PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Ford FR500S Mustang

jeffburch
03-11-2008, 02:20 AM
So if 4 of these Miller Cup cars showed up to race with NASA, where would they class?

http://www.nasa-southeast.com/WebList.pdf

jb

Adam Ginsberg
03-11-2008, 06:55 AM
If they dyno, and their weight is good = AI. Too much HP vs. weight = AIX.

The chassis itself, cage and all, is NASA legal ( at least, last time I chatted with JWL about it ).

Todd Covini
03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
I read the rules last nite.
Latest revisions are posted on www.mustangchallenge.com
Their post-race weight is 3600 lbs....factory motors.
They are underpowered AI cars.

-=- T

PS- Their ABS units are not AI legal...so would need to disconnect or swap for OEM units. That's all.

AI#97
03-11-2008, 02:32 PM
General consensus is they are $80k chicanes in AI... todd posted the rest.

Adam Ginsberg
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
At Thunderhill, the MC cars are about ~2sec off the fastest AI cars (they'd be mid-pack), and about ~1-2 seconds faster than the fastest CMC'ers.

jeffburch
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
At Thunderhill, the MC cars are about ~2sec off the fastest AI cars (they'd be mid-pack), and about ~1-2 seconds faster than the fastest CMC'ers.

1-2 seconds ain't enough. :roll:
Now I'm considering this, as well as the weather.

jb

BlueFirePony
03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
...I was putting down 1:46-1:48 at MSR-H with a 300HP car in and around 3600lbs (with driver---course I've lost about 20lbs since then ;)
and that was in DE traffic.

I would be surprised if the FR500 would not be a little faster than I am.

jeffburch
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
I hope.
75 grand buys them a picnic lunch in T7 8)

jb

AI#97
03-11-2008, 07:52 PM
...I was putting down 1:46-1:48 at MSR-H with a 300HP car in and around 3600lbs (with driver---course I've lost about 20lbs since then ;)
and that was in DE traffic.

I would be surprised if the FR500 would not be a little faster than I am.

Put both you and the FR500 on Toyos and it's a different story. Hoo Hoos are good for atleast 1 full second if not close to 2 full seconds on a course like Houston. Also, keep in mind those AI cars on the left coast aren't nearly as fast as the AI cars here in Texas... so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

The Mustangchallenge cars are slow ass over priced tanks! Then add in the fact you have guys driving them that didn't know they paid $80k for a slow ass over priced tank and they get 2-3 seconds slower and incur more potential for body damage due to inexperienced drivers. Put them in an AI field in Texas and they would be protesting that our cars "Must be illegal to be THAT fast!" LOL!!!

chicane23
03-11-2008, 08:14 PM
[ Hoo Hoos are good for atleast 1 full second if not close to 2 full seconds on a course like Houston.

Try 2 to 3 seconds faster on a set Hoosiers. I pulled 2 seconds from Toyos to Hoosiers last year at Hallett in the Gray car. These Hoosiers were 2 years old as well.

jeffburch
03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
They're shod in BFG's.

jb

BlueFirePony
03-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Does it count that my Hoosiers were on their 12th heat cycle...geez and here I thought just losing 20lbs was going to be enough...guess I need to actually start learning to drive now. :twisted:

chicane23
03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Does it count that my Hoosiers were on their 12th heat cycle...geez and here I thought just losing 20lbs was going to be enough...guess I need to actually start learning to drive now. :twisted:

You should be fine! Come out and have a great time. What suspension mods do you have on the car?
What brakes?

Just curious as we are helping a good friend build a very nice '06.

BlueFirePony
03-12-2008, 12:29 AM
Yep, I will see you all this weekend...at least Saturday..might have to cut out early....just running TT for now.
Not to hijack the thread, but answers to your ?s

The suspension is just upgraded street stuff....Tokico D-Specs...love the adjustable dampening ...even if it is just one dimension. Steeda springs, rear sway. Left the front sway alone ...added adjustable camber...front suspension is actually pretty decent.
Still a pig but a predictable pig.

I upgraded the brakes to AP-Racing 4 piston calipers and just some upgraded street rotors in 14". Yeah Yeah...big brakes - bad karma...I know I know. :lol: Much safer than the stock system though, which I began over driving a year ago and was experiencing serious fade. The car is just a heavy brute (still have weight I can remove of course).
I've also heard good things about the Baer GT Plus package....a tad cheaper than the AP package. I am thinking about having someone fab a new bracket for the AP calipers and then drop back to 17" wheels but that's another thread for another day :twisted:

chicane23
03-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Sounds like a great start.
I think the big brakes are one of the first things the S197s needs. You have a great platform to work with that is for sure.

I will not be at the event this weekend, but I do look forward to meeting you at a different event.

You should come to the TWS event on March 29-30, it an SVTOA event that will be a lot of fun.

Best regards,