PDA

View Full Version : Racing is a dangerous sport - NASA member dies

BlueFirePony
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Not that we need a reminder that our sport is dangerous despite all the preparation and safety measures.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/news/2008/nasa-regretfully-announces-pas-1.html

Honestly I feel safer in my car on the track than I ever did playing hockey as a goaltender and having razor sharp blades cross over my neck and back of legs and arms as often as it did (not to mention 100mph slapshots at my noggin'). But **it happens.

Adam Ginsberg
05-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Seth and I were standing by T9 talking to Paul Brown and saw this incident happen. It was.....well, it was horrible to say the least.

Never, ever, ever, try to save it when you blow T9. That was this gentleman's mistake that cost him his life. He was in HPDE3 in a street car with only street safety equipment - factory belts, factory seats, no harnesses, no window net, no cage. Given what we watched happen before our eyes, at a minimum, a proper seat, harnesses, and definitely a window net would have helped this man significantly.

Our condolences go out to his family. God speed, Joe.

Rsmith350
05-28-2008, 02:44 PM
At least he went doing something that he loved. Wish the family the best.

Rob Liebbe
05-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Adam,

Your description makes it sounds like there was a partial ejection possibly while the vehicle was in a barrel roll. More information would help us all learn a bit about prevention.

Adam Ginsberg
05-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Without going into major detail out of respect for the family, Rob is correct - he was partially ejected from the car.

A 5 point harness and a window net, more than likely, would have helped him.

Adam Ginsberg
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Apparently, I was mistaken about the equipment in the Mini:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22368

gt40
05-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Damn. Godspeed, Joe... :(

In the second thread referenced, Ryan says a 4-point DOT-approved harness was being used. Was this a case of harness failure, improper usage or installation, or was it simply a shortcoming inherent in 40point harnesses?

I ask because when I instruct, I sometimes ride in cars with Schroth 4-point harnesses. I'd always assumed they were probably capable of controlling the body better than a 3-point harness, but with the additional risk of internal injuries because of the missing crotch-strap.

Now I'm motivated to re-evaluate the safety of a 4-point system.

gt40
05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Joe's family is asking that in lieu of flowers, a donation be made to the Mission at San Juan Capistrano.

I think the Texas AI/CMC group should make a donation as a group. If you want, PayPal me whatever amount you'd like to donate and Saturday, I'll make a donation in our name. Deadline is midnight, Friday.

PayPal: gt40mkii@gmail.com.

mitchntx
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Think bigger picture ...

I suggest we go up on our annual "dues" by $20 and create a "driver's fund".

Donations like this can be made from it. Who knows, maybe one of us might need it some day.

Rsmith350
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM
I like that idea.