PDA

View Full Version : Previous Nationals competitors....

AI#97
05-16-2008, 12:18 PM
So, I sat down and figured out what the cost would be to go, and knowing that I always spend more than I think for events, I need to know what you guys budgeted and actually spent for going to Nats.

My trust/rusty calculator is blinking $4k... am I far off...?

Thanks.

mitchntx
05-16-2008, 12:53 PM
We spent about $1000 in fuel last year when it was under $3.00 per gallon.

Adam Ginsberg
05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
You'll need:

1. At least one full set of fresh, shaved and heat cycled RA-1's. Since you're pretty damn serious about the Nats, take 2 sets, plus 1 or 2 individual tires.
2. 2 sets of bedded pads.
3. Your entire spares inventory - everything is important...leave nothing behind.
4. Fuel costs - it's ~2500mi round trip for the tow. You should already know what your car uses in a typical race weekend.

Past format's have been:

1 20min practice session each day (might be 15min)
1 20min qual each day
1 40min sprint race each day (Fri, Sat and Sun)

Thursday is practice ALL day. If you are good at learning a new track quickly, DON'T spend the $400 for the Wednesday practice (not worth it, IMO).

So....
2 sets of Toyos - $205 (http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/track-safety/toyo/ra1-unshaved)*8 = $1640 (not including M&B)
2 sets of pads - $400
$400 entry fee
$100 for paved parking (worth every penny, IMO)
2500mi of fuel = avg of 11mg and $3.50 a gallon - $800
Race car fuel - $300
Cash for.....???

Your $4k total sounds about right.

GlennCMC70
05-16-2008, 01:20 PM
whatever it costs, its worth it. the best week you will ever spend at the track.

AI#97
05-16-2008, 01:21 PM
hmm. forgot about practice day and paved parking... I already have the tires and brakes...not interested in sleeping at the track so lodging and fuel are the main costs. $300 in gas for the car?! Not running 110 octane!

Things are not looking so good right now so I am weighing the rest of the regional season against MO... That and I want to start beating down doors for some sponsorships but since it's so late in the year, I am working on 2 year sign ups... just going to have to play it by ear I guess...

GlennCMC70
05-16-2008, 01:24 PM
sleep at the track. i did a hotel last year on someone elses dime and it was too stressfull getting up early and getting to the track.
there is a party somewhere every night there and you will have a better time that way.
in 2006 i stayed in Irwins trailer. he had a sleeper in the nose.
this year i'm set-up to sleep in mine.

RichardP
05-16-2008, 01:31 PM
I spent less than $300 going to Nationals each of the last two years. Apparently bringing the car increases costs substantially... :(

Richard P.

gt40
05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
I spent less than $300 going to Nationals each of the last two years. Apparently bringing the car increases costs substantially... :(
Yep! Now if I could only get NASA to foot the bill for eaither airfaire or the hotel room (or both!). :D

(At this point, I think ! prefer officiating.)

donovan
05-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Not counting the New engine, New tranny, New Aero, $2,000 in spares, $1,200 for rental RV, Holly plane ticket and rental car $650...

I spend about $4,000....

If you count the list from above and include it in the $4K... I spend about $12,000 for Nationals last year...

Was it worth finishing 18th place and watching the last 8 minutes from the kitty liter... Hell Yes!

I'm going back this year, my budget is around $4,500 round trip including Holly plane ticket.

DD

AI#97
05-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Not counting the New engine, New tranny, New Aero, $2,000 in spares, $1,200 for rental RV, Holly plane ticket and rental car $650...

I spend about $4,000....

If you count the list from above and include it in the $4K... I spend about $12,000 for Nationals last year...

Was it worth finishing 18th place and watching the last 8 minutes from the kitty liter... Hell Yes!

I'm going back this year, my budget is around $4,500 round trip including Holly plane ticket.

DD

:shock:

Check your own signature!

donovan
05-16-2008, 11:24 PM
They have very nice facilities, bring your tent and pack a lunch!

I'm not doing the RV again this year... Camping out with the trailer...

:D
DD

dirwin
05-19-2008, 02:57 PM
You should be able to get one car up there ready to go for $4k pretty easily.

Adam Ginsberg
05-19-2008, 03:25 PM
No surprise coming from me, but....sleep at the track. Mid-O has decent facilities (make sure to bring sandals to shower in, however) - it's not the Hilton, but it's not terrible.

Work out an arrangement with someone that has an enclosed trailer. In 2006, I slept in Covini's MH in exchange for some fuel. In 2007, I slept in GL's trailer that JB brought his car in. I'm not racing @ Mid-O in 2008.

If you're on the bubble in affording it, don't spend the $$ on a hotel room. As Glenn mentioned, there's a party every night at the track. Hell, JWL's "Borat" impression is reason enough to camp. ;)

AI#97
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I really appreciate the info gang... I am down to a point of making the decision to either do the rest of the regional races...or just nationals.... I am working on finding a way to get someone else to pay the bills....buut only time will tell....

MW....the broke one...

Adam Ginsberg
05-19-2008, 06:03 PM

As I recall....I think you had transportation help the first year. :)

RichardP
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM

As I recall....I think you had transportation help the first year. :)

I had lots of help both years for which I was grateful. I'm hoping I'm as lucky again this year. The parties are just too good to miss. I think there is even some good racing in there somewhere... :D

Richard P

Mason
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Team Down Under Racing is now registered for Nationals (in hopes of snagging #75!). I reserved a paved parking spot and now they want to know if I have a preference as to where. Didn't all the AI / CMC TX guys park together last year? If so, I can tell Adrian to try to group us together.

Secondly, regarding Thursday practice, I can't seem to find the link now, but the schedule I saw was not an all day open practice. Each group gets X4 15 or 20 minute sessions over the course of the day. Soooo, if you need more time, look into Wednesday.

MCM - R

GlennCMC70
05-20-2008, 08:51 PM
your right on all accounts Mason. tell A to put you w/ all the other TX AI/CMC guys.
if you have never driven Mid O, the Wed all day practice would be good to have if you are not worried about money/tires. but i'll warn you, Ohio gets lots of rain that time of year. i did my all day practice in the poring rain, but i think it helped me. seeing a track for the first time in the rain (and a for sure a track like Mid O) scared the crap out of me - litterally. but the next day in the dry, i was much calmer. grip adds alot of confidence.

anyways, those uf us who have been there will help w/ those TX guys who havent.
i have the Mid Ohio school DVD and its full of good info. also watch the Speed Cast Productions stuff form last year.

Todd Covini
05-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Prep the car and bring lots of spares.
Arrive early.
Park on the paved AI/CMC area.
Do the practice day.
Stay at the track.
Bring Shiner Bock to share.
Listen carefully at driver meetings.
Bring your game face and your fun face.
Race hard.
Bring your rule book.
Get a Texas podium position.
Leave late.

...and you'll create a memorable racing experience you'll never forget.

-=- Todd

gt40
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
I had lots of help both years for which I was grateful. I'm hoping I'm as lucky again this year. The parties are just too good to miss. I think there is even some good racing in there somewhere... :D

Richard PLooks like I'll be there again this year, officiating, so be nice. Don't make me do what I did to Matt King! :wink: :wink:

Todd Covini
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
You were the one who caused his starter to fall off on track? :shock: