about it like I did when I was 2.... :cry: :evil:

Todd Covini
03-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Jeremy,
Let me take a stab at explaining it a bit as well. We all entered this sport at various stages of our "Motorsports" passion. Some already monster Camaros...some had motorcycles...some had 10 sec. drag cars...some had Hertz Malibus...but whatever the case...a light went on with each of us which said "holy cow....you mean "I" can go road racing? I can do this!!!"

Over the years I've come across non-car types who don't know how to turn a wrench, but would love to come racing. (Not everyone works on cars....but everyone can race.) They can do this.

The entry level hurdle (& perception) to come roadracing is extremely low when the prep and appearance of the car is basically "stock". (i.e.- nothing required) Most gearheads chuckle and say "heck, my street car has more mods than that!" The response is simple, "great...sell your mods, make some money and come racing. It's that easy."

Lastly, it's really not the case of "who the big mouths are this year", however, there is a natural tendency once folks get into the series to want to mod this, change that, upgrade here. It's inherent and in our blood to want to improve...and quite frankly, the slippery slope that most all racing organizations go down. We tend to forget the day that the light went on and the entry level hurdle was low. Before you know it, there are 7 people racing in the series with uber-doller mods and wondering why no-one wants to come play with them...heck...everyone agreed that the modification changes made sense!?!?!?!

So...not picking on you, just pointing out that CMC has been successful because of the minimal changes from stock approach. It's a great anchor point to keep coming back to.

-=- T

PS- Valve covers are just one example, and I can assure you that there haven't been too many DQ's over valve covers. It's the principle we're after...not the valve covers.

jeffburch
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
what about chrome oem covers?
My ratty ass rusted steel ones are getting replaced with these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120229348172&rd=1

I won them this morning.

Seriously!!!!!

jb

Todd Covini
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Fine by me...but I'm not your series director any longer. :lol:
Seriously, those are likely fine. We haven't been too harsh on "valve cover compliance" and for the most part if it's OEM or near OEM it's been fine. (But I'll let your Series Directors make that ruling.) 8)

jeffburch
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Cool thanks, that was easy.
So how about these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150220510215&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

The guy selling doesn't know they're actually magnesium.
GM OEM though.

jb

GlennCMC70
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Cool thanks, that was easy.
So how about these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150220510215&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

The guy selling doesn't know they're actually magnesium.
GM OEM though.

jb
OEM GM Corvette? not OEM Camaro. i would like to get a set of OEM LT4 plastic valve covers, but they are not legal. not sure why $1 worth of black paint from a $5 can of paint wont fix the rust problem.

OEM referes to the OEM parts on approved legal cars for CMC/2, not just OEM.

AI#97
03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
OEM referes to the OEM parts on approved legal cars for CMC/2, not just OEM.

Wouldn't it be cool if OEM in CMC meant the same as "OEM" in AI?! LOL! :roll:

jeffburch
03-04-2008, 09:38 PM
lasts about a season.
Powdercoat or chrome.
Your windshield clips and various other items tell me you understand some amount of auto-vanity.
I haven't shaved since Sat or cut my hair in 6 mo but I can't have ugly valve covers.

jb

Todd Covini
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
umm...guys...we're not talking about "willful destruction of vehicle" any longer. This is starting to sound more like "automotive vanity and the gentrification of vehicles". :lol:

GlennCMC70
03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
change paint. i painted mine in 2004. havent touched them sence.
Duplicolor 500 degree simi-gloss.
not sure why you like my windshield clips so much. i can make you a set.

jeffburch
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Tried it.
Oh well.

jb

GlennCMC70
03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
i have no issue w/ the chrome ones. as long as they are like for like w/ the ones on your car now. the finish is not an issue at all. but the magnesium ones aint gonna fly.

Jeremy Gunter
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Todd,
Thanks for that explanation... I do understand the reasoning behind CMC... and thats why I am racing it and not AI series... I'm not really trying to cause a fuss, I have just had a few conversations with matt about the valve covers... I know there is an issue with the covers, and a possible fix, which requires a few bucks in rivets... Cheap, but I don't know that I trust it... thats where new valve covers come in... so "IF" I actually get the car to race ready this season, prior to a beg and plea for a rules change on these specific covers, which I know will never happen, I will run the fix matt has suggested, that being said....

Glen,
Can I fix my valve covers? by cutting off the baffle that caused matts issue, drill out the holes, and place rivets in these holes? they would not be "stock"....

JB grats on the new valve covers :P
have you really not shaved since sat? if not, you should... it's not good for your personal appearance or for first impressions... :wink:

Jeremy Gunter
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
i have no issue w/ the chrome ones. as long as they are like for like w/ the ones on your car now. the finish is not an issue at all. but the magnesium ones aint gonna fly.
then can I get mine in a metal finish? :oops:

On topic, Radiator, overflow and Harmonic Balancer came in this evening... Bought a new Pressure Line for the Power Steering/Hydroboost tonight, installed it and the Balancer...
Left to do: Install radiator and overflow, Install Michaels Passenger seat, button up wires under dash, get tires mounted on wheels, wheels on car, H-pipe back in, front windshield replaced, fluids filled and starter installed... VROOOMMMMM....

BTW I got a code violation from the city of Rowlett for a "JUNK CAR"... he has no idea!!!!!!!!

GlennCMC70
03-04-2008, 10:22 PM
i dont get a warm fuzzy w/ the rivets. use them if you want.....but....
most rivets are of the "pop" type. meaning they have a stem that breaks off once a certain amount of force is applied to them. that broken off stem remains inside the rivet and can fall off into the motor. aside from the stem falling in the motor, it then leaves the center of the rivet w/ a hole in it allowing oil to spray out.

i would find a nice quality #10x32 bolt and a interference fit nut (jet nuts) and drill a hole (or 2) and bolt it in place. or i would go ahead and break it out and use a nice high grade epoxy to glue it.
could you possibly run w/out the baffle?

GlennCMC70
03-04-2008, 10:24 PM

then can I get mine in a metal finish? :oops:

sure, lots of paint companys make "Stainless Steel" and "Cast Iron" colors. :P

Jeremy Gunter
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
maybe cutting out the baffle wasn't part of the fix, I could be making stuff up in my own head...

ShadowBolt
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
i dont get a warm fuzzy w/ the rivets. use them if you want.....but....
most rivets are of the "pop" type. meaning they have a stem that breaks off once a certain amount of force is applied to them. that broken off stem remains inside the rivet and can fall off into the motor. aside from the stem falling in the motor, it then leaves the center of the rivet w/ a hole in it allowing oil to spray out.

i would find a nice quality #10x32 bolt and a interference fit nut (jet nuts) and drill a hole (or 2) and bolt it in place. or i would go ahead and break it out and use a nice high grade epoxy to glue it.

Use a closed end rivet and the mandel can't come out and no oil will leak out either. Use the correct rivet for the job and it will work perfect.

JJ

jeffburch
03-05-2008, 06:55 AM
JB grats on the new valve covers :P
have you really not shaved since sat? if not, you should... it's not good for your personal appearance or for first impressions... :wink:

I've been chasing Billary and Osama around lately.
Just trying to blend in. :wink:
jb

Rsmith350
03-05-2008, 10:58 AM
SO.......ummmm.....wow. Just for informational purposes....my Canton pan showed up today. I have valve covers....and they're stock......and pretty :shock: (according to the girlfriend) Friday is the next car work day. So updates will be coming soon. I will be at Cresson...plans changed. Anyone have a trailer I can sleep in? looking in to getting a Solstice. i just can't bring myself to run a V6 Mustang even if it is a rental. my Grandfather would turn over in his grave :lol:

GlennCMC70
03-05-2008, 12:31 PM
take that Canton pan and spray brake cleaner inside it and look for leaks. lots of folks have had leaks in thier new pans.

AI#97
03-05-2008, 12:47 PM

nope, it will suck raw oil into the intake by the quart.

the bolt and lock nut idea works except you can't get to the nut. I would rivet it, drive the mandrel out and then seal the inner part of the rivet.

J, we can look at it this weekend.

michaelmosty
03-05-2008, 02:40 PM
i just can't bring myself to run a V6 Mustang even if it is a rental. my Grandfather would turn over in his grave :lol:
The 2005+ v6 Mustangs will suprise the heck out of you. I have driven a couple as rental cars for work and they feel great (and have close to CMC power). I'm sure you have heard Matt's stories from TWS!!
Or just get another 4-cyl. Maliboo. :D

AI#97
03-05-2008, 03:05 PM
i just can't bring myself to run a V6 Mustang even if it is a rental. my Grandfather would turn over in his grave :lol:
I'm sure you have heard Matt's stories from TWS!!
Or just get another 4-cyl. Maliboo. :D

ah, he's a typical camaro driver...would rather look cool than be fast! :wink: :lol:

An S197 stang with a V6 and Toyos can flat out embarass a lot of BMW's, vettes and Cobras on track....with a good driver behind the wheel! Still never figured out why the gas mileage was 30% better with the OD off though?! :oops:

AllZWay
03-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Proctor good to see you back up and running!!

Thanks... and to keep this thread off topic. :lol:

I only like decal installation and a new windshield. The decals will be this weekend and the windshield early next week.

Dad hauled it to the alignment shop for me today and all is well once again.

Adam Ginsberg
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Not to drag this any further off topic into a full blown rules discussion...but.....these valve covers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Ford-Motorsport-Polished-Aluminum-Valve-Covers-302_W0QQitemZ120229705748QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 20229705748

Have been approved in the past by the CMC National director, and they've never been offered by Ford on a factory car.

http://www.duq.edu/facultyhome/fredbortz/KidSciBooks/lindar.jpeg

I'm all.....vahklempt.

jeffburch
03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Cool!
Will those fit on my hooptie?

jb

GlennCMC70
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Adam - i have sent off an email to most of the National and regional directors asking to have this clarified. if it has been allowed in the past, then look for a possible mid year rules update and a write in for the 2009 CMC rules.

as a side note, i'm all for allowing this type stuff w/ a few limitations. this does not mean i'll allow in any way that the rules not be enforced. we must stay aligned on a National level to prevent what we saw at the 1st NASA Nationals (2006) repeating itself each and every year.

michaelmosty
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM
[quote=Rsmith350]Dad hauled it to the alignment shop for me today and all is well once again.
Great to hear James!!! I look forward to seeing her again on track at Cresson.
Hopefully this time I won't be staring at the back of your car the whole race. 8)

Jeremy Gunter
03-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Can't wait to see ya there James...

Rsmith350
03-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Wow!!!! those look alot like these>>>

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0050-2.jpg

Too bad those have the that ugly oval on them :shock:

ah, he's a typical camaro driver...would rather look cool than be fast! Wink Laughing

So Matt what's your excuse? :lol: ok that was a joke...don't kill me

I know what it is..... you AI guys are just tired of seeing that shiny silver Camaro running up on your butts.....that in theory..........shouldn't be there. :wink: :o

I hope to be that bowtie getting REAL big REAL fast in your rear view mirror :!: :shock:

AI#97
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
I know what it is..... you AI guys are just tired of seeing that shiny silver Camaro running up on your butts.....that in theory..........shouldn't be there. :wink: :o

I hope to be that bowtie getting REAL big REAL fast in your rear view mirror :!: :shock:

I haven't used the rear view mirror in my car in nearly 3 years but pretty sure there hasn't been a camaro in for more than few brief seconds on the inverted starts... :twisted:

However, if there is one AND gaining, I will get out of the way quick as I will assume it's a major brake failure! ;)

Rsmith350
03-06-2008, 12:37 PM
LOL that was good! Wait a minute......do I smell gas? :shock:

AI#97
03-06-2008, 06:56 PM
LOL that was good! Wait a minute......do I smell gas? :shock:

Nah, just cheap autozone parts... :evil: problem has been resolved, but I still have problems getting gas INTO the tank...it will come out faster than it goes in!!!! :lol:

Rsmith350
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Ok so back on thread....motor and tranny will go in tomorrow with new u-joints. If I have time will do some body work with my new "super bondo" compliments of AL (thanks AL...good stuff) Maybe able to get at least one coat of primer on it before I drop dead of exhaustion. The list of things accomplished will probably be smaller but always wanna set high goals. Update to follow tomorrow night.

BryanL
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I agree on the v6 mustang. Last year Ali had one at TWS and put some of his tires/wheels on it and I was very impressed. I wouldn't hesitate to run one on the track as a rental. Has to be tons better than the malibu.

Ross I will have my enclosed at Cresson if you need a place.

Good luck with the car this weekend.

Bryan

Rsmith350
03-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks I'll probably take you up on that....let me know about getting your tires. have tomorrow off so I could go pick'em up. Phone number is 832-887-9415

Rsmith350
03-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Well i didn't do crap to the car today :x .....went and got the wheels for BrianL...they look sweet! Got back to the shop and realized after I got the motor all hoisted up on the picker that with all the excitement of getting all this crap together I forgot to get new MOTOR MOUNTS!!! :shock: IDIOT!!! :evil: So I hoofed it down to oreill'ys and (shocker!) they didn't have the poly ones I wanted. So I have new poly tranny and motor mounts on order and will be here tomorrow. So I sat around for the rest of the day and helped My friend finish up the L98 swap into his 95 Chevy pickup. After the car is finished my truck is getting and LT1....period! Then the girl friend called and she just found out she got the job at Texas Children's she wanted so badly, so of course there went the rest of the day So yeah. gotta work tomorrow but will be back at it on Sunday. updates to come.....

Jeremy Gunter
03-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Ha! Tell the Devil congrats! Don't worry bro, you will get some stuff done before too long...

Alright, so if I haven't forgotten everything, and michael isn't too wasted tomorrow morning, then the party starts at my house at around 10am... Got all the parts to make her run, and trackable... I think! Finished the starter install, Bolted up the exhaust, and got the 02 sensors in tonight... still have to finish the radiator, seat, and some other crap, but hopefully she will be started up tomorrow sometime...

I must say, without the help of Matt White and Michael Mosty... I would not have been able to get this far, this fast... These two guys are class acts... as long as you give them point bys... They have spent day in and day out, answering my questions, coming over and wrenching, and answering my phone calls... I have said thank you to them 1 too many times, but I would like to say it here publicly... I appreciate everything you guys have done... I owe you both!

Al Fernandez
03-08-2008, 09:17 AM
se a closed end rivet and the mandel can't come out and no oil will leak out either

Wow, I didnt even know such a thing existed. Nice!

michaelmosty
03-08-2008, 10:33 AM
and michael isn't too wasted tomorrow morning,

I'm awake already, and not even that hung-over. :D

ShadowBolt
03-08-2008, 10:53 AM
se a closed end rivet and the mandel can't come out and no oil will leak out either

Wow, I didnt even know such a thing existed. Nice!

There are many different type of rivets that will do things most people know nothing about. We purchase several million rivets per year. If someone needs a few closed end Pop style rivets just let me know the grip range and I will see if we have any. Most of the rivets we buy (at the quantities we purchase) are less than $.05 each. Here is a link to a closed end rivet.

http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/closed.asp

JJ

GlennCMC70
03-08-2008, 11:04 AM
i've still seen the mandrel come of those types.

how about these?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cherryqrivet.php

ShadowBolt
03-08-2008, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure I'm buying that but even if so it damn sure can't come out of the closed end and that would keep it from getting info your motor assuming they were installed from the correct side of the valve cover. I've never see what your trying to do so maybe both ends are inside the cover?

JJ

marshall_mosty
03-08-2008, 03:40 PM

how about these?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/cherryqrivet.php

Glenn,
We order literally millions of BSPQ rivets every year. Most are .125", so if you guys can let me know the grip ranges you need and I'll get some next week.

We use BSPQ-42 (1/8" grip) and BSPQ-44 (1/4" grip) most frequently.

Sometimes working at a manufacturing facility that supports the commercial aviation industry has its perks. 8)

GlennCMC70
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
well perk a random selection of those suckers over here.

i have a very limited supply of countersink 1/16" stuff from the service. but i commonly use 1/8 (.125") and 3/16 (.???") on most of what i do.

edited due to total tardness. :roll:

jeffburch
03-08-2008, 05:45 PM
well perk a random rang of those suckers over here. Todd??????

jb

Todd Covini
03-08-2008, 06:29 PM
well perk a random rang of those suckers over here. Todd??????

jb

http://www.curiology.com/images/paintings/small/whatever.jpg

marshall_mosty
03-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I'll grab some BSPQ-42 aluminum mandrel, self plugging, prodruding head in 1/8" dia, 1/8" grip range for ya.

Rsmith350
03-10-2008, 08:22 PM
update: Today........i kicked it really hard......and my foot hurts :shock:

Jeremy Gunter
03-10-2008, 10:32 PM
LMAO ROSS! :lol:

Well Katrina is ready for her first track day... All that is left is to replace the front windshield, and button up the radiator dam... I don't have any money to do anything else at the moment... and try to find a trailer if possible...

Spent about 30 min getting the tint off the rear window tonight... I called a local tint shop I have been doing business with since high school, and they gave me the magic secret... Glenn, listen up so your 100% legal this year, its called STEAM!!! thats right, put that scunci to good work... just steam the inside of the window and it comes right off with a razor blade... well, it's still messy, but it comes off in strips, instead of pieces!!! I then came back with Stoner's invisible glass and a scotch brite to clean off the rest of the adhesive... then one final wipe down...
Now I can see behind me to give all those point-bys!

Ross, I will be thinking about you this weekend, and probably calling you as well... sucks your not going to be there, but there is always the next event... make sure you don't loose that job... "the word of the day is, job, J.. O.. B.. gunna go out and find yoself a job today craig!"

GlennCMC70
03-10-2008, 10:47 PM
but that has to stay as a "gimmy". once the tech finds something, they feel as though thier job is justified and moves on.

how dare you say my car is illegal. :roll:

Jeremy Gunter
03-11-2008, 06:20 AM
easy Glenn, I never said your car was illegal...

GlennCMC70
03-11-2008, 07:40 AM
easy Glenn, I never said your car was illegal..

really?

... Glenn, listen up so your 100% legal this year, .......

watch your back son. even in HPDE. i may need to go out and "bed brakes" ........ :shock:

Fbody383
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM

I put the seat in this weekend... 8)

Rsmith350
03-11-2008, 10:40 AM

I put the seat in this weekend... 8)

go ahead....rub it in :lol:

Fbody383
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
You can always come by and look at it... and kick it too, if it will make you feel better.

Rsmith350
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I'll pass....foot still hurts from the last one :lol: you gonna be at Cresson? Have fun if you are!

Fbody383
03-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I'll pass....foot still hurts from the last one :lol: you gonna be at Cresson? Have fun if you are!

No... I talked a bunch of smack at Houston forgetting I had a surprise birthday party to go to... in NEW YORK CITY!

I've got to get the silly thing together for April - I bailed on the MS150 and the Grand Prix was cancelled.

Did I mention that Tony George is a tool?

Rsmith350
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
NEW YORK CITY!!!!.............Get a rope! :shock:

Have fun sir! we'll get our hoopties running soon enough. 8)

Todd Covini
03-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Driving your very own race car on your very own racetrack that you've "rented" for the weekend..and then having beers and telling tall tales about at every nite....is far better than any NYC birthday party, Houston Grand Prix or other plans. Sorry...that's just a fact and only those that have done it could ever relate. :lol:

Cinch it up!!! :wink:

-=- Todd

Todd Covini
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
PS- Is this the longest thread ever on AICMCTEXAS.COM????

Jeremy Gunter
03-12-2008, 12:11 AM
watch your back son. even in HPDE. i may need to go out and "bed brakes" ........ :shock:

I was totally going off what you said at houston 2007, something to the effect that the tint was illegal or could be construed as such, per the rules saying must appear stock, OEM parts, or something like that... and factory tint is not an option on your make/model... now that being said, my intent was not to harass you about something insignificant like tint, or your car's legality, but to simply point out the easiest way I have found to remove tint...

It all started with a broken razorblade, me cursing the blade, and thinking, these guys may want to know about my new found discovery... ohh yeah Glenn was saying something about his tint not being legal per the CMC rules... I should throw a punch line in there when I tell these guys about my results....

my visibility from behind is superb (no rear tint), my car is slow, and my experience includes a G6, and "THE bu", at Houston for 8 sessions... I hope those new brakes work...

GlennCMC70
03-12-2008, 07:52 AM

I was totally going off what you said at houston 2007, something to the effect that the tint was illegal or could be construed as such, per the rules saying must appear stock, OEM parts, or something like that... and factory tint is not an option on your make/model... now that being said, my intent was not to harass you about something insignificant like tint, or your car's legality, but to simply point out the easiest way I have found to remove tint...

It all started with a broken razorblade, me cursing the blade, and thinking, these guys may want to know about my new found discovery... ohh yeah Glenn was saying something about his tint not being legal per the CMC rules... I should throw a punch line in there when I tell these guys about my results....

my visibility from behind is superb (no rear tint), my car is slow, and my experience includes a G6, and "THE bu", at Houston for 8 sessions... I hope those new brakes work...

nice waffle. very Ford like. bring a razor blade and a source of steam.

Fbody383
03-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Cinch it up!!! :wink:

<<< yawn... >>>

Huh? what? Oh, racing... yeah, I still gotta get the car together (sounds familiar). Besides, look at the banquet karting results, I'm likely to be an AI vortex induced rolling slalom.

Should I be extra nice to the director to not delay my licensing or:

If you shop right, you might not have to settle for the party line internet in Beaumont...

AllZWay
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM

With quality post like this one.... it is probably going to be. :lol:

Rsmith350
03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Just to give this thread some semblence of what it started out to be........I haven't done jack on the car since the kicking incident :shock: Foot feels good enough to abuse the every living crap out of a rental "mudstain" though. :twisted: MAN I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

michaelmosty
03-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Foot feels good enough to abuse the every living crap out of a rental "mudstain" though. :twisted: MAN I CAN'T WAIT!!!!Are you talking about your underwear? :shock:

I know, inappropriate, but I couldn't resist. :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Foot feels good enough to abuse the every living crap out of a rental "mudstain" though. :twisted: MAN I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I don't care what manufacturer you abuse, just glad you will be there to abuse one... :D

nice waffle. very Ford like. bring a razor blade and a source of steam.

maybe it's because I am a new guy around here, or maybe it's because I was never in the military... but I don't know the definition of waffle, please explain...

as far as the razorblade and steam, I don't know that I will have room in my truck for these... I will check it out and let you know...

Rsmith350
03-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Are you talking about your underwear? :shock:

I know, inappropriate, but I couldn't resist. :lol:

I don't know about you Ford boys but we don't rent our underwear :shock: I guess that's from having to save money to fix your vehicles :lol:

Totally appropriate, and I couldn't resist. :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
03-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I guess that's from having to save money to fix your vehicles Laughing
this coming from the guy who is renting a mustang, BECAUSE, his chevy broke down... :lol:

RichardP
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM

Nope, not yet. This thread is still longer: http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1354. But it's locked so this one still has a chance.

Don't worry, I'm looking for a way to ignite this into a locked thread... :lol:

Richard P.

jeffburch
03-12-2008, 07:03 PM
I know of several ways.
I think JJ does as well. :P

jb

cobra132
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I can generally shut down a thread simply by making a post. Although, this one does seem to have a life of its own. Anyway, back on topic http://www.clipaday.com/videos/micro-car-destruction FMR

Rsmith350
03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I guess that's from having to save money to fix your vehicles Laughing
this coming from the guy who is renting a mustang, BECAUSE, his chevy broke down... :lol:

after 178,000 miles of trouble free operation in my maniacle hands I might add :shock:

Rsmith350
03-12-2008, 08:01 PM
awwww....you guys are gonna shut down my thread??? Where's the CCR for the forums? I wanna protest :!: :lol: It will be my first (of many to come!!) records in CMC! Do you wanna deny an HPDE'er his only chance of bragging rights at the moment?

I'm renting satan's mustang just to come race...........any points earned there for a die hard chevy guy :?: :!:

Rsmith350
03-12-2008, 08:10 PM
By the way I just found out I can get Optima batteries cheap through my Interstate guy....think they're like $100 my cost. Oreilly's has them for $160

Todd Covini
03-12-2008, 08:21 PM

Richard P.

Well...you're already on your way and the matches have been lit!!! :roll:

GlennCMC70
03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
By the way I just found out I can get Optima batteries cheap through my Interstate guy....think they're like $100 my cost. Oreilly's has them for $160

you now have many more buddy points than that window tint hall monitor we have here.

Todd Covini
03-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Speaking of window tint and buddy points....anyone hear if Nick & Ginny will be at this event!?!?!?!

-=- T

Jeremy Gunter
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
you now have many more buddy points than that window tint hall monitor we have here.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GlennCMC70
03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Speaking of window tint and buddy points....anyone hear if Nick & Ginny will be at this event!?!?!?!

-=- T

yes they will, but not in the new CMC car. its just not done yet.

AI#97
03-12-2008, 11:04 PM

Richard P.

Well...you're already on your way and the matches have been lit!!! :roll:

I bet I could lock this sucker down in 3 posts or less! :twisted:

Rsmith350
03-13-2008, 12:10 AM

That's hilarious!

I bet I could lock this sucker down in 3 posts or less! Twisted Evil

So am i gonna have to start another thread just to keep updates on my car progress?[/quote]

Jeremy Gunter
03-13-2008, 05:09 AM
So am i gonna have to start another thread just to keep updates on my car progress?

well if you would stop slacking off Rosco, and do some work on your car... "YOUR" thread wouldn't get out of hand! :shock: PWNT
:wink:
is the devil coming this weekend :?:

michaelmosty
03-13-2008, 08:10 AM

you now have many more buddy points than that window tint hall monitor we have here.NICE :lol:

ShadowBolt
03-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I know of several ways.
I think JJ does as well. :P

jb

Yep.

JJ

Rsmith350
03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Nope the Devil has studying to do as usual. She has her exit exam next week and is having an anuerism over the fact that she has no time. Plus she started her rotations last week and she's working 12 hour shifts. She says hello and is super bummed she can't come out.

Fbody383
03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
well if you would stop slacking off Rosco, and do some work on your car... "YOUR" thread wouldn't get out of hand! :shock:

I drove over to Ross' house and kicked him for ya... It didn't get the car further along, but it made me feel better.

Jeremy Gunter
03-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I drove over to Ross' house and kicked him for ya... It didn't get the car further along, but it made me feel better.

Thanks, he needs a swift kick in the... occasionally...

Rosco, I know you are doing what you can... as am I... I hope I can get some sleep tonight!

Todd Covini
03-24-2008, 09:04 PM
I stopped by Ross's place today to see how his car is coming along and give him a kick. Seemed like he's still got a ways to go. :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.stillruns.com/dayatthejunkyard/camaro.jpg

Wirtz
03-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Todd!! Your giving away the secret. It's when a Camaro loves a Firebird, then later a little CMC car is born.

Jeff
- PS; after reading all your posts, and seeing how all of them have some funky picture attached, I think you are truely Masterz of the Internetz.

Rsmith350
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Todd that is the funniest thing I have seen in awhile!!! I lost it when I saw that picture! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

update to come this evening!! Gotta go work on the bucket. :roll:

P.S. and according to Wirtz I need to go find some Firebird slut for my Camaro :shock:

GlennCMC70
03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Todd, which car is his?

Ross, remember the blood sacrafice. give it willingly or it wil take it forcefully. :shock:

mitchntx
03-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Oh so that is what is meant when "lift the hood and drive a fast one underneath it." Everyone knows that Pontiacs are faster than Chevys

And yeah, Todd ... where'd you get that crazy idea to post pics that illustrate your comments? Nice, original idea ... :roll:

Rsmith350
03-25-2008, 08:26 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

the car has already taken it's sacrifice forcefully :shock: .......a couple of times :lol:

....oh you mean the blue oval sacrifice, sorry, what was I thinking :roll: Don't know how I'm going to get a hold of jeremy's car for long enough though :wink:

AI#97
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
I stopped by Ross's place today to see how his car is coming along and give him a kick. Seemed like he's still got a ways to go. :shock: :shock: :shock:

And how far along are YOU mr. todd?!

Fbody383
03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
And a rollcage soon? Liar! (http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1868)

I'm gonna have to get busy.

Todd Covini
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM

...after hitting the send button, I figured I'd probably get that question. :oops: :oops: :oops:

AI#97
03-25-2008, 02:04 PM

...after hitting the send button, I figured I'd probably get that question. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I say you donate your heap of parts to the TX AI/CMC group for us to work on in the evenings at the events...eventually we will get it running then we can go out beat the snot out of it as practice until you find time to get back in the driver's seat! Gets the car back together and gives me a chance to go drive a CMC car on the cheap! ;) :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.stillruns.com/dayatthejunkyard/camaro.jpg
after cresson my mudstang took a good "GM" and produced a pile similar to this one...

Jeremy Gunter
03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
after stripping out the steering wheel removal threads, Michael said to spray some WD40 on the shaft.. so I did... next day I called Matt trying to figure out how in the hell I was going to rethread the holes to get the damn thing off... after looking at it for about 10 min, I pulled on it and it fell in my lap... :oops:
Got all the locks out of the steering column so it's an easy turn key...
Now to get a steering shaft extender and weld it all together... get the 4 point roll cage in, get all the sound deading crap off the inside... the new gas and clutch covers on... 5 point harness and seat brace... I should be ready for TWS...

Ross how'd you do today?

Rsmith350
03-26-2008, 02:54 PM
haven't had a second to my self to post any of the new updates. Had to sneak this post in at work. Will get on tonight and post all the new pics and new problems that i have uncovered. Things are moving along but slowly. I am determined to do this right the first time and have a first rate car. research has taken alot of wrench time away but it all has to happen. :x

y5e06
03-26-2008, 03:17 PM
I am determined to do this right the first time and have a first rate car. research has taken alot of wrench time away but it all has to happen. :x

In the end you'll be much happier you did it this way. Having a well built car you've done yourself, the right way, is very gratifying. ... not to mention you'll know its quirks and what details to deal w/ when it breaks (oh, what am I saying? its a GM. It won't break. that is left up to the mustangs :lol: )

AllZWay
03-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I am determined to do this right the first time and have a first rate car. research has taken alot of wrench time away but it all has to happen. :x

In the end you'll be much happier you did it this way. Having a well built car you've done yourself, the right way, is very gratifying. ... not to mention you'll know its quirks and what details to deal w/ when it breaks (oh, what am I saying? its a GM. It won't break. that is left up to the mustangs :lol: )

I agree with Morgan.... once that thing hits the track, it really is a good feeling and you do know every bolt on the car by that time.

I think I wore Glenn, Mitch and Morgan out with questions, pictures and researching different things while I was building my car. There are some great resources on this board and over at FFrax.

mitchntx
03-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I think I wore Glenn, Mitch and Morgan out with questions, pictures and researching different things while I was building my car. There are some great resources onthis board and over at FFrax.

I know you wore me to a bloody nub the weekend we did your cage ...

jeffburch
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Uh oh. :roll:
Todd!?

Somebody quote the above statement. I can't do it.

jb

AI#97
03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
I think I wore Glenn, Mitch and Morgan out with questions, pictures and researching different things while I was building my car. There are some great resources onthis board and over at FFrax.

I know you wore me to a bloody nub the weekend we did your cage ...

Was Glenn around for a Gleesome Threesome or was it just a Gruesome Twosome?! :lol:

mitchntx
03-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Golly-Gee ... feels just like Jr. high! :roll:

8)

Rsmith350
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Ok so here's the next episode of "big piece of crap goes nowhere" :cry:

I haven't done much to it recently cause I am at a standstill as far as purchasing and logistics go cause I'm waiting on info. Cam shaft is posing a real problem so I'm not about to put the motor and tranny in before I get that little jewel.

Have some front fenders on order and have finally found where I want to buy my suspension stuff after searching the internet till my fingers were "bloody nubs" LOL :roll: Looks like roll cage and interior safety stuff is going to be the last to go in, so you guys have a ball discussing that so I can go back and read it later. So there has been no REAL progress besides an end to most of the intense research. Progress will hopefully continue when I get a few phone calls I'm waiting on. In the mean time here is some entertainment pictures so you can SEE how little progress has been made! :shock:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0086.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0090.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0094.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0099.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0100.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m189/rsmith350/Camaro/Race%20car%20progress/101_0102.jpg

So there it is. Anytime spent at the shop will be doing body work, prepping for paint until I can get some info. :cry: Hope you enjoyed this episode.

Any ideas for a paint job? wanna keep it silver and black but open to suggestions.

GlennCMC70
03-27-2008, 08:13 AM
you really need to go ahead and knock that cage out quickly. no cage in the car will stop 90% of the work inside the car.

jeffburch
03-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Nice progress RS.
There are too many silver cars now.

jb

Rsmith350
03-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Don't worry. It will be mostly black.

michaelmosty
03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
You might want to clean it before you paint it. :shock:

Rsmith350
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
HAHAHAHAHA...........................shutup. :wink: I should lose about 30 lbs. when I power spray the whole thing this Sunday......not kidding.

Todd Covini
03-27-2008, 10:36 AM
I think black & silver would be a great color!
What # were you thinking about?
I think #70 is available...that would look too kewl. :D
Get it cleaned & painted....You're da' man!

GlennCMC70
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
try as you may Todd, i'll not pull an AG about my number.
just know this - unlike AG and his #5, i'll be the first #70 across the line.

GlennCMC70
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
i hear #2 is available. the current owner isnt using it.

Todd Covini
03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
:evil:

AI#97
03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
:evil:

Well, he's right! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rsmith350
03-27-2008, 11:11 AM
already got dibs on #86, It's the year of the car and happens to be the year my girlfriend was born. (her idea) I'm gonna do it in the "General Lee" font. in silver. should look real good with the silver top and the rest of the car blacked out!

Rob Liebbe
03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I think we have a very dark blue with silver top 3rd gen and another all black 3rd gen in the crowd.

Just go with the full General Lee scheme.

donovan
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Nice progress RS.
There are too many silver cars now.

jb

Yes, there are too many Silver and Black cars... We have something like 6 of them now...

Uhg, makes me want to re-paint my car...

DD

Fbody383
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
you really need to go ahead and knock that cage out quickly. no cage in the car will stop 90% of the work inside the car.

I only need to bend the drivers side door bars, which I hope to do very soon, and I'll loan you the bender.

I think you should paint the car flat black... maybe use bedliner, that way you won't have to worry about scratches. :wink:

Rsmith350
03-27-2008, 02:24 PM
I swear I've seen a "no primer" rule somewhere

Rob Liebbe
03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Paint it DPS Black and White.

Jeremy Gunter
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I hope your GF doesn't suggest you paint it pink :P

Rsmith350
03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
I was also thinking about a dark metallic green and silverflames but flames are SO last decade :lol:

AI#97
03-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I was also thinking about a dark metallic green and silverflames but flames are SO last decade :lol:

Piss of fucker....that's MY plan. British racing green and silver sort of like a few of the Jag TransAm cars...

Otherwise it's going to be a little different, but BADASS!!! Hope my idea works! 8)

jeffburch
03-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Green is bad joo-joo on racecars.

jb

Rsmith350
03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Green is bad joo-joo on racecars.

jb

Really? that is an urban legend that i"ve heard around Motorcycle circles! Didn't think I'd hear that.

How much flack do you think I'd get for painting the whole thing as a confederate flag :shock: It would be cool to see me and Rob run :lol:

jeffburch
03-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Here in the big city that type of thing may come off as racist.
I have no opinion.
My common sense tells me bad idea.
Would you wear a shirt or hat like that at work?
Bumper sticker on your daily driver?

jb

Jeremy Gunter
03-27-2008, 09:53 PM

YES, yes he would!

but only if it was a farm truck, or he was going fishing!

jeffburch
03-28-2008, 06:27 AM
You two wookies will be notitified later today.
You guys are in charge of the new NASA Texas Diversity Program.
You both must each find a perspective CMC or AI competitor and mentor him/her through the constructing of their car and the entire HPDE and licencing process.

Just kidding,
jb

Rob Liebbe
03-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Also bad juju are "Let's Roll" Army stickers on the car.

Rsmith350
03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
You two wookies will be notitified later today.
You guys are in charge of the new NASA Texas Diversity Program.
You both must each find a perspective CMC or AI competitor and mentor him/her through the constructing of their car and the entire HPDE and licencing process.

Just kidding,
jb

I would do that in a heartbeat! :lol: I'm sure Jeremy would too!

Rsmith350
03-28-2008, 07:39 AM

YES, yes he would!

but only if it was a farm truck, or he was going fishing!

I don't fish....I bow hunt :shock: But that just kinda proves your point huh? :lol:

Rsmith350
03-28-2008, 07:43 AM
OOOOO that's it!!! gonna paint the car in woodland camo!!! or maybe I'll go ghetto and paint it in "urban" camo :shock: :lol:

AI#97
03-28-2008, 07:46 AM
OOOOO that's it!!! gonna paint the car in woodland camo!!! or maybe I'll go ghetto and paint it in "urban" camo :shock: :lol:

Is it a firebird? If so, how about like the plucked chicken in Stroker Ace?! :lol:

Rsmith350
03-28-2008, 07:49 AM

Is it a firebird? If so, how about like the plucked chicken in Stroker Ace?! :lol:

If it was I swear I would go super cheesy and give it the "night rider" treatment! Because "Night Rider" SHOULD be a firebird!!!!! stupid show writers!!

ShadowBolt
03-28-2008, 09:02 AM

Can you get me some of those? It would be worth the bad JUJU.

JJ

AI#97
03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
stupid show writers!!

They weren't THAT stupid! In the first 5 minutes they had a guy waking up from a threesome with two hot chicks, a reasonably hot lesbian side kick who picked up and did a naked hottie, and had a cobra kit car on screen! Not too bad but honestly, that's all I saw of the show! :oops:

David Love AI27
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM

JJ

I have ARMY stickers compliments of Amber's husband Adam.... but they don't say "Lets Roll"... I can bring some to TWS...

ShadowBolt
03-28-2008, 09:03 PM

JJ

I have ARMY stickers compliments of Amber's husband Adam.... but they don't say "Lets Roll"... I can bring some to TWS...

David,
Please bring me two for CMC17.

Thanks,
JJ

macstang
03-29-2008, 08:54 AM
I agree, "lets roll" is not something that needs to be anywhere near a race car. Hindsight 20/20.

I would like some Army stickers too David.

What I would really like is a copy of the 2007 video.

Almost home :D

Al Fernandez
03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Dude, is that your garage with the lift? Very cool.

I'd look to some of the Aussie V8 supercars for inspiration. They have some very cool paint schemes down there. Doing stripes and multiple colors is not a big deal at all relative to what you've already done to get there.

jeffburch
03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
I'd look to some of the Aussie V8 supercars for inspiration. They have some very cool paint schemes down there. Doing stripes and multiple colors is not a big deal at all relative to what you've already done to get there.

This is what I did!
Got into my racing games that feature the AV8's and did screen caps.
Emailed them to Boudy and the rest is history.
jb

Alien
03-31-2008, 11:27 AM
I think we have a very dark blue with silver top 3rd gen ... in the crowd.

Paint it DPS Black and White.

British racing green and silver sort of like a few of the Jag TransAm cars...

Hey, that BE my idea!!!

Two-tone a la DPS cars (Most of the parts are from a B4C)
Inverted stripes a la the Jag TA cars
Navy Blue Metallic cause it looks soo good on C5's
(Sebring) Silver retained from the cars original GFX color

Rsmith350
04-04-2008, 11:23 AM
UPDATE: beep beep beep budeep beep beep

Paint job figured out due to suggestions from JB and others and thanks to "need for speed: Black edition" great customization options!!!

new doors and back glass due to NO TINT!! SO I"LL BE %100 LEGAL!!! :shock: :roll: <--------beating dead horse. And all of it was $20.....why not. Found my cam that I needed, so motor assembly and finish work can commence (Found it brand new in the box from Chevy....HOLY CRAP)

Other than that...alot of work needs to be done.

Fbody383
04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
UPDATE: beep beep beep budeep beep beep
Brrrdeepbeeepdeeppbrrrbbbb.... shorthand.

Give me a ring when you want to borrow the tubing bender. Today is my last day at Job A and I'm taking a week off before starting Job B. Gotta get those driver door bars bent and put the car back together.

I'm starting to lose my hair over getting a car on track... wait, that's somebody else.

You didn't see any tint on the car, did you?

Rsmith350
04-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Well in my defense I only saw a few "pieces" of the car, so I would do a thorough "once over"! Don't wanna end up like Glenn! :shock:
(Just kidding Glenn, I know the joke is REALLY old)

But seriously...you need to come over to the shop so you can see the lack of progress :oops: give me a shout.

jeffburch
04-04-2008, 07:35 PM
LOL!

Bald heads
Scar heads
window tint
wheels falling off
warm up lap spins
lots of spins
hand jestures
starts standing
Duke jumps
hood pins
(I'm sure I've left someone out)

It's all just love.

jb

Rsmith350
04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
773 cam just showed up (in the original GM packaging) It's a beautiful thing! :D

Todd Covini
04-07-2008, 05:34 PM
773 sure seems like a ton of lift for a stock cam. :oops:

Rsmith350
04-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh I didn't say this for my TOP FUEL DRAGSTER!!!! It's part of the part number Todd. I wouldn't expect a blue oval guy to know such things....so you're forgiven :lol: When is your car gonna be ready? :oops: So you probably get a real good view of people passing you from a convertible huh?
Just kidding buddy. At least yours has SEEN a track :shock:

AI#97
04-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Oh I didn't say this for my TOP FUEL DRAGSTER!!!! It's part of the part number Todd. I wouldn't expect a blue oval guy to know such things....so you're forgiven :lol: When is your car gonna be ready? :oops: So you probably get a real good view of people passing you from a convertible huh?
Just kidding buddy. At least yours has SEEN a track :shock:

Actually, top fuel valve lift is barely .500" Can't go much more due to the valve angles interfering with each other on the Hemi heads... heard that fact about a week ago and was amazed.

GlennCMC70
04-07-2008, 08:27 PM
but i bet the .050" lift durration numbers are close to 320-340 degrees! :shock:

Fbody383
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
But seriously...you need to come over to the shop so you can see the lack of progress :oops: give me a shout.

pssst.... done with the bender for a while, I hope. I'll give you a ring; I want to come see the car and how far along you are. May be my only time to fininsh ahead of you. :D