PDA

View Full Version : Cheatin’ Bastard Practice @ ECR

RichardP
03-17-2008, 08:57 AM
With two of the six race weekends behind us, it’s pretty clear that there is some serious competition this year. Included in this year’s schedule is an event at the all new Eagles Canyon Raceway. Those who don’t get a chance to learn this track ahead of time and find the optimum setup for their car are likely to be left behind when the green flag drops.

http://www.thedriversedge.net/images/ecr.gif

The Driver’s Edge is having an event there on March 29-30. That’s just two short weeks away. This is an excellent opportunity to figure out this track and get a leg up on your competition.

I’ll be there, along with Chris, piloting the 2006 NASA TX AI Championship Ford Mustang. Not that any of Ya’ll can keep up with it on track but it’s just cool to see such an immaculately prepared and tuned piece of automotive history being put through it’s paces on the track. :roll: :D

To get more information and to sign up for this event check out http://www.thedriversedge.net/ But you need to act fast. This event is almost full and is sure to sell out.

See you there,
Richard P.

jeffburch
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I'd love to if their procedures were easy and convenient for me to sign up.
If they'll take my comp licence and put me in white, maybe red without any resistance.

jb

RichardP
03-17-2008, 09:30 AM
If you want to go, PM me and I can work the appropriate clasing stuff...

Richard P.

jeffburch
03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Just got off the phone with a TDE participant.
"Hallett on steroids"
and
"rough as a cobb"
"Very rough"

jb

oz98cobra
03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
It was a tough call for us whether to go run the SVTOA event at TWS for some cheating bastard practice there, or do ECR with DriversEdge to get an early look at this track - sponsorship obligations made the decision for us, and we opted for ECR.

Mason was on a plane to the orient for work, so I took the car out myself. Obvioulsy I'm not about to tell you fellas how to drive the track, but I will agree with Richard's prediction - if you don't get some time in here before the race in October, you're going to be at a serious disadvantage. Even once you have driven it, it is definately going to be a track that sorts the men from manties wearers ;) It's not even close to becoming my favorite track to drive on - but I can't wait to race there!

And yes it's bumpy and lumpy. The track essentially consists of 2 fun sections where you twist down into valleys then climb out again interspersed between between several very boring drag strips. It is also not a track you want to go off on - there were several cars that went home on flatbeds - a corvette with underside ripped out - an SLK55 AMG with the tires ripped off 2 rims - a Cayman S are a few that I recall? Hopefully the off track situation will improve by the time we race there as the track and landscaping matures?

While it didn't seem to bad on tires, this track is BRUTAL on brakes - ask PST who by Sunday lunchtime when everyone was well and truly up to speed, had no less than 10 cars lined up waiting for brake service - boiled fluid, toasted pads, etc - and understand that there were no first timers at this event - all participants had been on other tracks before! Seriously, I ripped through half a set of PFC 01s in 7 sessions and even though it was cool weather, I couldn't get the brakes to last a full 20 minutes without boiling the Motul - and our car is lightweight! Not only do you have to haul down for hairpins at the end of all the drag strips, but most of the hard braking areas are downhill!

The pits are a bit of a muddle with multiple levels (they are terraced on the side of a hill) and it is going to be very hard for race control to flow cars off the track while getting the next group out which is essential for NASA to be able to run the tight schedule they do(Todd/Clifton, take note and get with ECR management early on this - call me if you want to know what the issue is).

It's not all bad though - there are many things to like about this track - while some will be intimidated by the place, many of you are going to love racing here. Apart from the bumpiness, the track is well designed with curbing and rumple strips in all the right places - it has a good safe pit in/pit out runs - a good club house now - pump and race gas at the track. There is an excellent spectator area at this track - a big (soon to be grassy) hill for friends and family to sit up on and watch the action - DFW folks, this is the race to get all your friends and work buddies out to watch!

RichardP
03-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Driver's Edge has one more opportunity to try out this track before the NASA race there. The event is on September 6-7. That is officially very bad timing for those going to nationals. For those not going to nationals, this would be your opportunity to get a leg up so you have the opportunity to beat up on the newly crowned national champions on a track they haven’t learned yet. :D

Richard P.

AI#97
03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
It was a tough call for us whether to go run the SVTOA event at TWS for some cheating bastard practice there, or do ECR with DriversEdge to get an early look at this track - sponsorship obligations made the decision for us, and we opted for ECR.

Mason was on a plane to the orient for work, so I took the car out myself. Obvioulsy I'm not about to tell you fellas how to drive the track, but I will agree with Richard's prediction - if you don't get some time in here before the race in October, you're going to be at a serious disadvantage. Even once you have driven it, it is definately going to be a track that sorts the men from manties wearers ;) It's not even close to becoming my favorite track to drive on - but I can't wait to race there!

And yes it's bumpy and lumpy. The track essentially consists of 2 fun sections where you twist down into valleys then climb out again interspersed between between several very boring drag strips. It is also not a track you want to go off on - there were several cars that went home on flatbeds - a corvette with underside ripped out - an SLK55 AMG with the tires ripped off 2 rims - a Cayman S are a few that I recall? Hopefully the off track situation will improve by the time we race there as the track and landscaping matures?

While it didn't seem to bad on tires, this track is BRUTAL on brakes - ask PST who by Sunday lunchtime when everyone was well and truly up to speed, had no less than 10 cars lined up waiting for brake service - boiled fluid, toasted pads, etc - and understand that there were no first timers at this event - all participants had been on other tracks before! Seriously, I ripped through half a set of PFC 01s in 7 sessions and even though it was cool weather, I couldn't get the brakes to last a full 20 minutes without boiling the Motul - and our car is lightweight! Not only do you have to haul down for hairpins at the end of all the drag strips, but most of the hard braking areas are downhill!

The pits are a bit of a muddle with multiple levels (they are terraced on the side of a hill) and it is going to be very hard for race control to flow cars off the track while getting the next group out which is essential for NASA to be able to run the tight schedule they do(Todd/Clifton, take note and get with ECR management early on this - call me if you want to know what the issue is).

It's not all bad though - there are many things to like about this track - while some will be intimidated by the place, many of you are going to love racing here. Apart from the bumpiness, the track is well designed with curbing and rumple strips in all the right places - it has a good safe pit in/pit out runs - a good club house now - pump and race gas at the track. There is an excellent spectator area at this track - a big (soon to be grassy) hill for friends and family to sit up on and watch the action - DFW folks, this is the race to get all your friends and work buddies out to watch!

Exactly as I expected from what I experienced in just 4 laps in my old truck...but the bumpiness is a little sad to hear. It didn't look like they did a very good job on the base, or the base course and given water can run down the hills UNDER the track, it may only get worse.

I sort of figured braking was going to be an issue too. big speed and slow turns but I too am looking forward to running on it!

Thanks for the update Daron!

AI#97
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
For those not going to nationals, this would be your opportunity to get a leg up so you have the opportunity to beat up on the newly crowned national champions on a track they haven’t learned yet. :D

Richard P.

Assuming said champions haven't already clinched the regional and choose to use ECR for drops! ;)

donovan
03-31-2008, 04:47 PM
That is my plan... 8)
DD

oz98cobra
03-31-2008, 07:08 PM
or assuming those newly crowned champions haven't already learned ECR? ;)

oz98cobra
03-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh BTW, DriverEdge tried and falied to arrange track time for instructors at ECR on the Friday before the event - apparently they were unable to provide staff to be at the track on a weekday? but I think it is essential for this track to have a test and tune day before a major race event like NASA - so this is something else that needs to be worked on by NASA early on so arrangements can be made.

Todd Covini
03-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks Daron....I'll get with Clifton & the others.

Todd Covini
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Michael Mosty...still want the super stiff suspension for ECR? :lol:

Buy the GW setup and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you. My springs could use a freshening up after many years and I probably "floated them" one time too many at TWS that last time. :oops:

jeffburch
03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Put me down for some friday CBP.
I wish to kick some Arrrrrrrrrrrse.

jb

AllZWay
04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
I have given a little thought about doing the Sept. ECR DE event....it just depends on my tire situation by that time of the season.

michaelmosty
04-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Michael Mosty...still want the super stiff suspension for ECR? :lol:

Buy the GW setup and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you. My springs could use a freshening up after many years and I probably "floated them" one time too many at TWS that last time. :oops:
I'm afraid if I buy the GW setup like you have I will start spinning off track uncontrolably. :lol:

Wirtz
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm afraid if I buy the GW setup like you have I will start spinning off track uncontrolably. :lol:

But think on the bright side; it might mean you will be getting wicked airtime! Cool....

Todd Covini
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
When you go as fast as I do, you have to expect to go off a bit here or there. :P

Al Fernandez
04-03-2008, 07:41 AM
That's exactly what your Enduro Team owner wants to hear!! :lol:

Todd Covini
04-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I'll be driving 7/10ths just to stay ahead of Glenn since it's not my car. :wink:

GlennCMC70
04-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I'll be driving 7/10ths just to stay ahead of Glenn since it's not my car. :wink:

well you will finish just behind me at that speed.

jeffburch
04-14-2008, 08:36 AM
ECR
TDE 3/29/08 warm up lap.
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/04_08_EC_TDE.wmv

jb

AI#97
04-14-2008, 10:06 AM
ECR
TDE 3/29/08 warm up lap.

jb

Damn! That track looks worse that some of the streets in Garland! Is it really that rough or just a loose camera mount in a stiff car?! :shock:

ShadowBolt
04-14-2008, 12:35 PM
[quote=jeffburch]ECR
TDE 3/29/08 warm up lap.

jb

Damn! That track looks worse that some of the streets in Garland! Is it really that rough or just a loose camera mount in a stiff car?! :shock:[/quote

I watched a video of Ty Howard doing a lap on his M/C and it looks really rough.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8404620844581065053

JJ