PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Quick Release

Jeremy Gunter
02-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, I picked up a OMP wheel for cheap last week, along with a couple of other Items... Curious about what quick release to go with, or should I buy the OMP adapter and forget the quick release. OMP's sell for about $50 and I don't want to spend a whole lot more than that... what are ya'll running and where did you get it?

Boudy, got anything I can buy?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/3425-1990.JPG

marshall_mosty
02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
You should be able to get a six bolt type from one of the roundy round places (Coleman or Stock Car Products).

jeffburch
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Any more wheels like that to be had cheap?
What was cheap if you don't mind me asking?
I use the hex style. It's just ok. Pegasus Racing Supplies.

jb

Jeremy Gunter
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
well I paid $130 for the wheel, AC Delete Pully, and a window net which has 3 years left before exp.

You decide what the price of the wheel was...

Jeremy Gunter
02-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Does it require welding to install? I am guessing yes, but thought I would ask...

jeffburch
02-25-2008, 06:45 PM
yes.
jb

Wirtz
02-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I've tried both hex and spline styles from places like IO Port and Pegasus. Both styles have had some slop in them, at least more than I would like. I have not tried one of the super pimpy ones form Momo and the like however, don't know if they run tighter tolerances. The slop only really bugs me in the pits or driving slow. I've never noticed it on track.

My old IT car had to have the wheel off to get in and out. The Camaro is not so bad. Either way you might check the wheel position compared to your seat position. If you are going to get or make a spacer, it is a good time to figure out if you want the wheel to be a bit closer or farther from you.

Jeff

ShadowBolt
02-25-2008, 08:14 PM
CMC17 has a Momo.....no slop at all.

JJ

Todd Covini
02-25-2008, 09:09 PM
If you don't NEED to have a removeable steering wheel, then opt to not have one. I've seen too many wheels come off on track because they weren't engaged fully. They are like hoods...every so often you hear of someone losing one. :oops:

Just my opinion.

-=- Todd

David Love AI27
02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
My car came with a splined hub, not hex... very little slop but was hard to align at first... no problem after a couple of years of use...

AJ@PST
02-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey guys, I picked up a OMP wheel for cheap last week, along with a couple of other Items... Curious about what quick release to go with, or should I buy the OMP adapter and forget the quick release. OMP's sell for about $50 and I don't want to spend a whole lot more than that... what are ya'll running and where did you get it?

Boudy, got anything I can buy?

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/3425-1990.JPG

I am not Boudy but I will have some on sale this weekend at our Garage sale. We will also have a garage sale the weekend of the NASA event. I have all types of quick releases from splined to hex, weld-on to bolt-on.

mitchntx
02-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I have one of the "garage sale" quick release units AJ is describing on my car. Have had since day 1 and have had zero problems.

Adam Ginsberg
02-29-2008, 12:55 AM
It never fails....after I pick up one of these:

http://www.shrackracing.com/steering_wheel/sr-1.jpg

And all of the associated parts to install it, THEN you have a "garage sale". ;)

Rsmith350
02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey guys I'm in Houston but as you all know need a bunch of stuff for my car. Can anyone scope out what's at the garage sale for me???

AI#97
02-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey guys I'm in Houston but as you all know need a bunch of stuff for my car. Can anyone scope out what's at the garage sale for me???

Sure....and I will re-sell it to you for a 20% markup! ;)

Rsmith350
02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
as long as that includes shipping we might have a deal.....would you settle for beer at the next event? :wink:

AJ@PST
02-29-2008, 02:09 PM
It never fails....after I pick up one of these:

http://www.shrackracing.com/steering_wheel/sr-1.jpg

And all of the associated parts to install it, THEN you have a "garage sale". ;)

Shame on you! All you had to do was ask. I STOCK race car parts. PST has the largest inventory in Texas of road racing parts and safety equipment. I know my website does not reflect on hand inventory but the growth rate of the on site business has been phenominal.

Adam Ginsberg
02-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Shame on you! All you had to do was ask. I STOCK race car parts. PST has the largest inventory in Texas of road racing parts and safety equipment. I know my website does not reflect on hand inventory but the growth rate of the on site business has been phenominal.

Well, many times I start digging for information and prices on the 'net before I make any phone calls. While I realize you stock a great deal of racing parts, if it's not on your website/online store, it's hard to know what you have. Many times, I do my searches at odd hours when no one is available via phone.

Just my .02c.

Wirtz
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Bingo! All my best shopping happens between 1 and 4 am I think....

AJ@PST
02-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Point taken, I will work on the website side of things. In the meantime, just keep us in mind if you need an item quick or you want to try it on!

Adam Ginsberg
02-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Bingo! All my best shopping happens between 1 and 4 am I think....

Pretty dangerous, isn't it? ;)

Adam Ginsberg
04-06-2008, 07:17 PM
And finally.....it's in the car. Daron whittled an adapter to thread/press fit onto the factory steering shaft, welded it into place (short welding bursts followed by water and compressed air so as not to damage the factory parts ), then welded the Longacre splined piece to the adapter:

http://www.shrackracing.com/cmc-05/steering-wheel/CIMG0003.jpg

http://www.shrackracing.com/cmc-05/steering-wheel/CIMG0005.jpg

http://www.shrackracing.com/cmc-05/steering-wheel/CIMG0006.jpg

http://www.shrackracing.com/cmc-05/steering-wheel/CIMG0007.jpg

http://www.shrackracing.com/cmc-05/steering-wheel/CIMG0008.jpg

http://www.shrackracing.com/cmc-05/steering-wheel/CIMG0010.jpg

AI#97
04-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Jeremy's worked out pretty well once we junked our original plan. Ended up staring at the factory wheel and realized there is a steel insert just cast into the aluminum frame. ended up cutting it out of the stock wheel, grinding off as much of the aluminum as possible and welding it straight to the hex adapter for the quick release he had. Worked great and turned out to be a nice install that can be removed as well...just needed a longer M10x1.50 bolt and the adapter bolted right on. Pretty clean setup really and I think his turn signals still work! :lol:

Todd Covini
04-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Good lookin' wheel, Adam!

Jeremy Gunter
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Matt,

I must say that was an ingenious idea you came up with. Worked great on the way home...
too bad the wheel doesn't say Ford Racing :(
easy expensive fix I suppose...

Adam, Looks great. Can't wait to see it at TWS...

AI#97
04-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Matt,

I must say that was an ingenious idea you came up with. Worked great on the way home...
too bad the wheel doesn't say Ford Racing :(
easy expensive fix I suppose...

Adam, Looks great. Can't wait to see it at TWS...

It's a little ghetto and that hex drive seems to have a lot more play than the type adam has...but, for what you have into it dollar wise, you can't beat it!!!

marshall_mosty
04-08-2008, 06:19 AM
that hex drive seems to have a lot more play than the type adam has...

On track you can't feel the "slop". I have the splined type and Michael commented that the wheel rocked a bit. I thought the same thing originally, but out on the track, the effect on driving is non-existant, IMHO.

Adam Ginsberg
04-08-2008, 06:24 AM
It's a little ghetto and that hex drive seems to have a lot more play than the type adam has...but, for what you have into it dollar wise, you can't beat it!!!

Ghetto can still be functional. ;)

Your comment about the hex drives having slop/play in them is what I heard from a great deal of racers. Precisely why I chose the splined version instead.

Jeremy - unfortunately, I won't be at TWS in April. If all goes well, I should be back in TX for the Hallett event in June.

50resto carries the Ford/Sparco FR500C steering wheel (part #: M3601R) in the event you want to buy one. Shannon had the best pricing I could find, and has been a supporter of our series since it's inception.

AI#97
04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
50resto carries the Ford/Sparco FR500C steering wheel (part #: M3601R) in the event you want to buy one. Shannon had the best pricing I could find, and has been a supporter of our series since it's inception.

And he still is. Had it not been for him, the SVTOA event would not have been as successful as it was. This event was the first time I got to sit down and talk to him and he is one of the best people you could ever meet. If you can, support 5.0 Resto any chance you get.

Jeremy Gunter
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Here is what Matt Rigged up...

marshall_mosty
04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
So, is the hex hub bolted on? If so, I hope you used loctite... :shock:

AI#97
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM

The hex is welded to the keyed insert that was in the stock steering wheel, then that is all bolted onto the original steering shaft just like a stock wheel would be. Once he determines he likes the location of the wheel in relation to his seat, he can then loc tite it. I doubt it will go anywhere but if he decides he doesn't like it, he can unbolt it and install something different. I may end up doing the same on mine if I ever do a quick release wheel.

GlennCMC70
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
there are plenty of billet spcers out there to put that wheel farther back. i have about 4.5" of spacing on my wheel.

AI#97
04-08-2008, 09:29 PM
there are plenty of billet spcers out there to put that wheel farther back. i have about 4.5" of spacing on my wheel.

He won't need that much....he is a lot shorter than you! :lol:

GlennCMC70
04-08-2008, 10:02 PM
oh!
do that make them in .030" increments? :wink:

Jeremy Gunter
04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Glenn, you could benefit from being a few inch's shorter... It would give you more head room while racing your car. :lol:

Alien
04-09-2008, 07:48 AM
No problems unless he makes an abrubt left turn :D