PDA

View Full Version : 93 5.0 in a Bronco

mitchntx
05-21-2008, 02:41 PM
All I really know about the motor is that it's a speed density EFI motor. And the upper intake sits opposite that of a Mustang.

It still runs good and uses no oil.

In another life, a cobbled together early model 289 short blocks (flat top pistons with large domed heads) with later model 302 heads (small combustion chamber heads used with dished pistons) and was able to get 10:1 compression

If I wanted to squeeze some more torque out this stock 302, CMC rules be damned, specifically, what would I need to source? 275-300 ft lbs is the target.

AI#97
05-21-2008, 03:04 PM
All I really know about the motor is that it's a speed density EFI motor. And the upper intake sits opposite that of a Mustang.

It still runs good and uses no oil.

In another life, a cobbled together early model 289 short blocks (flat top pistons with large domed heads) with later model 302 heads (small combustion chamber heads used with dished pistons) and was able to get 10:1 compression

If I wanted to squeeze some more torque out this stock 302, CMC rules be damned, specifically, what would I need to source? 275-300 ft lbs is the target.

Is it staying in the bronco?

Speed Density electronics don't like radical cams but you might give Comp Cams a call and tell them your application and use. Beyond that, some shorty headers and freeing up the exhaust will work great too. The intake sucks balls as do the heads so you might be better off just doing heads, cam and intake with the current shortblock.

mitchntx
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
The intake sucks balls as do the heads so you might be better off just doing heads, cam and intake with the current shortblock.

From what year? What model? Factory stuff?

AI#97
05-21-2008, 09:29 PM
The intake sucks balls as do the heads so you might be better off just doing heads, cam and intake with the current shortblock.

Are we talking a CMC legal motor or a towing motor for the bronco? LIttle confused...

marshall_mosty
05-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Are we talking a CMC legal motor or a towing motor for the bronco? LIttle confused...

I think he wants to put the Ford motor in his CMC car... right Mitch?? 8)

mitchntx
05-22-2008, 07:14 AM

CMC power levels would be fine.

The wheel base is too short to use as a tow rig. And it has no guts anywhere. But I don't want a stump puller either.

Marshal, if I put a CMC legal Ford motor in my Firebird, it would be unstoppable and unbeatable.

AI#97
05-22-2008, 08:22 AM
well, it's probably at 190/280 now...you can go to all the trouble of locating and installing GT40p heads, cam, headers and all the regular crap to build a SBF into the 300/330 range, and then you are talking about having to do a tune, different injectors and speed density system sucks balls.

I would make the following suggestions in this order.

1. Sell it.
2. Leave the motor alone, put a loud muffler on it to make sound faster.
3. Find a 1st Gen lightning board and look into installing a 351 in it...maybe a crate motor.
4. Paxton or Vortech on what is already in the truck...might have to convert to Mass Air setup.

with the high price of gas....I would go with number one, find an $800 beater with a 4cyl 5spd and drive the piss out of it!

donovan
05-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm sure you remember my 96 Bronco... it was a 351... Mass air... it was a great tow vehicle for the time I used it... it would pull great, cruise down the highway great (granted you had to set the weight in the truck and trailer just right, but once you figured it out, it was not too bad)

I wanted more and bought the F350...

anyway, when looking at Bronco's back a few years ago I drove alot of them... I was very suprised as to how different the 302 and 351 version drove. The 302 just plain sucked, and the 351 had way more than a daily driver needed.

Like Matt said... Sell it...

If you just have to keep it, I would find some GT40 or GT40P heads, Comp Cams has a huge selection of very good off the self cams, I have one in my AI car now, Mild lift with huge TQ and nice HP... add some shorty headers and an exhaust.

You can make the Speed Density work witht the cam, just call Comp and they will help you find a decent cam for the appliation.

Also, one thing that helped my 96 was a Crane Hi-6S ignition setup, cheap kit from summit... I think it was sub-$200 from Summit and comes with the PS91 coil, improved performance and fuel economy.

DD

mitchntx
05-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I have certainly considered selling it. Been on and off that fence numerous times.

But I couldn't replace it with anything as reliable for the money it would fetch. It's a solid ole truck, gets reasonable gas mileage for what it is (14 combined) and it busts right off when I turn the key.

I looked at the maintenance records and I've logged 1800 miles since April of 07 ... :shock:

AI#97
05-22-2008, 12:27 PM
But I couldn't replace it with anything as reliable for the money it would fetch. It's a solid ole truck, gets reasonable gas mileage for what it is (14 combined) and it busts right off when I turn the key.

If those are the reasons you like the truck, then don't modify anything because all that reliability can/will go to crap....murphy's law!!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :lol: