PDA

View Full Version : REAL Texas BBQ

jeffburch
05-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Do we have any meat smokers in this bunch.
I wish someone would bring a wood/coal fired smoker to our events so we could have some real Texas BarBQ.
Maybe invite a local bunch (Cookers) to come out and have a cook off and enjoy some racing.

NASA Tx 1st annual BarBQ Cook Off of Brazoria County.
All proceeds benefit the Gregory Bruder Foundation.
Oh, and Car Show also. Maybe some kiddie rides?

<Humpy Wheeler hat off>

jb

GlennCMC70
05-03-2006, 11:27 AM
great idea Jeff! to bad NASA will shoot it down as there is no way to make money off it. :roll:

also, you forgot those Toyo Girls Todd promised us! i want a podium pic w/ a kiss from a Toyo Girl damit! and champain, yes, that too.

p.s. - dont tell my wife.

marshall_mosty
05-03-2006, 11:42 AM

About the champaign or the Toyo girls?

AI#97
05-03-2006, 12:01 PM
great idea Jeff! to bad NASA will shoot it down as there is no way to make money off it. :roll:

also, you forgot those Toyo Girls Todd promised us! i want a podium pic w/ a kiss from a Toyo Girl damit! and champain, yes, that too.

Todd's "promise" ended up being part of his twisted fantasy of him and adam dressed up in drag.....If you want to put someone in charge of getting women to give kisses and trophies....I would entrust it to someone else! :lol:

If I can use some of the dues money to do some "recruiting", I will volunteer my services to go hunting! :wink:

mitchntx
05-03-2006, 12:06 PM
While I'm no meat smoker :roll: I have been known to cause some serious belly woulds with brisket and ribs.

My dad grew up in west Texas and as a kid, went on one of the last real cattle drives ... Vega to Tucamcari around 1930.

consequently, he had some seriously good BBQ tricks that he gave to me before he died.

I have been giving thought to building a couple briskets for the Houston event.

Mike Bell
05-03-2006, 12:10 PM
BBQ, homemade ice cream and we get to race too??

Lookout kids, Christmas has come early to Texas........... 8)

jeffburch
05-03-2006, 12:12 PM
While I'm no meat smoker :roll: I have been known to cause some serious belly woulds with brisket and ribs.

My dad grew up in west Texas and as a kid, went on one of the last real cattle drives ... Vega to Tucamcari around 1930.

consequently, he had some seriously good BBQ tricks that he gave to me before he died.

I'll chip in. Lemme know.

I just like to smell smoke.

jb

michaelmosty
05-03-2006, 12:35 PM

I'll chip in. Lemme know.

I just like to smell smoke.

jb
JB,
I have some crappy street tires I could make some smoke with if that would make you happy. :lol:
It'll also double for evening entertainment!!

y5e06
05-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Tires? save the skins & just unhook your cooler line again...
It was entertaining for all of about 0.5 seconds in little bend :shock:

JB,
I have some crappy street tires I could make some smoke with if that would make you happy. :lol:

AllZWay
05-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Tires? save the skins & just unhook your cooler line again...
It was entertaining for all of about 0.5 seconds in little bend :shock:

JB,

It was pretty entertaining to watch that is for sure. :D

Todd Covini
05-03-2006, 11:27 PM
OK...time to get this thread back on track!!!
If Team Houston is going to organize a Better BBQ...we've got to start preparing now!!!

Mitch has hemmed and hawwed enough already that he's willing to play for both teams, so we've commandeered his superb BBQ abilities.

I'm willing to bring my gumbo pot and prepare something (wife) prior to the event to cook up.

Who does that leave us in way of donations/efforts/supplies for Team Houston???

Bell?
Varner?
Pedersen?
Marvel?
Armstrong?
LiiR?
Liebbe?
Others?

We'll likely have 1 new AI and 1 new CMC car joining us down in the central nerve system of the country (Houston), so we want to put on our welcome hats and show these guys what a real Saturday nite BBQ is like!

Dinner and a movie??? Can we put together a race video nite on the side of a trailer!?!?!?!?

-=- Todd

Mike Bell
05-04-2006, 05:08 AM
I'll be bringing the MH and trailer, if we want to do a movie I have the projector too. I'll volunteer to bring some of the fixuns' for dinner if that is what we need? Chips? Buns/bread? Plates? plastic forks/spoons?

Adam Ginsberg
05-04-2006, 06:56 AM
What movie? How about Bullitt? :D

donovan
05-04-2006, 07:09 AM
What movie? How about Bullitt? :D

I have brought it to the last three events hoping for a projector...

donovan

Mike Bell
05-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Dangit, sorry David. I may have dropped the ball on ya then but I'll be sure and bring the projector next event - you got a laptop or do I need to provision for a DVD player of some sort?

CMC17
05-04-2006, 07:46 AM
I will bring the mad drivin' skillz yo! Ok, will you guys settle for some chips instead?

Movies?

8) :lol:

David Love AI27
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I have at least 100 sets of packaged plastic dinnerware, compartmented to-go plates with lids, 1,000s of cups of all sizes, 5 gal cooler for iced tea, a precooked brisket, napkins and I can start bagging ice and storing in deep freeze. Who would be interested in paying 50 cents each for walmart/lowes groc. bag size of ice if I brought it to the track? I have access to 7 or 8 ice chests that i can loan out for the weekend for those coming in from out-of-town.

Nick
05-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I'd probably take a few bags of ice. That's cheaper than the store.

jeffburch
05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I'll be bringing the MH and trailer, if we want to do a movie I have the projector too. I'll volunteer to bring some of the fixuns' for dinner if that is what we need? Chips? Buns/bread? Plates? plastic forks/spoons?

MB!

Does the MH have satellite TV? The Winston (NASCAR All Star Challenge) comes on FX @ 7p edt Sat May 20.

JB

Mike Bell
05-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Absolutely it does. We can even run a cable outside and put it up on the projector if we have a large group of attendees. :shock:

Hate to force NASCAR on anyone, tee hee. :lol:

jeffburch
05-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Absolutely it does. We can even run a cable outside and put it up on the projector if we have a large group of attendees. :shock:

Hate to force NASCAR on anyone, tee hee. :lol:

Cool Man!
I'll whittle up some long A/V RCA's if you don't have any.
How long you figger?

Need a stereo amp/speakers

jb

mitchntx
05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I can scrounge a pair of small JBL powered speakers.

They use 1/4" phono plugs and need AC power ......

Todd Covini
05-08-2006, 08:23 PM
AWESOME!!!

NASCAR All-Star race Saturday nite at the Bell Motorplex Drive-In with Stereo-phonic sound it is!!!

-=- Todd

CMC17
05-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I have an 8-track and quadraphonic speakers I can bring along out of my daily driver.

David Love AI27
05-08-2006, 11:44 PM
SOOO in typical male fashion we went from "whats cookin'" to "what are we gonna watch on TV and how big are your speakers"?

Mike Bell
05-09-2006, 05:51 AM
AC power available, no sweat. I'm not sure who/what/where to plug the speakers into - DD is this gonna work? He's the only one to successfully use my projector do date, lol.

If all else fails, there's a 25" color TV down in the storage wells we can hook up.

Racebrat
05-11-2006, 07:43 PM

Glenn- This comment personally offends me and I cannot believe you said it! How dare you think that NASA Texas is only out to make a few bucks! How could you possibly think that anyone involved with this organization could be so shallow and self serving to want to only do fun things to line our own pockets? I'm shocked that you of all people would make a comment like this. You have witnessed first hand how hard we work and how much time, effort and passion for the sport it takes to make a weekend event happen safely and successfully. I'm shocked, I'm angry and most of all, I'm seriously disappointed with the way NASA Texas is being perceived. Your comment is so off base, it isn't even on the map and I think you owe everyone who read your comment as well as NASA Texas a sincere apology.

Adrian Carpenter

AI#97
05-11-2006, 08:59 PM

Glenn- This comment personally offends me and I cannot believe you said it! How dare you think that NASA Texas is only out to make a few bucks! How could you possibly think that anyone involved with this organization could be so shallow and self serving to want to only do fun things to line our own pockets? I'm shocked that you of all people would make a comment like this. You have witnessed first hand how hard we work and how much time, effort and passion for the sport it takes to make a weekend event happen safely and successfully. I'm shocked, I'm angry and most of all, I'm seriously disappointed with the way NASA Texas is being perceived. Your comment is so off base, it isn't even on the map and I think you owe everyone who read your comment as well as NASA Texas a sincere apology.

Adrian Carpenter

Adrian, stop by saturday night....I will get you a beer and you can relax a little and see that it wasn't meant to be mean. We all just sometimes like to crack off a zinger at someone elses expense....NASATX, whom we pay all our money to is just an easy target... Don't sweat it too much...

Mike Bell
05-11-2006, 09:03 PM
No apology needed for my sake, it's all part of the "family" atmosphere and good phun. I'm pretty sure that everyone here recognizes and appreciates much of what NASATX does.

GlennCMC70
05-12-2006, 01:42 AM

Adrian Carpenter

i'm sorry if you feel you were the target of my comment. it was a comment in reference to something that was told to me from the person it was said to from a NASA TX rep. it is in reference to radio communications. if you want the whole story, feel free to come by and talk w/ me. in hind sight, this was not the place for that comment, and for that i'm sorry. i have the hightest respect for many of you who make our weekends happen. most of you are frequently overlooked and are only spoken to when something goes wrong.
once again, i'm sorry.

CMC17
05-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Everyone from NASATX is welcome to the AI/CMC mosh pit!!! Come on down and hang with us as long as you'd like.

invitation for all = open

AI#97
05-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Everyone from NASATX is welcome to the AI/CMC mosh pit!!! Come on down and hang with us as long as you'd like.

invitation for all = open

I am guessing you all got the invite from Nasa for the Saturday night party at the tech shed? should we let someone else do the cooking and cleanup and we just bring the beer? Then we can retire to the paddock and BS all night?

<---- 2%'er extraordinare! :wink:

Waco Racer
05-15-2006, 03:42 PM
The last definate rumor I heard was that the NASA party will be a shrimp boil.

CMC17
05-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Count me out... not a shrimp eater.

Beef!! I want beef!!! 8)

marshall_mosty
05-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Shrimp, crawfish, beef, pork.... it's all good.
I'm in!!

jeffburch
05-15-2006, 05:29 PM
I RSVP'd cause of no interest in a BBQ.
See yall at the picture show.

jb

Mike Bell
05-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Well dag-nabbit. I'm grilling brats then. See ya when the peel-n-eat is over, hopefully in time for the Winston!

michaelmosty
05-15-2006, 07:22 PM
NASA food, AI/CMC food, it's all good. Bring on the ballast!! :lol:

David Love AI27
05-15-2006, 10:15 PM
BACK TO WHAT I POSTED A WEEK AGO:

I have at least 100 sets of packaged plastic dinnerware, compartmented to-go plates with lids, 1,000s of cups of all sizes, 5 gal cooler for iced tea, a precooked brisket, napkins and I can start bagging ice and storing in deep freeze. Who would be interested in paying 50 cents each for walmart/lowes groc. bag size of ice if I brought it to the track? I have access to 7 or 8 ice chests that i can loan out for the weekend for those coming in from out-of-town.

Do I need to thaw out a brisket or not??? If I do dinner for all, how many should I plan for?? I'll do it simple... Brisket, pot of ranch style beans and bread. Maybe some pickles and onions and the suace will have to be store bought. You provide your own beverage.

Todd Covini
05-15-2006, 10:23 PM
NASA food, AI/CMC food, it's all good. Bring on the ballast!! :lol:

Choices...choices!!! As Michael says...it's all good!

Glad to see the AI/CMC evening movie thing catching on and I hope to pull into the drive-in for Friday & Saturday nite's featured events!

As far as food goes for Saturday nite, the NASA party may just be the way to go this time!

1) We're in a smaller, more cozy paddock.
2) I'm unsure of the Master Baiter (aka- Mitch the Grill God's) attendance at MSRH.
3) I'm starting to feel that "pre-race craziness" that has kept me from attending events in the past. (Today is my son's birthday of 4 years and he was diagnosed with a blood disorder this afternoon. More tests and doctor's visits tomorrow and I can only hope they find the root cause faster than a failing Marshall Mosty fuel pump! :oops: (couldn't resist!)

So, Team Houston may have to take a rain check on the BBQ Challenge this time around (unless some others want to volunteer to cook for our AI/CMC crowd.) I recommend we put our efforts into the audio-visuals after hours this time, and let the good folks at NASA Texas host the Saturday nite dinner!

PS- I still have every intention of coming this weekend but am taking it day by day! As Corey (and Cinderella) said earlier..."you don't know what you've got, 'til it's gone!" Miss all you guys (even the PITAs) and hope to get on track to see you all soon!!!

-=- Todd

<on edit>> My PITA comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I realize Adam & I can be PITAs as well sometime! :lol:

Mike Bell
05-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Todd,

I feel terrible about the news of your son's condition, hopefully you'll get some good news soon. It is hard when illness hits the little ones, let us know if there is anything we can do to help you or your family out. Club racing is optional, life is not.

marshall_mosty
05-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Todd,
I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I've been through some "scary" situations with my kiddos and it's never easy to see your little one's hurt or sick.

As Mike mentioned, if there's ANYTHING we can do to help out, let us know. We're here for "family", as disfunctional as we seem most times.

On a lighter note...

I can only hope they find the root cause faster than a failing Marshall Mosty fuel pump! (couldn't resist!) Hopefully it was just QC issues and nothing on my side. We'll find out.

mitchntx
05-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear about little Covini.

"Blood disorder" can be a lot of things. Just remember the man upstairs will never burden us with more than we can carry.

Odds are looking better for my appearance in Houston. But, like you said ... 1 day at a time.

chicane23
05-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Very sorry to hear about your son Todd, please let me know if I can help in any way.

I hope all tests come back in his favor.

Please keep us all posted on his condition

AllZWay
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Todd... Sorry to hear about your kiddo, but I hope everything turns out good for him.

James

CMC17
05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
My thoughts are with ya and the Covini family! Let me know if there is anything I can do... I'm here for ya's.

Todd Covini
05-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys...we'll see what this week brings.
I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.

-=- Todd