PDA

View Full Version : Koni Rebuilds

Todd Covini
04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Anyone ever done it?

After the jump I took I want to send my DA's off for a rebuild and checkup and curious as to other's experience.

-=- Todd

donovan
04-07-2008, 01:01 AM
I think Chris Lyons had some done...

Check with him.
DD

GlennCMC70
04-07-2008, 02:05 AM
PST has a shock dyno and is currently rebuilding lots of brands of shocks now. get w/ AJ on it.

AI#97
04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
PST has a shock dyno and is currently rebuilding lots of brands of shocks now. get w/ AJ on it.

I spoke with him about it this weekend. They can get you a base line and he recommended Truechoice to do the work. I will probably be hitting them up after TWS...

chicane23
04-07-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/

cjlmlml
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Koni NA Paul Mcglaughlin 859 586 4100

Todd Covini
04-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys. I had heard TrueChoice was the source to use.
So what's the skinny? You send them off and they come back brand new?
For those that use them, did you do any custom valving?
Anything special or just new internals and a spit-shine for $XXX?

How did that service compare to just buying replacements?

-=- Todd

AI#97
04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys. I had heard TrueChoice was the source to use.
So what's the skinny? You send them off and they come back brand new?
For those that use them, did you do any custom valving?
Anything special or just new internals and a spit-shine for $XXX?

How did that service compare to just buying replacements?

-=- Todd

AJ said figure a 4 to 6 week turn around and about $150-175 per shock. After TWS my car is going on jackstands and hope to have the fronts re-valved to custom specs. Primarily to deal with some increased spring rates later down the road but I am already past the higher range of control on the DA's... Mostly, the shocks have nearly 3 years of use on them and I figure they are due to be freshened up...

If anyone else had experience with Truechoice, I would love to hear it. I think Mark B had chimed in about them on the Yahoo board but I haven't logged in there for a long time.

RichardP
04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
did you do any custom valving?

If you take brand new shocks that are near the price limit and pay to have them re-valved, does that mean that they are now illegal because they cost too much? What if you do it four times to get the valving "just right"? How would anyone know that you did it?

What if you have old shocks re-furbished but not re-valved? Didn't you still spend more than the allowed amount on that particular pair of shocks? How do you validate that they were "worn out" and in need of repair or replacement?

When you get them revalved, do you have to use parts from the original vendor or can you use "other" parts. How would you know?

Sorry, I was just thinking out loud and thought it would be fun to stir things up... :D

Richard P.

AI#97
04-07-2008, 02:57 PM
did you do any custom valving?

If you take brand new shocks that are near the price limit and pay to have them re-valved, does that mean that they are now illegal because they cost too much? What if you do it four times to get the valving "just right"? How would anyone know that you did it?

What if you have old shocks re-furbished but not re-valved? Didn't you still spend more than the allowed amount on that particular pair of shocks? How do you validate that they were "worn out" and in need of repair or replacement?

When you get them revalved, do you have to use parts from the original vendor or can you use "other" parts. How would you know?

Sorry, I was just thinking out loud and thought it would be fun to stir things up... :D

Richard P.

Well, by your theory then, Glenn should be horsewhipped at dawn...of course those F-body guys can probably buy cheap ass shocks for like $10 instead of the $300 koni's...?

GlennCMC70
04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
accually, my shocks are $170 from Day Motorsports and add $25 for valving and assembly.
once you add in the upper and lower adapters to make them work w/ my platform is where it approches the cost limit. so i have about $400 in my front shocks themselves - about half the limit. my rear were free but for cost reasons they are Koni SA's - off the shelf units. look for that to change soon.

also - i've never had them re-shimmed, they are as sold to me.
re-valving shocks does not count again the cost of them.

chicane23
04-07-2008, 09:03 PM
This is from a friend that sent his DAs off to get repaired.

"I called all three Koni rebuild centers and they all quoted the
standard $155 rebuild fee, plus any parts that needed replacing ($75 parts
estimate if the adjuster mechanism needed replacement). I sent it to
Turechoice Koni Racing Services (got the best vibes on the phone), and they
just charged me $75 labor and about $7 in parts to fix the strut. That
included the oil/gas charge, putting it on the shock dyno, and printing out
a graph of the results."

That is a great deal an deal and great service.

Al Fernandez
04-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I had the koni doubles on mine rebuilt a couple of years ago by Tri-Point Engineering (the guys that run the blue and white Mazdas in World Challenge Touring).

They did a good job of talking to me ahead of time and settling on what valving should be...but then dropped the ball afterwards. They packed the shocks in newspaper before the paint was dry, and didnt include a typical dyno curve so I had to do some investigating to determine exactly what I had. I'm not sure if I'd use them again...probably depends on what I heard when I called other shops.

Trublu
06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
True Choice Racing current price and turnaround

The cost is $180.00 per insert plus parts. The parts are usually around $40.00 per unit and our current turnaround time is 10 days.