PDA

View Full Version : Team Moonlite Wins E1! And 3rd Overall!

GlennCMC70
04-21-2008, 09:15 AM
wow....... just wow. who would have ever thought a CMC car would best a Mazda MX5 Cup car? and a Team MER (AKA Jason Sanni - sp?) car at that? he later told us we killed them in the pits.
I was hoping for a podium in class. but to get a 1st in class and a 3rd overall - I am totally shocked. the two cars that beat us overall were the Turbo Miata we all know and love from MSR-C (think BZZZZ) and some spec racer Ford looking thing that was holy shit fast (1:45's). he lapped me like every 3 laps but had to stop way more often. we were 2 laps down overall and 1 lap down from 2nd place.

i got to start by thanking my support crew.
Mitch Warren as Crew Chief - you always do an awesome job.
Al Fernandez and Chris Burton as fuel guys. nice work - no spills!
Steve Mulder as Fireman and general crew duties.
Bryan Lienart as the numbers cruncher and gopher.
Chad - aint touching that last name - as general pit help and gopher.
what an awesome performance by these guys. i cant say enough about how everyone knew what needed to be done and just went at it. no job was too small for them. i am forever in your debt for the lengths you went to make yourselves available for this.

it was also very nice to team up w/ Mike Patterson who did an awesome job driving my car better than me. it was a pleasure teaming up w/ you. i cant wait for the next one.

Mitch and myself spent about 2 weeks meeting for lunch every few days and "running the numbers" to see how our stops were gonna work. we planned for a 4 stop race but knew the first stint was the pivotal stint, it would tell us how the rest of the race would play out for us w/ regards to pit stops. i don’t have the drivers log, but i think w/ got 39 laps on the first tank. it went for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. we knew if we could get it over 55 minutes, we would be on a 3 stop strategy. at one point we asked Mike if he was refining gas in the passenger seat or something. we did pull out a few tricks to get the tank as full as possible and it paid off way more than we had hoped. once we stopped, 10 gallons was put in so we could ensure a no spill stop and to see how long 10 gallons would last - it got us to the 2 hour and 15 minute mark. we also knew from stop 1 that we could get more than 10 in it, so we put 12+ in it while we did a driver swap. that stint took us to the 3.5 hour mark. we only needed 5 gallons to finish but on the 3rd and final stop but we added another 12+ to the tank to ensure we wouldn't come up light. finished the race w/ 3/4 a tank and 40 lbs over the min weight. we had 60 lbs of ballast in the car. we also speculated how many total laps we would run during our almost daily lunch meetings. Mitch guessed 105 to 106. we ran 108. that’s my fault for thinking our pit stops were going to be longer than 2 minutes. my bad.

the car - held up very well. i had an oil leak since the last event and it just kept getting worst and worst. it finally started getting on the clutch. it slipped very badly when i left the pits after stop 2. in fact, i was limping it around in 4th most all the track to help the disc live.
tires - we started the race on a newly heat cycled 4/32 set. we never changed a tire. in fact, the passenger front was the coolest tire on the car. they will get flipped and run for Hallett. water and oil stayed at 175-180 and 235-240 the whole race. nice to finally get my temps under control.

lastly, but not least, the Sponsors.
Moonlite Printing and Graphics (Kevin Turner)
Natwell Weld Supply (Steve Mulder)
PST (AJ is then man)
Argent Lab - the radios worked awesome all 4 hours.
Thanks guys for the support.

Nick
04-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Congratulations!

AllZWay
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
That is an awesome job.

jeffburch
04-21-2008, 10:01 AM
WOW! :shock:

Bad ass!

You also bested your track record in R3.

jb

GlennCMC70
04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
WOW! :shock:

Bad ass!

You also bested your track record in R3.

jb
can you scan that please? i never saw a results sheet.

jeffburch
04-21-2008, 10:37 AM
mylaps is up!

jb

Shortcutsleeping
04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Congrats Glenn!

My boss, his son (15 yrs old), and a buddy of my boss' ran the #33 XPEL SRF that finished a handful of seconds behind you for 4th overall. I heard the play-by-play this morning!

They made two stops and ended with a right rear tire on cords!

I was in Mexico for the rolex stuff and some teams were shorthanded so I ended up crewing for the TRG Porsches. Woulda been funner to be behind the wheel, but at least I was at a track on pitwall.

Again, CONGRATS!

Costas
cars and such...

oz98cobra
04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Congrats to Glenn, Mike and the crew - you look like seasoned pros, right down to the "Team Green" shirts (something Jeff left of his list perhaps?).

It was fascinating watching all the car from our group - we planned to be out of there by 2pm, but there was always something going on in one of the pit bays or on the track so we didn't leave till after 3 o'clock!

MikeP99Z
04-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Huge thanks to all those Glenn listed in the beginning of this post. If it wasn't for the careful preparation, incredible teamwork, and fantastic/flawless pit stops - this couldn't have happened. Thanks for having me as part of the team and event.

The car was great and I did what I could to save something for Glenn to drive - no overrevs, no off track excursions, no speedshifting etc. I never really noticed the clutch having any issues because i never used it....just kidding...it was probably such a gradual change with the oiling that it wasn't super apparent to me.

Check out the mylaps lapchart for Laps 58-60 - Car #70 was overall leader =)).

I had tons of fun seeing everyone again this weekend, and look forward to future visits and eventual return to TX.

Glenn is the man. LAW rocks.

Todd....oh Todd, Todd, Todd....it was fun brother :lol:

Todd Covini
04-21-2008, 10:24 PM
The Green Shirts were "very nice".
http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/borat_cannes_2.jpg

Al Fernandez
04-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I would've expected more from the team I fueled for...the only times you guys didnt get fuel related penalties by the way!

Cant say enough how much fun I had during this. Bring on more enduros!!! :lol:

GlennCMC70
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
The Green Shirts were "very nice".
http://www.jaunted.com/files/3/borat_cannes_2.jpg

pic of your Naval Shore leave back when you had hair?

come on, dont be all sore like Brad Simpson.

Todd Covini
04-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Kidding aside...

Glenn...you are Da' Man, and while I would never have admitted that prior to this weekend...you (and the LAW Motorsports Team) deserved that E1 win and the amazing overall podium!!!

Your efforts proved that prep & attention to details are what win races. You guys clearly were on your game. The Team Green shirts were peculiar, but very effective to ID your team anywhere on grid.

I have no idea how you guys ran as long as you did on a tank of gas. Our pit strategy was to simply "pit after Glenn/Mike"....but I couldn't hold out any longer at the hour mark for fear of running out.

Your tire strategy paid off well and differentiated you further from our CMC team.

I teased you that your obsession with fuel delivery was going to get you a spillage penalty...and we got a spill penalty.

Patterson was a machine out there and while I had to eject off-course to avoid a cross-wise SRF...Mike powered on by without skipping a beat. All things combined are what gave you that advantage and the overall win, and you guys deserve every bit of the glory.

The Liebbe/Covini Mustang bested the LAW Camaro all weekend long in the sprint races. Thanks to Rob, the Mustang outqualified the Camaro for the Enduro 11th vs 13th...and things were looking up for us at the start of the enduro...but your team proved that "races are won at home and in the garage".

Here's to LAW Motorsports!
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/gotprayer/beer_carrying_wench.jpg

mitchntx
04-21-2008, 10:50 PM
The Team Green shirts were peculiar, but very effective to ID your team anywhere on grid.

Particularly the driver coming down pit road ...

Funny how very few participants chose to abide by the "crew uniform" rule.

TJ3
04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Great job fellas!!

I worked turn #4 for the enduro and it was amazing to see the #70 consistently make lap after lap with no big gaps from pitting. Like Covini said, the preparation and pitwork really made the difference. Trust me, I heard all the radio traffic of all the teams getting hit with penalty after penalty. It cost 1 of the GTS teams the win!

Congrats to Glenn and all involved!!!

Todd Farley

mitchntx
04-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Great job fellas!!

I worked turn #4 for the enduro and it was amazing to see the #70 consistently make lap after lap with no big gaps from pitting. Like Covini said, the preparation and pitwork really made the difference. Trust me, I heard all the radio traffic of all the teams getting hit with penalty after penalty. It cost 1 of the GTS teams the win!

Congrats to Glenn and all involved!!!

Todd Farley

Thanks should go to YOU and your fellow corner workers for working the event. Without you guys, there would be no wins.

Kudos and a huge thanks!

Al Fernandez
04-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Seriously!! Working corners for an enduro just has to be rough. Thanks Todd and all of your colleagues!!!