PDA

View Full Version : Bedding in pads/rotors

Alien
04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
How/when do you bed in pads? In my case, Carbotechs and newly turned or new rotors.

The basic how is easy to get...
http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.html#10

But how do you do this safely during a happy hour or test and tune and not cause a wreck? It says to come to near stops (slow rolling speed). Even doing this off-line, I see this causing issues with other drivers.

Am I missing something?

jeffburch
04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
I have new pads on (CT XP10) and will be bedding 1st thing at TWS.
I will tape up my duct openings and head over to the slolom road if it isn't congested. Or the tunnel road up to the access road of 6 and back.

jb

GlennCMC70
04-10-2008, 04:20 PM
for best results, they need to sit over night after bedding.
i use the local loop 820 service road. 3 hard stops from 30-0 and 3 more from 60-80 to 30-40. i normally do this 1 week before the event.

ShadowBolt
04-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I never wait over night but I do make sure everything cools off completly after bedding in. I've read it's better to use an old pad on a new rotor or a new pad with a old rotor although I don't know why. Stoptech has tons of good info on the topic on their web site.

JJ

AI#97
04-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I never wait over night but I do make sure everything cools off completly after bedding in. I've read it's better to use an old pad on a new rotor or a new pad with a old rotor although I don't know why.

JJ

All good info but the last time I ran carbotechs, XP12's, I thought the instructions said to go out and do 4 laps at 80% then hammer them for one lap and pit to let cool to ambient...? Things could have changed but...

Todd Covini
04-28-2008, 12:16 AM
I put Hawk HPS's on the Focus this weekend.
Directions said 6-8 stops from 35MPH...followed by 2 stops from 45 MPH...then let cool for 30 min....and you're set!

Weird part was that after parking it I went to see how the pads were doing and they sounded like a bowl of Rice Krispies....snap, crackle & pop.

Those suckers were gassing what they were supposed to and getting their molecular structure juuuust right!

Al Fernandez
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
So Gary, as you can see some of our boys routinely break the law by driving their illegal cars in an illegal manner on public roads :lol: and some chose to break the track rules by driving like maniacs within the track gates :lol: (just kidding guys, I've been guilty of both of the above)

I've never found it a problem to bed brakes on track during warmup sessions. You do really need to pick your spots and ensure no one is behind you, but I've never had an issue. Some places (TWS for example) have good places to do this off track, but not everywhere does.

Alien
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Just before the TWS event, I ended up trying to be like Glenn, professional driver on a closed course. Lucky for me, there's a closed course juuuuust outside my subdivision in the form of a long dead end road.

On the way out of the subdivision, did a few 30-5 stops (not stupid enough to be breaking any speed limits there), then weeeee!!! to the top of 2nd before the dead end on the closed course.

oz98cobra
04-29-2008, 10:34 AM
The 40mph to 5mph repeat and rinse instruction are written for street cars - if you have to bed on the track, then modify this for the track by moving the speeds up the scale some so you can do it in practice without causing a melee.