PDA

View Full Version : ITE Camaro - AI or AIX?

mitchntx
02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
A driver is considering attending Hallett in June.

He competes in SCCA ITE. Where would that put him?

AI#97
02-19-2008, 11:34 AM
A driver is considering attending Hallett in June.

He competes in SCCA ITE. Where would that put him?

Got any details on the ITE class or how the car is prepared? My guess would be AI depending on his power output.

Hell, let him race AI and see what he can do!

Wirtz
02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Your on the right track. I have been trying to get the lcoal SCCA to put a true CMC car into ITE. The rule set and intent is almost the exact same. IT cars can run headers, most likely the biggest issue so AI would be safe.

Jeff

mitchntx
02-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Adam, what NASA hoops would he have to jump through to race?

Alien
02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought ITE didn't allow 'big' displacement cars anymore? Out of curiosity, what is keeping a CMC car out of ITE?

Todd Covini
02-19-2008, 07:29 PM
I had heard it was a regional thing only...other SCCA regions would allow big bore ITE cars. But who cares...we're NASA!!! :lol:

Todd Covini
02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Adam, what NASA hoops would he have to jump through to race?

If he currently races in SCCA then he has a license.
He'd have to go the the NASA registration hoop and provide evidence of a valid SCCA license.

-=- Todd

PS- If he doesn't have an SCCA license, then he'll need to go thru Ginsberg hoops. :wink:

Wirtz
02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
I thought ITE didn't allow 'big' displacement cars anymore? Out of curiosity, what is keeping a CMC car out of ITE?

Ya, that limit is more or less a southwest div SCCA thing only. Most regions I have looked in to allow CMC to run ITE. But SW Div has a 3 liter limit for some reason. I asked for them to look at changing this, but for some reason nothing happened this year.

Reason why I care is I intent to keep my SCCA license current, and I would like to run the November enduro. ITE cars are allowed for the enduro, but SP (the closest equavalent for AI or AIX) are not allowed to run the enduros.

Jeff

Al Fernandez
02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I know of several ITE 4th gens on the west coast that would have to go to AIX due to power levels. Otherwise the car will most likely be fine rules wise.

dirwin
02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
When SCCA moved our Factory Fives out of ITE into SP years ago it was because we were killing the BMW's and oh my, in the Southwest region of SCCA you never ever ever ever snub a BMW with your big mean and nasty (possible sex offender) V-8.

Todd Covini
02-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Welcome to American Iron, David!!! :lol:

Rob Liebbe
02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Wirtz,

If I remember correctly, SCCA ITE requires a fuel cell. Can anyone confirm this?

Todd Covini
02-20-2008, 10:24 PM
You guys peaked my interest.
I quick google search revealed this (for the Southeast region):
++++++++++
ITO
Established as a SEDiv Class beginning for the 2008 race season, July 2007
Purpose and Intent
Also know as ITE in many parts of the country, this class will allow cars that are not
currently listed, allowed, or otherwise exceed the IT class preparation rules in the General
Competition Rules. Entrants will not be guaranteed the competitiveness of any car.
Automobiles:
1. All cars shall meet or exceed current safety standards in the Improved Touring
Category Specifications of the General Competition Rules. The GCR and IT
specifications shall apply where not specifically stated
2. Fuel cells, weld in roll cages, fire systems, and NASCAR style door bars are
recommended
3. All cars shall run on DOT. approved tires unless otherwise using a spec tire for
their particular touring type series
4. Unless otherwise classified, vehicles with normally aspirated engines greater than
3000 cc will compete in IT0 (rotary engines will use a 2.0 multiplication factor).
Tube frame race cars are not eligible for ITO
5. The driver is responsible for providing the preparation specifications from the
originating series for the car being raced
6. Competition vehicles from the following Touring type series are allowed to
compete in ITO
ITO:
SCCA World Challenge GT
American V-8 Supercar Series
BMWCCA H thru I Stock/Prepared
Corvette Challenge
Ferrari Challenge
GrandAm GS
IMSA Firehawk GrandSport
NASA American Iron
NASA Camaro/Mustang Challenge
PCA A thru F Stock
Touring Corvette Challenge (TCC)
Viper Racing League

++++++++++
Wow! That's a broad range of cars and no wonder they "don't guarantee competitiveness". There's no way that field of cars would be as competitive as our AI/CMC field.

-=- Todd

MikeP99Z
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
The guy in charge of the ITE 3.0 liter rule in the SW division is an ass. I argued with him repeatedly in 2002/2003 to allow V8s back into ITE. He flat out refused and indicated that he would never change back to allowing it. My argument was for a place to put ex T1 and T2 V8s into after Touring expiration date.

He told me to pull my LS1 and make my car an A-Sedan with a carbed 305, or completely redo the car (cage, fuel cell, the works) and make it SP. I told him to have a nice one and that I'd be running my car in NASA AI.

Wirtz
02-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Wirtz,

If I remember correctly, SCCA ITE requires a fuel cell. Can anyone confirm this?

Nope. The Improved Touring rule set recommends, but does not require a cell. One thing I need to go back and double check was the weight vs tubing size requirements....

Wirtz
02-21-2008, 12:20 AM
It's a bit of a rant at no one on this forum. But the rules from SE region are another case of allowing too much under the Improved Touring banner. This is a cut and paste from the IT rule set.

A. PURPOSE
Improved Touring classes are intended to provide the membership with the opportunity to compete in low cost cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition.

IT rules are here just in case anyone wanted to see them.
http://scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/ImprovedTouring.pdf

Rob Liebbe
02-21-2008, 08:55 AM
The tone from SCCA in general is why I don't run there. It is also the reason we formed Yahoo Racing Limited back in 1981 to thumb our noses at those snobs and run our own events. NASA may have its faults, but it sure is a lot more fun than SCCA.

Todd Covini
02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Also a bit of a rant and not directed at anyone, but here's my frustration:

1) they require you to compete annually to maintain your license, but...
2) they don't have a class for you to race your current racecar.
3) they aren't making any progress toward helping you with #1 or #2.

So...you're folks are in the proverbial Catch-22...and people will naturally leave.

The model is great if you have cookie cutter classes and cookie cutter people/cars to fill them. But for us Yahoos who are just cookie dough, oozing outside of their cookie cutters....it's too messy. Best to just run NASA...we've got a place for you to race!!!

-=- Todd

PS- Beer maiden photo intentionally omitted.

Waco Racer
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
There is a proposal in the latest Fastrack to allow the 3rd gen and Fox body in ITR. The rules would be similar to CMC but IT allows head and intake manifold porting and a 17" x 8.5" wheels with an open tire selection. However, those are not required to be legal for IT. Also, no CMC "spec" (8.14 & 8.15) engines.

http://scca.org/documents/Fastrack/08-fastrack-mar-club.pdf