PDA

View Full Version : Door Bar Legality (or, will Robert make Hallett this year?)

gt40
06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I got to talking to Marshall and Michael yesterday about door bars. They said that NASCAR-type door bars are now required.

If that's true, then Hallett is most likely a wash. I only have a single door bar in my cage, and chances are damned slim that I'll be able to get NASCAR bars installed before Hallet.

So, I checked out both the CCR's and the AI rules. Here;s what I could find:

From the AI rules:

5.12 Roll Cage
The roll cage must comply with the roll cage standards of the NASA CCR. However, a roll cage may also provide additional chassis stiffening through the use of alternative mounting points. As such, the roll cage mounting points are unrestricted. The roll cage may also pass through the firewall and attach to the front shock towers. Additional bracing may also be welded to the front of the shock tower and extend forward and down to the forward most part of the original frame rail. This bracing may not pass through the shock tower and must not form the upper mounting point for an aftermarket SLA system as the SLA must still remain within the original shock tower. The mounting plate material must conform to the specification in the NASA CCR but the plate size and design is unrestricted. Interior body panels and sheetmetal may be bent or altered to accommodate the roll bar design.
5.13 Door Safety Bars
All vehicles must meet the door safety bar requirements found in the NASA CCR

OK, so the AI rules defer to the CCRs concerning door bars.

From the CR:

15.6.12 Door Bars / Side Impact Protection
At least one (1) door bar on driver side and one (1) on the passenger side must be used.
At least two (2) door bars on the driver side and one (1) door bar on the passenger side
must be installed in all vehicles that obtain a new logbook after January 1st, 2007.
All vehicles, regardless of date of manufacture or date of logbook issuance will be
required to have at least two (2) door bars on the driver side and one (1) door bar on the
passenger side starting January 1st, 2011.
Unless superseded by class rules, modifications to any non-chassis structure (such as
door panels, inner door sheet metal, windows, door internals, etc.) may be made to
accommodate any allowed door bar configuration. However, removal of material and /
or modifications is limited to 1) the least amount to accommodate the door bar(s), and 2)
can serve no other function. Holes in the door jam (B-pillar) may be permitted to
accommodate door bars; however the structure should not be “notched” so as to weaken
it.

So, if I'm reading this right, my car should be legal with a single door bar until January, 2011 as long as I don't have to get a new logbopok, correct?

What would cause me to have to get a new logbook? That is the key question, I think.

(And for those of you who are thinking, "Don't be a cheapass, get the NASCAR bars!" I'm getting them as soon as possible, but I really don't think that'll happen before Hallett.)

GlennCMC70
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
i dont think NASCAR type bars are required, just 2 driverside door bars.
as for the 2011 date, i think CMC decided to make them manditory in 2007. i'm not 100% sure about AI.

GlennCMC70
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
its possible all you will need to do is add a 2nd bar.
myself and Mitch could do this for you in a couple hours at his shop.

gt40
06-04-2008, 11:04 AM
its possible all you will need to do is add a 2nd bar.
myself and Mitch could do this for you in a couple hours at his shop.That would be great, provided I can get the car to you, but if I'm going to do that, I'd jsut as soon put in NASCAR bars.

But, getting back to my original post. It APPEAS that my car, with a pre-2007 logbook, is legal until 1/1/2011 UNLESS I have to get a new logbook. That's my interpretation, at least.

AI#97
06-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Robert, with the carnage that has occurred in the past at Hallet, I would not show up unless you had Two door bars or NASCAR bars for safety... Keep in mind this could end up being a 40+ car field at hallet... larger than ANY of us have ever dealt with and MANY of us are rusty as hell at that track!

mitchntx
06-04-2008, 12:48 PM
If you have a valid NASA issued logbook and that logbook is on file with the Texas region and it was issued prior to 01/01/2007, it appears only a single door bar is required in AI.

Interesting ...

I would ping Donovan to make sure ...

GlennCMC70
06-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Robert, i've made a few calls. any of you AI guys know the awnswer to this?

gt40
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd love to add another bar or NASCAR bars to the car, but logistically, I don't think I can get the car to a shop right now, unless I borrow a truck and trailer. Any takers?

The only other alternative I can think of is to get a second door bar added to my car at my place. Again, any takers? I'll pay extra for off-site work, of course.

AI#97
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Robert, i've made a few calls. any of you AI guys know the awnswer to this?

It's currently legal....not smart or safe in my mind, but currently legal by the CCR which is not superceded by anything in the AI rules set.