PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Spoiler/Wing/front spoiler

Rsmith350
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
I really hate to open old wounds or stir up anything but i am in the process of building my car and I have alot of options. This particular discussion got quite heated it looks like (before my time)

http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1361&highlight=wing

I would like to know what Glenn did with his front spoiler that almost got him DQ'd.

I would also like to know what the concensus is on wings and what might happen with the rules next season before turning my car into a tech inspector magnet?

Any help for the Newbie would be greatly appreciated.

jeffburch
05-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Leave that monkey business to AI
jb

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/The_Flying_Nun.jpg
http://tvland.classictvhits.com/FlyingNun/Pics/FlyingNun01.JPG

mitchntx
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I would also like to know what the concensus is on wings and what might happen with the rules next season before turning my car into a tech inspector magnet?

I highly recommend you put a big wing on the back of your car. I like them.

Al Fernandez
05-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I know of nothing that would lead me to believe at this time that the rules regarding aero will be different for '09.

Of course that could change in the future. :lol:

Seriously, we hashed this over pretty good last year and the only thing I can see coming is a slight edit to limit the size/height of end plates, more for completeness than anything else.

michaelmosty
05-06-2008, 01:52 PM

I highly recommend you put a big wing on the back of your car. I like them.
:lol:

Rob Liebbe
05-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Wings are for Weenies!!!!!

Wirtz
05-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I know of nothing that would lead me to believe at this time that the rules regarding aero will be different for '09.

That's a shame to me... I really think the wing rule should be pulled from CMC. To me, the CMC cars should have to stay with factory parts front and rear.

When my dad was out visiting for the TWS race, he kept thinking Michael's car was an AI car from the wing. It just seems like a good way to help distinguish the different series.

Jeff

AI#97
05-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Don't know about that one... With the higher speeds and finer line to balance...it may seem like a sunday drive but can be VERY unforgiving after you cross the line!

Rob Liebbe
05-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Don't know about that one... With the higher speeds and finer line to balance...it may seem like a sunday drive but can be VERY unforgiving after you cross the line!

Wings are for WEENIES!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D

Rsmith350
05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
OK point taken....no wings till you get to AI. Thanks for the input guys. Now front spoiler question......

Since front stock chin pieces are so hard to find can I....

Make my own? :twisted:

Buy aftermarket? :D

Shutup and spend the $100 on EBAY plus $100 in shipping and then have to spend 9 hours repairing and painting the CRAP that I bought?(exaggeration):cry:

Still curious what Glenn did with his if anyone has a picture.

michaelmosty
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
On the subject of wings, is this legal?
http://www.autocult.com.au/img/gallery/full/MHMRC4LF.jpg

mitchntx
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Shutup and spend the $100 on EBAY plus $100 in shipping and then have to spend 9 hours repairing and painting the CRAP that I bought?(exaggeration):cry:

Welcome to CMC ... Replacements are getting harder to find and the used stuff is ... used up.

Just a 94-97 Trans AM bumper cover costs more than the whole car cost me to begin with.

jeffburch
05-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Yup, the 3G 91-92 chin is $295 used if you can find one.
No exaggeration on the prep/paint on used parts.
Maybe Nick will pipe up.
He has someone cooking some chins.

jb

Rsmith350
05-06-2008, 05:58 PM
This is some BS right here. Holy Crap!!!

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=115

jeffburch
05-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Buy it.
Could always use some flower bed edging.
ABS bends with a heat gun easily.
Coulda bought a Ford.
Dunno.

jb

mitchntx
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Well it is a budget series, afterall.

Rsmith350
05-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Ok so who do i need to talk to in regards to an "OK" on using something on my car?

Nick
05-06-2008, 08:23 PM
One post to address many..

I recently sold two (one NOS, both mint condition), front '91-'92 chin spoilers for about the same price mentioned above for one. Buy spares when the price is right rather than wait for when they're needed.
I have the '91-'92 side gfx available also.

Leave the CMC airdam/spoiler rules as they are. Let those who want try it, while the Jeff's keep winning without it.

I'm good on front aluminum bumper supports. Have spares. :wink:
Besides.. the stock fiberglass hood I have has been deemed illegal. :roll:

David, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to race your car in the enduro(s). Great fun and good times.

My Grandpa died on Thursday, after a stroke. I'll be out of touch for a while.

Look forward to seeing ya'll at Hallett. I plan to race the RX7 again.

GlennCMC70
05-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Ok so who do i need to talk to in regards to an "OK" on using something on my car?

me.
my number is in the rules along w/ my email address.

mitchntx
05-06-2008, 09:02 PM
My Grandpa died on Thursday, after a stroke. I'll be out of touch for a while.

Sorry Nick ... Prayers to you and your family.

Al Fernandez
05-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Nick.

Ross...chat with Glenn or myself. Roundy round shops sell roll plastic that can be used to extend the chin legally and cheaply. Given the 4" height rule, its probably more looks than anything else, also dont forget to consider potential impact to the car's cooling ability.

Boudy
06-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Nick: Sorry for your loss.

Ross: I was never fortunate enough to enter my career of choice. Many things stood in the way...

Uncle Sam trying to get his cut.
Johnny Law trying to get his cut.
Johnny Law trying to keep you down.
Crack heads won't pay for services.
Crack dealers want to trade for services.
Wanna be's trying to steel your bitches.
Bitches wanna talk out of turn.
Bitches wanna get paid.

The list is just endless... Damn near impossible to be a PIMP these days and my wing is as close as I can get.

rb

Rsmith350
06-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Nick: Sorry for your loss.

Ross: I was never fortunate enough to enter my career of choice. Many things stood in the way...

Uncle Sam trying to get his cut.
Johnny Law trying to get his cut.
Johnny Law trying to keep you down.
Crack heads won't pay for services.
Crack dealers want to trade for services.
Wanna be's trying to steel your bitches.
Bitches wanna talk out of turn.
Bitches wanna get paid.

The list is just endless... Damn near impossible to be a PIMP these days and my wing is as close as I can get.

rb

LOL! By the way i need to get some prices from you on some equipment and vinyl work. What's the best way to get a hold of you?

Adam Ginsberg
06-07-2008, 11:05 AM
What's the best way to get a hold of you?

Post something on the 'net. He'll find you.