PDA

View Full Version : Texas enduro experience

marshall_mosty
04-21-2008, 02:17 AM
Guys,
Just wanted to give an update into the "Mosty Brothers' Racing" enduro effort.

Before I start, I'd like to thank Jeremy Gunter, Robert King, and Jeff Wirtz for helping out with crew duties. Even with radio issues, the pit stops worked well.

First, the car didn't receive much prep in anticipation of the 4-hour enduro. The trans was only a few weekends old, motor was freshened up in December and the brake pads were in good shape. Just needed to bolt the tires on and go racing!

Practice/Qual for the enduro put the #67 7th out of 26-28 cars. Not too bad for a son of the Ford fairmont, right? 8)

Well, the enduro started with a 25mph parade lap to show what the pit lane speed would be. I don't necessarilly think that the ENTIRE first pace lap really needed to be at 25mph, maybe just our first run down the pit road. Oh well, the car didn't have any cooling issues with the lower speed, so all is well.

After the 2nd pace lap (the regular 60mph one), everyone lined up for a flying start. I was on the inside of the banking, so was planning on diving to the apron when the green flag flew. When the green flag dropped, I was able to jump up to 3rd before T1. Pretty cool in my opinion. Now I just needed to hold the position. Frank and I had some good side-by-side racing all the was from T3 to T10. :)

I found out very quickly that the tires on the car left MUCH to be desired. They consisted of two 2004 date code tires and two 2005 date code tires. So much for reducing my inventory by using them. MISTAKE!! The car was an absolute handful the entire race. Oversteering at will. I even had a real nice drift coming onto the banking... (Frank had a great view!)

We had originally planned for a 3-stop strategy with roughly 55 minute stints and a 5 minute pit stop.

Well, after about 40 minutes the car changed exhaust note and revealed a cold cylinder... (well that just sucks!) Now we had to limp our car around as best we could. I couldn't even pull the CMC cars on the front straight. Oh well, work with what you have, right?

Also, at the first pit stop, I informed Michael I though the powersteering was getting weak. This was the understatement of the day as Michael struggled with NO powersteering and is down on power. He came in at the 1:20 mark (30 minute stint) saying he thinks "it's about to blow up". I assure him we will go out in spectacular fashion then and get in the car for stint #2.

Stint #2 was my first trip to hell. Boy is that not pleasent. I had decided during the offseason to install a nice "small" 13" steering wheel. This works great with power assist, but absolutely sucks with no assist at all. Every corner was like doing butterfly curls with 100 lb weights. Needles to say, slip angles went out the window and we were just trying to get the wheel turned enough to get around the corner. I was able to stay in the car for 50 minutes.

Stint #3 started with telling Michael "Power steering is gone and we're down on power. Do your best". He was able to gain on and overtake Liebbe during his 50 minute stint. I was hoping he would last at least 55 minutes to an hour so I would only have to stay in the car for approx 50 minutes. Well, since we didn't have good (if any) radio communication with the car, Michael came in a wee bit early.

Stinet #4 (Final stint). I told Robert to fill up the cool suit with as much ice as he could. (fighting with the steering wheel was HARD work). The cool suit and gas were both filled and I headed out for what I was expecting to be my last stint... once again, wrong. I started getting starvation going through the carousel so I called in that I needed a splash and go.

Stint #5 (Really the final stint). As I got to the pits, I was told there were only 4 minutes left in the race. 4 minutes... that's only two laps. Damn my luck with fuel consumption. We loaded approx 2 gallons on board to get the car fired and I roared away to finish the race. The last two laps were at about 70% pace so I could just finish the race.

Overall, other than driving for 3 hours with no power steering, having an engine down on power, and having old crusty tires that really belonged in a trash pile we (I) had a blast at the enduro.

The StopTech brakes were amazing. They didn't fade, falter, or really wear that much over the course of the 4 hour. Engine temps were great (170 water/235 oil).

Congrats to all the AIX/AI/CMC entrants (Glenn/Mike, Rob/Todd, Frank/Jorge, David/Jason.

Big congrats to Glenn/Mike (Team Moonlite) for taking the E1 victory!

I'm sorry team LiiR had a panhard bar mount failure that ended their race and to Frank for having such a lengthy stop to replace a failed wheel bearing and brake pads.

Now off to bed... it's been a long day. 8)

AllZWay
04-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the problem...but on the bright side... you did finish which is a good accomplishment.

donovan
04-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Congrats! It was awesome to watch!

You two are the true Ironman... no power steering... WOW!

DD

gt40
04-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Before I start, I'd like to thank Jeremy Gunter, Robert King, and Jeff Wirtz for helping out with crew duties. Even with radio issues, the pit stops worked well.Glad I could help out!

Stinet #4 (Final stint). I told Robert to fill up the cool suit with as much ice as he could. (fighting with the steering wheel was HARD work). The cool suit and gas were both filled and I headed out for what I was expecting to be my last stint... once again, wrong. I started getting starvation going through the carousel so I called in that I needed a splash and go.For whatever reason, you didn't get a full tank of fuel on this stop. I think that screwed up my fuel calculations. Based on my math, you were burning 12 gallons per hour with a healthy engine, and 10 with a sick one (short shifting?) You should have had 20 minutes of fuel left over. Obviously that wasn't right.

I'm sorry team LiiR had a panhard bar mount failure that ended their race...I talked to them afterwards. They were going to continue without the Panhard Bar, but when they were checking out the Panhard problem, they noticed a un-repairable fuel leak, which made the Panhard issue academic.

Jeremy Gunter
04-21-2008, 04:18 PM
The fuel issue was COMPLETELY my fault. but I had a great time, and was glad to be a part of it. next time I won't play NASCAR fuel consumption games :oops:

gt40
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
The fuel issue was COMPLETELY my fault.Nope, not completely. I was right next to you and I didn't catch it, either.

Next time, we'll be MUCH better.

marshall_mosty
11-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Finally figured out what the deal was with the car being down on power.

Cylinder wire #5 was apparently laying on one of the headers during the entirety of the race. It was there long enough to burn all the insulation off to expose the core of the wire.

Even after being "asleep" since April, it fired up after only about 3 seconds of cranking (after changing the plug wire). I'm impressed.

Powersteering is fixed, general tuneup, new front pads, and a few other tidy up items left to get the car ready for the '09 enduro.

cobra132
11-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Excellent, glad to hear it wasn't anything serious. I've been busy as well: Swapped out motor to a block bored and stroked to 5.3l with new big valve heads, new clutch disk and flywheel insert, rebuilt and balanced drive shaft and new front rotors and pads. Anxious to fire it up and see what kind of power it makes. FMR

marshall_mosty
11-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Frank, that sounds GREAT!!!

I'm not changing anything in my combo. Just going to run the same thing again. I'm probably going to dyno so I can run E0 instead of ES.

Should be fun times.

David Love AI27
12-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Excellent, glad to hear it wasn't anything serious. I've been busy as well: Swapped out motor to a block bored and stroked to 5.3l with new big valve heads, new clutch disk and flywheel insert, rebuilt and balanced drive shaft and new front rotors and pads. Anxious to fire it up and see what kind of power it makes. FMR

U did all that to the Alamo City Rollers lemons car??? :twisted:

cobra132
12-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I have a couple of surprises there too, on the QT. We'll talk later. FMR

AI#97
12-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I have a couple of surprises there too, on the QT. We'll talk later. FMR

Are you going to have to buy ANY tires at all? I think we might need two, maybe only one and michael is telling me he thinks we don't need any brake pads either! :shock:

BTW, I hope you find that torque you have been missing but don't be surprised if that motor makes 400rwhp!

cobra132
12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I have enough rubber and brake pads for the next 5 years of lemons racing, easy. FMR