PDA

View Full Version : i'm out for MSR-C and possibly the whole 2008 season.

GlennCMC70
03-12-2008, 11:50 PM
after dicking around all day from trying to get the motor broke in (didnt happen - CRAP), to getting my trans issues in my 2001 HD diagnosed ($2500 to fix - CRAP CRAP!) and spending 3 hours on the phone about BS in Cali (dumb fucks!), i finally get back to the garage to work on my car. i pull the dipstick to check the level and low and behold - F'ing Milkshake City. (not enough room here for all the F bombs i wanna drop right now)
i'm not sure what the cause is, and at this point i really dont give a shit.
i've busted my ass for 3 weekends straight trying to get this motor runnning and now this. i have ....... HAD plans to get the motor broke in Friday morning at MSR-C, dyno by 2pm and be back at MSR-C by 4 for the HH. now i've got to figure out what the F is going on w/ this. it will surely require pulling the top end to figure it out. i dont have it in me to keep pluging away at it like this.
i'll be there at MSR-C in Official capacity........... once again.
looking forward to you guys putting on a good show.

Todd Covini
03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Drag it to the track and we'll all pitch in there.
I seen a man work on a Chevy before and I can help!
Don't be discouraged...you did a lot of good with your truck and the Cali Call...now that you're juggling, you've got to accept a dropped ball here or there. Look at all the ones you're catching!!!

-=- Todd

PS- 6 AM on Saturday still, right?

PS-PS- We could run the Glenn-Todd Challenge this year...both of us enter in Round 3 or 4 (negotiable)...the car with the most points at year end wins a "special" trophy!!! It's about the fun man. (That and the fact that I'd kick yer ass on track.)

Rsmith350
03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
I've scraped every last cent i can spare to make it this weekend! I'm physically and mentally exhausted from all the crap that's been goin on recently so I feel for you sir! I'll be damned if I'm not in there helping if you decide to haul it to the track.......and I'm a chevy guy........Todd didn't happen to touch that motor did he? :shock:

donovan
03-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Slacker... I'm up prepping my ride... get out there and fix that thing!!!

DD

GlennCMC70
03-13-2008, 02:17 AM
i pulled the motor in Jan after the banquet. i put it in a couple weeks after R1. i pulled it again on Sat and put it back in on Sun. i've drivenit around the block 2 times. and now i've got some major issue and no idea whereto start other than pull the heads. i have no good heads to put in thier place.

GlennCMC70
03-13-2008, 02:28 AM
o.k. the motor was taken apart. i was told the head gaskets were about to fail so it was good we did this. i had fresh bearings put in. same rings and pistons. i did have ARP head studs put in instead of the OEM bolts. i did not assymble the long block.
i have two guess's.
1) head gaskets are leaking due to inproper TQ on the studs, or warped heads.
2) the head studs were not sealed and water is pushing up the threads.

guess's?

GlennCMC70
03-13-2008, 04:10 AM
after doing a little research seems ARP studs have a habit of leaking. so i go out and pull both valve covers. sure enough looks like alot of water and oil sludge sitting around the head stud nuts. lots of foam on the top of the valve cover inside.
i pull a head stud and i see no sign of sealant on the threads. none.
anyone ever had good luck pulling one at a time and re-sealing it, then re-torgue'ing it? its that, or i go get a set of OEM head bolts w/ the pre-applied sealant on them. or i pull the heads and put down new gaskets and ect....
i think its just the studs leaking.

and yes, its 4am..... :roll:

at this point i need to drop the exhaust and remove the exhaust manifolds. then start removing/replacing studs one at a time.

any help is welcomed. beer and pizza on me.

jeffburch
03-13-2008, 05:36 AM
GL
pm sent
jb

ShadowBolt
03-13-2008, 07:50 AM
I have resealed the studs one at a time in the past with great results. These were stock head bolts. If the head gasket is good there is no reason to pull the head.

I'm still not sure why you pulled the motor in the first place. I thought it was running perfect at the end of the season?

Drag that turd to the track and I will give you all the help I can. Unlike the rest of you I could care less if it's a Ford or a Chevy.

What about the new car you and Mitch have for sale? It needs a good workout. I was even thinking about asking to rent it for a race since I am splitting time with Jay.

JJ

donovan
03-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Damn Glenn, and I posted at 1am and you were working on the car...!!

You Da Man!!!!

Get some new head gaskets, R+R the heads, get some thread sealant RTV, us Ford guys have to put it on the long head bolts or maybe the short ones... in the SBF's each time too... I have used two different brands from both Autozone and Oriely's and both have worked fine, its usually a white teflon looking RTV tube. Seal up the bolts and go go go...

If I was up in the Dallas area I would come over and help!
DD

jeffburch
03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
You said you had the intake off.
The bolts adjacent to the water galleys need sealant.

jb

ShadowBolt
03-13-2008, 08:45 AM
I use copper coat and dip the bolt in the can. I've never used the RTV for head bolts but I'm sure it works great.

JJ

donovan
03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I use copper coat and dip the bolt in the can. I've never used the RTV for head bolts but I'm sure it works great.

JJ

I don't think its really RTV, its jus like RTV and in the same section.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/images/PRODUCT/large/PTX-80631.jpg

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/images/PRODUCT/large/PTX-80633.jpg

jeffburch
03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
A cooling system pressure tester may show you the way.

jb

AllZWay
03-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Good luck Glenn... I may be able to pitch in a little on Friday night if needed....I just need to make sure my heap will be okay first.

ShadowBolt
03-13-2008, 09:35 AM
A cooling system pressure tester may show you the way.

jb

I have a pressure tester I can bring. Let me know because I would not normally bring it to the track.

Jerry

michaelmosty
03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Glenn,
I can stop by and help out after work today for as long as needed. Let me know what your plans are.

GlennCMC70
03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
i'll go get some stuff today.
thread sealer and a pair of head gaskets just in case.
i do need to work today (some) as i was off yesterday and will be off tomorrow.
i'm at 848 McCully St
214-869-9603

all i need to do at this point is drop the exhaust and remove the exhaust manifolds. then i need to decide if i'm gonna pull the intake and heads or just the head bolts one at a time.

feel free to come by. call first if you can.

donovan
03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Good luck Glenn... I may be able to pitch in a little on Friday night if needed....I just need to make sure my heap will be okay first.

So I take it you got the car together enough to race this weekend? That is awesome!

DD

AllZWay
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM

So I take it you got the car together enough to race this weekend? That is awesome!

DD

Yes.... I got the windsheild replaced yesterday and now I just want to drive it during happy hour to make sure something I am not seeing is not broken.

Dad worked his butt off on the car to get it going and I worked really hard this past weekend finishing off the graphics and a few other things.

Todd Covini
03-13-2008, 11:49 AM
:oops: My Dad lives in Tampa and he's not mechanically inclined, otherwise my car would be ready for this weekend too. :oops: :wink:

michaelmosty
03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Not to rub it in Todd but you do realize that we are approaching the 1-year aniversary of your incident. :shock: :wink:

RichardP
03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Not to rub it in Todd but you do realize that we are approaching the 1-year aniversary of your incident. :shock: :wink:

Ummm... It's been long enough that rubbing it in is actually required. Apparently we now have to shame him into working on his car.

Good leaders lead by example. There might be room for improvement here.

The only thing I can remember from the last time Todd raced was that he spun on the warm up lap and passed the entire field under yellow...

:D :D

Richard P.

Wirtz
03-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Ok, in order to get Todd back in his car, how about we require him to bring it ot the track this weekend. Then Friday and Saturday night can be a "work on Todds car" party at the track?

;)

Jeff

jeffburch
03-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Uh oh, open door here RP.
Here it comes........................
When was the last time we saw your car on track??

Last event '06?

jb

RichardP
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Uh oh, open door here RP.
Here it comes........................
When was the last time we saw your car on track??

Last event '06?

jb

Last time the car was on track:
Driver's Edge @ TWS, March 1-2, 2008. Eleven days ago...

Next scheduled event for my car:
Driver's Edge @ Eagles Canyon, March 29-30, 2008. 16 days from now...

Richard P.

jeffburch
03-13-2008, 01:54 PM
"We", as in your AICMCTx bretheren.

jb

Alien
03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
and now for something completly different...

http://www.nsxfiles.com/Pyramid_of_speed.htm :)

(Not that I'm one to talk since I'm finally stepping up to the top for the first time this weekend) :oops:

BlueFirePony
03-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Did that on my old '84 sunbird (sealed in sequence)...worked fine till I sold the car 2 years later - trip cross country too. Course it was my inept lack of mechanics skills that put me in that position in the first place so it was the grace of God that kept the car running :roll:

after doing a little research seems ARP studs have a habit of leaking. so i go out and pull both valve covers. sure enough looks like alot of water and oil sludge sitting around the head stud nuts. lots of foam on the top of the valve cover inside.
i pull a head stud and i see no sign of sealant on the threads. none.
anyone ever had good luck pulling one at a time and re-sealing it, then re-torgue'ing it? its that, or i go get a set of OEM head bolts w/ the pre-applied sealant on them. or i pull the heads and put down new gaskets and ect....
i think its just the studs leaking.

and yes, its 4am..... :roll:

at this point i need to drop the exhaust and remove the exhaust manifolds. then start removing/replacing studs one at a time.

any help is welcomed. beer and pizza on me.

AI#97
03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Glenn, ARP studs require to be torqued, heat cycle the engine twice and then torque again +5 ft/lbs. I learned that the hard way in 06 on my first rebuild. The second time around, once the engine heat cycled, they were 12-15 ft/lbs short of full torque. It caused my head gasket to fail between cylinders and to the water jacket, but didn't milkshake.

Did this on my last rebuild and has been spot on.

Good luck!

GlennCMC70
03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
cars done. i have a dyno appointment at 2, i'll likely show up to that early. then off to the track for Happy Hour / motor break-in.

Rob Liebbe
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
cars done. i have a dyno appointment at 2, i'll likely show up to that early. then off to the track for Happy Hour / motor break-in.

Damn!!!!! ---- Errr I mean GREAT!!!!!

BlueFirePony
03-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Happy it turned out well for you!