PDA

View Full Version : Mini Enduro

Rob Liebbe
03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Is anyone else considering running in the mini enduro this weekend?

How fast were those cars anyway?

Wait - found their times from Houston. Anywhere from 1:30 to 1:46. I was running 1:50.

mitchntx
03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I'll run it with you, Rob. I think it would be a hoot.

But I'll have to stop for fuel. I can't make 90 minutes on a single tank. Maybe 60, but not 90.

It would be a nice and inexpensive test to see if car and driver (mostly driver) is up to it.

Rob Liebbe
03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
That's what I was thinking too. I'll be using up a set of tires this weekend and I can run on them.

The Enduro runs until 11:15 and our 40 minute race is at 12:50. Something to consider.

Anyone else want to run - or help out?

mitchntx
03-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Here are the rules ...

http://modernendurance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=48

Most interesting ...

4.2. Fuel – Tires – Equipment

4.2.1. Fuel
4.2.1.1. Fuel tank

All cars in all categories must utilize an FIA approved fuel cell. Fuel capacity: Sport Prototype, GTP: 80 liters (21.13 US gallons) maximum.

I would assume this would be waived

4.2.1.2. Refueling

* Fel will be open during 2008. Maximum 104 octane.
* Int the future the competitors may only be allowed to use the fuel proposed by the organizer, who will only invoice the real fuel quantity used.
* No additive is allowed,

* The refueling will occur only in the paddock prior to the event, on pit road during a scheduled or un-scheduled fueling stop, or at a track approved refueling area. Several refueling methods are authorized during the event: Drivers can refuel when they want assisted by 1 mechanic at the designated fueling station using only the fuel pumps supplied. Full refueling apparel is required in accordance to the current FIA regulations.

FIA refueling apparel might be a show stopper

* Fuel type: Premium or any commercially available unleaded gasoline (maximum 104 octane).

* One mechanic will refuel his own car. A fire extinguisher must be held by another crew member during all fueling operations.

I can bring an appropriate fire extinguisher

4.2.2. Tires

Tires are open in 2008. A tire contingency may be available in some regions.

A single tire manufacturer will be chosen to provide tires for the sport prototype CN and C3 classes. For any car in category CN or C3, a spec race tire may only be used. The number of tires is restricted to 1 set per <=3 hours 4 sets for 25 hours.

Tire sizes:

Front 189/550 x 13 or 210/550 x 13

Rear 250/570 x 13 or 300/600x 13

C3 will be allowed to run 15 inch front 16 inch rear

4.2.3. Equipment

4.2.3.1. Transponder

Each car has to be equipped with an AMB transponder.

4.2.3.2. Identification of the cars

The number on the cars will be set as follows: 1 on the front hood, 1 on each door or side. The number on the sides has to be reflecting, in order to be read at night, for all night races.

4.2.3.3. Lights

* Additional headlights are NOT authorized. The series lights must have the original configuration. If the original headlights have 4 headlamp inserts, only 2 headlamp inserts can be switched on at the same time.
* One rain light, 2 brake, and 2 running lights are compulsory.
* At least one windscreen working wiper must work (on closed cockpit cars).
* A single Identity light is permitted. The Light must be constant and fixed. Flashing or rotating lights are not permitted.

4.2.3.4. Exhaust

In accordance with the 2006 Circuits Standard Regulations. Maximum db limit is 103db.

4.2.3.5. Transmission

A maximum of 6 forward gears is allowed. All cars must have an operational reverse gear. Transverse Transmission is not permissible.

4.2.3.6. Elements of Safety

In accordance with technical regulations 2006: Group CN and C3 : The steering column has to be made of a retractable part, with a shaft sliding in sleeve. The length must be at least 100 mm (3.94 inches), and should be situated nearest to the steering-wheel. Not required for SRF or DSR/CSR class.

4.2.3.7. Specifics

* Only one sensor is allowed on the rear tire but must be independent of the E.C.U
* Carbon fiber is not permitted with the exception of rear wings
* Power assisted Steering is not permitted.
* Crash box cannot be modified by competitors
* Cars must be run un-modified as delivered by manufacturer.
* An extra oil or water radiator can be set, but the exterior perimeter of the vehicle must not stick out.
* The maximum driving length is 2 hours and 10 min per driver per stint.
* The repairs times in the garages for a long intervention (if they are official), can be deducted for the said driver. If there is any doubt, only the timing of the car is authentic.
* A driver will be allowed to drive again only if he has a minimum rest of one hour after the end of his last drive on whatever racing car.
* If a car breaks down or goes off the track on the circuit during the event, the cars can be towed to the entrance of the pit lane in order to start again the race after the repairs, checked by the technical scrutinizers.
* In case of breakdown on the track, the repairs have to be done by only the driver, with the tools carried in the car.
* It is allowed to start the cars by pushing them at every point of the circuit during the race, but under the control of the officials of the race.
* The organizer is the only person able to indicate the garages settlement and the places in the park of competitors.
* In case of breakdown or problem in the pit lane, needing to move backwards, the driver will have to stop his engine and can be pushed to his garage by his technicians. All engine reverse in the pit lane or driving on it on reverse could lead to the exclusion of the entrant.
* The garages doors have to be completely open during the whole race. If they are closed, it would mean the official retirement of the vehicle.
* Every kind of repair is authorized, except the change of chassis and monocoque structure.

* Any mechanical intervention is forbidden during the refueling in spite of the fact that one present mechanic is allowed, only to help to refuel.

* During the repairs in front of the pits, are authorized to intervene:
o 2 mechanics for the repairs, the maintenance and the change of wheels.
o 1 team manager, that is to say 3 persons.
* Only one driver can help the other to seat in the car and put his seat belt on.

Pit signaling zone: 2 persons maximum per car.

If one does not respect those rules, the penalty could go to exclusion of the entrant.

4.2.3.8 Radio

The “C.B.” is authorized in the cars, but you must indicate to the USPL the frequency used.

GlennCMC70
03-13-2008, 10:37 PM
i'll run the polka dance 2000 if i could get my car running. :x

ShadowBolt
03-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Jay and I are thinking about it but we wanted to change drivers. If it is not required the ones that do change drivers will fall way far behind. If everyone changes drivers I'm all for it.

JJ

AI#97
03-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Personally, I would not fuel the fact they are needing car count to keep this series in our routine. Last event they had 5 cars hogging track time for over an hour.

I am all for new classes joining NASATX but drop them into Group 7 as catch all's till they can support their own run group of 10+ cars. They do it to us with GPC every now and then when our counts drop... :?

Rob Liebbe
03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I agree with your opinion Matt, but I think that a few cars running with them this weekend will not affect their overall level of participation in the long run. I've never run more than our 40 minute (read 30 minute race time) races in the car and this seems like a good and convenient opportunity to evaluate prior to the TWS Enduro.

Besides, the schedule for this weekend is set and we can't change it at this point.

Maybe a good idea for future events is to have the mini enduro at the end of one of the days - PREFERABLY SUNDAY. That way the majority of the people aren't waiting around for 5 guys. What do you think NASA?

AI#97
03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
I would also like to add that I like the 4 races per weekend, but would love to see 4 - 30's as our competition gets closer in AI, means longer close races and good shows.

I also like the way NASA TX has 3 and 4 race weekends compared to other regions with just two races per weekend that might just have "thunder" and "lightning" run groups with 4 to 8 different classes running in one race session. The down time between sessions is what kills it for me. In round one on sunday, we had OVER 5 hours downtime between qual and the 40 minute race which I understand may happen sometimes, but I was nearly falling asleep just waiting before I even got in the car and got exhausted after 40 minutes, then had issues staying awake driving home for 5 hours!

Now, I love the fact we have our own AI/CMC run group, but, I would ask the question if we can get more track time, ie longer race sessions, if we were to take back in GPC/ST and maybe do split starts, and get 4 30 minute races in a weekend? Anyone else up for trying that formula? ST/GPC seems to be picking up the pace a bit so they shouldn't affect our racing much and it has usually taken 30-35 minutes at tracks like Houston for AI to begin lapping the field. Cresson is a different story, but TWS and ECR could allow for larger fields.

Just thinking of how to mix things up a bit and get more track time for our dollar! ;) Might even make us better drivers learning to deal with slower traffic.

Maybe I have just been spoiled by all the HPDE events where I am always hopping between sessions and students to keep the weekend fast paced?