PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman of the Weekend - Round 2 - A Toast to David Love

donovan
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
I am nominating David Love for Sportsman of the Weekend - Round 2

David and the rest of the Love gang showed up Saturday morning with their racecar disassembled. Some of the engine still needing buttoned up and the tranny was not installed.

He spend most of Saturday putting it back together at the track.

I asked him early on Saturday what he was doing, he told me "I would have worked on the car all day anyway, why not do it at the track with all the guys!" Wow, that is dedication to the group! Awesome!

He got the car together and was able to get some track time.

During the 40 minute race his clutch started slipping around lap 15. He decided to pull in and not mess up anyone else on track with a racecar that was slightly wounded. He pulled into the hot pits, after sitting there for a little an official came over to ask him what he was doing. He asked them to let him know when there was a couple minutes left in the race, because he wanted to take the checkered flag.

He went out with 2 laps to go and took the checkered flag!!!

David, I toast you for your great sportsmanship and dedication to the group! You and your attitude are one of the reason I love this group of guys and keep coming back weekend after weekend!

Way to go!
DD

I'm sure there is more to the story, but that is all I have.

cjlmlml
03-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Let me also add that when he came over and paid his annual dues , he insisted on paying for last years as well, because he had not paid.

I told him that didnt matter and was not necessary.

He still insited on paying for last year.

Lead by example.

Nuff said.

marshall_mosty
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Cheers to LiiR!!

AllZWay
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Cheers to LiiR!!

Absolutely... :)

BryanL
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
That is awesome dedication. I am pretty sure I even saw him hopping in to instruct some DE. I don't remember seeing smoke like I did in Houston either.

Bryan

Jeremy Gunter
03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
During the first class on saturday morning Kevin Mixon had David explain the flags to us newbies... in Houston they went through it so fast, I was curious if any of the first timers had a chance to catch it all... This is THE most crucial part of being on a track, and to spend as much time as possible explaining it is very important. it can also be overload when they fly through it... IMO...

David Love did a great job explaining the flags, spending some time to explain what kinds of circumstances each flag might come out for, and what to do/not to do under each flag... I was very happy to see this happen for each new person, and myself... too bad he got rushed through it because of time...

Great sportsmanship, and his character is first class as well!

Racebrat
03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
When David pulled into the pits and told me what he wanted to do I was more than happy to help him do it. Jason came over and my only concern was would he over heat sitting there (there was about 14 minutes to go when he pulled in)? Jason said probably not so we sat there until 3 minutes to go- I was so excited to see David take the checkered flag! Way to go neighbor!!

This is an awesome group and I had a lot of fun seeing everyone this weekend. Y'all still put on the best show out there! Nothing wakes you up like the sounds of 20-something American Heavy Metals revving their motors under a tin roof! It was great- thanks for a great weekend!

Looking forward to April- Enduro anyone? :-)

A

GlennCMC70
03-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Looking forward to April- Enduro anyone? :-) A

we would be if we could get some info.

rpoz27
03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
David always has a great attitude! I've seen him instruct on three hours of sleep after driving most of the night and he's just as cheery and helpful as ever. He stopped by at one of the MSRH events last year after being up all night, saw that I was cranking on my car (again :roll: ) and jumped in to help seal the hole that my header had developed. Then he ran off to see who else needed anything.

This weekend he was up late Friday working on his car, loaded it in pieces on his trailer, left Houston around 2am, picked up Darcie (NASA's logger) in College Station, got to the track in time for her to make the worker meeting at 7:15, put his car back together, and raced. He spent part of the 40 minute race on Sunday playing with the rookie in #718 to give him some wheel to wheel time. He's truly an AI/CMC role model.