PDA

View Full Version : Need a HANS recert?

mitchntx
06-06-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=2121

As all NASA racers should be aware by now, there is a new safety requirement that all NASA racers must use an SFI 38.1 rated Head and Neck device by July 2, 2008 (this was extended one month due to the backlog in getting new devices out to racers). Most races have never used a H&N device before and are actively searching for the one that fits their needs and budget. However, other racers already have a device which is on the list of approved SFI 38.1 devices ( http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1 ) but it is old enough to have been produced before the stickers were used. In my case, I have a HANS device (Extra 20 model, size large) that I have used for several years and it does not have the SFI sticker.

Rather then buying a new SFI 38.1 device, HANS is offering existing HANS device owners the option to retro-certify their device. I opted for this option as there was a significant cost savings from buying a new device. A new HANS device would cost $600+ (depending on model, style and size) while the retro-certification process is just $15!! HANS defines the process like this:

SFI Retrocertification Program
HANS Performance Products may retrocertify existing devices to SFI standards providing they meet strict criteria. Devices must not be painted to receive this certification. New tethers and anchors may be required also. Send devices to us after purchasing the service. Make sure your device is clearly marked with your name and order number. Turnaround on retrocertifications is two days.

Here's how the process works:

1) Owners must go to the HANS website ( http://hansdevice.com/site/index.html ) and place an order for the retro-certification process. At that time, you choose the return shipping method (multiple methods are available) that works best for you. The total for me came to $15 + shipping ($19.86 for UPS Ground). Once the order is placed, I was assigned an Order Number.

2) Put your name and order number on the device (I put it on a piece of paper and taped it to the top of my HANS with clear shipping tape) and ship it to HANS in Georgia. I shipped it via FedEx Ground, insured for the full replacement amount, for under $14.

3) Once HANS receives your device they will inspect it for wear and tear and then identify any items that need to be replaced to make it SFI 38.1 legal. A customer service rep for HANS will call you to walk you through the options available and approve any changes to the order. For me, I needed to get a new set of tethers and since I was already used to the fixed tethers, I opted to stay with those for $40. I then received an email with the updated order total ($15 + $40 + shipping).

4) Once HANS has completed the retro-certification process they apply the SFI sticker (stamped with the month/year of the recertification) and ship the device back using the method chosen in your original order. You also receive an email with the tracking inforamtion.

I placed my initial order on May 19th. I shipped the device to HANS on the 20th and they received in on the 27th (took longer because of the Memorial Day holiday). I was contacted on the 29th and my device was shipped out on the 30th. I received my newly certified HANS device on June 4th along with a copy of my order and a new HANS baseball hat. That's a total of 16 days, including a holiday.

I checked out the device last night and was impressed. The new tethers are very nice and include the upgraded metal latches. To my surprise, these new latches do work with the older style anchors (new ones cost $55-65). They even replaced the pad on the top of the device with a new thick rubber pad instead of the thin cloth that was velcroed in place before.

So, if you have an older HANS device that does not have the SFI 38.1 sticker, this is a really nice option that allows you to continue to use your device and meet the new NASA safety requirements without breaking the bank!

Hope this helps!
Rick
944 Spec: #43-Thompson, #10-Miller

Genoa Motorsports Country Club

The CCR is your friend, please use it: 2008 CCR

Good info ....

donovan
06-06-2008, 01:48 PM
I had to do the same thing... I did this a few months after the recieved their SFI rating... it took about 2 weeks to processes and get returned.

DD

gt40
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Do the certs ever expire? Mine has a 38.1 sticker dated August, 2006.

donovan
06-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I asked when I had mine done... the answer was "only if you test the unit" or " you somehow drop the unit" and "if you see any delamination" send it in for a recert.

DD

gt40
06-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I asked when I had mine done... the answer was "only if you test the unit" or " you somehow drop the unit" and "if you see any delamination" send it in for a recert.

:D

Its good to know at least SOMNETHING I have is good to go racing... :?